•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Hosting Server Sorting out serverlog

so my serverlogs saved as .txt but its impossible to find anything what im looking for as the data isnt sorted.
is there a way or any tool to sort out the txt file? thanks!

ent

Movie Battles II Team
I guess, you probably opened it in some simple text editor like notepad?
Try Notepad++ or Sublime Text 2.

yes that made the logs more readable
but i have now a different problem...after i deleted serverlog and restarted the server, new serverlog.txt is created but its empty. players joined and left but nothing in the log. shouldnt info immediately appear in log?

ent

Movie Battles II Team
If the file was created by the game then it should have been getting filled with something.
Try to close the server, remove the log once again, restart the server. Maybe some weird bug.

no it still doesnt work no idea why....

it would be enough for me actually just to log everything what i see in cmd terminal while server is running. its also much easier to read anyway.
after some research, apperantly its not possible to watch and record the output from a batch file or program.
so i installed this small command line utility called mtee MTEE, Win32 Commandline Standard Stream Splitter with

but i dont know how to use it. i tried adding commands inside mbIIserver.bat but didnt work. can you help me?

*and the installation should be correct, when i open a cmd window and type mtee/?, options appear

ent

Movie Battles II Team
How do you enable logging in the game? On startup or afterward?
No help from me for the unknown software.

Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
but i have now a different problem...after i deleted serverlog and restarted the server, new serverlog.txt is created but its empty. players joined and left but nothing in the log. shouldnt info immediately appear in log?
Are you sure you didn't something in the config? Maybe you've changed path for logging? Open you config and see what is set for seta g_log.
Are you sure you opened actual serverlog.txt? Maybe you accidentally opened some other file, in wrong folder? Search other folders for serverlog.txt.
Maybe an editor with one you open a log locked the file? Close an editor, restart server and watch will log grow in size or not.
Too see recent changes in log you have to reopen it in the editor, editor isn't a console, it isn't real-time.
it would be enough for me actually just to log everything what i see in cmd terminal while server is running. its also much easier to read anyway.
You can add to command line of your server:
Code:
+set logfile 3
You'll get a new log called qconsole.log. Maybe it will fit your needs.

Last edited:

Cat Lady

Movie Battles II Team Retired
You've double checked that your server have rights to BOTH create the file (which it seems to be doing fine) and write to it? Also, maybe your server.cfg contains settings for delayed writing to logs?

I *hate* debugging such issues for windows. Boy, I really hate it.

You can add to command line of your server:
Code:
+set logfile 3
You'll get a new log called qconsole.log. Maybe it will fit your needs.[/QUOTE]

this solved my problem thanks. sry for replying late