SeV's Saber System Fix

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Bare with me and try to understand, as I lay bare some of my thoughts on the saber system. Please listen uncritically to a player who's cared for this game and sabering ystem for over 8 years. Btw, this spawned from a reply to the PB post by Apex, but the reply turned into this...

Introduction: Skip to suggestions if you want.

I think the current PB system is good, but as stassin mentioned you can sometimes accidentally PB. Another issue I see with this system is that attacking like a fucking maniac is 90% better than focusing on defensive play because of parries. In the saberclash-systems parrying happened less frequently because of halfswing exchanges. Also, Angling ur saber when both attacking and defending, and countering with proper timing was the old way of playing and I know stassin thinks it was more random than not, and therefore bad and didn't take skill, yet I disagree. The old system was full of depth and took a great deal of skill, just as the current one does. They're just different.

So why is spamming such a viable way of playing, as opposed to focusing on PBs, correct timing and skillful countering etc?
Well, because the fucking attacks PARRY and a parry is better than a PB (ignoring perks for now).

In alot of situations, alot of the time, maybe more than 70 percent of a duel, parrying blocks more hits than PBing. Parrying can block hits at 0 bp. It completely trivializes the current PB system, because at 0 BP you can just go Yoda mode and jump around, swinging and parrying, then jump to reset and repeat. With red u can use the stagger aswell for an added 0 BP bonus defense.

In essence, my gripe is not with the current PB system, but with how it was implemented and what is missing. Tweaks, not revamps or returns to old systems. If skilled veteran players all put their heads together I'm sure we can come up with improvements that'll make the current system as much fun as the old one.

So...

This list of suggestions isn't a take it or leave it whole course, it's a buffet of suggestions to somehow spice up the current rather dull and lifeless system. (it sounds like I'm saying it's bad, but what I'm saying is that it's more boring, not worse or that it takes less skill. Why do you think people left? Because saber system wasn't fun for them anymore, but it's fun for sisi I assume...)

Here are my suggestions for a better saber system.

#1 Non-Trivial Counters:
A successful PB allows the user to Counter. That Counter will 'override' a normal swing (pass through a parry) and deal extra BP damage. Only works on the first swing after a PB.

Comment: Not extra BP by a huge amount, but enough to make countering and counter-countering a desirable tactic for skilled people as compared to mindlessly spamming combos (whether they be 2 hit combos followed by quick resets to get ACM or not... it's still mindless spam that takes little skill. I don't think it's much different from 4 hit combo spamming with yellow, it's just an evolution of the same playstyle.)

On the BP multiplier, I don't know if 1.1 swingblocked and 1.3 unswingblocked will be enough, but the main point of this is not the increased BP damage, though that is a required thing to make counters less trivial and more desirable. The real focus is on the fact that this allows people who can PB+counter to BYPASS 0 bp parry spamming retards.

(Extra note: Check my youtube videos of sisi vs sekundus and you'll see alot of retarded 0 BP jump spam. Sometimse it lasts for 30 seconds spamming at 0 bp before sisi dies to sekundus)

#2 More low bp parry fixes:
Getting hit while running and swinging without swingblock causes the user to lose his lightsaber if he is below 1/2 BP and stagger if he is above 1/2 BP.

Comment: First, the values can be adjusted down to be 1/4 disarm threshold or even lower.

Reason and history: many have suggested that a jedi/sith's movement speed be slowed at low/0 BP in the past. This would interfere with open mode gameplay in a non-trivial way. My suggestion does not harm open mode gameplay, it just makes it slightly more important to be aware of your BP in-case of an enemy jedi/sith. I mean for fucks sake, a 0 BP sith in open can take on a bunch of noob jedi by spamming parries and using red stagger and BP is supposed to be for blocking lightsaber attacks. You shouldn''t be just fine without BP against a jedi/sith... as said before it trivializes PB and the entire MB2 system, returning us to a base-like state of retarded spam. This 0 skill shit has to stop, and suggestion #1 and #2 help solve this problem. There is no good reason not to implement.

#3 Cyan Perk
Yes, the cyan parry perk has to get the fuck out of here. it encourages a retarded, 0 skill noobish playstyle that I've tried to crush with suggestions #1 and 2.

Comments: If cyan has to be removed from the game as a useless style, so be it. But cyan's parry perk opposes all that is good about the current saber system and has to go.

#4 Cyan revamp
Cyan's first swing is yellow speed, blue dmg (ish), and with each swing in the combo/chain it increases in speed and damage until it is blue speed, yellow damage at around 4 swings? Upon reset, returns to being Yellow speed, blue dmg.

New perk:
Performing an Mblock (with PB), makes the counter start at blue speed, yellow BP dmg level.

Comments: Cyan is too weak without the derpy, SHITTY parrying perk. Revamping cyan is no small matter. My first suggestion is to make cyan's first swing slower, but each subsequent swing increase in speed within the combo chain. First swing speed starts out around yellow level , with blue dmg, and as we get deeper into the swings, speed and damage increase to reverse, blue speed and yellow dmg. This happens for combos and single swings alike within a given combo-chain (You know, before the reset. So you can combo ur way up to extremely fast halfswings). This would make cyan a unique aggressive style instead of the derpy, half-assed style that it currently is.

The perk requires skill to be good, unlike the disgusting parry perk.

#5 Staff changes
Staff mblocks no longer stagger the opponent. Instead, they get an active verson of the stagger on the currently unused saberthrow button.

Active stagger: Works like the mblock stagger, has a cooldown of 8 seconds, requires a PB+button press to succeed so that it still takes timing and some skill.

Comments: The current staff stagger mechanic is simply too overpowered considering staff's def and off stats. It also slows duels to a crawl. It is simply too overpowered. Yes it takes a little bit of skill to use, but if you practice it you can perform it just as easily as you PB and thus the amount of skill needed to execute it is not in proportion to how good it is.

My suggestion is a nerf to the stagger mechanic. Even if it got removed entirely staff would still be an excellent style because it has good defense and offensive stats. Also, the 8 sec cooldown can be shown like the slap cooldown is currently.

#6 Slap/kick
This one is simple, up the cooldown from 2.5 sec to 4 seconds.

Comments/reasoning: Slap is often spammed. Making the cooldown longer does not impact duels in a negative way, as there's no saberclash facehug anymore, just regular old facehug which doesn't have much of an effect. The second reason for increasing slap cooldown is that it helps guide players towards using the PB+Counter mechanic that I mentioned above. It also helps make revamped cyan playstyle more dangerous. It reinforces proper use of slap, combats spamming it constantly.

#7 Duals changes
Duals stab no longer gives the user an ACC.
You can only parry with the first swing in a combo.
Duals stab can parry+knockback. Main defensive mechanic on duals.
Duals have slightly more BP multiplier than before to compensate for loss of combo-spammed parries as a defensive mechanic.

Comments: It's quite simple really. Duals is a spammy playstyle that can completely ignore PBs. When playing duals, you NEVER EVER focus on PBing, instead only on attacking, parrying, stabbing, gaining ACM and running away to regen BP... Very gay style of play atm.

#8 Red changes
Red loses PB BP drain perk.

New Perk: The parry bypass from PBing+Countering lasts for the entire combo instead of for only 1 swing.

In addition, Red gets a new ability. Pressing the saberthrow button makes reds first swing a halfswing, exactly like the old weaponswitch/twirl trick, but HP damage is decreased to 50 HP. (To balance in open-mode) and movement speed is slowed to 80 percent for 2 sec after pressing the button. Lasts 2 sec before expiring. Takes 0.5 sec before you can attack after you've pressed the button and activated the ability.

Cooldown 8 seconds

Comments: The old red PB perk makes it a very strong stance and without the perk it's perhaps not strong enough. The Parry bypass perk allows reds counter-combo's to be effective and is a more attack oriented perk as it bypasses parry defenses. Also, the counter combo can be slapped making it a more risky perk with less success chance. All this serves to increase the skill it takes to play with and against red while slightly nerfing the defensive power.

The new halfswing ability is needed for red to give it a more attack-based flavour. I don't care what anyone says, red should have this ability. If an 8 sec cooldown proves to be too short, then increase it to 10 seconds, Idc. With such a long cooldown it is trivial in the actual duel itself, but serves to spice things up and keep players on their toes against red, knowing that at any moment the Red user can go brutal offense. It gives red more unique flavour similar to playing against the current stagger staff. If a style has a mechanic you cannot ignore, that gives personality to that style. Red is an iconic aggressive style so why not give it this ability? It is not overpowered at all compared to the 8+ BP drain on PB perk, and if implemented with the HP dmg nerf to swings in that combo it won't make the style OP in open either, though it'll give red users an opportunity to finish off facehugging gunners that they've deflected down to low HP. Another bonus, though not a dueling bonus, still worth noting.

#9 Blue changes
Make blue spins fast so that you can utilize those combos in combat and not be afraid of spinning.

Comments: Blue is already a good, unique, fun style loved by many. Perhaps it's a tad strong but that's to be expected because of the parry shit. With my PB+Counter suggestion bypassing parries for a single swing, it should help balance things out vs spammy styles like blue. The above suggestion makes blue users able to attack in more varied ways, and I know everyone would appreciate it if spinning didn't fuck them over with blue. It helps even the slight nerf that the PB+Counter introduces to blue in a non OP or otherwise annoying or roundabout way.

Extra note: It would be cool if you could slow down blue counters just a tad, and make blue users able to counter with a w swing in a proper manner. Think of a kendo strike, that's the kind of blue counter I'd like to see more of. Make this new blue counter as prevalent about as prevalent as the yellow left swing counter.

#10 Force powers.
Force Speed becomes a neutral force power.

Jedis get Force Heal.

lvl 1 cost 4 - drains 20 fp per sec, heals 5 hp per second. User is immobile (Kneeling heal stance)
lvl 2 cost 6 - drains 10 fp per sec, heals 6 hp per sec. User is immobile (Kneeling heal stance)
lvl 3 cost 8 - drains 10 fp per sec, heals 10 per sec. User can move while healing.

Note: I'd like speed to be implemented regardless of heal. There's an argument for giving Jedis force grip. Sith can use lightning (sith Sorcery), but all force users can use grip to some extent and as Kyle said, the forcepower itself is not evil, it's how you use it. So you can put grip in both jedi and sith if my force heal suggestion is not to your liking.

Comments: Why? Speed is needed in the current dueling system to counter the retarded backslash and with jedi's being the only ones to have speed, it makes sith less versatile in dueling. Also, the many implications in open recommend speed. If sith have speed... there are so many tactical implications. They had it before, they can have it again. It's worth a try. People want it, old vets, newer players, recognized MB2 personalities. So many ppl are asking for this. So give it to them.

The specifics of force heal balancing can be changed to suit the balance. My values are just placeholder suggestions.

Last edited:

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Yeap. Apart from Stassin, maybe.
That's absurd. Just because i can see how everything is balanced and the reasoning, doesn't mean i don't agree the system isn't "fun". Why don't you try your own saber system i'm sure it'll be epic.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
What, exactly, is wrong with the saber system then? I find it the most balanced system in years; the easiest to pick up (yet hard to master). I was on the dueling server last night teaching about 4 people simultaneously, all of whom had displayed an interest in the system and seemed to really enjoy it compared to previous builds.

Make little changes if you wish, just no more dramatic overhauls or I too am done with this.

I'm pretty sure this thread is filled with numerous interpretations and examples of what, exactly, is wrong with this saber system. I don't think you threatening "being done with this" is really going to prevent the Dev team from making changes or "dramatic overhauls" if that's what they see fit.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
Dramatic overhauls are not needed.
Any more overhauls will kill this dueling community even more than it already has been.
My saying that was just exasperation and frustration with the fact that despite having a perfectly viable system, there will always be naysayers.

Here are the ONLY changes that could possibly be needed:

* remove red bp drain on pb;
* give yellow ability to use 5 hits with careful execution;
* purple is in a good position: kills noobs easy (aka go-to open style); struggles against proficient users of red/blue/yellow

Any more overhauls will just dissuade new players. And the remaining vets will probably quit out of boredom with this incessant obsession to change the system for the sake of change.
Any changes to the system should be discussed with the dueling community as a whole. I will be as vocal as is necessary on the forums - and as a tester - so as to help preserve the dueling system that I have enjoyed for a good 9 years.

Last edited:

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Dramatic overhauls are not needed.
Any more overhauls will kill this dueling community even more than it already has been.
My saying that was just exasperation and frustration with the fact that despite having a perfectly viable system, there will always be naysayers.

And the remaining vets will probably quit out of boredom with this incessant obsession to change the system for the sake of change.
Any changes to the system should be discussed with the dueling community as a whole. I will be as vocal as is necessary on the forums - and as a tester - so as to help preserve the dueling system that I have enjoyed for a good 9 years.

First of all, I will point out that this system is as far removed from the first MBII saber system, as the first system was to base, or perhaps even further.
That you've enjoyed an everchanging and evolving system for 9 years speaks to why we need to continue pushing for changes that are beneficial, cool, fun and/or otherwise improve gameplay. Nobody is trying to change the system simply for the sake of changing it. Some of us actually care enough about the state of dueling to try and improve upon gameplay instead of trying to preserve imbalanced mechanics.

I'm not saying we should 'dramatically overhaul' the system, like you keep reiterating. I'm making suggestions based on what I think the system would benefit from. By benefit I mean, gain more depth, become more fun and engaging or balance things out.

Nothing I have suggested in this thread is a major overhaul. They might be big or small changes, but they make sense to me. For example, the non-trivial counter idea. It might not be implemented like I suggested, but some sort of way to make counters non-trivial would benefit the system imo.

Your Idea of giving yellow 5 swings on a condition or skillful execute does not seem to me to be the best way to buff yellow. It would increase the parry(Spam) > PB (skill) problem that has long plagued MBII dueling. I suggest the non-trivial counters to buff yellow instead. Thought actually goes into my suggestions, and I consider some of the drawbacks or possible effects on dueling. If you do the same and come to the conclusion that what this system needs is more Parry spam at 0 bp and more backslash stagger, I dare say the devs must take your input on the system with more than one grain of salt.

Perserving a status quo that has problems out of an unfounded fear that some people may leave if you change stuff, instead of trying to fix those problems, is a rather apprehensible approach to the issue.

What I want is a better saber system. That will never change. I will always keep trying to improve the saber system even though whatever I say usually either falls on deaf ears or is derailed and distorted.

-I see problems with the system.
-I suggest some ways to fix what I perceive as problems. (others may enjoy base-esque 0 bp monkey jumping parrying skill-less crap, but not me)
-People either ignore what I say and derail the thread or growl at me for daring to question the bastion of utter perfection that is the current system.

Well I say fuck that. I love the saber system and I want to keep improving it so that we can all enjoy a better system in the future. What is wrong with that?

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
"Thought actually goes into my suggestions"

I've been making suggestions regarding the saber system for years, buddy. Not much thought went into the yellow one, admittedly (I don't use yellow) but it's something that I know a few yellow users (Hlev/N) would warm to.

Backslash stagger has been removed...so no comprende the point you're making there (?).

I want the saber system to be improved, too; and I shall stop showing a front towards you, and read over your suggestions. All I am saying is that we must maintain the intuitiveness and relatively 'noob friendly' aspect that the current saber system has. A lot of people have come to dueling, fresh from open/other games, and have started down the path you, myself, sek, etc. started many years ago. We all know, through our experiences, that the constant reshuffling and dissecting of the saber system caused a lot of frustration/permanent rqs/etc.

Let us call upon these experiences and act as a group, so as to ensure that the current wave of new duelists don't have to experience the same.

AND SO - with that having been said, here are my thoughts on your suggestions:

#1 Non-Trivial Counters:
A successful PB allows the user to Counter. That Counter will 'override' a normal swing (pass through a parry) and deal extra BP damage. Only works on the first swing after a PB.

THOUGHTS: Good in theory, but will result in slower styles (red/purp) suffering a bit due to how easy it is to anticipate and react to them. However, Red vs Red would be rather interesting (offensive vs counterdefensive). Different gameplay styles could emerge.

#2 More low bp parry fixes:
Getting hit while running and swinging without swingblock causes the user to lose his lightsaber if he is below 1/2 BP and stagger if he is above 1/2 BP.

THOUGHTS: Would ensure that people mindlessly spamming A/D hits with yellow have to swingblock! Me gusta. People should get into the habit of walking, anyway, and it would discourage 'kiting'. (However, would make it harder for yellow/blue to duel red - a tactic used by many is to kite red users, initiating a 4-hit combo but moving away from the red user - anticipating a follow-up hit from the opponent's part)

#3 Cyan Perk
Yes, the cyan parry perk has to get the fuck out of here. it encourages a retarded, 0 skill noobish playstyle that I've tried to crush with suggestions #1 and 2.

THOUGHTS: I don't want Cyan to be removed, but it REALLY doesn't seem to have any place whatsoever. Whereas every other style has a specific and clear-cut niche (e.g. defensive style, offensive style, promoting a counterattack playstyle, bonuses for staggers etcetc), Cyan doesn't.

It is difficult to conjure up any role that Cyan could have/has, other than (I paraphrase) a "0 skill noobish playstyle"

#4 Cyan revamp
Cyan's first swing is yellow speed, blue dmg (ish), and with each swing in the combo/chain it increases in speed and damage until it is blue speed, yellow damage at around 4 swings? Upon reset, returns to being Yellow speed, blue dmg.

New perk:
Performing an Mblock (with PB), makes the counter start at blue speed, yellow BP dmg level.

THOUGHTS: Actually pretty decent. Would result in cyan - like purple is - being an 'advanced' style, i.e. one that requires a bit more thought; utilising the 'risk vs reward' system.

#5 Staff changes
Staff mblocks no longer stagger the opponent. Instead, they get an active verson of the stagger on the currently unused saberthrow button.

Active stagger: Works like the mblock stagger, has a cooldown of 8 seconds, requires a PB+button press to succeed so that it still takes timing and some skill.

THOUGHTS: As a stave user, I would have to disagree. Against the average joe, staff is very powerful if you know how to: stagger; utilise 4-hit combos with yaw; use the backstab a lot.

Staff is a very powerful style in the right hands. HOWEVER: against someone who knows how to use confusing attacks/fakes, staff's perk is all but thrown down the drain, and becomes blue stance with slightly better offensive capabilities - but no lunge.

If anything, increase the stagger's cooldown from 3 (?) seconds to 5 or so - but no more. Staff is in a good place, and it has taken people almost a year to realise this (I see more stave users nowadays than I ever did before, as people have noticed how potent it can be when carefully executed). The stagger is strong; but so is yellow's dfa, or red's stagger.

Increase the cooldown, and leave it as that. Reduce staff's BP damage (should be less than yellow, in my honest opinion).

#6 Slap/kick
This one is simple, up the cooldown from 2.5 sec to 4 seconds.

THOUGHTS: Agreed.

#7 Duals changes
Duals stab no longer gives the user an ACC.
You can only parry with the first swing in a combo.
Duals stab can parry+knockback. Main defensive mechanic on duals.
Duals have slightly more BP multiplier than before to compensate for loss of combo-spammed parries as a defensive mechanic.

THOUGHTS: Agreed

#8 Red changes
Red loses PB BP drain perk.

New Perk: The parry bypass from PBing+Countering lasts for the entire combo instead of for only 1 swing.

In addition, Red gets a new ability. Pressing the saberthrow button makes reds first swing a halfswing, exactly like the old weaponswitch/twirl trick, but HP damage is decreased to 50 HP. (To balance in open-mode) and movement speed is slowed to 80 percent for 2 sec after pressing the button. Lasts 2 sec before expiring. Takes 0.5 sec before you can attack after you've pressed the button and activated the ability.

THOUGHTS: I like it! I didn't actually read this before I read the section on counters, but this would serve to alleviate some of the concerns I had regarding slow swing speed etc.
Red needs to lose its defensive perk. Styles shouldn't be afraid of ATTACKING a red user; more, the fear should arise when they themselves are BEING ATTACKED by a red user.

#9 Blue changes
Make blue spins fast so that you can utilize those combos in combat and not be afraid of spinning.

THOUGHTS: Agreed. Spins are the bane of blue, and pretty much result in using fixed combos for fear of the dreaded spin.

Last edited:

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Great feedback agent. I like your staff suggestions. Slightly reducing attack power and increasing the cooldown of stagger will go a long way towards balancing the style while still keeping it interesting and unique. You're right in pointing out how popular it's become. It's encouraging to see people using more styles than just yellow.

Cat Lady

From perspective of casual saber player, the idea of "PB zones" being tied to model - requiring you to keep crosshair at different positions for said, no matter where actual attack (as in incoming blade's tip) comes from, is very unfun. Not to mention that comboing combos is akin to shaking mouse left/right like idiot, making me think I'm playing some Android arcade game, not dueling "simulator".

Now sure how much feasible it is, but block zones being tied to incoming blade - not attacker model - would be MUCH more natural. It would also encourage to attack from more positions, reducing "duels of the walker zombies" much.

/Cat Lady

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
The reason why nobody has suggested tying PB zones to lightsaber attacks is "shaking mouse left/right like idiot", which will cause only a few attacks to be used and then you just yaw them to make it impossible to PB. Atleast if PB is tied to the model you've got a chance to PB yawed swings.

Tbh I find the current PB system the most fun it has ever been. I can finally focus on defense in an active way instead of just angling my saber while walking backwards and looking down.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
The reason why the PB system is as it is, instead of actively moving into the opponent's saber (so a W+A attack would be PB'd with S+A, instead of just looking up etc) is because this proves VERY impractical vs combos.

OJP used a similar PB system. When players use fast combos, it becomes practically impossible to reliably PB each hit if you have to MANUALLY look into each attack's direction/into the blade. The system we have now is a lot more intuitive and easier to get to grips with.

That's absurd. Just because i can see how everything is balanced and the reasoning, doesn't mean i don't agree the system isn't "fun". Why don't you try your own saber system i'm sure it'll be epic.
I did not mean to offend you, apparenly I was misunderstood.

I specifically phrased it the way to clarify I don't know your opinion on this, the only reason I even mentioned you is because you are the one who made this system.

I agree it is probably very hard to re-make the system after such significant changes in the concept of most core mechanics. But a look from side is always helpful.

I just hope you and other devs will listen to the properly argumented feedback and use a bit of common sense after that.

The blocking system is garbage. Made it too easy, too hard. Encourages combo/spam style of play.

Previously blocking made sense. You put your saber to meet theirs. Angle appropriately. That was fun, intuitive and yet took skill to master.
That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. More than enough time has passed to cast judgement.

Plus for adding new styles.
Cons for ruining block.

Not like you needed to change the block system in the first place.

edit; Meh, don't really care. I lost interest in dueling when it was just yellow, yellow, yellow. You finally add new styles but then change blocking?

Should have done it in increments.

Last edited:

Cat Lady

The reason why nobody has suggested tying PB zones to lightsaber attacks is "shaking mouse left/right like idiot", which will cause only a few attacks to be used and then you just yaw them to make it impossible to PB. Atleast if PB is tied to the model you've got a chance to PB yawed swings.

Wouldn't it be easily fixed by adding big huge fat penalties for shaking saber like idiot (aka when it changes zones unnatural way)? Like, PB drained like 50%? Honestly, this whole shaking thing is more in the zone of exploit that need to be fixed, than something we should consider for proper dueling mechanism.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
Wouldn't it be easily fixed by adding big huge fat penalties for shaking saber like idiot (aka when it changes zones unnatural way)? Like, PB drained like 50%? Honestly, this whole shaking thing is more in the zone of exploit that need to be fixed, than something we should consider for proper dueling mechanism.

Why go to such lengths to create a new way of PBing when the current one works fine/is not counter intuitive?

What problems do you find with the current PB system, as a casual duelist (as you said yourself)? Is it not relatively easy to come to grips with? Should we not be encouraging a system that people can pick up relatively easy, but then find it difficult to master? (heck SeV/Sisi/Sek/Myself/Dymb are probably still finding things out about the system that we didn't know/new style combinations/etc).

I echo Stassin's sentiments. I'm all for some changes (see SeV's saber suggestions - I agree with most of them, as they are SMALL changes and won't really result in a massive undertaking), but I am just at a loss when it comes to criticism on the PB system when it is the most clear-cut and easiest to comprehend - and NOT subject to randomness/yaw - of all systems thus far.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
but I am just at a loss when it comes to criticism on the PB system when it is the most clear-cut and easiest to comprehend - and NOT subject to randomness/yaw - of all systems thus far.
What he said. This is the first build I've finally actually liked learning dueling and that is thx to new pbing system. I don't even mind if i don't become the best, to me it is enough to be able to cut down most players in open. And since purple is my favorite bastard child I definitely like pbing. There is so much satisfaction in pbing the enemy and giving back some purple combos, favorite targets are red spammers.

What I still don't understand about this dueling system is, why the hell are most of the dfa moves so strong? I mean, they always block every attack and rek your bp if youre in the way. It is frustrating because you have to wait for the kata to end to finally attack the player, it is game breaking and boring. I remember in the old system at least I could easily win butterfly spammers by doing running attacks and avoiding the butterfly at the same time, it took all the bp out of the enemy. Now all I can do is evasive moves until the kata ends and start playing again. Give dfas bigger weaknesses than just taking a chunk of fp, for now the gain is definitely way too much compared to what you give by using dfa.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
What I still don't understand about this dueling system is, why the hell are most of the dfa moves so strong? I mean, they always block every attack and rek your bp if youre in the way. It is frustrating because you have to wait for the kata to end to finally attack the player, it is game breaking and boring. I remember in the old system at least I could easily win butterfly spammers by doing running attacks and avoiding the butterfly at the same time, it took all the bp out of the enemy. Now all I can do is evasive moves until the kata ends and start playing again. Give dfas bigger weaknesses than just taking a chunk of fp, for now the gain is definitely way too much compared to what you give by using dfa.

This is also one of my main gripes. Automatic attacks that take little skill, but have a big impact compared to the effort you put into it (practically none) are undermining what's good about the current system. The counter argument to butterfly attacks would be that there's a way to slap them down if you time it right, but my stance on this is quite simple. Anything where the effort/skill involved is disproportionate to it's effect should be toned down so the two match. Basically I think that something that takes almost no skill and is quite powerful, shouldn't take alot of skill to counter, yet with many of the remaining auto-attacks like staff butterfly, it remains difficult and dangerous to even try countering them. Hopefully a fix can be found to this, but I just wanted to reiterate my reasoning behind my lack of passion for the various 'auto-attacks' in the game and why I think that perhaps they might be doing the system a disservice by being so easy and strong, and so hard to counter.

Should have done it in increments.

Exactly my words when I first saw the patch. I just hope it can still be fixed or improved on, if not to revert the previous good advantages of old dueling systems, but at least making the new one just as deep, sensible and interesting.

The blocking system is garbage. Made it too easy, too hard. Encourages combo/spam style of play.

Previously blocking made sense. You put your saber to meet theirs. Angle appropriately. That was fun, intuitive and yet took skill to master.
That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. More than enough time has passed to cast judgement.
That was the beauty of old PB: you couldn't do it consistently. Dodging was a viable alternative.