RP servers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will there ever be servers dedicated to RP, with longer rounds? I've only been playing for a few months now, and maybe these were a thing before, but it would be cool to have them back!
Plus FA is not really great for RPing since the rounds are too short

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
It would undoubtedly attract more players to MBII since there's still a JKA/Lugormod and other old starwars games RP community that would migrate here for custom FA files etc.

So as linked in the post above, I tells ya once more. Yes! Do it.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Also it seems that @MaceMadunusus isn't fan of that idea:
Yes, it is for official servers only. We will not be giving out those dlls.
Hosting Server - Time limit removal
Helix said:
Well actually we were discussing for a long time if we should give the server hosts full control of a time range. Make it be completely dependent on the server cvar, not code. I think it'd be a nice addition.
MaceMadunusus said:
If you want to fuck up all balance, sure it is a nice addition.
[SOLVED] - Time

Plus I don't think that would require a lot of time to do, so what is stopping them anyways

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
The reason why it was removed in like 2009? was because the devs at the time disliked RP'ers and acted like little kids, hard coding a 5 min time limit so that RP was no longer feasible in MBII. Yet MBII is literally the best mod for RP out there with the custom FA and stuff. Having an RP friendly community would bring in more players. I've made arguments for the removal of the hard-coded time limit since it was removed like 7 years ago, but the devs have stubbornly refused the idea for SEVEN years.

I haven't gotten through to them yet, but I'm going to keep doing it and I'll always stand with people who want RP back, or even just the possibility of modifying their servers time limits slightly.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
/me reminds everyone that you cannot currently join mid-round making RP pretty stupid in MB2 as you'd have to restart constantly if you removed the time limit. You'd have to reset without that feature regardless.

It isn't just the timelimit being limited that is the problem. It is what I just mentioned + there is no clear indicator on the server list for such a server modification. So people join servers confused (not everyone reads name just sees playercount)

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Sorry but that's the worst excuse i have ever heard. So it's our fault someone doesn't read server name? There's official server named competitive so what is the problem if there would be server named "EU RP SERVER" for example?

I think you need to look up the definition of an excuse. There are stupid people that can't navigate anything other than DOTF in this mod. There are definitely people that don't read server names. No one said it is your fault but it would be something that needed to happen on our end if we were to allow RP. TBH all modded server should be marked on the list (Like FA mods). Marking it on the list also allows it to be easily filtered for people who want RP or dont want RP. Think before you speak.

Reactions: LoU

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
/me reminds everyone that you cannot currently join mid-round making RP pretty stupid in MB2 as you'd have to restart constantly if you removed the time limit. You'd have to reset without that feature regardless.

It isn't just the timelimit being limited that is the problem. It is what I just mentioned + there is no clear indicator on the server list for such a server modification. So people join servers confused (not everyone reads name just sees playercount)

No, you don't have to restart constantly.I'm not talking about open servers where everyone can join, but RP community servers for people with brains. Possibly password protected. Back in b18 there were RP communities with servers consistently sporting 25+ players and I don't remember ever having a respawn issue. You can modify the FA teamfiles to accomodate almost anything + mace you of all people should know respawn can't be an issue given the features of MB2 so quinto is right in saying this sounds more like an excuse than anything else.

Catering to the lowest common denominator is how games become shit (look at WoW). Also, American media is a good example of this. During my 7 year battle with the devs over this, there has been NO reason that have been able to sufficiently accomodate the anti-RP decision of removing the hard-coded timer. You shouldn't be worrying about whether or not ppl can figure stuff out. Usually developers should give players tools and say 'go have fun with these and enjoy yourselves' and not 'we know best how you should play our game, so we will take away whatever things we like on a whim'

I'll be very surprised if anyone can put forward an argument about the hard-coded timers I haven't heard before. I've refuted each and every one multiple times consistently over a 7 year period. None are valid, none will ever be valid. They amount to minor quibbles and foolish concerns at most, and just bad excuses at worst.

I think if MB2 wants to increase its playerbase, they need to expand past the current modes available. Jedi academy offers some that can be used that MB2 isn't using. FFA, CTF, even Siege. MB2 may be a version of siege, but if anyone remembers anything about the original siege, siege was a mode with multiple objectives. When the attacking team got to a certain point, the time extended. The maps were huge.

Not everyone wants to play competitively all the time. Thus the reason why we keep hearing things such as Co-op modes and RP being mentioned. I think the fear is that the new modes may take over what MB2 has about so far.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I'll be very surprised if anyone can put forward an argument about the hard-coded timers I haven't heard before. I've refuted each and every one multiple times consistently over a 7 year period. None are valid, none will ever be valid. They amount to minor quibbles and foolish concerns at most, and just bad excuses at worst.

You've refuted them all and they are not valid and never will be valid? Okay how about RP destroying an entire mod so hard a developer wanted to quit working on it. A mod known as Forcemod 3. It is an entirely valid statement in the JKA community that stupid RP communities tend to take over mods when it is allowed to and FM3 isn't the only one it has happened to. If you want to be all sooooo superior about it you can fuck off because you're wrong on several things you can "refute" but okay.

No, you don't have to restart constantly.I'm not talking about open servers where everyone can join, but RP community servers for people with brains. Possibly password protected. Back in b18 there were RP communities with servers consistently sporting 25+ players and I don't remember ever having a respawn issue. You can modify the FA teamfiles to accomodate almost anything + mace you of all people should know respawn can't be an issue given the features of MB2 so quinto is right in saying this sounds more like an excuse than anything else.

Respawn is an issue until issues with it are fixed and you of all people should know that they aren't. Yes people are able to get around respawns but doesn't mean it isn't a pain in the ass without them. Ohh sooo what if its password protected someone can still join mid round and everyone would have to do a match restart, reselect their classes/models and everything. Pretty stupid inconvenience. If we intend to support it might as well do it right instead of half-assed.

Catering to the lowest common denominator is how games become shit (look at WoW).

You forget that this includes RP. RP is NEVER a large part of ANY community. So we will literally be catering to a minority.

RP is NOT MB2's target audience and never will be.

Timers are hard-coded because its more than just allowing RP. If other servers started changing timers on common levels it would throw off balance of each of those levels. If they made them longer people would get bored and quit impacting the view of the mod. Hard-coded timers is not just an anti-RP thing and saying it is is nothing but ignorance.

You've refuted them all and they are not valid and never will be valid? Okay how about RP destroying an entire mod so hard a developer wanted to quit working on it. A mod known as Forcemod 3. It is an entirely valid statement in the JKA community that stupid RP communities tend to take over mods when it is allowed to and FM3 isn't the only one it has happened to. If you want to be all sooooo superior about it you can fuck off because you're wrong on several things you can "refute" but okay.

Respawn is an issue until issues with it are fixed and you of all people should know that they aren't. Yes people are able to get around respawns but doesn't mean it isn't a pain in the ass without them. Ohh sooo what if its password protected someone can still join mid round and everyone would have to do a match restart, reselect their classes/models and everything. Pretty stupid inconvenience. If we intend to support it might as well do it right instead of half-assed.

You forget that this includes RP. RP is NEVER a large part of ANY community. So we will literally be catering to a minority.

Timers are hard-coded because its more than just allowing RP. If other servers started changing timers on common levels it would throw off balance of each of those levels. If they made them longer people would get bored and quit impacting the view of the mod. Hard-coded timers is not just an anti-RP thing and saying it is is nothing but ignorance.

Mace, I hear what you are saying about Roleplaying. But, don't you think the decision to shutdown every additional idea for the mod to evolve goes way beyond that? Over the years, I've seen several people come on the mb2 forums and introduce new ideas beyond the one objective, two team gameplay that mb2 currently is. And every time it's always, "Well it doesn't really fit with the direction we are going." So, at what point does new ideas seem like a good ones to try? When everyone stops playing MB2 as is? The only reason MB2 got a spike in activity was because of the release of "The Force Awakens."

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Mace, I hear what you are saying about Roleplaying. But, don't you think the decision to shutdown every additional idea for the mod to evolve goes way beyond that? Over the years, I've seen several people come on the mb2 forums and introduce new ideas beyond the one objective, two team gameplay that mb2 currently is. And every time it's always, "Well it doesn't really fit with the direction we are going." So, at what point does new ideas seem like a good ones to try? When everyone stops playing MB2 as is? The only reason MB2 got a spike in activity was because of the release of "The Force Awakens."

There are gamemodes that even I designed. Balance of Power, Conquest, Progressive Siege, and a small portion of CTF. All of them are designed to work within the time limit (Though CTF may get bumped to 6 instead of 5). You aren't squanering anything by having a time limit. My plan for some of those modes was having a half-time of sorts so you would have 5 minute rounds, get a half time and then switch sides for another 5 minutes allowing the map to be asymmetrically balanced or symmentrically balanced and it wouldn't matter as both teams would have the ability to see how they handle. You don't need to remove the time limit to do anything we want.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team

Over 50 ppl left MB2 after you hard-coded a timer in b19. Who's destroying the community again? Oh by the way, RP'ers are usually kind, helpful and social people that like to talk. Injecting some RP'ers into the MBII community will not destroy it in any way, but will improve it significantly.

Respawn is an issue until issues with it are fixed and you of all people should know that they aren't. Yes people are able to get around respawns but doesn't mean it isn't a pain in the ass without them. Ohh sooo what if its password protected someone can still join mid round and everyone would have to do a match restart, reselect their classes/models and everything. Pretty stupid inconvenience. If we intend to support it might as well do it right instead of half-assed. You forget that this includes RP. RP is NEVER a large part of ANY community. So we will literally be catering to a minority.

All we're talking about here is a hard-coded time limit. We're not talkong about 'catering' to RP'ers as if they are a priority. All they need is the removal of a time limit and then there will be a large influx of people. I used to RP alot back in b18 and it was the best time I've ever had in MBII to date. Also, let the RP'es themselves worry about the oh so horrible inconvenience of having to click a custom FA class. (If you didn't know, you modify FA classfiles with custom skins and powers to make individual RP chars with bio's etc and run sessions. Usually most ppl join up prior to a session beginning, but if they don't it's no big issue. Restart + noclip back to positions and you're good to go. By the way, ROLEPLAY is the only instance I've ever seen MB2's FA special abilities utilized to the max and give the game alot of nice flavour and significance.)

You think server owners will do that? No they won't. BG, AOD and official servers will all remain unchanged. This is another non-issue and just a poor excuse from another RP hater. Why are you fighting so vehemently against the removal of the hard-coded time limit, when all it does is allow players the freedom to play how they want? Look at skyrim and tell me it would be a better game if you didn't allow players to 'mod' their gameplay experience to some extent. Can you do that? No. Because it's bullshit and you know it.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
There's so much more you could do if there was no time limit. I'm not sure what this obsession is with trying squeeze everything into 5 minute rounds.

We would have to rebalance classes if we did anything but 5 minutes. Either by adding respawns with timers that vary based on their reinforcements (CTF does this) or if they're still single life modes then TTK would likely need adjusting.

You think server owners will do that? No they won't. BG, AOD and official servers will all remain unchanged.

They did last time even without RP.

Over 50 ppl left MB2 after you hard-coded a timer in b19.

I don't remember that hard-code working properly since we had to fix it again in RC2.

Look at skyrim and tell me it would be a better game if you didn't allow players to 'mod' their gameplay experience to some extent.

We do allow modding, within bounds. Skyrim is a SINGLEPLAYER GAME. NOT MULTIPLAYER. Completely invalid argument.

All we're talking about here is a hard-coded time limit. We're not talkong about 'catering' to RP'ers as if they are a priority. All they need is the removal of a time limit and then there will be a large influx of people.

No there wont be because that community isn't even 20 people anymore.

We would have to rebalance classes if we did anything but 5 minutes. Either by adding respawns with timers that vary based on their reinforcements (CTF does this) or if they're still single life modes then TTK would likely need adjusting.

Or you could just unlock it altogether and not tie it to a respawn timer. The original TFFA and CTF modes didn't use a respawn timer. You died, and you respawned. Also, it's obvious that there would need to be re-balancing if new modes are added. This is a given as it would be something new that is being introduced using the MB2's current build and literally everything is different from base. I don't see the the problem.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Or you could just unlock it altogether and not tie it to a respawn timer. The original TFFA and CTF modes didn't use a respawn timer. You died, and you respawned. Also, it's obvious that there would need to be re-balancing if new modes are added. This is a given as it would be something new that is being introduced using the MB2's current build and literally everything is different from base. I don't see the the problem.

They didn't have classes..... we have classes. We can't just unlock it. An instant respawning droideka or jedi is going to be a hell of a lot more powerful than an instant respawning soldier.

Status
Not open for further replies.