Push 3 Balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Welcome to the topic. Please excuse the name, I didn't think too hard about it but this should probably be called

Force Push Re Balance

Let me start of here by first saying I do not think Push is Overpowered and this is Not a Nerf Thread. But there is a problem I have with how it affects gameplay. The issue that I want addressed here is The Use of Push 3 as a player crutch and this is what I want to see removed.
Not sure what I mean by that? Let me explain then. I'm sure a lot of you have noticed that Push 3 is easy to use to knock down targets and get some nice ground kills. All the while it is also easy to stop by walking, crouching or standing still. But the real issue is that it is much easier to use Push and very forgiving in mistakes by the user.
What does this mean? Well, simply put, it means that a Pusher has to put forth less effort in an engagement as opposed to his target. And to add a little more to it, a Force User without Push level 3 has to put forth even more effort than his opponent if not the same. This is not good from a gameplay balance standpoint.
What happens from this, then? Well, most Force User class configs basically have Push 3 as a necessity rather than an option. Players become reliant on it and other great elements become unused.
But hasn't Push remained the same for many years? Yes it has, but I never noticed the problem until recently.
How did I see this issue? It actually happened to be the large influx of brand new players. Watching them progress in player ability map after map or even days. But the thing I noticed the most is that they all used Push 3.
What's wrong with them all using Push? Nothing, except for the fact that they try out other classes or force powers but fail and go back to Push 3.
Why would they go back to using Push 3 over and over? After seeing this and examining it, I saw it helped their player ability. Sure, they still weren't very good but they were substantially better than not using it.
So this is a New Player problem? No, not at all. The new players merely opened my eyes by seeing the sheer number of them doing it. I am certain everybody knows of one or a few players who exclusively play Jedi with Push 3.
How does Push help these players out so much? From what I concluded it is because Push is extremely simple and easy to use. It can even be used in a majority of situations. Not much effort has to be used to be averagely effective at the game now.

Now in my opinion this is not fair at all because all players should have to give the same amount of effort to be effective. Sure, all players are different and some are better than others or vice versa. But they all try about the same to be a positive contribution to the team. Just because someone is good or bad at playing doesn't mean they aren't trying.

So, from all this I try and figure out a way to complete this objective: Make Push Harder to Use for Bad Players but Still Retain it's Effectiveness for Good Players.

Here we go then, my idea is below. I am certainly also not saying my idea is the best one or the only option. The one directly below is an edit after reading things from this thread and mashing them together while also thinking of other gameplay elements and how they work. My very original idea, which was pointed out would actually be a nerf (which is not my plan) is at the very bottom.

Probably the most important part of the topic is that these are all suggestions, which means they are not guaranteed to be implemented and are also all subject to change. Everybody here should be striving to make the game a better experience. I implore everybody to share their suggestions, ideas, and thoughts. The key word is collaboration.

Another extremely important part of it is that we all discuss this in a constructive, mature, and polite manner. I don't want to see the thread devolve any more than it has because there are some very good ideas here. If you need an example, here are a couple.
This is how to not be constructive.
Person 1: I think that (x) should work this way because of (y).
Person 2: Hah, (x) is fine you just need to do (z) better.
This is how to be constructive.
Person 1: I think that (x) should work this way because of (y).
Person 2: I don't understand your issue with (x), you can just do (z), can you help me understand?​

So after thinking through after all the things people posted I came up with a new idea built upon some of it. Of course all not set in stone.

Push 3 changes to have a narrower knockdown area which is like a tube in front of the Jedi that is a bit around the crosshairs. Not as pinpoint as a blaster shot but they would still basically need to be aiming at them. But here's the twist, it only is like that for instant button pushes. To compensate the animation should be sped up by about a quarter of a second, reducing the time that the Jedi is vulnerable. But wait, there's more. The power can also be charged up for maybe around 2 or 3 seconds for maximum to unleash a full scale Push that knocks down all runners in the regular arc. Also I think the charged up blast should push things back with greater velocity. That would make for some fun grenade tosses. Although, the charge should not be able to be held indefinite so after maybe 2 or 3 seconds of holding automatically goes off. Now, to think of our saberless Jedi friends even more can come of this but this is just expanding on the idea so it may be too much. Jedi with no sabers using Push 3 in melee can just tap it for full effect like it is now, but if they charge it fully it can Push over everybody in it's line of fire regardless of movement status. It would probably use more FP to compensate but that could make a force only Jedi a very valuable part of a team during a standoff. The issue of wookiees and SBDs I don't know of but if they could fall from it, would be a very useful ally to have.
push_zpsv9hvmodm.jpg

pushinstant_zpszpfgssuz.jpg

pushhalfcharge_zpst4gdmbrw.jpg

pushfullcharge_zpsdcg88aes.jpg

This can even be applied to Pull to make it affect a group after a charge, which would give that power a bigger oompf it definitely needs!

There have been a number of ideas posted in the thread, which may need to be expanded on and complimented, such as:
  • All levels of Push knockdown at different ranges and spreads
  • Changes in Force Point cost
  • Changes in Class Point cost
  • Delay before pushing
  • Charge up before use
  • Differing types of knockback areas

Below is my first original post.

Now before you all start saying "l2walk" what this stems from is just the amount of Jedi/Sith who only use Push 3 as their main offensive weapon. In my opinion it is way too effective and versatile for how cheap it costs in both class points and FP. When looking at Pull, not only does it cost more, but it is harder to use due to the direct aim required and shorter range. I have seen plenty of players who don't use Push 3, but in comparison to the majority that do they need to play a lot smarter and harder. Push is just too easy.

My proposed fix is very simple although I don't know if the engine allows it. Have push be the way it is for range and AOE, especially projectiles, except for the knockdown which needs to be on the crosshair. Of course the closer the range the more lax this would be and anyone pushed outside of the knockdown sweet spot would still get pushed back, to help get those guys on a cliff. Pull could even be reworked the same way so a large group of people could be nudged closer rather than fall down.

This would increase the skill required to use it and help reduce the class spam for people looking to get easy kills but still maintain the support role it can fill.

Here is a representation of what I mean.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/DarkFett/push._zpsbkp88iqp.jpg

Last edited:
Read andrews post, a longer cool down would completely screw nades u and rockets up. Making them very very strong.
I did, and I don't agree with it. There should be some thought going into when and where to push. As it stands right now, push will always be up when you need it, and it's very very seldom you will EVER run out of force power unless you're trying to fly around the map. There is no downside whatsoever here.

When I found this mod a few weeks ago, I got a small group of friends to join me. We had a blast playing around as gunners for a while, but I can say Force push is ultimately what made them move away from it so quickly. If I have to, i'll try to get them to come back and post their own thoughts here, but I honestly doubt they care enough to do so anymore. We quickly learned that walking at a snails pace the entire time is what we were supposed to do as soon as you see a jedi. There is no safe windows of opportunity to try and disengage or anything, unless you count that not even 2 second window after they do push. Doesn't help they can usually charge headlong at you while mashing the rmb.

Last edited:

Preston

Nerd
I did, and I don't agree with it. There should be some thought going into when and where to push. As it stands right now, push will always be up when you need it, and it's very very seldom you will EVER run out of force power unless you're trying to fly around the map. There is no downside whatsoever here.

When I found this mod a few weeks ago, I got a small group of friends to join me. We had a blast playing around as gunners for a while, but I can say Force push is ultimately what made them move away from it so quickly. If I have to, i'll try to get them to come back and post their own thoughts here, but I honestly doubt they care enough to do so anymore. We quickly learned that walking at a snails pace the entire time is what we were supposed to do as soon as you see a jedi. There is no safe windows of opportunity to try and disengage or anything, unless you count that not even 2 second window after they do push.
Okay I see now, youve only been playing for a couple of weeks. Read some of my previous posts in this thread, there is plenty of opportunities vs jedi.

Okay I see now, youve only been playing for a couple of weeks. Read some of my previous posts in this thread, there is plenty of opportunities vs jedi.
There you go again assuming i've not read previous pages. I also made it clear I was new back when I posted towards you a few pages back. Just because i'm new doesn't mean I shouldn't have an opinion.

that decision shouldn't be let a grenade through that kills 2 of your teammates so you can push the rocket that will kill 3
This is why you have multiple teammates then. 1 Jedi/Sith shouldn't be able to shut down EVERY grenade or rocket when they feel like it.

Preston

Nerd
There you go again assuming i've not read previous pages. I also made it clear I was new back when I posted towards you a few pages back. Just because i'm new doesn't mean I shouldn't have an opinion.
I never said you didnt have an opinion, but being new means you dont yet know how to utilize all those thing to win vs push easily. Push is quite easy to beat and kill the jedi or sith with the missed push

No but they should be able to push back and forward the grenades like tennis. Thats one the the most rewarding feelings on this game is throwikg a nade, getting it pushed back, pushed back again and then pushed back again. Its very fun. If you do have a problem with push, a cooldown isnt the solution. Even though its perfectly balanced and very easy counter imo.

And I personally dont think any new player can properly understand if something is balance completly or not. This is not an insult because I know from past experience, I use to think many games were unbalanced and op/under powerd in this game. Now I believe for the most part, things in open mode are well balanced.

Last edited:
This is why you have multiple teammates then. 1 Jedi/Sith shouldn't be able to shut down EVERY grenade or rocket when they feel like it.
this is a difficult proposition to make

for one, double pushes are extremely important
for two, in more competitive settings you often dont have multiple jedi in an area

that decision shouldn't be let a grenade through that kills 2 of your teammates so you can push the rocket that will kill 3
This is the crux of the issue. Cooldown can't be changed without nerfing the support of jedi. Whatever is decided about push I really urge that the cooldown remains the same.

Push is quite easy to beat and kill the jedi or sith with the missed push
You say "missed push" like it actually matters. What is the downside? The split second opening while the animation plays out, that you can take advantage of if you're an MLG gamer?

You say "missed push" like it actually matters. What is the downside? The split second opening while the animation plays out, that you can take advantage of if you're an MLG gamer?
its nearly 2 seconds afaik, that doesnt take an mlg gamer to hit them during

and they cant do any other actions while in that window

Preston

Nerd

If did actually read over some of my previosu post's ive explained this atleast like 3 times

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Preston, you're only saying the same thing over and over, basically being a troll deliberately trying to shut this thread down on the basis of your opinion. Not to mention your main argument, put into shorter terms, is git gud l2aim.

Push 3 is just way too easy to use to knock down and get a kill when compared to other force powers and other classes with the tools at their disposal. Push is just a single button wide arc knockdown that is also instantaneous and usable from any direction or angle. It is viable in almost every single combat situation and beats out the usefulness of other force powers or even other classes. It has nearly no drawbacks. Losing 20 FP for a very short amount of time and being vulnerable to attack for 1.5 seconds is not much to go on especially since most Jedi pop out of cover, Push, then go back, or also move erratically to dodge shots. Sure, they may get hit but it won't be death unless a VERY attentive sniper is trained on them. Reaction times for the gunners, plus ping, and shot travel time usually mean that window is shut and that Jedi missed with no penalty. They are in control of the engagement. The gunner has to walk or fall and die, and the Jedi closes the gap while dodging shots but taking some hits, that regenerate. Too close and now that gunner dies. Your argument of "headshot them" just further proves my point that the amount of effort put into a Jedi vs gunner fight is totally skewed, with the gunman putting forth the majority.

And furthermore, the change I proposed would even fit into your little doctrine of 'Learn to aim lol' because it would require the Jedi to aim for those longer range Push knockdowns.

I do not think it needs a cooldown change, a force point change, a class point change.

The absolute only thing this would change in an engagement is even the playing field in the sense that both players would now put forth the same amount of effort.

Perhaps knockdown time could be modified based on where the gunner was in the arc? Those further away / closer to the outside of the cone would get up faster. Encouraging Jedi to aim it, without taking away it's effectiveness?

Sabering should be left click only and the person who clicked more in 1 second wins and there should be killstreaks and martyrdom and a grenade launcher on every lightsaber....
The game wont be balanced towards noobs who cant play it.

Read andrews post, a longer cool down would completely screw nades u and rockets up. Making them very very strong.
I don't necessarily think one Jedi should be able to keep back 3 naders and 2 rocketeers. If you want more push support, get another Jedi and coordinate. That's what you should be focusing on as the game is very team-oriented and class-composition does matter. At this rate, if you have two Jedi/Sith in a lane, they will be able to effectively nullify any kind of explosive, making those point allocations obsolete for classes who have them.

A related issue is the really fast quickgetup they have. Even if you get a knockdown on them they can do that side flip getup which is crazy fast and nullifies knockdowns so quickly.. It's all too forgiving.

I don't necessarily think one Jedi should be able to keep back 3 naders and 2 rocketeers. If you want more push support, get another Jedi and coordinate. That's what you should be focusing on as the game is very team-oriented and class-composition does matter. At this rate, if you have two Jedi/Sith in a lane, they will be able to effectively nullify any kind of explosive, making those point allocations obsolete for classes who have them.
if 2 players coordinate you already cant push back more than 2 projectiles with the current cooldown

A related issue is the really fast quickgetup they have. Even if you get a knockdown on them they can do that side flip getup which is crazy fast and nullifies knockdowns so quickly.. It's all too forgiving.
are we really going in on the entire jedi class now lol

Okay! So after reading all thirteen fucking pages of people from BOTH SIDES saying the same fucking thing. Here is what I am seeing.

There are two groups of people here. 1st Group can be summarized like this:
Push 3 is just way too easy to use to knock down and get a kill when compared to other force powers and other classes with the tools at their disposal. Push is just a single button wide arc knockdown that is also instantaneous and usable from any direction or angle. It is viable in almost every single combat situation and beats out the usefulness of other force powers or even other classes. It has nearly no drawbacks. Losing 20 FP for a very short amount of time and being vulnerable to attack for 1.5 seconds is not much to go on especially since most Jedi pop out of cover, Push, then go back, or also move erratically to dodge shots. Sure, they may get hit but it won't be death unless a VERY attentive sniper is trained on them. Reaction times for the gunners, plus ping, and shot travel time usually mean that window is shut and that Jedi missed with no penalty. They are in control of the engagement. The gunner has to walk or fall and die, and the Jedi closes the gap while dodging shots but taking some hits, that regenerate. Too close and now that gunner dies. Your argument of "headshot them" just further proves my point that the amount of effort put into a Jedi vs gunner fight is totally skewed, with the gunman putting forth the majority.

And the 2nd Group can be summarized by this:
I have to say it but 'l2walk' I disagree with a push nerf because beating a jedi/sith needs to be about spacing and your aim ability to lower their fp. You complain saying push is too easy to use, but if youre walking and get pushed you should be able to kill/seriously injure the jedi/sith in that one push and if it didnt kill them it lowered their fp so that a couple more well placed shots will kill them. Push while still effective in 1v1 has always to me had more of the support mindset keeping enemies away from your allies and offering other gunners up to die to your own team gunners. On top of this you mention its longer range if you get pushed over at push's max range and roll away you can easily get up before the jedi/sith can reach you which is why I believe its range is fine becuase i use this tactic to kill jedi/sith occasionally as they often use a swing to try to make up the distance and are easily shot. However this all comes back to the idea of if youre a gunner you should be walking when enemy jedi/sith are around, and above all this is a team based game so your team's jedi/sith should be helping you keep your distance from the enemy jedi/sith.

Now then! With both sides here, I can easily say that BOTH SIDES ARE RIGHT IN CERTAIN WAYS. On one hand, all you need to do is walk and you WON'T be pushed down. Simple as that. On the other, Push doesn't seem to have very many drawbacks to it's use or is too easy to use. I personally feel like it isn't. In a competitive situation, you'll normally only have 1-2 jedi/sith for both teams. That's a max of 2 pushers per team. In a competitive scene, I have NEVER seen the large area of effect for push as a PROBLEM. Hell, even looking AWAY from the competitive scene where there can be much much more than just two jedi on a team, I still don't think push is a problem. Why? Because I'm just good at the game. I CAN run when I fight a jedi/sith. I just don't do it ALL THE TIME. In a fight, you have certain moments when the jedi are likely to push you, and certain moments when they aren't. I feel like the argument from Supa's side about how the cooldown timer between the swing and the push isn't a very valid point as that moment when the swing is over and they are able to push is CONSISTENT. Which means it is PREDICTABLE. All you have to do is do a little hop dash away from them, and continue shooting them in their face. If they choose to keep swinging at you, then you do the little hop dash away from them again, otherwise you continue walking and shooting them in the face. Rinse, repeat. I've played Jedi/Sith for a LOOOONG time, and I can easily say that THE VAST MAJORITY of the time on open mode, my play as a sith/jedi is being controlled by the actions of the gunners around me, not the other way around. Even lately, with all of the jedi/sith nublets that w swing to victory, I still run into groups of gunners, and WHEN THEY FOCUS ME and SUPPORT each other, they destroy me. This game was never created with the idea of 1v1 fights against any one gunner class and a jedi/sith. And the fact that this entire topic is mainly focused on the 1v1 aspect of things, just completely shits on the entire idea behind MB2. It has always been and likely always will be (hopefully) a primarily TEAM game. That alone has had me coming back to MB2 for the past however fucking long i've been playing this amazing fucking game.

At the end of it all, I could go on and on about the intricacies of this game and the ACTUAL way it CAN be played in a 1v1 scenario, but what it comes down to is just learning the game, and learning the timings, learning the CONSISTENCY within the game, and then learning how to take advantage of that,

Last edited:
if 2 players coordinate you already cant push back more than 2 projectiles with the current cooldown
The current cooldown on push right now seems to be around 2 seconds.

That's 1 push every second if you so desire, and with the radius and range Push currently has, two jedi can easily push back every grenade or rocket thrown at them because even if more than one grenade was tossed at them at the same time, both grenades could be pushed thanks to the forgiving range Push has.

Not to mention the destruction one push has on the enemy team as their own explosive is sent straight into their own faces, hampering them from making any other moves as they are too busy being ragdolled.

Phelps

Donator
Don't rocket or throw grenade/TD at Jedi/Sith. It's simple as that. People who does that sort of thing get their teammates killed or themselves.
You can't blame that stupidity on push. Jedi/Sith is a support class, it's his role to push back danger. In my honest opinion, push is not that overpowered as some of you made it out to be. Push, especially ill-timed push, is almost always punished.

With that said, I do not agree it needs some kind of a nerf. Push is a nerf on itself, when not used properly and believe me, lot of dudes do not use it properly. Push is easy to use, but so is easy to counter.

At the end of it all, I could go on and on about the intricacies of this game and the ACTUAL way it CAN be played in a 1v1 scenario, but what it comes down to is just learning the game, and learning the timings, learning the CONSISTENCY within the game, and then learning how to take advantage of that,

+1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.