Push 3 Balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Welcome to the topic. Please excuse the name, I didn't think too hard about it but this should probably be called

Force Push Re Balance

Let me start of here by first saying I do not think Push is Overpowered and this is Not a Nerf Thread. But there is a problem I have with how it affects gameplay. The issue that I want addressed here is The Use of Push 3 as a player crutch and this is what I want to see removed.
Not sure what I mean by that? Let me explain then. I'm sure a lot of you have noticed that Push 3 is easy to use to knock down targets and get some nice ground kills. All the while it is also easy to stop by walking, crouching or standing still. But the real issue is that it is much easier to use Push and very forgiving in mistakes by the user.
What does this mean? Well, simply put, it means that a Pusher has to put forth less effort in an engagement as opposed to his target. And to add a little more to it, a Force User without Push level 3 has to put forth even more effort than his opponent if not the same. This is not good from a gameplay balance standpoint.
What happens from this, then? Well, most Force User class configs basically have Push 3 as a necessity rather than an option. Players become reliant on it and other great elements become unused.
But hasn't Push remained the same for many years? Yes it has, but I never noticed the problem until recently.
How did I see this issue? It actually happened to be the large influx of brand new players. Watching them progress in player ability map after map or even days. But the thing I noticed the most is that they all used Push 3.
What's wrong with them all using Push? Nothing, except for the fact that they try out other classes or force powers but fail and go back to Push 3.
Why would they go back to using Push 3 over and over? After seeing this and examining it, I saw it helped their player ability. Sure, they still weren't very good but they were substantially better than not using it.
So this is a New Player problem? No, not at all. The new players merely opened my eyes by seeing the sheer number of them doing it. I am certain everybody knows of one or a few players who exclusively play Jedi with Push 3.
How does Push help these players out so much? From what I concluded it is because Push is extremely simple and easy to use. It can even be used in a majority of situations. Not much effort has to be used to be averagely effective at the game now.

Now in my opinion this is not fair at all because all players should have to give the same amount of effort to be effective. Sure, all players are different and some are better than others or vice versa. But they all try about the same to be a positive contribution to the team. Just because someone is good or bad at playing doesn't mean they aren't trying.

So, from all this I try and figure out a way to complete this objective: Make Push Harder to Use for Bad Players but Still Retain it's Effectiveness for Good Players.

Here we go then, my idea is below. I am certainly also not saying my idea is the best one or the only option. The one directly below is an edit after reading things from this thread and mashing them together while also thinking of other gameplay elements and how they work. My very original idea, which was pointed out would actually be a nerf (which is not my plan) is at the very bottom.

Probably the most important part of the topic is that these are all suggestions, which means they are not guaranteed to be implemented and are also all subject to change. Everybody here should be striving to make the game a better experience. I implore everybody to share their suggestions, ideas, and thoughts. The key word is collaboration.

Another extremely important part of it is that we all discuss this in a constructive, mature, and polite manner. I don't want to see the thread devolve any more than it has because there are some very good ideas here. If you need an example, here are a couple.
This is how to not be constructive.
Person 1: I think that (x) should work this way because of (y).
Person 2: Hah, (x) is fine you just need to do (z) better.
This is how to be constructive.
Person 1: I think that (x) should work this way because of (y).
Person 2: I don't understand your issue with (x), you can just do (z), can you help me understand?​

So after thinking through after all the things people posted I came up with a new idea built upon some of it. Of course all not set in stone.

Push 3 changes to have a narrower knockdown area which is like a tube in front of the Jedi that is a bit around the crosshairs. Not as pinpoint as a blaster shot but they would still basically need to be aiming at them. But here's the twist, it only is like that for instant button pushes. To compensate the animation should be sped up by about a quarter of a second, reducing the time that the Jedi is vulnerable. But wait, there's more. The power can also be charged up for maybe around 2 or 3 seconds for maximum to unleash a full scale Push that knocks down all runners in the regular arc. Also I think the charged up blast should push things back with greater velocity. That would make for some fun grenade tosses. Although, the charge should not be able to be held indefinite so after maybe 2 or 3 seconds of holding automatically goes off. Now, to think of our saberless Jedi friends even more can come of this but this is just expanding on the idea so it may be too much. Jedi with no sabers using Push 3 in melee can just tap it for full effect like it is now, but if they charge it fully it can Push over everybody in it's line of fire regardless of movement status. It would probably use more FP to compensate but that could make a force only Jedi a very valuable part of a team during a standoff. The issue of wookiees and SBDs I don't know of but if they could fall from it, would be a very useful ally to have.
push_zpsv9hvmodm.jpg

pushinstant_zpszpfgssuz.jpg

pushhalfcharge_zpst4gdmbrw.jpg

pushfullcharge_zpsdcg88aes.jpg

This can even be applied to Pull to make it affect a group after a charge, which would give that power a bigger oompf it definitely needs!

There have been a number of ideas posted in the thread, which may need to be expanded on and complimented, such as:
  • All levels of Push knockdown at different ranges and spreads
  • Changes in Force Point cost
  • Changes in Class Point cost
  • Delay before pushing
  • Charge up before use
  • Differing types of knockback areas

Below is my first original post.

Now before you all start saying "l2walk" what this stems from is just the amount of Jedi/Sith who only use Push 3 as their main offensive weapon. In my opinion it is way too effective and versatile for how cheap it costs in both class points and FP. When looking at Pull, not only does it cost more, but it is harder to use due to the direct aim required and shorter range. I have seen plenty of players who don't use Push 3, but in comparison to the majority that do they need to play a lot smarter and harder. Push is just too easy.

My proposed fix is very simple although I don't know if the engine allows it. Have push be the way it is for range and AOE, especially projectiles, except for the knockdown which needs to be on the crosshair. Of course the closer the range the more lax this would be and anyone pushed outside of the knockdown sweet spot would still get pushed back, to help get those guys on a cliff. Pull could even be reworked the same way so a large group of people could be nudged closer rather than fall down.

This would increase the skill required to use it and help reduce the class spam for people looking to get easy kills but still maintain the support role it can fill.

Here is a representation of what I mean.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/DarkFett/push._zpsbkp88iqp.jpg

Last edited:
Its not very hard to keep the crosshair on a hopping jedi that just goes straight up as you said. And it can be many other things than ee3.
For you maybe it's easy, but for many it is difficult. And also, you don't know which way he'll short hop. You don't know if he'll just run sideways, or do a full jump. Combined with the speed of the shot (smaller nowadays, but still significant, unless you're using the Disruptor), ping, and the fact that the shot won't even always kill him, it clearly shows it's not easy.

Preston

Nerd
Okay enough with the double and triple posting. There is an edit button.
Its too hard to reply to multiple quotes on your phone, and I dont edit posts if people reply almost instantly because by the time you are replying Id have to already edit the post. Which you wouldnt see unless you looked back

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Then wait until you get home before you post. The thread isn't going anywhere; unless I lock it.

And imo it is safer to fight a jedi than a gunner when im a gunner. When fighting a jedi either I die or lose no hp at all. When I fight a gunner you almost always lose some hp or you die, Id say thats enough for a jedi vs gunner to be harder than gunner vs gunner. But I personally thank jedi are already easier to fight than another gunner
I agree

I myself have played jedi, and I get far more kills than when I'm a gunner. It's simple, run up to the BH in his face, if he doesn't run, slice, if he does, push and kill. I may take a few hits, ah well, almost all of the time I survive. I don't think that's fair at all.

Preston

Nerd
I myself have played jedi, and I get far more kills than when I'm a gunner. It's simple, run up to the BH in his face, if he doesn't run, slice, if he does, push and kill. I may take a few hits, ah well, almost all of the time I survive. I don't think that's fair at all.
Thats possibly because you cant aim with your 20 fps or whatever you get, I forgot what you told me. And ping spikes.

I myself have played gunner, Its simple aim at medium distance and keep the crosshair on him and fire. If he pushes walk and shoot, if he doesnt wait till he swings and hop out of the way out of saber reach and repeat. And I lose no hp! And if I die well it happens. I dont think thats fair at all.

Last edited:
Thats possibly because you cant aim with your 20 fps or whatever you get, I forgot what you told me. And ping spikes
Well yes that's true XD. I probably would do better if I had smoother gameplay.

EDIT: But I still stand by my opinion. There's gotta be something we can do without nerfing jedi too much, but giving gunners a better chance. Jedi are supposed to be a support class (in MBII anyway), not a lone killing machine.

Give em a stagger if they get hit in mid swing?...no, that's too easy for gunners...

Preston

Nerd
Well yes that's true XD. I probably would do better if I had smoother gameplay.

EDIT: But I still stand by my opinion. There's gotta be something we can do without nerfing jedi too much, but giving gunners a better chance. Jedi are supposed to be a support class (in MBII anyway), not a lone killing machine.

Give em a stagger if they get hit in mid swing?...no, that's too easy for gunners...
And I still stand by my opinion that killing jedi is far easier and safer than killing a gunner, and jedi isnt just a support class. Just like how bounty hunter isnt just a sniper class.

Edit slightly, but still relevant:
And when people say the argument where "jedi can make far more mistakes than any other class" I think you need to check out soldier and commander and clone with 2 and 3 lives. Or hero with heal, or mando with a jetpack he can use if hes in a bad situation, or dodge when you dont have to do anything, or sbd with cortosis and blast protection.

Last edited:
It's about as unfair as being a BH and nailing Wookiees with str3 in the face and dying anyway. They kill you, but often take hits. That is the same tradeoff with Jedi/Sith, except they die much quicker due to lower health. Damaging the Jedi and dying is fine because you helped out your team face him easier. Potentially. Not everyone should just drop dead with one hit.

It's about as unfair as being a BH and nailing Wookiees with str3 in the face and dying anyway. They kill you, but often take hits. That is the same tradeoff with Jedi/Sith, except they die much quicker due to lower health. Damaging the Jedi and dying is fine because you helped out your team face him easier. Potentially. Not everyone should just drop dead with one hit.
But you can run from wookiees. You can't run from jedi.

Preston

Nerd
This, aswell as with a soldier, you have a very large advantage vs a jedi because a saber doesn't care if you have 50 or 100 hp. Insta kill either way. So easily a soldier vs a jedi who is even worse than the jedi will beat the jedi, he may lose a couple of lives, but in the end the jedi most likely just wont be able to hold off three lives of an e11 to the chest.

Edit to ony: so just cause you cant run from a jedi because push 3, means a 400 hp wookie with a bowcaster and strength 3 is weaker? The wook will just shoot you with its godcaster if you try to run. Or go to rage and will outrun you and kill you in like 2 or 3 hits.

This, aswell as with a soldier, you have a very large advantage vs a jedi because a saber doesn't care if you have 50 or 100 hp. Insta kill either way. So easily a soldier vs a jedi who is even worse than the jedi will beat the jedi, he may lose a couple of lives, but in the end the jedi most likely just wont be able to hold off three lives of an e11 to the chest.

Edit to ony: so just cause you cant run from a jedi because push 3, means a 400 hp wookie with a bowcaster and strength 3 is weaker? The wook will just shoot you with its godcaster if you try to run. Or go to rage and will outrun you and kill you in like 2 or 3 hits.
Except, as Onysfx already mentioned, you can disengage from a fight with a Wookie if the odds aren't in your favor. It's also preferable to fight a wookie with their Godcaster than a Wookie in your face because it's easier to juke projectiles than there is to survive a hairy smack to the face. In a fight between a Godcaster and a blaster, they are still fighting on fair terms as they've both got the same tools available to avoid taking damage, granted the Wookie can TANK a lot.

Against Soldiers or any gunner really, the Jedi still has the initiative of the fight because of Sense. They always know where the enemy is. A trooper may lose a couple of lives just because of lack of sufficient situational awareness or because a Sith was being fucking clever. Hell, D3 easily does the trick because Troopers cannot tank their own rounds for shit and this will further discourage them from shooting at you.

And again, once you're in the range of a Jedi/Sith, you better commit to that fight because you have no other option. You can no longer disengage from that fight, and if you make the attempt, you die. This is bad on all accounts especially if the Jedi has backup from a single other player.

Preston

Nerd
Except, as Onysfx already mentioned, you can disengage from a fight with a Wookie if the odds aren't in your favor. It's also preferable to fight a wookie with their Godcaster than a Wookie in your face because it's easier to juke projectiles than there is to survive a hairy smack to the face. In a fight between a Godcaster and a blaster, they are still fighting on fair terms as they've both got the same tools available to avoid taking damage, granted the Wookie can TANK a lot.

Against Soldiers or any gunner really, the Jedi still has the initiative of the fight because of Sense. They always know where the enemy is. A trooper may lose a couple of lives just because of lack of sufficient situation awareness or because a Sith was being fucking clever. Hell, D3 easily does the trick because Troopers cannot tank their own rounds for shit and this will further discourage them from shooting at you.

And again, once you're in the range of a Jedi/Sith, you better commit to that fight because you have no other option. You can no longer disengage from that fight, and if you make the attempt, you die. This is bad on all accounts especially if the Jedi has backup from a single other player.

Against Soldiers or any gunner really, the Jedi still has the initiative of the fight because of Sense. They always know where the enemy is. A trooper may lose a couple of lives just because of lack of sufficient situation awareness or because a Sith was being fucking clever. Hell, D3 easily does the trick because Troopers cannot tank their own rounds for shit and this will further discourage them from shooting at you.

For deflect 3, shoot at their feet, it wont come back to you. For sense, just walk outside of any door and you will be fine. Sense is useless in the open. And no, a mando can easily run away, a deka can run away, a bounty hunter can run away, the only ones "stuck" are soldier and et. Hero can run away, arc can run away, clone can even run away if he blobs the sith. And actually soldier can too as long as he isnt like half an inch away from the saberist and doesnt have close combat 2.

For deflect 3, shoot at their feet, it wont come back to you. For sense, just walk outside of any door and you will be fine. Sense is useless in the open. And no, a mando can easily run away, a deka can run away, a bounty hunter can run away, the only ones "stuck" are soldier and et. Hero can run away, arc can run away, clone can even run away if he blobs the sith. And actually soldier can too as long as he isnt like half an inch away from the saberist and doesnt have close combat 2.

Yeah, good luck getting headshots while aiming at their toes.

Deka can run away, sure, but they cannot be knocked over to begin with, who knew? They have their own problems to balance that out.

Mando can run away for as long as they have fuel, and that's only if the Jedi/Sith doesn't push you in a direction where it'll take too long for your jetpack to regain momentum in the direction you want to go. And even if you should regain momentum in the direction you want to go, the Jedi can push you again, further throwing you off course or worse, into a corner.

A Bounty Hunter CANNOT run away once inside push-range. Stop talking shit. If they try, they get knocked over and that's basically allowing the Jedi to catch up, at which point only a Kick can save them. Fuck that up, and you are down as you won't have enough time to drain all their FP after recovering from the knockdown. That said though, Bounty-Hunters are probably the class that fares the best against Jedi because of poison-darts which severely limits a Jedi's ability to push you down.

Clones? Run away? When inside Push Range? You do realize they're just heavier troopers right? Or Elite Troopers even. If they manage to Blob a Sith, good on them, they deserve that kill... Except a lot of the time it doesn't kill the Sith because they have crazy short recovery times.

As for Arcs and Heroes, Heroes I'd point to my Bounty Hunter explanation where Dash takes the spot of Poison Darts. Arcs are just light on their feet Clones without blobs and heavier armor.

As for your Sense suggestion, yeah that's not going to happen. Players don't generally camp much in MBII, they tend to move around. This involves walking through door-ways. This because there's constantly a line being pushed back and forth on all maps between the two teams. If the Soldier refuses to move from spawn because of doorways, he won't be able to defend the objective, which is basically forfeiting the round.

Last edited:

Preston

Nerd
Yeah, good luck getting headshots while aiming at their toes.

Deka can run away, sure, but they cannot be knocked over to begin with, who knew? They have their own problems to balance that out.

Mando can run away for as long as they have fuel, and that's only if the Jedi/Sith doesn't push you in a direction where it'll take too long for your jetpack to regain momentum in the direction you want to go. And even if you should regain momentum in the direction you want to go, the Jedi can push you again, further throwing you off course or worse, into a corner.

A Bounty Hunter CANNOT run away once inside push-range. Stop talking shit. If they try, they get knocked over and that's basically allowing the Jedi to catch up, at which point only a Kick can save them. Fuck that up, and you are down as you won't have enough time to drain all their FP after recovering from the knockdown. That said though, Bounty-Hunters are probably the class that fares the best against Jedi because of poison-darts which severely limits a Jedi's ability to push you down.

Clones? Run away? When inside Push Range? You do realize they're just heavier troopers right? Or Elite Troopers even. If they manage to Blob a Sith, good on them, they deserve that kill... Except a lot of the time it doesn't kill the Sith because they have crazy short recovery times.

As for Arcs and Heroes, Heroes I'd point to my Bounty Hunter explanation where Dash takes the spot of Poison Darts. Arcs are just light on their feet Clones without blobs and heavier armor.

As for your Sense suggestion, yeah that's not going to happen. Players don't generally camp much in MBII, they tend to move around. This involves walking through door-ways. This because there's constantly a line being pushed back and forth on all maps between the two teams. If the Soldier refuses to move from spawn because of doorways, he won't be able to defend the objective, which is basically forfeiting the round.
You aim at their feet when they are blocking, and headshot when they swing, it isnt that hard.

Mandos, get push when they fly away sure, if you dont roll and then fly. If you roll while you turn on the jetpack you go way too fast for any jedi to push you other that straight.

Bounty hunter CAN run away within push range. They move faster than a jedi and the push just pushes you further, when pushed down roll away from the jedi. Again not hard, only way the jedi can get a bounty hunter with push is if its in a very close corner.
Clones run away? Uh yeah. Clones can go faster than jedi with sprint, plus if you blob a sith and then run away, there is no way the sith is gonna catch you unless hes like a foot away from you when he pushes you.
And no clones are not heavy troopers lol, you do realize this?

Arc has dexterity where it cant be pushed, also has sprint where its faster than jedi, and can bolt 10 feet away in like an 8th of a second with class special 2.

Hero, dash and also is faster than sith. Same as bounty hunter.

And my sense suggestion, I dont think you read what I said right. I didnt mention camping at all. I said walk outside the door. Thats the only time sense will get the best of you if youre decent. Around doors.

Oh and again, you can always just walk. But I guess that is far to difficult for some people for whatever reason.

I don't actually think it's a bad thing that we make people require to think a little before they use abilities. Part of the problem with Jedi and Sith is right now you aren't really punished for playing recklessly. Using push and it going on cooldown, and then you not having push to push a explosive that will create a huge opportunity for the enemy team to advance, could be a good incentive to not use abilities without thinking.

A lot of games are like that, and while this is a first person shooter, the main mode requires a bit of strategic knowledge to be really good at. Such is the common theme games like MBII and CS:GO share.
i would probably quit playing jedi and sith permanently if there was a cooldown on push

being able to double push grenades is literally the hallmark of the class and the most fun moment for me. double pushing a grenade back is one of the most important things for a jedi to learn to do and also greatly helps with the massive amount of tk points one can accrue from playing support

people really like to throw out stuff like recklessly or thoughtlessly when talking about stuff, but sometimes using push on cooldown isnt thoughtless. theres already something like a 2-3 second cooldown where the jedi is completely vulnerable, increase that any further and grenades/tds/rockets just become ridiculous or encourage further jedi spam

I don't think there should be a cooldown on push myself. It won't make any difference with the mind game stuff gunners have to go through, and nerfs a jedi's support majorly. And it's not a 2-3 second cooldown for push, it's like 1.5 seconds.

I'm of the opinion that push needs a longer CD. Going through the effort of trying to bait a push simply isn't worth it right now.

Preston

Nerd
I'm of the opinion that push needs a longer CD. Going through the effort of trying to bait a push simply isn't worth it right now.
Read andrews post, a longer cool down would completely screw nades u and rockets up. Making them very very strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.