Ouj Reviews...

Hello people.
For a few months I've been doing video game reviews on YouTube, Ocelot contacted me on Steam asking me to do one of MB2 which is what prompted me to start playing again. I didn't remove the HUD or anything because I was going for how it actually is to play rather than an advert or frag video and I think it came out OK regardless.

Take a look.

Upvote 0

Cat Lady

Movie Battles II Team Retired
I know, I know. albeit, must say that *average* (!) maturity of players improved lately. There is a shift into expecting civil behavior on servers, and admins (at least some of them) started to remove harassing players from game, lately.

/Cat Lady

Kick/Ban for chat is stupid.
Hardly. You want to appeal to a new wave of players, but why would anyone want to contribute to a chat in which people spout off their immature racist slurs at any given opportunity. And I'm not talking one off jokes which are actually funny, we can all handle a funny joke about these things, I mean the people I see just straight up say racist things or harp on about Muslims without repercussion and entirely for no reason. Do they think they're funny and original or what? I'd be ashamed to think some people here haven't grown past that mentality.

Then again I realise once you start coming down on these things you invite them to troll you further, so this is just my take on it.

Kick/Ban for chat is stupid.
You know I used to be okay with racist banter, but then I discovered people actually meant the shit they said and wasn't doing it for laughs or awkward humor.
Now I understand why people censor and ban this shit, it gets annoying and petty.
To the point its just tasteless.

Hardly. You want to appeal to a new wave of players, but why would anyone want to contribute to a chat in which people spout off their immature racist slurs at any given opportunity. And I'm not talking one off jokes which are actually funny, we can all handle a funny joke about these things, I mean the people I see just straight up say racist things or harp on about Muslims without repercussion and entirely for no reason. Do they think they're funny and original or what? I'd be ashamed to think some people here haven't grown past that mentality.

Then again I realise once you start coming down on these things you invite them to troll you further, so this is just my take on it.

Unless these new players are also new to the internet, will they really give a shit about some asshat talking BS? thats what /mute is for

Unless these new players are also new to the internet, will they really give a shit about some asshat talking BS? thats what /mute is for
I understand that, but I don't see it as a reason not to do anything. They have an indefensible position, is anyone going to sympathise when they complain about being actioned for racism? The only people I can see taking issue are the ones who do it themselves, and if they boycott the server then they've done your job for you. Ideally though they'll just heed warnings and remain on the server.

For some strange reason whenever I play lately people immediately warn others to /ignore while others argue I am a delight.
A delight!

:)

The rule of thumb should be: If it doesn't disturb gameplay, it's not the admins job to handle.

There is no reason to be super PC about this stuff. Since we still have a small playerbase we can't just go around kicking/banning people because they said something racist/sexist/moronic. I've been insulted at least a billion times in this game, I can handle it. If you can't handle it just /ignore and it's done.
Not to mention that it is impossible for admins to keep up with chat and the game at all times to punish the players with bad behavior. It would lead to even more people trolling.

Btw does AOD still ban for saying the n word? It was always loads of fun to go there and get instantly banned for something you say in chat.
Let's not be like that, okay?

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I know, I know. albeit, must say that *average* (!) maturity of players improved lately. There is a shift into expecting civil behavior on servers, and admins (at least some of them) started to remove harassing players from game, lately.

/Cat Lady
Yes, I've noticed positive differences, too.

But I still miss good old players from 2008, like W.o.t.D. (Wraith of the Damned), a Czech clan lead by Twiggy; KittyCat, a girl from England, great saberist; Sponge Bob Squarepantalonas, too old, too slow :(, XIII...
Years ago community was more childish/trollish, but sometimes ppl perform just awesome things....
Nice review, terrible in-game chat of people involved :( Why, oh why, haven't you turned chat off? Or, IDK, using star wars alphabet mod, so we could pretend that people actually talked something sensibler there? ;)
Can't even imagine that I find myself having turned chat off. It would make me feel very uncomfortable, the fact that I'm not receiving some information while others do. Even when we are talking about chat full of racists/trolls.

Yeah, I actually really like any tough/edgy/evil jokes, about pedophilia, terrorists, politics etc. But when it aren't jokes, just a straight racism, it's getting on my nerves.
On the other hand, mb is just mirror of the society. Racists come here from the real world, and we will not make them change their minds by simply banning them, we can only decrease our player base.

Last edited:
Honestly those kind of radicals will only cause more problems in the long run, banning them now is only saving us headaches for later.

I mean one of them made a thread here about how black people ruined starwars, and revealed one of our active members true nature.
Man Lando really messed with some people.

Last edited:

Cat Lady

Movie Battles II Team Retired
The rule of thumb should be: If it doesn't disturb gameplay, it's not the admins job to handle.

There is no reason to be super PC about this stuff. Since we still have a small playerbase we can't just go around kicking/banning people because they said something racist/sexist/moronic. I've been insulted at least a billion times in this game, I can handle it. If you can't handle it just /ignore and it's done.

Nope. The usual rule of thumb (and not only thumb - it is actually written in official server's guidelines) is to warn first, then IF person in question doesn't comply, take action. No one talks about AOD way of "moderating" everything they don't like - but, if we tolerate wave of misogyny, racism, homophobia and other things you see daily done by frustrated/plain stupid/butthurt MINORITY of MB2 players, we're actually encouraging such behavior. I don't care if someone is good of jedi/sniper/sold/whatever, he also need to behave in (really wide, to be honest) civilized norms, otherwise, GTFO.

Actually, years of neglecting such things resulted in the absolutely shit and pathetic level of "dominating" style of chat in MB2, giving the mod VERY bad opinion amongst many mature players (not giving them a chance to enjoy mod complexity and other indisputable values). But there was an awakening ;) and things improved lately, now seem to head in good direction. Allowing return of "bad old times" - at least on official servers - won't happen, as long as I have anything to say about it. Otherwise, well - there are always greener pastures somewhere else.

Not to mention that it is impossible for admins to keep up with chat and the game at all times to punish the players with bad behavior. It would lead to even more people trolling.

Actually, good admins shouldn't have *any* problem with keeping up. I think you're talking about this kind of "admins" who come to play only and doesn't care much about server well-being, unless bad behavior (gameplay or otherwise) affects themselves personally. Or, someone from other team shout about it very loudly (so they kick, never-minding if they actually kicked actual troublemaker).

Sorry kids, but administrating isn't privilege - it is freakin' hard work, making you on-duty basically everytime you're on the server, no matter if you had hard day at work and just wanted to come and relax. No one forces anyone to be an admin, and in fact I'm more in favor of small, but very responsible and hand-selected group of trusted administrators, than the current "almost everyone have an admin, yet servers are still a mess 3/4 of time".

/Cat Lady

Where chat is involved it's up to the admin's discretion.

Sometimes some joking or some silly comments are fine but the admin needs to be on hand to stop it getting out of control. There's no real guideline for this and there's no right or wrong way to do it either.

Nope. The usual rule of thumb (and not only thumb - it is actually written in official server's guidelines) is to warn first, then IF person in question doesn't comply, take action. No one talks about AOD way of "moderating" everything they don't like - but, if we tolerate wave of misogyny, racism, homophobia and other things you see daily done by frustrated/plain stupid/butthurt MINORITY of MB2 players, we're actually encouraging such behavior. I don't care if someone is good of jedi/sniper/sold/whatever, he also need to behave in (really wide, to be honest) civilized norms, otherwise, GTFO.

Actually, years of neglecting such things resulted in the absolutely shit and pathetic level of "dominating" style of chat in MB2, giving the mod VERY bad opinion amongst many mature players (not giving them a chance to enjoy mod complexity and other indisputable values). But there was an awakening ;) and things improved lately, now seem to head in good direction. Allowing return of "bad old times" - at least on official servers - won't happen, as long as I have anything to say about it. Otherwise, well - there are always greener pastures somewhere else.

Actually, good admins shouldn't have *any* problem with keeping up. I think you're talking about this kind of "admins" who come to play only and doesn't care much about server well-being, unless bad behavior (gameplay or otherwise) affects themselves personally. Or, someone from other team shout about it very loudly (so they kick, never-minding if they actually kicked actual troublemaker).

Sorry kids, but administrating isn't privilege - it is freakin' hard work, making you on-duty basically everytime you're on the server, no matter if you had hard day at work and just wanted to come and relax. No one forces anyone to be an admin, and in fact I'm more in favor of small, but very responsible and hand-selected group of trusted administrators, than the current "almost everyone have an admin, yet servers are still a mess 3/4 of time".

/Cat Lady
I'm not speaking of the official servers.
The fact that i see you maybe once a month on a server speaks for itself. I know how mb2 chat works and let me be clear here: If you step in as a admin for bad behavior people will start to say racist/sexist things just to bait you. And I am totally fine with that. That's what I would do if I wasn't an admin on the server.

. Allowing return of "bad old times" - at least on official servers - won't happen, as long as I have anything to say about it. Otherwise, well - there are always greener pastures somewhere else.

Be sure that I won't allow you to kick/ban people from BG server for any chat related issues.

Not sure why you don't get the simple /ignore function.

Admins...dare I suggest this idea, dare i?

Admins should have the ability to MUTE trolls and protect the innocent noobs among us from their wickedness.
I suggest this because even if you tell them to type /ignore some people are left scratching their heads on how to access console.
I mean, really?

:):):):)