NA Dueling Championship - Weekly Challenger Tournaments

lukechamp3_zps0we7eyql.png

NA Dueling Championship
Current Champion - Vacated - Due to the Holidays
Current Challenger -
Discord
Next Challenger Tournament - 12-30-18

The Challenger Tournament will be
EITHER SATURDAY or SUNDAY, anyone EU or NA can join. The winner of the Challenger Tournament will duel the current NA Dueling Champion for the title. They must schedule and duel by the following Friday. The Challenger Tournament is a single-elimination style tournament or double if everyone votes for it. Regular matches being first to 3 and finals being first to 5.

If you want to participate in the weekly tournaments, just join THIS DISCORD and be in there prior to the start of the tournament so you can be added to the brackets.
Time
12 PM PDT
2 PM CDT
3 PM EDT
9 PM CEST

Rules regarding the tournaments
  • No excessive running but shadow swinging to an extent is fine.
  • No force powers such as pull, push, grip, lightning, force speed, and mind trick.
  • All styles are allowed. - See Q&A at the bottom
  • Mblocking is allowed.
  • No melee (You are allowed to Kata grapple enemy if they YDFA).
  • Be respectful. (No racism, sexism, etc)
    • Be in discord 10 minutes before the start of the Tournament to be added to the brackets.
    • The Challenger Tournament is always on either Saturday or Sunday at 3PM EST.

Rules regarding the title
  • Duels for the championship are always a first to 10 (or a first to 5 if the champion wants that) to have a clear winner.
  • Both duelists must record a demo and the winner posts on the forums with result and dm file attached. - See Q&A at the bottom
  • If the title is ever stripped, the winner of the next Challenger Tournament will become the new champion.
  • Rules from the NA Dueling Tournament apply here. ^see above^
  • The duel MUST be done on an NA server even if the champion is EU, unless both the Champion and Challenger are EU. - See Q&A
  • The champion and the challenger have to schedule and duel for the title by the following Friday.

Holding the title will gain you prestige
Icon_prestige_zpsklri4ict.png
You gain 6 prestige per day that you hold the title. Participating in the Challenger Tournament will earn you prestige. Winning a set of duels will earn you 3 prestige and 1st place will receive 30, 2nd will receive 18, and 3rd will receive 12. There will be a leaderboard based on the number of prestige duelists have built up over their title reigns. Once a new build has released the duelist with most prestige is crowned the "NA Bonjwa" of that previous build.

"Bonjwa is a term used to describe a player who dominates the StarCraft scene for a long period of time. A Bonjwa has a very high winning percentage and successive title wins."

In this case, it's a duelist who dominates a build for a long period of time with the most built up prestige is declared the NA Bonjwa.

The prestige will be reset with the new build and the prestige from the previous build will be saved so anyone can view it. Even though your prestige resets it still counts towards your total and you still get money.

1. Duelist1(x3)
    - Will be crowned NA Bonjwa at the end of whatever build.
  2. Duelist2(x3)
  3. Duelist3(x2)
  4. Duelist4
  5. Duelist5
  6. Duelist6
  7. Duelist7
If they have held the title more than once you will see an x2 or x3 so on and so forth

Accumulating high amounts of prestige will earn you prizes.

Every 180 prestige earns you $10 Steam gift card or Paypal

180 rewards you a $10 -
180 is equal to 30 days as champion.
360 rewards you a $10 -
360 is equal to 60 days as champion.
540 rewards you a $10 -
540 is equal to 90 days as champion.

10/20/18 Duelist1 wins tournament and title
10/29/18 Duelist1 (c) defeats Duelist6 (10-2)
11/06/18 Duelist2 defeats Duelist1 (c) (10-8) - TITLE CHANGE !!!
11/15/18 Duelist2 (c) defeats Duelist3 (10-5)
11/25/18 Duelist1 defeats Duelist2 (c) (10-9) - TITLE CHANGE !!!
(c) = current champion

10/20/18 - 11/06/18: 17 days - Duelist1 +
11/06/18 - 11/25/18: 20 days - Duelist2 +

The idea behind the title system is simple, it will give duelists a reason to keep up with the dueling system/current meta and keep some form of competitiveness among players.

DO NOT JOIN THE TOURNAMENT IF YOU DO NOT INTEND TO FOLLOW UP WITH THE TITLE SYSTEM!!!

I will constantly be updating this.

Q&A
Q: Why are all styles/stances allowed?
A: Restricting styles is very arbitrary especially if you're trying to hold a tournament open for all. Staff, purple, cyan, or duals are essential to some player's style out there. If you consider yourself a good duelist, you should beable to stand up against any style even if you think they're bugged.

Q: Why is EU allowed to participate?
A: EU is half of this community, possibly more than half. Limiting this tournament to NA only would be a bad idea and the community as a whole can benefit from this tournament and title system.

Q: Why is the title only NA?
A: At the end of the day the whole title thing is an experiment. If it works and people stick to it I will host an EU dueling tournament with an EU championship title system to mirror the NA title. That way we can have duo titles and possibly a champion holding both titles. Of course, the EU tournament and title would be hosted on EU servers just how the NA tournament and title are hosted on NA servers.

Q: What if the title is stripped from a champion or a champion relinquishes the title?
A: The winner of the next Challenger Tournament will become the new NA Dueling Champion.

Q: What if I forget to record a demo of my championship match?
A: If you screenshot the final score and your opponent confirms that you beat them, then I will allow that. I would highly encourage you to record your duel.

Q: Will you ever spice up title matches?
A: I was thinking about this, if the title system does stick around for at least 2 months I will think about having special title matches where the champion has to defend the title not in a 1v1, but in a 1v1v1 (Triple threat) or possibly a 1v1v1v1 (Fatal four-way) where the last man standing takes home the title. The duelists in these special matches can be from the top 2 or 3 from the Challenger Tournament.

Q: What if the Champion and Challenger are both EU?
A: They can choose whatever server they want to duel on.

If you have any questions I will answer them and then add them to this Q&A, this might look complicated but I swear it's more simple than it looks as I will be crunching most of these numbers. The above is subject to change.
duelingtourny_zpstcuqe7yr.jpg

NA COMMUNITY DUELING TOURNAMENT

Hey everyone, this is something that I wanted to do a couple of years ago and I am 100% serious about making this happen. Yes, there will be a prize for winning the tournament, a $50 Steam gift card or Paypal. If we get at least 24 participants who show up I will increase the prize from $50 to $100 Steam gift card or Paypal. Spread the word around. It's going to be a double elimination tournament with the regular matches being a first to 3, semi-finals being first to 5, and the finals being first to 10 to have a clear champion. Even though it's an NA tournament EU IS ALLOWED to participate

This is not a regular one stage tournament.

The winner will be crowned champion and defend their title weekly. The real competitive driver to this tournament will be the ongoing cycle challenger and champion - both stages will be explained below.

Stage 1: The Tournament - Double Elimination

Date
October 20, 2018
Time
12 PM PDT
2 PM CDT
3 PM EDT
9 PM CEST
All you have to do to get involved is make a post with your in-game name and CLICK TO ADD ME ON STEAM so I can add you which will help me organize this better. We will meet up in DISCORD SERVER at least 30 minutes before the tournament starts, that way I can generate the brackets. If you aren't there by then you are taken out of the tournament with no exception. Brackets will be generated on Challonge.com. Remember it's double elimination so If you lose your duel you still have a chance to come back from the loser's bracket. You WILL earn Prestige in this tournament. 1st place will receive 30, 2nd will receive 18, and 3rd will receive 12. - Prestige Explained Below

An Example of Double Elimination

Rules regarding the tournament

• No excessive running but shadow swinging to an extent is fine.
  • No force powers such as pull, push, grip, lightning, force speed, and mind trick.
  • All styles are allowed. - See Q&A at the bottom
  • Mblocking is allowed.
  • No melee.
  • Be respectful. (No racism, sexism, etc)

The winner gets the steam gift card (or Paypal) and is crowned the NA dueling champion.

Last edited:
STATISTICS
Updated 12/2/18
I will try to update daily but I will definitely update every Sunday and after every championship match

Current Prestige Leaderboard
  1. Leos(x2)
    282 - Will be crowned NA Bonjwa at the end of the current build.
  2. Vix(x2)
  3. Stassin
  4. Sea-Otter_
  5. Def!led
  6. Exorcist
  7. Mooch
  8. Jaik
  9. Tempest//AgentGibbs
  10. Windshaft
  11. Boobi-Spoop//RenegadeGaming
  12. Neamhain//Aksh
  13. Arthas//Delta
If they have held the title more than once you will see an x2 or x3 so on and so forth

Updated 12/2/18
10/20/18 Leos wins tournament and title
10/31/18 Leos(c) Defeats Exorcist (10-5)
11/4/18 Vix Defeats Leos(c) (5-0) - TITLE CHANGE !!!
11/13/18 Leos Defeats Vix(c) (10-8) - TITLE CHANGE !!!
11/19/18 Vix Defeats Leos(c) (10-7) - TITLE CHANGE !!!
11/30/18 Vix(c) Defeats Leos (10-2)
(c) = current champion​
10/20/18 - 11/4/18: 16 days - Leos +
11/4/19 - 11/13/18: 10 days - Vix +
11/13/18 - 11/19/18: 7 days - Leos +
11/19/19 - Current: 14 days - Vix +

Updated 11/5/18
Individual duelist statistics
Alphabetical
(Ignore Rank, it will be phased out next update. Also you will earn 3 prestige for every match you win, next update will reflect that.)
aksh-stats.jpg
arthas-stats.jpg
449b1c37-d071-4d39-9f4d-a2973b049e58-original.jpg
b2c535c5-08cb-4f4e-91d4-66cba5afe1c8-original.jpg
delta-stats.jpg
09fb35f8-e20a-43ef-8dd6-4ff38b6e0b7d-original.jpg
56308cbb-6bd2-4ef3-9037-8c99941df9fa-original.jpg
1477b4b5-9065-4443-ba50-2765d836d156-original.jpg
mooch-stats.jpg
motoko-stats.jpg
neamhain-stats_zpsfzcqkq6j.jpg
nyralim-stats_zpsppqstcps.jpg
punk-stats_zpsrvzfphh0.jpg
renegadegaming-stats_zpsxxppopis.jpg
shalak-stats_zpshbg4dkmf.jpg
0d87557b-0e3d-4dfc-8df6-978316c40c5e-original.jpg
tempest-stats_zpsdjiytkzg.jpg
eab02911-3400-4846-9131-e798d3137839-original.jpg
3f452884-b329-4f39-bd0f-066c54445e35-original.jpg
These are placeholders until I can get someone to make good looking graphics. If you need any changes to your name let me know.

Green - Confirmed
Red - Interested but unsure if they can make it

1. Tempest
  2. Apex
  3. oodle
  4. Vix
  5. Stassin
  6. Mooch
  7. Leos
  8. Jaik
  9. Shalak
  10. Nyralim
  11. Blazer
  12. Loonar
  13. Exorcist
  14. Arthas
  15. AOD_Dai
  16. RC-Delta
  17. [tR] Motoko
  18. Def!led
  19. Neamhain
  20. EW//Stephen
  21. Tylenol
  22. PuNk
  23. Aaron
  24. Aksh
  25. Sekundus
  26. RenegadeGaming

If you are interested in this tournament I will add you to the list of participants even if you're unsure whether or not you will be able to attend. Anyone not in the discord (Don't have one yet) 30 minutes prior to the start of the tournament will be removed from the list. Remember we have plenty of time to fill out the list.

The Plan
October 20th we will meet up in discord 30 minutes prior to the start of the tournament. If you're not there by then you will be removed from the tournament and I will then make the brackets. I will link my twitch channel in the discord and live stream me generating the brackets so noone thinks I manipulated them.

The map will be mb2_saber_training and the duels will be done inside the private rooms. Once the brackets are generated group 1 will go into room 1, group 2 will go into room 2, etc. Once your duels are complete feel free to duel in the open area to pass time.

Once round 1 is complete we will have both round 2 of the winners bracket and round 1 of the losers bracket start their duels. Once those are complete we will move onto round 3 of the winners bracket and round 2 of the losers bracket etc etc. There will be enough rooms to have these duels going on simultaneously.

We are doing it this way to keep some form of organization or else we'd have a huge clusterfuck of randomness going on. The winner of the duels will post the results in the discord for me to mark down. (Do not tell me in-game, must be in discord.) Do not start your duels until I give the go ahead.

Once the tournament is over I will make a new thread to announce the winner and introduce the weekly Challenger Tournament where signups will be done. Also that new thread will hold everything to do with the title, such as prestige leaderboard, title reigns, statistics, etc.

f3f3a54795.png

Last edited:
The winner will be crowned champion and defend their title weekly

Don't you think that's a bit too often? Title will be jumping from one person to another making it look less "prestigious" (yes, i know i'm talking about mb2 lol). The same situation happened in chess world championships, when anyone could challenge the reigning champion creating a list of "champions" people don't respect as much as their predecessors.

Really cool idea but remove the excessive running rule and make sure the duels are in duel_training so that people actually cant run away

The point of that rule is to allow for people who incorporate good footwork or dodging swings to participate in the tournament, I myself hate the whole concept of shadow swinging when they're low but some people do it moderately even when full. If I have everyone perform duels in the private rooms on the saber training map it won't be an issue anyways.

Don't you think that's a bit too often? Title will be jumping from one person to another making it look less "prestigious" (yes, i know i'm talking about mb2 lol). The same situation happened in chess world championships, when anyone could challenge the reigning champion creating a list of "champions" people don't respect as much as their predecessors.

Not trying to insult you but I'm assuming you didn't read the whole thing. The whole point of the Challenger Tournament every Saturday is to make sure that only the best can challenge for the title. It's not going to change as often as you think.

Updated the Q&A, If both Champion and Challenger are EU they can duel on any server they wish.

Any chance of doing it on a Canadian server? Optimal ping for everyone.
The NA Community Dueling Tournament and the Challenger Tournaments will take place on my server, the Championship matches can be agreed upon by the Champion and Challenger but it must be NA unless both Champion and Challenger are EU.

@AaronAaron @foggy @Tylenol @PuNk @pelmeņu lauks

I'll need you guys to post the name you use in-game if you plan on participating and I'll add you to a list in the original post. I tried to find times that should work with most people, this will be on a Saturday. My original plan was Sunday but I realize for EU that would be inconvenient because they return to work/school the next day and the tournament will be late for them.

Date
October 20, 2018
Time
12 PM PDT
2 PM CDT
3 PM EDT
9 PM CEST

It's very early for me to confirm anything, I don't know how my schedule will look like in October but if I'm free on that day I'll gladly participate.

Last edited:
if you just got the game and you really really bad at dueling or saber stuff in general, what are the chances of winning this tournament? Hypothetically
Well, you have a month to train and get better.

It's very early for me to confirm anything, I don't know how my schedule will look like in October but if I'm free on that day I'd gladly participate.

Right, when it gets closer to the start of the tournament I will ask everyone again who isn't sure currently.

if you just got the game and you really really bad at dueling or saber stuff in general, what are the chances of winning this tournament? Hypothetically

I've seen people get really good within 3-4 months, but 1 month to get to that kind of level would be rly hard. Never say never tho, u should definitely participate to gain experience at least.

Well, you have a month to train and get better.

Right, when it gets closer to the start of the tournament I will ask everyone again who isn't sure currently.
You're gonna get shat on
I've seen people get really good within 3-4 months, but 1 month to get to that kind of level would be rly hard. Never say never tho, u should definitely participate to gain experience at least.
350.png

I should be able to make that time. Any idea how long the whole tournament will be and if anyone will be streaming it?

I should be able to make that time. Any idea how long the whole tournament will be and if anyone will be streaming it?

How long depends on how many people join the tournament, it's a double elimination on top of that.

I was planning on recording the tournament and uploading it to YouTube, or someone else can. I also plan on recording the title matches from the demo files and uploading them to YouTube.