My Cloud City Shaft Map (RELEASED)

One time, i made a cloud city shaft map which is basically where luke gets thrown out the window and loses his hand, and i request it to be added in the mb2 maps list
also, as you can see some more people wanted this map to be also put in mb2
here is the download
and here are some screenshots
shot2020-06-15_15-53-39.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-00-33.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-00-45.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-01-10.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-01-12.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-01-21.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-01-33.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-02-01.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-02-31.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-02-41.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-02-48.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-03-12.jpg

Upvote 0
Add a shader where a severed hand flys by in the wind occasionally.
thats... not how shaders work.
shaders are basically just effects for textures, like example: making glass transparent or making metal shine.
plus, it would be difficult to make some sort of hand model and even more harder to make it fly around the map, plus, it would be hardly noticeable and akward if someone sees it.

shaders are basically just effects for textures, like example: making glass transparent or making metal shine.
plus, it would be difficult to make some sort of hand model and even more harder to make it fly around the map, plus, it would be hardly noticeable and akward if someone sees it.

I wrote that mainly for laughs, referencing the exact scene youre making, where the first hand in star wars was cut off.

Im still learning, though I feel like a skybox alpha shader might be able to support an animated hand fly-by.

Again, not that I was requesting it, just a joke.

Unless you want to add an easter egg to your map.

No thats exactly how shaders work. In my Ord Mantell RP or Taris RP maps I did a bunch of similar effects by making my own shaders and using transparency.

Its how you get those cool speeders flying around on Nar Shaddaa etc.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
good job finding a hole in the maps and filling it. Keep it up

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
the red interior looks a little bleached/washed out. Could use some more contrast I think in general. Overall looks good though

.biggs

uM Team Mapper
Looking much better. For that hallway, I suggest first removing the lights you've placed, and turn those yellow floor textures into a light source via a shader. Compile to see how it looks, and then if necessary add some soft lights or adjust the shader until you are satisfied. Also, it looks like you've made the shadow coming through the window out of brushes? You should be able to accomplish something similar by placing a light outside of the window and have it target an info_null.

I've seen better
You know, thats not really good critcism,
what can i do to make it look better?
Looking much better. For that hallway, I suggest first removing the lights you've placed, and turn those yellow floor textures into a light source via a shader. Compile to see how it looks, and then if necessary add some soft lights or adjust the shader until you are satisfied. Also, it looks like you've made the shadow coming through the window out of brushes? You should be able to accomplish something similar by placing a light outside of the window and have it target an info_null.
Yes, that sounds like a good idea, and thanks for the tip.
EDIT: Where do i place the info_null?
Talking about lights via shaders, how do i color the light shaders?
the red interior looks a little bleached/washed out. Could use some more contrast I think in general. Overall looks good though
Also, in the movie it really is like that, its kind of a red thats not saturated, and changing the contrast would make it innacurate.

Last edited:

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
sometimes artistic style overrides faded color in a movie from the 80s :wampa: