My Cloud City Shaft Map (RELEASED)

One time, i made a cloud city shaft map which is basically where luke gets thrown out the window and loses his hand, and i request it to be added in the mb2 maps list
also, as you can see some more people wanted this map to be also put in mb2
here is the download
and here are some screenshots
shot2020-06-15_15-53-39.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-00-33.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-00-45.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-01-10.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-01-12.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-01-21.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-01-33.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-02-01.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-02-31.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-02-41.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-02-48.jpgshot2020-06-15_16-03-12.jpg

Upvote 0
It doesn't look like you have caulked the brush faces which aren't visible. Also, there is quite a bit of Z-fighting going on between brushes, but that's quite easy to fix you just need to move some stuff around. And Spag made some good points, as it is quite likely that your entire map is made up of structural brushes.
On the cloud city shaft or the bespin map?
because on the bespin map (also i forgot)
"whats a caulk?"

Dude i wanna play duel on ur map so bad! When will it be a part of offical mb2 maps?
Cloud City Shaft here!
well, if any of the big mb2 devs see this and they like it and the others big mb2 devs also like this and all of the big mb2 devs think its a nice choice to put into their map, then yes!
but if most of them don't like it, well probably never.

One big thing beginner mappers (and even not so...) skip over is brush optimization, something that can be pretty important for good performance once you start trying to do anything complex. Mitering being the main thing.

The other big pitfall is understanding at least the basics of the PVS system, which is really just using structural / detail brushes properly to avoid super long compiles, VIS errors, and poor FPS. There's no one stop handy guide for that that I'm aware of, though things like Richdiesal's well known tutorial series does briefly touch on it.
Nah dont worry, The shaft map has mostly detail brushes, and it compiles pretty fast.
Hmm, mlltering, for my next map i will keep that in mind.

RELEASE!!!!!!:
View attachment 4858View attachment 4851View attachment 4851View attachment 4852View attachment 4853View attachment 4854View attachment 4855View attachment 4856View attachment 4857View attachment 4858/Cloud_City_Shaft.zip/file
With all those new shaders and improvements, it’s looking pretty damn good.

Guys, i just got netradiant, which as you know, fixes textures when rotating, so i will release a new version soon with some bug fixes.
To the people that downloaded the release,
look at the red pillar thingies (i dunno)
their textures are hecked up

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Guys, i just got netradiant, which as you know, fixes textures when rotating, so i will release a new version soon with some bug fixes.
The original Netradiant or Netradiant-custom? I would recommend using the latter. Netradiant in general is much better compared to 1.6. Less bugs and crashing, superior texture fitting tools, performs better (noticable on complex maps), handles undo/redo sanely, and more. The q3map2 compiler shipped with it handles some types of lighting differently though (it's not hard to just use a different q3map2 version if you don't want to adapt map lighting).

Another thing to keep in mind is that the .map format between Radiant 1.6.x and 1.5 (which Netradiant and Netradiant-custom are derived from) has different precision for brush coordinates. This means you can end up with some brush corruption if you go from one to the other, so you generally don't want to jump between the two without looking for potential issues (and then stick to the preferred editor). Not so much of an issue if you're not collaborating with someone else using a different Radiant version, but still something to be aware of.

The original Netradiant or Netradiant-custom? I would recommend using the latter. Netradiant in general is much better compared to 1.6. Less bugs and crashing, superior texture fitting tools, performs better (noticable on complex maps), handles undo/redo sanely, and more. The q3map2 compiler shipped with it handles some types of lighting differently though (it's not hard to just use a different q3map2 version if you don't want to adapt map lighting).

Another thing to keep in mind is that the .map format between Radiant 1.6.x and 1.5 (which Netradiant and Netradiant-custom are derived from) has different precision for brush coordinates. This means you can end up with some brush corruption if you go from one to the other, so you generally don't want to jump between the two without looking for potential issues (and then stick to the preferred editor). Not so much of an issue if you're not collaborating with someone else using a different Radiant version, but still something to be aware of.
Net radiant custom, somebody gave me their copy.