Mb2_Sarlacc - new jabba sail barge map

Hello Movie Battles 2 Community! My name is Langerd - i am mapper that is mostly active on jkhub.

I just downloaded Movie Battles 2 and gave it a try. I must say... i am more than immpressed. It is a masterpiece of the mod and it finally gave me intrest to play multiplayer with jk3 players. I was never fan of multiplayer experience but now i not only want to be part of the community as the player - but as modder too. If you want of course. So in my first post i will give you my first post with my suggestion and my work in progress on the map - It is Jabba Sail Barge.

PHJivir.jpg

The rest of the images are here :
imgur album dSOz3

My idea for the objective is make this big cannon that Leia destroyed tha barge. The Rebels must destroy the barge by hacking the cannon to (Like Luke Said in the movie) POINT AT THE DECK! . They can do it manualy (like Leia in the movie and this will take longer) or faster method (in the cockpit of the barge) that will rotate the canon much much faster BUT the canon still must be activated manualy (the time to activate will be very fast).

What do you think and do you like the idea of the map like this?

Skiff model is AshuraDX's model but i changed textures and changed model to MD3.

Map is ready for the testing!
[DOWNLOAD IT HERE]

.pk3 file from above goes to "Jedi Academy\Movie Battles 2\GameData\MBII" In order to run the map start your local server and in the console input "/map mb2_sarlacc". Please, provide me with some feedback!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
Hi and welcome! Always good to see new modders popping in. We actually have a sailbarge map (I think you can get to it with just devmap or map and then "sailbarge" if I remember correctly). It has similar objectives to what you described.

Enjoy your stay.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
lets be real tho tempest, mb2_sailbarge succs

You can't go inside the barge :<

and it just has weird.. geometry. It's... awkward to... traverse. (Why can't imperials get to their own upper deck without doing a fancy roll trick??) It's a gunky-feeling, plain-looking map.

From the screenshots above, I'm certainly a bit intrigued by Langerd's version

Last edited:
Welcome!
Here are some tips:
  • ignore the in-game chat most of the time (some people dislike the toxic/troll comments)
  • don't be a perma-troll or a timewaster
But a great thing with the community is that you can be horrendous and people won't insult you, as opposed to some hardcore competitive games.

Edit:
Nice work on the maps, I wonder if it would be possible to make the main barge quite bigger (though some lore people might not agree), since it might be too crowded, unless it's for a duel server, then this map would be pretty perfect as is.

How is this map gameplay wise now, sailbarge was just for trolls and I have never liked it myself - make it playable.

Jabba assasination or rescuing Boba Fett from Salrac, whatever.

Hello Movie Battles 2 Community! My name is Langerd - i am mapper that is mostly active on jkhub.

I just downloaded Movie Battles 2 and gave it a try. I must say... i am more than immpressed. It is a masterpiece of the mod and it finally gave me intrest to play multiplayer with jk3 players. I was never fan of multiplayer experience but now i not only want to be part of the community as the player - but as modder too. If you want of course. So in my first post i will give you my first post with my suggestion and my work in progress on the map - It is Jabba Sail Barge.

PHJivir.jpg

The rest of the images are here :
imgur album dSOz3

My idea for the objective is make this big cannon that Leia destroyed tha barge. The Rebels must destroy the barge by hacking the cannon to (Like Luke Said in the movie) POINT AT THE DECK! . They can do it manualy (like Leia in the movie and this will take longer) or faster method (in the cockpit of the barge) that will rotate the canon much much faster BUT the canon still must be activated manualy (the time to activate will be very fast).

What do you think and do you like the idea of the map like this?
People have been wanting the sail barge map remade for years. The old one is ugly and not super fun. You haven't been here a week and I already love you. Please finish this map.

Ok it is very important question from me. I saw many topics here and i found out that maps are often changed a lot to be canon. Many maps as far as i saw are not 100% like they are in the movies and some of them are not movie based (like lunarbase and Dxun map i believe).

Do You prefer 100% like movie scene map or new came up story with some extra gameplay elements. For example i made platform that connects the barge and skiff on the right and i also added the staircase with platforms behind the barge. I also want to add some crates maybe 2 extra skiffs that are not floating and also cockpit.

EDIT: remember.. rebels need to get inside the barge. The sand around is not a death pot (i checked this sail barge map... and it is horrible... it was test map i thonk but i died because i fell on the sand?? What..) I fought movie battles have too many closed room maps. It needs small center map with sarlacc and the barge

The only issue i have is the sarlacc npc because his animation for some reason resets to the default root animation after every new match. Still dont know how to fix this issue. Maybe i will just add a script to tentacles and sarlacc to have looped animation. But i wanted to make him bite the victims that will fell inside the pit. And this is very cool thing!!! I added slick shader and every player who will fell into the pit will be instanlty knocked and will die for sure.

Ok it is very important question from me. I saw many topics here and i found out that maps are often changed a lot to be canon. Many maps as far as i saw are not 100% like they are in the movies and some of them are not movie based (like lunarbase and Dxun map i believe).

Do You prefer 100% like movie scene map or new came up story with some extra gameplay elements. For example i made platform that connects the barge and skiff on the right and i also added the staircase with platforms behind the barge. I also want to add some crates maybe 2 extra skiffs that are not floating and also cockpit.

EDIT: remember.. rebels need to get inside the barge. The sand around is not a death pot (i checked this sail barge map... and it is horrible... it was test map i thonk but i died because i fell on the sand?? What..) I fought movie battles have too many closed room maps. It needs small center map with sarlacc and the barge

The only issue i have is the sarlacc npc because his animation for some reason resets to the default root animation after every new match. Still dont know how to fix this issue. Maybe i will just add a script to tentacles and sarlacc to have looped animation. But i wanted to make him bite the victims that will fell inside the pit. And this is very cool thing!!! I added slick shader and every player who will fell into the pit will be instanlty knocked and will die for sure.
I'm speaking personally but as far as map design goes, going canon is good but playability and objectives are the primary aspect. If you add some slight modifications that will improve the map and that cannot be accomplished with canon elements then it's fine. As long as it's a possible configuration in the SW universe it should be fine since maps are not exact scenes but location inspired by scenes.

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
There are often allowances for gameplay in the movie based maps, there's just no other sensible way to approach it. Obviously the non-movie locations give mappers all the latitude they want to design and build what they want.

I'm speaking personally but as far as map design goes, going canon is good but playability and objectives are the primary aspect. If you add some slight modifications that will improve the map and that cannot be accomplished with canon elements then it's fine. As long as it's a possible configuration in the SW universe it should be fine since maps are not exact scenes but location inspired by scenes.

Ok! The best way will be giving you new screens of maps with what i mean.

Well the main issue is that classes like super battle droid need a walkway to the barge because they cant jump. It would be bad when tanky/firepower class cant defend the objective.

Honestly, it shouldn't matter whether a map is canon-accurate or not. What's more important is the level design. Keep in mind that MB2 is a semi-competitive multiplayer video game, so it shouldn't matter whether a map is very canon-accurate or not. What's more important is the level design of the said map: how the objective works, whether the objective is too difficult or too easy to do or even how other classes interact with the map, and more importantly the fun factor. For example, Coruscant Chase is a poorly designed map because it's either a giant Mando fest or Rebel Camp fest(and the map is "canon-accurate".)

ps Smuggler is the best map

Last edited:
For example, Coruscant Chase is a poorly designed map because it's either a giant Mando fest or Rebel Camp fest(and the map is "canon-accurate".)
Coruscant chase is one of the most fun maps. Balance is kinda iffy but it's still a blast to play.