Mando Love

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
We all know the Mando needs a bit of love. While I am aware they are getting some form of love soon I've just had this idea for a while.

Jetpack Fuel Rework
All Mandos now spawn in with a full tank of fuel by default. The difference here is the tank is now smaller and can only support one full length flight.(What I mean by that is flying until the auto shut off) The Jetpack Fuel points now determine the speed at which fuel is regenerated. I imagine it a bit like Stamina, but much slower. No points in Fuel have either extremely slow or no regeneration. Increasing levels speeds up the process. No clue on exact numbers but maybe something like at level 3 it regens at 150% of the time it takes for a complete flight. In my eyes this could encourage more airborne stunts by players and let them be less conservative with the precious guzzoline. It also opens up new avenues for builds by making Fuel 3 not so essential.

Sniper EE-3 Change
Have the Sniper upgrade for the EE-3 use separate ammo than the main gun. Either that or make it not use as much per shot while still requiring reload.

Wrist Laser Change
Shorten, not remove, that god awful delay before firing so it is a viable choice over the flame thrower.

Upgradeable Gauntlet
Maybe add some points that let the wrist gauntlet perform wall clings. Think of Jango's spikes on Kamino.

Those were my ideas but I read some others, can't remember by whom, that I really liked.
Jetpack activation when knocked down as a fast getup. You even see Jango do it on Kamino. Would have to be like a burst though and not controllable, subject to cooldowns.
Whipcord on wrist gauntlet. Used probably like Grip but no damage?

Put in dark saber as a melee weapon. Not really though. Pre Viszla was a douche.

So what's the problem?

I think we can all agree that this game has enough swords to begin with and doesn't need any more of them.

And as said before, we really don't need to copy paste features around just to make classes have more choice.

"BUT X CLASS HAS THINGS FROM Y CLASS"

Present tense versus past tense yada yada.

Jetpackless mandos with some perk would be neat. I just don't have any ideas for that, and something along the lines of 'faster movement speed' or 'more armor' makes me cry.

That sounds like an older version of the regular jetpack that just cools down. I think that the jump pack sounds more unique. I imagine it kind of blasting off like a rocket. Great speed and momentum that is not very controllable after launch, it requires the aim for it before you activate.

Also had a though of jetpack back burners setting people on fire.... but that would have too much TK, even though it'd be hilarious.

The point would be that a jetpack like that lets you use it for combat, but it can't be used to run away from everything any better than a normal jetpack.

A problem with momentum and stuff in this mod is that I think the physics have been coded to block momentum to an extent, to prevent bunnyhops and such.

And as said before, we really don't need to copy paste features around just to make classes have more choice.
"BUT X CLASS HAS THINGS FROM Y CLASS"

How is it copying and pasting from wookie if wookies cant block melee weapons?
It would be a copy and paste from wookies if I included the rage mode, and had knock downs on secondary strikes.

Its just a dude that has a gun, and a sword in exchange for no jetpack and missile.
Here is a bullshit idea to make him more unique if you must insist im copying and pasting.

Westar pistol in the left hand, sword in the right.
Right click to block, special 1 to strike.

I am not going to push that idea because its dumb, but its not copying and pasting.
Its just a class that has a melee weapon without space magic.

Last edited:

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
I don't think a full blown melee weapon fits mandos very well. If any existing class were fit for a vibroblade, it would be ET/commander. 30-35 pts for a vibroblade could cause people who use it to choose between lacking firepower with guns or play a one life ET/commander. There's already a neo-crusader model for commander class, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to lump those more melee oriented characters and playstyles in with the class based around the more modern jetpack mandos.

The alternate jumpjet type jetpack is probably the best and most practical suggestion for mando I've seen. Instead of having a rocket be a separate purchase, have it be part of the current jetpack. Buying either jetpack type costs points now, and fuel is cheaper to compensate (which could also encourage people to not buy a jetpack at all and play a ground based flamethrower mando). The new jetpack type uses class special 1 to give you a short quick boost based on whatever direction keys you're pressing (including jump). Has a small cooldown between uses, but significantly shorter than the current jetpack's cooldown.

Something like:
Fuel: 5/5/5 points
Heavy Jetpack: 20 points (current jetpack + rocket)
Light Jetpack: 10 points (new jumpjet)
(Didn't look at mandos current point costs for fuel while making this, but the increased cost of rocket w/ jetpack makes up for discount on fuel.)

Last edited:
I think another nice addition would be making it knock down on collision with another player(including teammates) making it a kind of ram kind of weapon but terrible for damage or doing a fair amount of damage to both the user and the victim

I don't think a full blown melee weapon fits mandos very well. If any existing class were fit for a vibroblade, it would be ET/commander. 30-35 pts for a vibroblade could cause people who use it to choose between lacking firepower with guns or play a one life ET/commander. There's already a neo-crusader model for commander class, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to lump those more melee oriented characters and playstyles in with the class based around the more modern jetpack mandos.

I originally wanted something like that months ago for ET/CMDR, but I was told it would be op.
Another reason I wish skills translated to having items, a Neo Crusader with an invisible jet-pack would be hilarious but completely stupid if it was a model you could select on mando.

I think another nice addition would be making it knock down on collision with another player(including teammates) making it a kind of ram kind of weapon but terrible for damage or doing a fair amount of damage to both the user and the victim
The griefing potential would be off the charts, but I can see how fun it would be to ram into enemies and they get knocked back flying.

Giving Mandalorian melee weapons will not make them any more warrior-like. The only reason Jedi/Sith can play so aggressive with a melee weapon is because lightsabers can block blaster fire: a sword won't be able to do this. The only reason rage Wookiee is so effective in melee is because of the insane movement speed, attack speed, gap closer and damage reduction coupled with a huge health pool. Instead, I'll wager, implementing a sword will reduce a class that is situationally capable of eliminating packs of gunners in seconds, to one that hides and ambushes (much in the vein of Jedi/Sith) for the melee kill. If you want to give the class even more aggressive capabilities by giving it a tool to frequently reposition itself on a low cool-down (lol dash), then a jump pack is pretty neat. It would naturally have to sacrifice total distance travelled, in the sense of agile mobility versus durable mobility (i.e, a jump pack could only used for evasive manoeuvres/engaging than drive-bying Jedi or rushing to objectives). That said, the jetpack functions, and functions well as it is. I really think the main priority should be fixing what is currently not working with the Mandalorian: the wrist blaster.

It's not really good at all. Its use is very niched to being something flashily preemptive versus a pulling/pushing Jedi, or used in conjunction with a charged Westar shot. In all accounts shooting with your primary weapon will be both more efficient and reliable. It is not necessarily that its raw damage or Force drain is bad, but that it occupies a role that is already taken by your primary weapon. Contrast this to the flamethrower which can be used for both crowd control and damage that bypasses a Jedi's defences. Consider also that the flamethrower DoT is additive to your damage output with your primary weapon. Returning to the scenario of the wrist laser, where your damage output is either your wrist blaster or your primary weapon (but not both), and where the damage and utility (Force Point drain) from your primary weapon outclasses the wrist blaster, where exactly is the incentive to use it?

This problem is particularly worse as both items are on an equal points basis. In the recent past we have discussed Bowcaster 3 as a sacrificial choice over defensive attributes and the rather exploitable scenarios this produces (knock downs/splatting). This, however, is a scenario wherein two equally expensive attributes are unequal in performance even at differing levels of an individual's skill. For example, both the ion blob and concussive blob cost 5 pts., whilst in terms of damage the ion blob is non-comparable to the concussive counterpart, it exceeds in crowd control and shutting down heavy droids. In other words, there is a clear purpose for each blob and even though they compete for the same resource, they do not compete for their role. No such thing exists for the Mandalorian, the flamethrower is a given; your flamethrower does reliable damage that cannot be ignored. The statistics for the wrist blaster might be good, but it is so clunky that you are better off just shooting with a normal gun.

Like always, there are cult-ish proponents of less than satisfactory game mechanics, be it the wrist blaster mandem or the I-used-red-stance-before-it-was-brokenly-absurd. I do not think such people are good references as they are usually trying to be cool, or just arsing about having fun. There is a reason why red stance, and other stances are so popular these latest patches, and that is probably due to the fact they have been buffed (or overly buffed) to the point that they work now.

It would be better to fix what we have, before adding more. At least, for my sake, I would appreciate it if there is some clear consensus amongst the development team regarding the state of wrist blaster, and the effective action that will be taken thereon.

No vibroblades please, they'll be crap until the team feel obliged to buff it to make it viable and then they'll need some annoying crap to do so like repulse or jump kick. No thank you.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Best points so far.

Make Wrist Laser on par with Flamethrower.

Add jump pack as alternate choice to normal pack.

I think Mandos should get a small Wrist Rocket as an optional purchase. So if a mando ops for the light jetpack, they have a little explosive fire power to go along with it, but not nearly as powerful as the heavy jetpack rocket.

EDIT: Problem is, how would it be used? Class specials 1 and 2 are already taken, and using weapon switch in melee to select it isn't viable...

Last edited:
Team would have to combine another button. Maybe like use force power becomes another class special for gunners?

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Just use special 1 still since the heavy rocket is unavailable with this setup.

Just use special 1 still since the heavy rocket is unavailable with this setup.
I already thought of that, but what if you got the heavy jetpack? AND you bought the Wrist rocket. Unless is no way to buy both, that wouldn't work.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
I thought you said that the wrist rocket would be the choice only with lighter pack.