Mando Love

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
We all know the Mando needs a bit of love. While I am aware they are getting some form of love soon I've just had this idea for a while.

Jetpack Fuel Rework
All Mandos now spawn in with a full tank of fuel by default. The difference here is the tank is now smaller and can only support one full length flight.(What I mean by that is flying until the auto shut off) The Jetpack Fuel points now determine the speed at which fuel is regenerated. I imagine it a bit like Stamina, but much slower. No points in Fuel have either extremely slow or no regeneration. Increasing levels speeds up the process. No clue on exact numbers but maybe something like at level 3 it regens at 150% of the time it takes for a complete flight. In my eyes this could encourage more airborne stunts by players and let them be less conservative with the precious guzzoline. It also opens up new avenues for builds by making Fuel 3 not so essential.

Sniper EE-3 Change
Have the Sniper upgrade for the EE-3 use separate ammo than the main gun. Either that or make it not use as much per shot while still requiring reload.

Wrist Laser Change
Shorten, not remove, that god awful delay before firing so it is a viable choice over the flame thrower.

Upgradeable Gauntlet
Maybe add some points that let the wrist gauntlet perform wall clings. Think of Jango's spikes on Kamino.

Those were my ideas but I read some others, can't remember by whom, that I really liked.
Jetpack activation when knocked down as a fast getup. You even see Jango do it on Kamino. Would have to be like a burst though and not controllable, subject to cooldowns.
Whipcord on wrist gauntlet. Used probably like Grip but no damage?

Put in dark saber as a melee weapon. Not really though. Pre Viszla was a douche.

About swords and knives and all that shit, let me explain why it's a bad idea:

Let's say you have a knife that doesn't let you block or deflect, but it can kill. Well, what are you going to do with it? Run at somebody and try not to get shot while you try to knife them, when you could just have a gun and shoot the guy? Well, knife them from behind? In the rare case you get behind somebody you don't want to take the risk that they turn around and notice you, so you'd rather just shoot them in the back of their head before anything bad happens, rather than run up to them and knife them.

So with implementation like that, a sword/knife is completely useless and becomes a gimmick feature for wannabe stylish kills that, well, are about as stylish as a jedi backwhacking someone. So it's a completely meaningless feature.

Well, what if you could deflect? That would make it useful. But then you'd be copypasting features from jedi to another class, let alone it being extremely silly that a non-force sensitive can deflect stuff. Combine that with jetpacks, you've got OP bullshit. Well, you can't use a jetpack, now you're a mando with a sword and a gun. Lame. Except having a sword that can deflect and a gun for ranged is pretty damn strong. Well, let's remove that. Boom, now you're just a mando with a sword. Useless.

It's impossible to design into open mode in a way that actually adds to the gameplay without breaking anything. Stop asking for swords, knives, axes, vibroblades, polearms, spears, fish and other weapons meant for cutting for non-jedi classes to open mode. It's been tested, it's been deemed it doesn't work. Just stop.

An alternative burst jetpack that's kinda like a jump pack would be cool. I once suggested giving mandos the ability to do this kinda explosive dash with the jetpack to various directions. Doesn't really add anything to the game though, but doesn't necessarily hurt anything either. Cool, but not worth implementing.

I think the way jetpack is now is balanced, but having some choice to the way it works at the cost of something else to balance it out, in a sensible way that is, would add some versatility to mando, but I honestly think they're already hella versatile.

What's with people calling EE-3 bland? It's an awesome weapon that's great for single shot hits even without the sniper, and you can run and gun accurately because the first few shots are perfectly accurate. You basically fire single shots or bursts. It's like a manual-use A280 with a sniper rifle add-on but more badass.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
An alternative burst jetpack that's kinda like a jump pack would be cool. I once suggested giving mandos the ability to do this kinda explosive dash with the jetpack to various directions. Doesn't really add anything to the game though, but doesn't necessarily hurt anything either. Cool, but not worth implementing.

I think the way jetpack is now is balanced, but having some choice to the way it works at the cost of something else to balance it out, in a sensible way that is, would add some versatility to mando, but I honestly think they're already hella versatile.

I just want to see mando gameplay more jetpack centered, and adding a second type of pack that works differently would add an entirely new dimension to the play style. Right now the jetpack works fine, yeah, but it's all about the same. We have our nimble flight pack mandos like right now, or the fast and hard hitting assault pack mandos that speed in and out of action. Right now smart players conserve the fuel and use it sparingly at the exact opportune moment. It works great. At first my thought of the regenerating fuel was to encourage players to either use more short bursts or an all in one long flight but a separate type of jetpack would do this way better. I would imagine the rocket blasting mandos would be able to redirect off of walls like a ricochet. The normal type is more defensive and the jump pack type is more assault. I think it works.

I agree about the melee weapons, while cool, would not serve much purpose.

Haha just thought... add one handed melee weapons for the mando to use in conjunction with a pistol and we now have an Assault Marine... Would be super awesome but probably wouldn't work.

Don't like the idea of mandos having melee weapons. It will slow down gameplay and won't be that fun.

I'm really liking the burst jetpack idea, I would suggest giving it two bursts, one for getting in, one for getting out, then you have to wait for the recharge. That might be a bit OP though.

Don't like the idea of mandos having melee weapons. It will slow down gameplay and won't be that fun.

I'm really liking the burst jetpack idea, I would suggest giving it two bursts, one for getting in, one for getting out, then you have to wait for the recharge. That might be a bit OP though.

Maybe you can have a timer, until a point where you cannot use your second burst. For example I use my first burst to get into close combat, and I have like 5 seconds to use my second burst, if I don't I have to wait for the jetpack to be fully recharged. In that way a mand with this jetpack could only rush for a micro attack before retreating, or if he want to stay longer he'll have to wait a full recharge.

How would swords slow down gameplay?
A weapon that you need to get close to use.
A weapon that is impossible to camp with, would slow down gameplay?

About swords and knives and all that shit, let me explain why it's a bad idea:

Let's say you have a knife that doesn't let you block or deflect, but it can kill. Well, what are you going to do with it? Run at somebody and try not to get shot while you try to knife them, when you could just have a gun and shoot the guy? Well, knife them from behind? In the rare case you get behind somebody you don't want to take the risk that they turn around and notice you, so you'd rather just shoot them in the back of their head before anything bad happens, rather than run up to them and knife them.
So wookie melee is useless and should be removed then?
Along with grabs and punching?

Because all of those use the same mechanics of running behind somebody and hoping they don't notice.

Last edited:

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Well there would be more camping to avoid getting shot out in the open while trying to get someone head on with the sword. The only way it would actually work is if they go all assault marine with it and jump pack boost in for some slice n dice. Honestly that would be amazingly cool but probably won't happen.

Well there would be more camping to avoid getting shot out in the open while trying to get someone head on with the sword. The only way it would actually work is if they go all assault marine with it and jump pack boost in for some slice n dice. Honestly that would be amazingly cool but probably won't happen.
Oh there is no way that will happen. A 40K FA map would be awesome though.

The whole point of the sword is so people with guns have a melee weapon, Crusaders diden't just do banzai charges. They used guns and used swords for CQC encounters.

A knife would do more damage than a punch, its a slight upgrade to punching.
Short and long would have defense capabilities against people who also have swords.

Last edited:
Short and long would have defense capabilities against people who also have swords.
by choosing a GUNNER class you accept that the only weapon you will be able to use is obviously a gun, if you wish to specialize in melee and weapons then play as a wookie, having a jedi with only a saber and then gunners with like both melee and ranged weapons would be extremely unfair new people already get decimated by melee gunners having knives would just turn gunner vs jedi into weaker jedi vs jedi everyone would be duelling saber or not because its way easier if they see a nearby gunner they would simply switch to knife and the gunner would do the same and they would duel the thing that makes jedi unique is that they're the only ones with a long range weapon and if you give other classes a melee weapon even a short range one you no longer make jedi unique and you also completely change the flow of the game if you make the knife undefendable then they will work similar to the stealth trooper on fa jedi temple, they'll just spam left click and live off parries and just run around until they backwhack

by choosing a GUNNER class you accept that the only weapon you will be able to use is obviously a gun, if you wish to specialize in melee and weapons then play as a wookie, having a jedi with only a saber and then gunners with like both melee and ranged weapons would be extremely unfair new people already get decimated by melee gunners having knives would just turn gunner vs jedi into weaker jedi vs jedi everyone would be duelling saber or not because its way easier if they see a nearby gunner they would simply switch to knife and the gunner would do the same and they would duel the thing that makes jedi unique is that they're the only ones with a long range weapon and if you give other classes a melee weapon even a short range one you no longer make jedi unique and you also completely change the flow of the game if you make the knife undefendable then they will work similar to the stealth trooper on fa jedi temple, they'll just spam left click and live off parries and just run around until they backwhack

Actually what I wanted for knives is just put a knife in the punching animation.
A upgrade for punching. No animation move sets, just punching with a knife model in the hand.
Its kind of lazy but it wont force people to use grabs if they want damage or break the game. It would work like a small damage buff.

The empire team doesn't have a gameplay mechanic similar to wookie, where it can dual cast roles.
A mandalorian with a melee weapon is the only one that makes sense lore wise, because mandalorians always carried them.

In-fact they were also the only kind of people that would be on equal footing against Jedi. They trained in hand to hand combat and sword fighting. This is why the Mandalorian wars were always so catastrophic in the lore because they are Spartans in space. You can use all the bullshit space magic against them as much as you want. They will always stand back up and continue to fight. They adapted to the new ways of fighting while holding onto thier deep tradition and history.

A Mandalorian should be equal in terms of fighting a jedi because that's who they are. Dark horse did a very good representation of mandalorians and I think we should pull some ideas from them. MB2 represents them more as tricksters and assassins more so than warriors. But thats because the movies represented them as tricksters and assassins. I think them getting a melee weapon would spice the class up and not be as bland or boring as Supa described it. (the jetpacks are so good they could be a another game)

Their arsenal is almost entirely swords, like the wookies. Thier other weapons are rifles or pistols, and both of them were flushed out in kotor 1 and 2. However those models suck because of the lack of detail and I don't think we have them in MB2. We do have vibroblades and they hold the mb2 quality seal of approval, and we do have existing animation sets for them. They would be the easiest to implament. Balancing is another story but I think if people WORK TOGETHER instead of fighting and derailing we can probably not make them as over powered as possible rather than shelving and ignoring the possibility of a class that has a melee weapon that is not jedi/sith. We can hold civil discussions on balancing, I know we can. If we can come together when it comes to teaching people to play, we can come together on this.

Last edited:
So wookie melee is useless and should be removed then?
Along with grabs and punching?

Because all of those use the same mechanics of running behind somebody and hoping they don't notice.

Wookiee melee also plays around knocking down your opponents and using rage to combine high movement speed and damage reduction to approach enemies so that you don't get your face blasted off when you try to use melee.

That principle doesn't exactly work by simply giving a sword to a mando, and at a point where you have to implement extra features to justify a feature, you've gone past a line that shouldn't be crossed.

I'm still baffled as to how a class that can fly, has a perfectly accurate heavy rifle that combines with a quickscope able sniper rifle, as well as rapid-firing dual pistols with an incredibly strong charged shot + rockets, flamethrowers and wrist lasers is somehow a 'bland and a boring class that needs more choice' considering the build variety of i.e wookiees and soldiers.

A Mandalorian should be equal in terms of fighting a jedi because that's who they are.

It's the only class that can instantly KO a jedi by pressing two buttons.

Preston

Nerd
Wookiee melee also plays around knocking down your opponents and using rage to combine high movement speed and damage reduction to approach enemies so that you don't get your face blasted off when you try to use melee.

That principle doesn't exactly work by simply giving a sword to a mando, and at a point where you have to implement extra features to justify a feature, you've gone past a line that shouldn't be crossed.

I'm still baffled as to how a class that can fly, has a perfectly accurate heavy rifle that combines with a quickscope able sniper rifle, as well as rapid-firing dual pistols with an incredibly strong charged shot + rockets, flamethrowers and wrist lasers is somehow a 'bland and a boring class that needs more choice' considering the build variety of i.e wookiees and soldiers.

P3 to the face can ko a jedi with like 1 button. Or a td

That requires skill though.
But its not the only class.

You know that thing bugs out when you are too close to the ceiling or a wall right?
If you ment EE-3 sniper mode, yeah that instant kills but that requires skill. But the rocket is a gamble.

You either hit and kill, you miss and don't, you get a force push back into the face, or it hits the wall behind you or above you with a chance of killing you.

Last edited:
Yeah, what's up with that? Some builds ago they had it fixed so you'd just go into first person. But now we're back to visual clipping through maps again.
Annoying as hell.

Basically every map with narrow walls, low ceilings - commtower vents, I think lunarbase as well...what happened? There is an error in the code guys. Now Ace is gone so I take it Jorge must have taken his place in coding new bugs:)

Mandos and swords? Really? Meh.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Okay well what I gather here is that everybody agrees that a second jetpack option with a burst flight mode would be great. I don't care about regenerating fuel any more. Let's not have lengthy arguments about things that can get heated. Melee weapons probably won't be added to open mode, the only thing I could see maybe is Boss' idea of just a higher damage regular melee with some visual cosmetic.
What two buttons? Right click for scope and left for sniper? If you mean a rocket it's 1 button and a bad idea against a jedi. Flamer isn't instant. Or do you mean double sniping? That requires a lot of skill, same as all other close range sniping. It's not easy.

So now all I want at all for Mando is the second type of pack. That's it, I don't care about other stuff. It's too damn cool.

What about...jetpack skis?

The mando places the jetpack on his feet and surfs the ground.
And you know what? Why not allow the mando to activate jetpack while grappling someone in melee? Then he could just fly up and drop them.

:)

Thinking way back, there was a bug in base siege that I exploited as a mando. I forget the way of it but I remember once done, every time I'd hit jump my jp would temporarily activate. A brief burst that lasted 2 seconds. Not mb's double tap or hold to activate. Just one tap - burst jet.

that requires skill.

So would dueling a jedi with a vibroblade.

I think we can all agree that this game has enough swords to begin with and doesn't need any more of them.

So now all I want at all for Mando is the second type of pack.

How about an alternate jetpack that can be activated and deactivated without cooldowns, but after a set amount of fuel is spent, it'll require a longer cooldown period? Could be purchased for X amount of points when you've got at least one level of fuel. It'd allow for short burst maneuvering but it'd still have limited flight.

i suggested a few weeks ago about adding in another class special button potentially replacing an existing function when playing as a gunner class. For Mandalorians you could use it as a one button jetpack activation which I would love.

Also has anyone considered ground based Mandalorians? Something like the heavy gunners we see from KOTOR. Give them something like the T21 but with a charge shot mode. Maybe a better flamethrower if you don't have a jetpack as well.

When selecting points you've got your three fuel options, two levels of flamethrower one of which disables jetpack use but makes it stronger.

I also like the concept of a boost mode for jetpacks rather than just flying about.

EDIT: Also I like shotguns but I'm not sure if Mandalorians are the best class to give it to.

Also2: No more melee crap please. It's never effective enough until it becomes annoying as fuck. See force repulse and jump kicks for details.

Last edited:
So would dueling a jedi with a vibroblade.
So what's the problem?
The point is to not make it stupid easy and make the class more versatile play-style wise and fun.

EDIT: Also I like shotguns but I'm not sure if Mandalorians are the best class to give it to.
Last I heard of shotguns, is that ET/CMDR was going to get them for some reson.
Not that im complaining, just confused why the ET.

Last edited:

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
How about an alternate jetpack that can be activated and deactivated without cooldowns, but after a set amount of fuel is spent, it'll require a longer cooldown period? Could be purchased for X amount of points when you've got at least one level of fuel. It'd allow for short burst maneuvering but it'd still have limited flight.
That sounds like an older version of the regular jetpack that just cools down. I think that the jump pack sounds more unique. I imagine it kind of blasting off like a rocket. Great speed and momentum that is not very controllable after launch, it requires the aim for it before you activate.

Also had a though of jetpack back burners setting people on fire.... but that would have too much TK, even though it'd be hilarious.