Mando Love

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
We all know the Mando needs a bit of love. While I am aware they are getting some form of love soon I've just had this idea for a while.

Jetpack Fuel Rework
All Mandos now spawn in with a full tank of fuel by default. The difference here is the tank is now smaller and can only support one full length flight.(What I mean by that is flying until the auto shut off) The Jetpack Fuel points now determine the speed at which fuel is regenerated. I imagine it a bit like Stamina, but much slower. No points in Fuel have either extremely slow or no regeneration. Increasing levels speeds up the process. No clue on exact numbers but maybe something like at level 3 it regens at 150% of the time it takes for a complete flight. In my eyes this could encourage more airborne stunts by players and let them be less conservative with the precious guzzoline. It also opens up new avenues for builds by making Fuel 3 not so essential.

Sniper EE-3 Change
Have the Sniper upgrade for the EE-3 use separate ammo than the main gun. Either that or make it not use as much per shot while still requiring reload.

Wrist Laser Change
Shorten, not remove, that god awful delay before firing so it is a viable choice over the flame thrower.

Upgradeable Gauntlet
Maybe add some points that let the wrist gauntlet perform wall clings. Think of Jango's spikes on Kamino.

Those were my ideas but I read some others, can't remember by whom, that I really liked.
Jetpack activation when knocked down as a fast getup. You even see Jango do it on Kamino. Would have to be like a burst though and not controllable, subject to cooldowns.
Whipcord on wrist gauntlet. Used probably like Grip but no damage?

Put in dark saber as a melee weapon. Not really though. Pre Viszla was a douche.

The ledge grab is the only thing I would consider viable, but I don't think mandos should get that and should be given to ARC instead.
Wall climbing would be a very good addition to that class.

Mandalorians used to have the projectile rifle, the reason why sniper mode shares the same ammo with the main weapon is that high ledge camping mandos don't have ammo for days. They will eventually run out and be forced to do something.

What I would do for the wrist laser is to remove it from the skill section and make it a weapon, and turn it into a regular pistol that can't be pulled from you. And eliminate the heavy fp damage it does. So its just a regular gun but super glued to the mandalorian.

I would like a little more fuel for jetpacks though, its very easy to waste half of your fuel in the first 30 seconds.
And the fast recovery Preston brought up a lot would also be welcome.

Last edited:
I am ok with the idea of fuel regeneration as long as it is very slow. I mean like level 3 = stam 1 regen, and hear me out. The jet pack not only allows you to fly but it is also a faster mode of travel than stamina, and well again you can fly. The only reason that mando isn't stupidly op is that eventually they run out of fuel, but a very slow regen wouldn't imo break this because it would take so long for it to come back. ALSO you have to be able to cancel the jet pack mid flight for the OP it sounded like you wanted to eliminate that option and that just can happen because you take away the versatility of mando movement.

However I think mando is very balanced as is and think it really doesnt need any changes except maybe the delay on wrist blaster.

I like the Jet pack fuel one. Makes it seem more arcade-y which I think is fine, and would even make it more fun to play.

Sonichu

Donator
This is obviously dependent on a model change, but I'd love to see Mando's have a choice between the two jetpacks in AOTC. The classic Boba style would have extended flight times, shorter recharge between activation and a weaker rocket. The heavy duty version would be the opposite with inferior efficiency but a larger splash damage rocket.

I'd also like to see the wrist laser moved to the secondary function of dual Westars. There currently isn't a gameplay reason to fire a single blaster and this would make it more functional but still allow a Jedi to disable it. I would replace the wrist laser option with a short bladed weapon that in function just blue style with lower damage and no deflection ability. Just something to allow them to engage in melee a la Pre Vizsla, albeit to a much lesser degree.

Wall grab is fun, but it seems better suited to ARC Troopers and wouldn't offer anything to Mando.

This is obviously dependent on a model change, but I'd love to see Mando's have a choice between the two jetpacks in AOTC. The classic Boba style would have extended flight times, shorter recharge between activation and a weaker rocket. The heavy duty version would be the opposite with inferior efficiency but a larger splash damage rocket.

I'd also like to see the wrist laser moved to the secondary function of dual Westars. There currently isn't a gameplay reason to fire a single blaster and this would make it more functional but still allow a Jedi to disable it. I would replace the wrist laser option with a short bladed weapon that in function just blue style with lower damage and no deflection ability. Just something to allow them to engage in melee a la Pre Vizsla, albeit to a much lesser degree.

Wall grab is fun, but it seems better suited to ARC Troopers and wouldn't offer anything to Mando.
Why would you give a wall grab to ARC even if we never really saw it in the movie but people like Jango Fett used it to keep themselfs from falling down. I could imagine a scenario where you're flying as a Mandalorian but where you re fuel is almost empty and you'll get the chance to wall grab to reduce fall damage or prevent from falling down in the gen.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
I am ok with the idea of fuel regeneration as long as it is very slow. I mean like level 3 = stam 1 regen, and hear me out. The jet pack not only allows you to fly but it is also a faster mode of travel than stamina, and well again you can fly. The only reason that mando isn't stupidly op is that eventually they run out of fuel, but a very slow regen wouldn't imo break this because it would take so long for it to come back. ALSO you have to be able to cancel the jet pack mid flight for the OP it sounded like you wanted to eliminate that option and that just can happen because you take away the versatility of mando movement.

However I think mando is very balanced as is and think it really doesnt need any changes except maybe the delay on wrist blaster.
I didn't mean that you can't turn it off. I was saying that a full tank would be empty after a full length flight.

In my opinion, the playstyle is too conservative. I think my idea would help alleviate that by encouraging more, shorter flights. That super long one would be basically be all or nothing. So a full flight is 15 seconds?(Unsure never timed it) Say you have fuel level 3, the full tank recharge would be 23 seconds. You just need to think it can't be too long because we only have 5 minute rounds.

I don't get what two rocket holding jetpacks you're referring to. All I can think of is the regular style Jango first has, and Boba has, and then style with no rocket at all. I would only really like to see that smaller one, the one you can see clones use, go on a mando with no rocket.

But why not a wall cling? Buy the gauntlet upgrade, go fly over to a vantage point, turn off pack and grab. Now you can wait and drop down for an ambush. It can even be like Jedi and stop the fuel recharge while holding on. Or like Bossk says, use it to slow down falls and mitigate fall damage.

Melee weapons are cool but I don't see how they could really work well in Open.

Mando is my second most played class. Actually it may currently be my most played class because I always pick mando when I go imps, and I almost always have to go imps whenever I play. I dunno why people flock to rebs these days.

Anyway, mandos are fine. They definitely don't need recharging fuel. Part of playing mando is conserving your fuel during a round and it's also a part of balancing the easiest way of traversing maps, let alone escaping almost any situation as long as you do it pre-emptively.
It would however be nice to see mandos get some perk from not having a jetpack at all to promote some variety to the class. Not all mandos had jetpacks!

Sniper change? No, keep the gun as it is. Conserving ammo is a vital part of play for every class (except deka and jedi) and if you don't get to make use of most of your sniper shots, you've earned yourself an empty ammo pool.

Wrist laser could be a bit easier to fire. I do kinda like how it is demanding, but it'd be nice to see it used as often as flamethrower.

Gauntlet is a cool idea but I'd rather have it given to a class that doesn't have mando's ability for easy versatile travel, let alone as much versatility as mandos already have.

This game has enough gunners with fast get-ups and mandos who are some of the strongest, if not the strongest class against jedi definitely doesn't need another edge against them, no matter how limited cooldowns and stuff are.
Same goes for all kinds of cords for tying people up.

The only thing mandos need is fixing all the input bugs and having a larger variety of voice files for different classes. Also, rockets should have the same randomized ignite time ARC rockets have. Afaik mando rockets always ignite over a specific time, while mando rockets vary between 1, 2 and 3 seconds. I could be wrong though, maybe I'm just so used to pushing the rockets that I no longer notice the randomized ignition time.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Anyway, mandos are fine. They definitely don't need recharging fuel. Part of playing mando is conserving your fuel during a round and it's also a part of balancing the easiest way of traversing maps, let alone escaping almost any situation as long as you do it pre-emptively.
It would however be nice to see mandos get some perk from not having a jetpack at all to promote some variety to the class. Not all mandos had jetpacks!
Honestly I just want to see more daring flight maneuvers. I think encouraging the use of more short flights is good. This could also help poor no point mandos so they have a little bit of gas to use, but what else could you do with no jetpack? I can't think of anything that would be a viable option over it. You have an idea?
The only thing mandos need is fixing all the input bugs and having a larger variety of voice files for different classes..
This part confuses me. What do you mean?

Sonichu

Donator
I didn't mean that you can't turn it off. I was saying that a full tank would be empty after a full length flight.

I don't get what two rocket holding jetpacks you're referring to. All I can think of is the regular style Jango first has, and Boba has, and then style with no rocket at all. I would only really like to see that smaller one, the one you can see clones use, go on a mando with no rocket.

The classic

Jango-Fett-star-wars.jpg

The heavy duty jetpack he has in the arena.
3SwDN.png

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
The classic

The heavy duty jetpack he has in the arena.

But that second jetpack is not a heavy duty version. It's the light version that can't hold a rocket. It's just like the ones the clone troopers used.

Edit: Okay I actually looked it up and apparently that little bump is a rocket, even though you never ever see it fired. The tiny rocket on there is the same type that comes from the wrist launcher. So maybe your ideas should be flip flopped. The Boba style, Z-6 jetpack, is bigger rocket splash, and the JT-12 smaller one has longer flight times.

Last edited:
Why would you give a wall grab to ARC even if we never really saw it in the movie but people like Jango Fett used it to keep themselfs from falling down. I could imagine a scenario where you're flying as a Mandalorian but where you re fuel is almost empty and you'll get the chance to wall grab to reduce fall damage or prevent from falling down in the gen.

The wall-grab would be more suited to ARC so it can has more mobility potential. The mandalorian can be at any spot on the map, because he has a jetpack. He can get to places most other players cant, unless they have Jump 3. He can hide and switch to snipe mode, and hold down a whole area by himself if he was good enough.

The rebel team does not have a class that can provide overwatch to an area like a mandolorian can, and certainly not as versatile.
If the arc could do some basic platforming and was able to grab ledges and get on top of stuff, it can fill that role the rebel team has.
He can hide in a high up spot, switch to sniper mode on his weapon and cover an area.

The classic, and the heavy duty jetpack he has in the arena.
That is a clone trooper jump pack. He has Boba put a spare in his ship while he was instructed to pack his things.

I do agree with this partly I think classes should get multiple movement options/methods that can change how they deal with enemies/are dealt with

Sonichu

Donator
But that second jetpack is not a heavy duty version. It's the light version that can't hold a rocket. It's just like the ones the clone troopers used.

Edit: Okay I actually looked it up and apparently that little bump is a rocket, even though you never ever see it fired. The tiny rocket on there is the same type that comes from the wrist launcher. So maybe your ideas should be flip flopped. The Boba style, Z-6 jetpack, is bigger rocket splash, and the JT-12 smaller one has longer flight times.

According to Wookieepedia, you are correct - it is a lighter version, but it does have a working rocket. JT-12 jetpack
I guess flip my previous descriptions between the two.

Only if we get dual bowcasters and mini guns
Granted

In all serious though, the mandalorian weapons are almost all swords.
Like unless you guys are willing to dive into kotor stuff for guns, we are kinda stuck with the EE-3 and westars.