Manda Wrist Laser Suggestions

Smee

Banned
The wrist laser is quite useful in open at draining FP off Jedi. The removal of the aim delay (last?) build really improved it.
However, compared to the flamethrower it is arguably still not nearly as good. The main reason for this is the fact that, after 4 rapid shots, the wrist laser breaks. This means that really, one can only shoot 3 times in quick succession without having it break. No other weapon (to my knowledge) breaks if you fire its shots too quickly.

The purpose of it breaking is clear:to stop it being OP verses Jedi. However, I think it goes too far. I have three alternative suggestions:

A: Replace the laser breaking with a delay of, perhaps 30 seconds, if you fire its shots too quickly.
This would still achieve the purpose of stopping it being OP. Realistically, wrist laser is usually used at close-medium range anyway (because of the scarcity of shots). A 30 second delay at this range would probably end the manda's life.

B:Remove the breaking mechanic but reduce the shot limit to 2 (or 3). Shots would recharge at the normal rate.

C:Reintroduce the delay when shooting from previous builds but stop it breaking after 4 shots.

A and C are bad ideas, B is fine

tbh i just want to be able to fire it while on the ground lol, been saying that for ages

Sammy

Master of Whispers
Donator
Also could it's weird 'shoot to the side' mechanic be looked at? Shouldn't it be accurate?

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
It's accurate to the Melee crosshair, I think, except at very close ranges. Since it fires from the left hand. I don't remember if it fires like a left-hand Westar (eye-level) or more like a mirrored E-11 (stomach-ish level). Anyway, wanting an accurate crosshair for the Wrist Blaster is like wanting an accurate crosshair for the left hand dual pistol. You would need a whole second crosshair. It would be nice, but it's probably really hard to code. Or something.

The Wrist Blaster breaks when firing the last shot because that last shot constitutes something of an "extra" shot, that you can optionally use. The problem is that it's hard to keep track of when you're out of shots. I've suggested a couple times that there should be a little beep each time a shot reloads, and that there should be a warning beep when you fire your second-to-last shot.

Fun fact: You can fire the wrist blaster in the middle of any Melee attack. This implies an interesting punchblaster Mando build for dueling Jedi at close quarters from Melee mode. You could use Flamethrower to poke them and then if they rush at you you use kicks and wrist blaster to knock down or punish. Also, it's possible that the crouch you do in Melee is significantly lower than the crouch with guns, especially if you look downwards, so that could be used to duck under wide swings in a melee-centric anti-Jedi build.

Crouch + Look Down in Melee makes you a VERY small target in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, and it's a very fun game to roam around as an ornery punchyman who dances around the enemy's swings. I'm not sure if it's as viable here since the swings are faster, but I haven't messed with it that much, aside from becoming fairly good at circling around enemy swings as a gunner.

To stop it from being op just decrease its damage. Afaik, it does more damage than P3 atm. But the thing is, P3 got nerfed, so why won't we nerf the wrist laser as well?

Last edited:

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
If you got rid of the "extra shot, but it explodes" aspect and reduced the damage, it would just be a slightly easier to use but objectively worse weapon. The only reason why anyone complains about the fact that you can "overcharge" the wrist blaster is because they don't MEAN to use that extra shot, and this problem is fully resolved by adding sound cues. I don't know why nobody has ever acknowledged this suggestion. :[

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Why have it break completely though? Why not just remove the "extra" shot and have a cool down like many other abilities in the game? Oh no, you shot it too fast and it overheated! It needs 30 seconds to cool off before it recharges it's shots! That's a long ass time in a 5 minute match but at least the weapon isn't gone. And add more vambrace gadgets...... :)

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
I feel like you're missing the subtlety of my "rephrasing" of the "breaking" feature. As in: Yes, because of how it's presented right now, everyone including myself sees it as "the gun will break if you lose track of your shots and spam it." I see it this way too.

But the exact same functionality can be described as an ability to deliberately overcharge your weapon for the sake of an extra shot. And the only reason why people don't see it this way (including myself) is because it's hard to keep track of your shots.

So by saying "why not make it punish you less" you're still seeing it as a "punishing" feature, and overlooking the fact that, with good enough feedback, it would appear completely as an "extra shot" feature rather than a "punishment" feature. People would almost NEVER accidentally use their extra shot if, when you fired the second-to-last shot, there was a little high-pitched warning triple-beep sound. (and every reload would have a little warm beep, and the last reload for full would have a warm double beep)

That being said, given the total dev silence on the many times I've tried to point this out, either I'm really explaining this wrong, or the devs really want it to be a "punish" feature instead.

(That being said 2x combo: On second thought, you may have essentially gotten my point and STILL meant "why not have the overcharge/extra-shot just overheat the weapon for a while instead of killing it." Which is valid, to me. Either way would work.)

Hexodious

Movie Battles II Team
I like option B in the OP but I'd also like to see the damage more in line with P3, however as a bonus I'd let the Mandalorian use the Wrist Blaster while on the floor as a last defence tool/trick.
Kanan Jarrus said:
History lesson: the Jedi won the war with Mandalore! These tricks will amount to something, maybe save you from time-to-time, but they won't keep you alive in the long run. Only training and discipline will do that.

Being able to shoot at targets from the floor will be an option, but won't always save you. Also acts as a nice way to provide ground options (Dex for Arcs, Siderolls for Hero/BH) on a single life class without resorting to another roll mechanic. It is also a clear advantage to have over other tools you can select.

Smee

Banned
I like option B in the OP but I'd also like to see the damage more in line with P3, however as a bonus I'd let the Mandalorian use the Wrist Blaster while on the floor as a last defence tool/trick.

Being able to shoot at targets from the floor will be an option, but won't always save you. Also acts as a nice way to provide ground options (Dex for Arcs, Siderolls for Hero/BH) on a single life class without resorting to another roll mechanic. It is also a clear advantage to have over other tools you can select.

Out of interest what is the damage and force damage the wrist laser currently does? It doesn't say in the ingame library.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Someone might be able to give a more confident/accurate answer than this, but from what I fuzzily remember of testing it one time, it seemed to have a base damage of around 46, and deal 20 FP drain. Not sure if the 20 drain was regardless of range or if it has the same IDR scaling as any other weapon.

Someone might be able to give a more confident/accurate answer than this, but from what I fuzzily remember of testing it one time, it seemed to have a base damage of around 46, and deal 20 FP drain. Not sure if the 20 drain was regardless of range or if it has the same IDR scaling as any other weapon.
I tested this stuff with Tempest not too long ago. The base damage was 50, leg damage was 24, headshot damage was 100, and fp damage was about 20.

Last edited:
4 shots, but the 4th shots breaks it. I think it would be better if it only broke when trying to shoot MORE than what it supports. You can shoot 4 times, try to shoot 5 and it goes boom(without shooting). I just find it weird to have it shoot 4 times but explodes on the 4th.

I mean, if the 4th shot is supposed to be an extra shot, then it'd make more sense for the display to reflect that instead of saying 'hey you got 4 shots', which can be misleading to some players.

I may be a newcomer in this game, but I played it quite a while as a mandalorian and in my opinion wrist blaster is just fine now, perhaps it's because I don't spam it like crazy, actually I never got it exploded in combat, only while playing around. It's a great idea to have sounds that would indicate blaster's status, as it's uncomfortable to look at the right bottom corner while fighting a damn jedi (hate these bastards).

Also, I haven't used flamethrower that much, but to me it's less effective, it's like you land a shot with the wrist blaster in a jedi - consider him ded. And can someone please tell me, is the burning effect from the flamethrower random or it depends on something? Because i tried to set a clone on fire and it wasn't a good experience.)
P.S. English is not my native language