Low Playerbase

Why is the community slowly dying? Some time ago, the playerbase was huge, servers were full and the game had a highly positive reputation. It's just sad to see that MBII's playerbase is declining.

LoU

R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Strange, we have more players online than we had last year. Anyway, spread the word, show people this awesome game, advertise, that should do it.

To be honest i can make few wild guesses why it is like that:
1.Now days only handful of people play games like JKIIJO or JKIIIJA. I mean, yea comunities holds themselves in good condition and are still active but ask some of today's gamers if they still play Jedi knight series. From those i meet, who play JA or JO noone knews about MBII. Most star wars gamers either play battlefront(old and new)or the the old republic mmo, only few like i said play older titles.
2.As much i love this mod, there is statement i must make: "Toxic community". Since i started playeing MBII this wonderfull but troll'ish community is one of few noticable MBII marks. New players are (if they are unlucky) decimaited by "death squadrons" of trolls and "LoL, YOLO, SWAG, noobz, iamprogamer etc." people(Luckly people like this are rare).
3.Difficult to get game system. I myself dont have anything to system and changes you did in mod guys, they're good making you require skill rater than luck most of the time but for most of jka players who entered the game its complex and hard to get, also have on mind most of new players DOSENT read and guide so they storm in as a jedis thinking they are invicible. Giving saber system in mod and few blade masters who on enemy team...well you know what will happen.
4.And last guess i can think of is, like Master LoU suggested is low or rather lack of advertising. I've never heard about mod until i seeked through moddb.com deeps for good Knight of the force mod replacement.
Well those are my statments about are dear Coke-kun's question. These are just my wild guesses, so you dont have to take them serious.

P.S I'm too lazy to correct myself, so you have to survive torture my post made to your's eyes :p

Cat Lady

TBH i see it exactly otherwise - more and more players, and most of the ones that stay are behaving (more or less) maturely... Well, at least higher percent of them than years ago. But, maybe it is just because i avoid servers with dotf on open ;)

To be honest i can make few wild guesses why it is like that:
1.Now days only handful of people play games like JKIIJO or JKIIIJA. I mean, yea comunities holds themselves in good condition and are still active but ask some of today's gamers if they still play Jedi knight series. From those i meet, who play JA or JO noone knews about MBII. Most star wars gamers either play battlefront(old and new)or the the old republic mmo, only few like i said play older titles.
2.As much i love this mod, there is statement i must make: "Toxic community". Since i started playeing MBII this wonderfull but troll'ish community is one of few noticable MBII marks. New players are (if they are unlucky) decimaited by "death squadrons" of trolls and "LoL, YOLO, SWAG, noobz, iamprogamer etc." people(Luckly people like this are rare).
3.Difficult to get game system. I myself dont have anything to system and changes you did in mod guys, they're good making you require skill rater than luck most of the time but for most of jka players who entered the game its complex and hard to get, also have on mind most of new players DOSENT read and guide so they storm in as a jedis thinking they are invicible. Giving saber system in mod and few blade masters who on enemy team...well you know what will happen.
4.And last guess i can think of is, like Master LoU suggested is low or rather lack of advertising. I've never heard about mod until i seeked through moddb.com deeps for good Knight of the force mod replacement.
Well those are my statments about are dear Coke-kun's question. These are just my wild guesses, so you dont have to take them serious.

P.S I'm too lazy to correct myself, so you have to survive torture my post made to your's eyes :p
Well, if people play more KOTOR and Battlefront, why don't they play Jedi Academy? Not that i hate battlefront, but the lack of effort on the saber system is pretty high not to mention the repetitive classes and weapons. KOTOR for me has alot of content, like a gigantic brick of content, but it feels slow-paced and boring at times. Meanwhile the Jedi knight series offers you weapons, a bunch of force powers, a forever lasting multiplayer and FAST-PACE ACTION, but to make it way better, why not a little dip of MBII Sauce? MBII is like an advanced Jedi Academy, with a glorious saber system, variation on choice of abillities, tons of different modes, easier modding just for an extra +1 and much more! Well, that's what i think about the case.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Server List
"Most players online were 142 on 8th of November 2015."

I wouldn't say we're doing too bad. Today I refreshed to a serverlist with almost 3 nearly full 32-man servers. Worth noting that this serverlist has been up for some years now.

In my 10 years of MB2, that is probably the biggest I've ever seen it.

Sounds questionable:)

Only things that can be done:

Advertise on other forums/blogs/sites with parallel interests.
Youtube vids - spam harder.
Ride the new SW wave.

Or, some actual effort, print out some t-shirts with the site and logo. Hire some strippers to pass out fliers in the city. Sex appeals. Fu'r mindtrix.

Sounds questionable:)

Only things that can be done:

Advertise on other forums/blogs/sites with parallel interests.
Youtube vids - spam harder.
Ride the new SW wave.

Or, some actual effort, print out some t-shirts with the site and logo. Hire some strippers to pass out fliers in the city. Sex appeals. Fu'r mindtrix.
MBII Sex toys maybe?

I think it's a combination of things.

1) Even though MB2 does get updated, JKA is an old game. Most of us came from there as this is a mod for it. It is rare you see a PC game, that is over ten years old, still keep going, in terms of online multilayer and I think Revan/Lucasarts deserve credit to keep the servers going for this long.

The fact is that MB2 has more players than the official game, JKA. You never, ever see a mod out-do the game. So in that respect, MB2 is doing very well and the devs, map-makers, etc deserve credit.

2) That crap that happened with the master server and the forums, when it went offline, certainly did not help. Before that MB2 had the highest player base I've ever seen it to be.

3) The competitive nature of the game scares new players away, I think anyway. I always see new people come on servers and obviously do awful, they have no idea what the hell they're doing and get absolutely mullered. I never see them again. It takes a long time to understand the ins and outs of every class and game mechanics. I'm not saying this is a bad thing but new people need to be able to understand the game better and quicker than they do.

4) I think there needs to be a better tutorial when new people join. Yes you've got the Library, but that doesn't tell you half what you need to know and people don't even realise it's there! Everyone here learned by playing the game for years and staying with it, and by word and mouth. Casual players just don't have the time for that. That is where your players base is. Yes you need to be sweet to both hardcore and casual players and you can do both without dumbing down the game easily by having a tutorial.

Obviously I'm not talking about an in-game client side tutorial where NPCs run around and tell you what to do.

5) Advertising. Maybe this should be higher up the list. People wont join if they don't know it exists. It's as simple as that. There are a lot of Star Wars fans out there that would love to play this game if they knew about it. Heck even a post on the SWGEMU forums would bring a ton of players in.

Just my two cents

Last edited:

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I feel like it was, for the most part, SXX's destruction of launcher and server list that brought a short term drop. I feel like the population is back to where it was, or at least slowly inclining.

Submit a video to machinma, or get an article on pc gamer or something and we will get our population back.
Pc gamer did an article on my dead mod (Empires) way back, im sure we can get one on movie battles.

Reactions: LoU

Pahricida

We did get featured in PC Gamer UK before and it did get us many new players.
But that was 10 years ago so our best bet today would be getting mentioned by a famous streamer or youtuber. Like if AVGN would even mention this mod I'm sure it would have a noticable impact. Or someone who's relevant to kids nowadays I don't keep track anymore.

my dead mod (Empires)
You were part of that Empires mod? I always wanted to play that but when I finally got the chance that and pretty much every other multiplayer HL2 mod were already deserted.

Last edited:
You were part of that Empires mod? I always wanted to play that but when I finally got the chance that and pretty much every other multiplayer HL2 mod were already deserted.

Half-Life 2 Empires mod adds new maps, models, interface improvements
It's not that recent but we got our article, so im sure if somebody tries to contact them about us and a mention of thier uk branches article.
We could get it, its starwars related so it will give them views so its not entirely a waste of their time.

If you want to play empires, go to their forum and just look for pug announcements.
There was a 40 man game over the weekend, but I don't think its worth your time.

I say we take advantage over the fact battle front EA is complete garbage and promote our core game Outcast and Academy for having real light saber combat seeing as battlefronts is just whacking each other with sticks. That should get us atleast 50 people if not more.

Last edited:
Advertisement could help for sure. I myself hate that I found out about mb2 so late, I started my nerding with JK2 and JKA in 2006, and heard about mb2 only in 2010 (and started to play just in 2011 cause I failed at installing for the 1st time and it took some time for me to try again). I lost the chance to no-life even more with this amazing mod. Though base duel/CTF/FFA, JA+, lugormod, makermod whatever I played before mb2 weren't too bad either, but I stopped playing all of them once mb2 absorbed me, so…there could still be some other JKA/JO players waiting out there to find out about mb2.

@Frank: I disagree that there's no help/guide for new players. When I started playing I read through every page on the mb2 wiki and gained great knowledge in short time. I also read guides on forums, watched youtube videos. I found out while playing that I knew game facts on my 1st week that many older players didn't know about, like that you can detonate pulse rockets midair with secondary fire. I think the current in game library has even more data than the wiki had. It's up to the player's enthusiasm to learn the features, there's many data to study out there. However I agree that duelling is hard to grasp as a beginner, even if you read many guides about it. And even if you learned everything about duelling, still you will be rekt by the veterans, and this may discourage some people.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Let's just stay under the radar well enough so disney doesn't get any funky ideas:D (I guess they wouldn't like the use of taunts taken from everywhere)