Low Playerbase

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
No im josh.
If you go to that forum I talked about you can also see I have the same login there as I do here.

Also who the fuck is roy?

RoyAwesome, who apparently also worked on Empires and is someone I met on PlanetSide.

RoyAwesome, who apparently also worked on Empires and is someone I met on PlanetSide.

Oh I know Roy, hes alright.
I don't talk to him but I know who he is.

All I did was act as a messenger for the team, and councilor for the art people.
I quit around when candles stopped coding, and gave into angry fuck boi's on the internet who screech about balance 24/7.

Annnnnywaaaay, I am going to talk to a few of my people to ask how I would go about requesting a interview or an article. Anything can't hurt. I will PM the designated person who handles this stuff if I get anything.

Last edited:
Are we talking quantity or quality here? Decent/longtime players leaving is Sisi's fault I guess. Casuals joining in... is Sisi's fault I guess.

LoU

R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Are we talking quantity or quality here? Decent/longtime players leaving is Sisi's fault I guess. Casuals joining in... is Sisi's fault I guess.
Blame whole team then. Not single coder who is told what to code ;)

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Well, I cannot agree community is dying; started to play in 2007, I never thought game would make it this far, mod would be still supported by developers and you could even not be able to play on some server with reason "server is full" :)

But if we say that playerbase is low, there are some reasons:

1. Game is old. Most people plays only new stuff, they expect next-gen graphics, bells and whistles etc. mb2 doesn't brings visual effects of Skyrim or Crysis, so lot of gamers won't ever bother.
2. Lack of advertisement. No, really, how we gonna fight some game which has a banner on youtube, some game that is sequel of some legendary series, or just some game that pushed by dollar spam of huge corporation?
3. Complexity. Game system is not easy to learn, no easy to use that you already learned. But I'm not even sure that complexity actually lowers popularity of Movie Battles, since some people quit because it too difficult, but at same time some people still playing just because it's challenge. Being complex is price for not being primitive.

Preston

Nerd
Well, I cannot agree community is dying; started to play in 2007, I never thought game would make it this far, mod would be still supported by developers and you could even not be able to play on some server with reason "server is full" :)

But if we say that playerbase is low, there are some reasons:

1. Game is old. Most people plays only new stuff, they expect next-gen graphics, bells and whistles etc. mb2 doesn't brings visual effects of Skyrim or Crysis, so lot of gamers won't ever bother.
2. Lack of advertisement. No, really, how we gonna fight some game which has a banner on youtube, some game that is sequel of some legendary series, or just some game that pushed by dollar spam of huge corporation?
3. Complexity. Game system is not easy to learn, no easy to use that you already learned. But I'm not even sure that complexity actually lowers popularity of Movie Battles, since some people quit because it too difficult, but at same time some people still playing just because it's challenge. Being complex is price for not being primitive.
Complexity is fine, I dont think complexity itself drives players away. I think the lack of tutorials does. And yes I know there is the library, and guides on these forums. But thats the problem, they are on these forums, but not in the game. If the "my first day in mbII" and the dueling compendium were in the library in game somehow, I think that would add alot of knoledge into the game that new players just dont know about. Most players dont check the forums for guides on how to play the game

Lindsey

Movie Battles II Team
Just spitting out my 2 cents:

Honestly the easiest and quickest way would be to record some tutorials in game, maybe on the practice map.

Each video would only need to be a few minutes long, to showcase the basic skills and tactics by each class (say maybe 3 minutes or less each).

Class Intro
Notable abilities
The role in the game (countering a class, acting as support, etc etc)
Tactics when facing other classes (gunners would all have "Walk when facing Push Jedi" as a base tactic :p)
Showcase (throw in some clips of good players using said class)

Obviously some classes (like Jedi/Sith) would require a more indepth and possibly longer video but it would go a long way to getting new players eased into the game (plus its far easier to watch youtube videos than ingame tutorials, unless the videos can be embedded in the mod like the intro Lucasarts cutscenes, etc).

Movie Battles II Server List
"Most players online were 142 on 8th of November 2015."

I wouldn't say we're doing too bad. Today I refreshed to a serverlist with almost 3 nearly full 32-man servers. Worth noting that this serverlist has been up for some years now.

In my 10 years of MB2, that is probably the biggest I've ever seen it.

WOOKIEE SPREAD WORD IF MAKE WOOKIEE ABLE TO ATTACK CROUCHING RED SABRE SITHS.
SORRY WOOKIEE NO KNOW HOW TO TECHNOLOGYI-ING-RING CAN'T TURN OFF BIG WORDS>>>

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Considering that Jedi Academy is almost 13 years old, and that Movie Battles is almost 12 years old, the fact we even have a player base is pretty impressive. You also have to take in to account that it's the end of the year, which means that people are finishing off work so they can get some well deserved time off, students are finishing their semester finals before the winter break and people are traveling to be with family.

179 people online today, 169 currently online

2 nearly full servers EU and NA, EU and NA both have more than 10 player populated dueling servers

FA server at 12 people, official US 14

this is the most populated ive seen the game since i started playing in 2008

Strike while the metal is hot.

Spend money on billboards in every major metropolitan city advertising mb2. Start printing fliers and t-shirts as well as hiring pole-dancers to hand out fliers and pose for pictures in front of movie theaters packed with costumed fools:)

The time is now. Let this opportunity pass then may the Gods take pity and strike you down.