JKA.io server hosting

Caelum

Donator
Hey guys,

@LoU mentioned I could post an ad here, huge thanks to him :)

So I run a JKA server hosting business at www.JKA.io. It's been around for many years, and we currently host 50ish JKA servers. We host servers across pretty much every mod, including the vast majority of popular JA+ servers.

Some of the reasons to throw us your money:
  • Better DDoS protection than you'll find with any other provider. Unlike all other providers - even those advertising DDoS mitigation - our filtering can withstand both complex getstatus, getchallenge & getinfo floods, and attacks over typically low filtering limits like 10-40 Gbps. We've withstood DNS amplification attacks of ~100 Gbps, JKA get* floods of 1.5 million PPS, and much more. If you have DDoS issues, I promise we can solve them. We've never had to drop a customer because they were subject to DDoS attacks. We achieve that through a custom DDoS mitigation solution we maintain in-house.
  • OpenJK out of the box - meaning fewer crashes and more stable gameplay. Also, all of that warm fuzzy open source goodness. We maintain our own OpenJK fork that contains exploit fixes even over regular OpenJK.
  • Anti VPN - a free optional add-on that blocks common VPN IPs from connecting to your server. Ask us to enable it if you're interested. Not foolproof, but makes it harder for people to come back after being banned.
  • Automatic MBII updates. You don't need to do anything if a new version is released, we'll update it for you.
  • 60 day money back guarantee. No strings attached.

There is full support for rtv/rtm for free if you want it, and obviously everyone gets their own IP & port 29070. We've got both North American and European locations, and both of our staff members have been hosting both websites and JKA servers for years now, so we're pretty competent. Our hosting is modern, and more fine-tuned for JKA than basically any big corporate business out there.

I wouldn't ordinarily mention them, but we also provide some of the following features other providers advertise, like:
  • High CPU priority. Our servers are not oversold, and there is very little benefit to high CPU priority, but nonetheless, our servers do all run on high CPU priority, on dedicated hardware. No VPSes here.
  • FTP access, to upload your own mods, .pk3 files, and so forth.
  • Automatic daily backups
  • Easy ways to restart your server, such as a "delete_me_to_restart" file in FTP, which other providers have since copied.
  • Bruteforce protection
  • The ability to easily change mods
  • Auto-restart scripts for both JKA servers and rtv/rtm
Happy to answer any questions if you like :)

If that wasn't convincing, here is a turtle eating a strawberry:

4qIugh2.jpg

(Or PM me or email [email protected] if you want to get in touch. Or, you know, post below.)​

Last edited:

LoU

R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Good AntiDDoS strategy on software layer +1.

Best possible option of getting server if you don't know how to setup your own VPS/Cloud/Dedicated machine.

Caelum

Donator
@Gnome Yes. Exactly. :p

Go fill in the order form and I'll have something up for you within a couple of hours. If you do it now, I'll get it up before I go to bed.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
I would suggest adding a specific IP for each location on the tech page so people can get some idea of latency.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Any chance you could ever expand to North America West Coast? :D

Caelum

Donator
I would suggest adding a specific IP for each location on the tech page so people can get some idea of latency.
Will probably do in future. In the meantime though, you can open cmd.exe (presuming you're on Windows) and type in:
  • ping mothership.caelish.com for EU. Add ~5-10ms overhead for JKA to the ping you get and you get the ping you'll have in game
  • ping basestar.caelish.com for NA, same thing.
Any chance you could ever expand to North America West Coast? :D
Maybe if my datacenter provider ever sets up a location there or I find another that meets all my needs. My hands are kind of tied in that very few providers do all the things I need without charging thousands.
I'd like to, but it's not something I'm planning in the near future at least.

Last edited:

Cat Lady

Thank you for writing such professional introduction! It is refreshing to see offer where host is clearly knowing what he is doing. Definitely marking this thread for future.

Caelum

Donator
As long as one of those names isn't BFS...:)
Definitely not, that would be horrifying :p they mostly include such creative things as "Caelum's hosting" and "oh god I can't think of a name but I host stuff." Also there was a brief stretch of "Big Truck", but that was mostly a webhosting thing rather than a JKA hosting thing.

Thanks for the kind words @Cat Lady :)

Last edited:

k4far

Banned
Donator
Digging up the dead because our servers are still vulnerable as hell. I think it was yesterday, maybe even twice a 32/32 got crashed in to oblivion. Is anyone here besides J| in using this service?

Caelum graciously hosts DN servers, would recommend him 10000%. :)
In the past De Novo Community if I am not wrong @Vizino can you say anything about this. Was your server ever being continiously taken down in attacks to the point you could not play?

Last edited:

Eazy E

Banned
Digging up the dead because our servers are still vulnerable as hell. I think it was yesterday, maybe even twice a 32/32 got crashed in to oblivion. Is anyone here besides J| in using this service?
We do

Caelum

Donator

In the past De Novo Community if I am not wrong @Vizino can you say anything about this. Was your server ever being continiously taken down in attacks to the point you could not play?
Honestly, this is probably not something you'd need to worry about with our hosting. I'm not saying we never experience crashes or anything (and we have no control over mods' code), but in between...
  • OpenJK fixing just about every crash you'd encounter in a vanilla JKA server
  • Our DDoS mitigation being able to take care of really big attacks, and the entire thing being in-house, so we can just write new filters for DDoS attacks as needed
  • Anti VPN if needed being a thing we have available
...customers we host don't really get taken offline for long periods of time like that. We've got a very solid track record on that with the ~30 JKA servers we host right now; a lot of our customers came to us after they had issues with people either crashing or DDoSing their servers with other providers. Sometimes we've had to do things like deploy custom firewall filters for specific servers, or upgrade our hardware to filter larger attacks, but systematic crashes/DDoS really aren't the problem. I don't think people would recommend us so much if we didn't deliver on that, considering it's one of our major selling points.

Last edited:
I can very confidently say that Caelum's service is more than satisfactory. I've had 2 servers, one since around November and one since probably I'd say December. I have had no reason to want to stop renting these servers, and here's why: His servers have given absolutely no issues, it's not often that there are dramatic changes (and even then he usually notifies us and helps make it not a big thing), I almost never see his servers taken down easily, and he goes above and beyond with helping directly, going past just selling you the server but also having the time and knowledge to tell you exactly how to set everything up and how to fix any thing that is causing problems. For example, I sent him my RTVRTM file to have him put it on the server. I would have expected him to just put it on the server & leave it at that. Instead, he messaged me saying he actually looked through the file, and he talked through with me some changes I should make to help it work smoother on my server. This would probably have taken me a good few hours of trouble shooting alone, and this is just one example of many. If you're looking to buy an MB2 server from anybody, I 100% believe that Caelum is the way to go.