Leo

Internal Beta Team
Ignoring a player does not shut him up for everyone. And with someone else's nickname, a troll can do wild things without writing anything in the chat.
Everyone will consider the player under whose name the troll is hiding to be an asshole, without figuring out whether it’s Omelete or not.
Seems like you forget its up to server owners or smods to decide on who plays on their server. Why would bans for trolling be global if even the smod doesn't think it's necessary to ban the player on the server?
TLDR: Banning a player from playing the game because of his behavior on a game that survives only because of player-hosted servers is extremely braindead

Kitsu-Nesh'Kaa

Internal Beta Team
Seems like you forget its up to server owners or smods to decide on who plays on their server. Why would bans for trolling be global if even the smod doesn't think it's necessary to ban the player on the server?
TLDR: Banning a player from playing the game because of his behavior on a game that survives only because of player-hosted servers is extremely braindead
Okay, not so radical.
Add a command to the server - receive and use the list of globally banned people.
Also, add an icon to the list of servers with servers with the command enabled that displays protection from such people.
Anyone who wants to play honestly, for joy, without trolls, will be able to go to such servers.
Servers for trolls from trolls may continue to exist, but they won’t last long - they will get bored.

Okay, not so radical.
Add a command to the server - receive and use the list of globally banned people.
Also, add an icon to the list of servers with servers with the command enabled that displays protection from such people.
Anyone who wants to play honestly, for joy, without trolls, will be able to go to such servers.
Servers for trolls from trolls may continue to exist, but they won’t last long - they will get bored.
This seems a duplicate of my proposal to make Open Scrim and Open (Gonk) Casual.

It's stupid to be a troll. It's stupid to ruin the game. It's stupid to set people up. It's stupid to push away new players. Such people must be punished.
I understand that there are many “soy” newbies who don’t now the Internet from the 00s. But there must be a limit to the behavior of disgusting players.
1717598380300-jpeg.7994

2cwldys

FA Contributor
Donator
Internal Beta Team
It's stupid to be a troll. It's stupid to ruin the game. It's stupid to set people up. It's stupid to push away new players. Such people must be punished.
I understand that there are many “soy” newbies who don’t now the Internet from the 00s. But there must be a limit to the behavior of disgusting players.

They far outnumber us, and are deeply seated in this mod, unfortunately.
Given how the mod has a hands free approach to toxicity and bad behavior.

Including heavy resentment, contemporary jealousy, and extreme amounts of unwarranted hostility.
I find far too few share our sentiment, at least those willing to do something about it.

Last edited:
They far outnumber us, and are deeply seated in this mod, unfortunately.
Given how the mod has a hands free approach to toxicity and bad behavior.

Including heavy resentment, contemporary jealousy, and extreme amounts of unwarranted hostility.
I find far too few share our sentiment, at least those willing to do something about it.
A good distinction to make is that "the mod" is not apathetic to this behavior as its against forum and official rules. The problem is that all the attempts made at bettering the community fizzle out because of the sheer amount of effort necessary to curb a single bad actor. I've had to deal with stalkers, ddosers and relentless tkers for years, and honestly, its not worth the effort unless the systems to deal with them change.

I'll never recommend this mod to people I know might enjoy it, simply because of the way the community is. Good thing there are other star wars mod communities that do care like Galactic Contention for Squad.

Kitsu-Nesh'Kaa

Internal Beta Team
A good distinction to make is that "the mod" is not apathetic to this behavior as its against forum and official rules. The problem is that all the attempts made at bettering the community fizzle out because of the sheer amount of effort necessary to curb a single bad actor. I've had to deal with stalkers, ddosers and relentless tkers for years, and honestly, its not worth the effort unless the systems to deal with them change.

I'll never recommend this mod to people I know might enjoy it, simply because of the way the community is. Good thing there are other star wars mod communities that do care like Galactic Contention for Squad.
This is one of the main problems - it is VERY difficult to attract new players, because at the core of the community there are several medically ill degenerates ruining the players' time. Ignoring here is like hushing up the problem.
It’s hard to recommend the game to people, or advertise it in any way for free until things are in order.

I am not a fan of radical measures, but with such people, in my opinion, needs to stop being familiar and cut off their activities. Do they run private servers? Well, f*ck them then. Why create places where assholes gather?

Less radical? Servers with a general banlist based on information received from the launcher.

Less radical? Servers with a general banlist based on information received from the launcher.
A general banlist is impossible with the way it's currently handled. IP Addresses can not and should never be used to identify users and (speaking from experience) will cause lots of false positives even for people who have never played the mod before. Banning a specific address in Hungary can lead to an entire region consisting of a city and multiple villages not being able to connect for example.

Running my server I've had multiple instances of not being able to ban a specific user, even though I wanted to, because it would indirectly ban two others.

Kitsu-Nesh'Kaa

Internal Beta Team
A general banlist is impossible with the way it's currently handled. IP Addresses can not and should never be used to identify users and (speaking from experience) will cause lots of false positives even for people who have never played the mod before. Banning a specific address in Hungary can lead to an entire region consisting of a city and multiple villages not being able to connect for example.

Running my server I've had multiple instances of not being able to ban a specific user, even though I wanted to, because it would indirectly ban two others.
Now you can't get into the game without an active launcher.
The launcher can collect information about a specific PC, based not only on IP. I think he is already receiving some information.
And you don’t need to go into any deep things, for starters the MAC address for example or somenting else.
Add a mandatory checkbox “I agree to the processing of personal data” - with an explanation that this is to protect against dishonest players.

The launcher can collect information about a specific PC, based not only on IP. I think he is already receiving some information.
And you don’t need to go into any deep things, for starters the MAC address for example or somenting else.
Add a mandatory checkbox “I agree to the processing of personal data” - with an explanation that this is to protect against dishonest players.
I'm afraid you are trying to reinvent the wheel. This problem was solved on the internet decades ago now, the answer is an account system. I'd much rather require a forum account or even better, a steam account. This is not only more reliable but also creates friction for ban evaders. Evading a ban is a lot less palatable when it costs ~1-2 euro and 5 to 30 minutes of your time setting up a new account every time you get banned.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team

Things like MAC address are easily worked around these days.

The main problem with adding anything more robust, even with the launcher present, is JAMP. As well as making something that isn't trivially bypassed by any of the tools made to bypass other games systems. There are possible solutions the team is working on, but nothing concrete this very second.

I'm afraid you are trying to reinvent the wheel. This problem was solved on the internet decades ago now, the answer is an account system. I'd much rather require a forum account or even better, a steam account. This is not only more reliable but also creates friction for ban evaders. Evading a ban is a lot less palatable when it costs ~1-2 euro and 5 to 30 minutes of your time setting up a new account every time you get banned.

Creating friction like that is a nice method to have, but forum account is easily worked around, and we cannot make a steam account a requirement with the amount of other stores that you can buy JKA from (Amazon, Origin/EA Play, GOG, etc.) even though it has a nice ID system. There are ways to achieve similar results without reliance on an account system or steam though.

2cwldys

FA Contributor
Donator
Internal Beta Team

I've invited at least a dozen or so of people who just immediately uninstall, and we're used to it.
Just because we are, doesn't mean they should.
I agree.

I know this may be a bad suggestion but devs should make the in-game ban system the same as the tk system. What I mean by this is that /Insert player\ has been acting very bad, so he gets banned for 10 rounds. You know what I mean.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
There are plenty, Google being one no? This never been a priority (As it seem). Because it doesn't immediately impacts you ?

Not sure what the first bit about, but the second bit is more due to the person working on the launcher and upgrades that can help with this has an extremely busy IRL situation and they work on it and other things when they can. Just as an example, tutorial cinematics and conquest are on this persons to-do list (that I've been waiting on for 4 years and 13 years respectively), but upgrades such as this are higher priority for that person. So things like cinematics and conquest have to wait longer.