Full Open game mode

I was thinking about a game mode in which a round has no limit and you respawn immediately when you die. The objectives in such a game mode play no part. They can be completed, but they don't end the round or anything. A round can end after 60 minutes, just like in base JKA. This is basically the base JKA TFFA game mode I'm talking about. In the end, the team with the best score wins. The classes are like those in the Open mode.
What do you think about this?

Last edited:
Maybe they can have a regen rate in this game mode, or there should be those resource containers like in JKO where you can recharge your ammo and other things by standing and using them, or there should be ammo and other resources lying on the ground and respawning like in base JKA.

Sammy

Master of Whispers
Donator
Sounding a lot like role play game mode -- which the devs don't seem to like.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
I've wanted 'roleplay' game mode since 2009. It was around that time that they hard-coded the time limit, making it impossible to use custom FA to roleplay.
I think a large part of ppl who play Jedi academy outside of the MBII community do so to roleplay using lugormod and the like. If we made a proper RP mode we could attract a bunch of roleplayers who would also actively play the mod itself.

There are no reasons not to. We were completely fine in b17 and b18 without hard-coded time limits. Btw, every time you talk about RP mode/Time limit, I will spawn and say that we need it back. I've done this since they took it out of the game. I know all the weak non arguments against it so bring it on.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I've done this since they took it out of the game. I know all the weak non arguments against it so bring it on.

And I'm just gonna note that is what you say about just every argument against you in this regard. Totally not biased. Go away with your bullshit.

You didn't witness shit from the developer end and you claim to know it all. Just calling all of our arguments weak.

Also, there was a hard coded limit prior to RC2... it just broke during RC1 sometime.

Last edited:

Sammy

Master of Whispers
Donator
I truly like the idea of an rp mode. It's something to open up a creative side of this mod in terms of just fun role play.

I didn't think of this mode as a roleplay mode, I thought of this mode as a mode with faster gameplay where you can always play - no waiting dead and timewasting. Roleplay would happen everywhere eventually, this mode is just maybe more suitable for it than Open, but people roleplay in Open too and it's usually combined with timewasting.
spawnraep
In the meantime, I thought of a way to deal with this problem. Teams could have multiple spawnpoints on their respective sides of the map that aren't shared with the other team. Another possibility is that there would be many spawnpoints all over the map that are shared with the enemy team, just like in base JKA.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Mace seems to have a grudge against roleplay for some reason...

Cause it ruined several JKA mods in the past. Took them away from their initial design and bastardized them. Roleplay in video games in general is pretty horrible because of how they controls and the lack of proper communication methods within it. It won't be good until VR/AR or we get games capable of translating real-world webcam to character (star citizen) properly. "Roleplay" in JKA is the largest joke in the universe. I'm not even sure it should be called roleplay because it lacks so many things needed to be actual roleplay. The only thing it has is "ohh cool star wars gameplay". Never said I was unbiased towards it, but someone acting like they're the bastion of truth and glory on the subject is a sack of shit.

"Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of the Movie Battles Team."
I don't want to sound rude, but I'm more interested in the opinion of active devs on the subject.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I don't want to sound rude, but I'm more interested in the opinion of active devs on the subject.

Active developers have ignored the wisdom of older developers so it wouldn't be surprising if it was different. They refuse to stop messing with the saber system every fucking build. We've had 4 gamemodes in production for the last 8 years.... not a single one is finished because people keep taking development time for stupid saber changes. Many have been making uninformed posts in the forums lately. *Cough* spectator cam freakout on doors is the result of areaportals *cough* (not) so I don't expect anyone to be fully informed on the subject from the current team except for maybe Spaghetti. None of them were here when the initial decision was made. Not one of them saw what we saw at the time. Over ruling the vote of all the active developers that said we needed to fix the limit in RC2 would be a completely uninformed decision regardless of what their opinions on the matter are.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
And I'm just gonna note that is what you say about just every argument against you in this regard. Totally not biased. Go away with your bullshit.

You didn't witness shit from the developer end and you claim to know it all. Just calling all of our arguments weak.

Also, there was a hard coded limit prior to RC2... it just broke during RC1 sometime.

You already know your non arguments for removing the coded time limit are all bullshit. I told you to come at me if you wanna deny it, bring your stupid arguments and I'll refute them like I did many times over the past 6 or so years. We've been here before and I can sense the rage in you.

Mace seems to have a grudge against roleplay for some reason...
He's not the only one. Old timey devs all seem to completely short circuit whenever Rp and time limit is mentioned. But please excuse mace for his outbursts, he is clearly in one of his moods today.

"Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of the Movie Battles Team."

This. I wouldn't mind if current devs would include a game type with unlimited time. Or set server default time to 5 min and allow server owners to modify their own servers time limit with a sever side cfg thing.

Active developers have ignored the wisdom of older developers so it wouldn't be surprising if it was different. Many have been making uninformed posts in the forums lately.

Never said I was unbiased towards it, but someone acting like they're the bastion of truth and glory on the subject is a sack of shit.

*Cough**Cough* See above. /mace digs his own grave beautifully :)
#CallingSeVASackOfShit way to win an argument mace. Did I touch a nerve by saying I want hard-coded time limits to go away? In the past, this has always ended in the thread being closed and the discussion on time limits dropped. I wonder why?

Last edited:

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
I truly like the idea of an rp mode. It's something to open up a creative side of this mod in terms of just fun role play.

There are so many unused FA assets and force powers/possibilities. You can modify FA classteams and create your own character with different powers/etc. It leads to a whole lot of fun gameplay even if no RP is involved. It also allows for infinite respawn gameplay/dueling etc. Think of the power battles etc. Being able to extend time limits on large maps + respawns opens many possibilities. It's basically like opening up a playground. To this day, my best days in MBII were spent in b17 -> RC1. Dueling, roleplaying and open mode. The holy trinity for me that brought true satisfaction for me and many others. I quit in RC2 because it was a bad build, but then I found they fucked RP aswell and I havent been able to play as much as I did back then. Not ever since then.

Mace and some others have always argued that they need to keep a fascistic hold on MBII gameplay. They think they know how ppl should play the game and if anyone dares to play MBII 'for fun' or enjoy an 'alternative' playstyle then they are ignorant sacks of shit?

Anyone who tries to 'limit' gameplay and 'restrict' player freedom to negative effect seems to me to be fighting against the good of the game. If the wisdom of the old devs is to make a dry and dusty dotf open mode 24/7 server with 5 min time limit because that's the gameplay we intended.... then I don't want the wisdom of the old devs. What I want is freedom. People don't want someone else telling them what they can and can't do. The dictator also knows what's best for you doesn't he? How about letting people choose for themselves huh? MBII once had the ability to modify time limits and it didn't die did it? Don't you think that enabling RP in MBII will pull more ppl to MBII? If you think that simply removing the limiter on round time is going to kill the mod then you're severely deluded and in need of a good spanking.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
There is a reason the new gametypes for MB2 were designed to be map-specific and work within a set time limit. Modifying with that fucks with things.

You already know your non arguments for removing the coded time limit are all bullshit. I told you to come at me if you wanna deny it, bring your stupid arguments and I'll refute them like I did many times over the past 6 or so years. We've been here before and I can sense the rage in you.

1) Community fragmentation. That is one you cannot refute because it will happen. Any time you add a new mode to a game, you add fragmentation. Good job refuting that one sir. The only reason new gamemodes will work are because they can be placed in a rotation with anything else because the gamemode is based off of how the map is setup not what you have selected in settings. It doesn't matter what game it is, even non-mb2 things get fragmentation from the same damn issue. Overwatch just added 4 new arcade modes and the fragmentation issues were visible in the first week.
2) With RP servers on the server list, people may join them just because they see population and not name. Join and then get confused as to what is going on. This happened the last time and I know at least 5 people that were very confused the first time they joined MBII and asked me for help. This totally isn't going to happen again. If you say it won't you are ignorant and stupid. Again you cannot refute something that is fact and has occurred before.
3) RPers are a small subsection of the community. Far smaller than duelers, there isn't a logistical point in providing support for 5% of the community. It isn't just removing the time limit.
4) You have been completely unable to refute what happened to other mods not designed for RP but got taken over by it (Force mod 3).
5) Your arguments for the respawn/class change issue were only fixed recently with CTF and that isn't even released yet. Again, good job refuting.
6) You haven't done anything to fix the whole issue of the download system in the game. If people wanted to add their own custom RP content, players wouldn't be able to download and join because the autodownload system sucks and wasn't updated like lugormods was.

You're fucking delusional if you thought you refuted anything. Jesus christ. Again, you're full of shit and living in your own role play fantasy world.

Who was responsible for 1.3 and 1.4 saber system disasters? Oh right you and stassin. You totally know what you're doing design wise.

Last edited: