Full Open game mode

I was thinking about a game mode in which a round has no limit and you respawn immediately when you die. The objectives in such a game mode play no part. They can be completed, but they don't end the round or anything. A round can end after 60 minutes, just like in base JKA. This is basically the base JKA TFFA game mode I'm talking about. In the end, the team with the best score wins. The classes are like those in the Open mode.
What do you think about this?

Last edited:

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
There is a reason the new gametypes for MB2 were designed to be map-specific and work within a set time limit. Modifying with that fucks with things.

1) Community fragmentation. That is one you cannot refute because it will happen. Any time you add a new mode to a game, you add fragmentation. Good job refuting that one sir. The only reason new gamemodes will work are because they can be placed in a rotation with anything else because the gamemode is based off of how the map is setup not what you have selected in settings. It doesn't matter what game it is, even non-mb2 things get fragmentation from the same damn issue. Overwatch just added 4 new arcade modes and the fragmentation issues were visible in the first week.
2) With RP servers on the server list, people may join them just because they see population and not name. Join and then get confused as to what is going on. This happened the last time and I know at least 5 people that were very confused the first time they joined MBII and asked me for help. This totally isn't going to happen again. If you say it won't you are ignorant and stupid. Again you cannot refute something that is fact and has occurred before.
3) RPers are a small subsection of the community. Far smaller than duelers, there isn't a logistical point in providing support for 5% of the community. It isn't just removing the time limit.
4) You have been completely unable to refute what happened to other mods not designed for RP but got taken over by it (Force mod 3).
5) Your arguments for the respawn issue were only fixed recently with CTF and that isn't even released yet. Again, good job refuting.
6) You haven't done anything to fix the whole issue of the download system in the game. If people wanted to add their own custom RP content, players wouldn't be able to download and join because the autodownload system sucks and wasn't updated like lugormods was.

You're fucking delusional if you thought you refuted anything. Jesus christ. Again, you're full of shit and living in your own role play fantasy world.

Who was responsible for 1.3 and 1.4 saber system disasters? Oh right you and stassin. You totally know what you're doing design wise.

Okay let's get going.

1) People don't RP all the time. They mostly play normal game mode then have a few RP events every week for fun. RP is not a 24/7 thing where you can just jump in to it. You need to organize events and write a story. Community fragmentation will not occur because of RP. As I mentioned before, RP will most likely bring more ppl to MBII, who will then start playing open mode and dueling aswell.

2) There were never any 'official' RP servers that people could just join and RP. See above. When we had RP all the RP servers they were password protected and you could get PW from MBII forums -> RP forums. Also website name/explanation in the game info/title. The fact that it could confuse people is no reason to remove it. If we follow the lowest common denominator then there's truly no hope. So because a few people don't know what is going on, we should permanently ruin the fun for 50+ people?? Get real.

3) You never provided support for RP'ers. Just unlock the limit and they'll support themselves.

4) I don't know about this mod, so it is probably not very significant. Besides, it is not my job to go around refuting these things is it? We're talking about MBII. We had something once and it was fine, then you took it away in a childish fit of rage and we want it back. You then proceed to argue that the mod would die if you didn't take it away, DESPITE the fact that MBII had survived for what? 6 years prior to that? Probably more. This is a non argument.

5) What arguments are you talking about? In the PW protected RP communities, if ppl joined for an event you can kill yourself and restart the round. Now with the CTF respawn fix which you're brought up for som reason, this isn't an issue either. You're basically just removing your own arguments frm the table by bringing this up.

6) Again, this isn't an issue. Most 'RP' content consists of skin packs since you can just use custom class files from FA. What you got if you didnt have teh skin pack and joined, would just be a bunch of kyles of different sizes. With this forum containing a link to the RP site and explaining things, it should be fine. This is once again the thing... 5 people are confused. Remove the fun from 50 people because 5 new players don't know what RP servers are. This argument doesn't make sense. It never has and it never will, no matter how much you repeat it.

And finally. I was not responsible for 1.3 in any way. I didnt like it either btw.

But imo, 1.4 was a great system. I stand behind it 100% It could use some tweaks, since stassin counter-acted some of my suggestions, but it was overall a much better sabering system than 1.3 or what preceded it. I'm not ashamed of 1.4 in the least, though I wish we could've continued to improve it. Stassin didnt want to though and stopped working on it. Then I had a break from MB2 and come back to find 1.4.3... a total mess.

Anyways, I don't mean to sound arrogant but you're not exactly the most well-versed duelist are you mace? Even if you were someone like tempest/stassin or agent I would still stand behind 1.4 and make arguments for the features in it that I considered good. In the end though, for 1.4 I was just the tester/partner who made suggestions and tried to direct it towards what I want. Stassin was the true coder behind the scenes, like tempest is with the upcoming build. I've once again stepped in as a suggestion dispenser to try and fix 1.4.3, but my efforts depend on tempest like they depended on stassin in the past.

Speaking of other Jedi Academy mods, does anyone know some good RP mods out there (except for lugormod, the combat looks terrible)?

Fang

Donator
If you wanna go RP go host a ded server lock it and pretend you're crylo ren with them sick /bind says from the movie.

Roleplay killed several good clans in lugormod during its prime. If any of you remember Mystic Forces it was pretty large when JK base/lugor was thriving hardcore. They disbanded into that JKG mod which died in god knows what time. Hell look at KOTF mod

@Golvan Knights of the Force - JKHub

KOTF died but some guy revived it might be for you, I remember loads of RP nerds here
Clan called C.I.S (dev owns it as well I think) is there and some of them play MB2

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Speaking of other Jedi Academy mods, does anyone know some good RP mods out there (except for lugormod, the combat looks terrible)?

MBII is the best for RP+combat. I'm not sure there are any other active mods out there. Haven't cared for them in many years. I know there's still some JA+ RP dudes out there, but this isn't good for RP+Combat.

I can only think of OJP(Open jedi project), which would actually be quite good for RP + dueling. You can download it and make an offline server against bots if you wish to try out OJP dueling. Bots can actually fight a bit in OJP :)

I also heard that Jedi knight Galaxies has been resumed, but I know nothing else. Jedi Knight Galaxies mod
if JKG ever gets finished, it could potentially be decent for roleplaying with its various systems. Combat is probably not going to be too terrible either, but I doubt it can come close to MBII.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Okay let's get going.
1) People don't RP all the time. They mostly play normal game mode then have a few RP events every week for fun. RP is not a 24/7 thing where you can just jump in to it. You need to organize events and write a story. Community fragmentation will not occur because of RP. As I mentioned before, RP will most likely bring more ppl to MBII, who will then start playing open mode and dueling aswell.

Jesus christ. How is this even an argument? "Oh someone doesn't play RP all the time so they're only fragmenting the community 50% of their playtime". Yes it has the possibility to increase overall player count but that isn't the issue with fragmentation. Your idea that substantial amount of people haven't played MB2 because it doesn't support RP isn't a fact and is a complete guess. You didn't refute the idea you went around it.

2) There were never any 'official' RP servers that people could just join and RP. See above. When we had RP all the RP servers they were password protected and you could get PW from MBII forums -> RP forums. Also website name/explanation in the game info/title. The fact that it could confuse people is no reason to remove it. If we follow the lowest common denominator then there's truly no hope. So because a few people don't know what is going on, we should permanently ruin the fun for 50+ people?? Get real.

Yes there was.... Skinner's brother kewl ran a RP server in RC1 and is the reason we even found out about the hardcoded time limit being bugged in the first place. It wasn't password protected because I joined the RP server to verify peoples claims. Even then, the server only had a handful of people on at any one time. It might be 50 unique people overall but its a very small section of MB2s player base if you count uniques. We found out about it from an unlocked, 24/7 RP server. Just because yours were password protected, had info, doesn't mean they all did.

3) You never provided support for RP'ers. Just unlock the limit and they'll support themselves.

That isn't acceptable to me. If you're going to do something for a small segment of the community you better be willing to support bugs and any other issues that come across with it. You have to provide more than just unlocking the limit to do that, such as a slightly modified version of CTF that allows respawns/class switching. Which again isn't released. This half-assing attitude is what got us the whole issue with saber-gun perks in the first place.

4) I don't know about this mod, so it is probably not very significant. Besides, it is not my job to go around refuting these things is it? We're talking about MBII. We had something once and it was fine, then you took it away in a childish fit of rage and we want it back. You then proceed to argue that the mod would die if you didn't take it away, DESPITE the fact that MBII had survived for what? 6 years prior to that? Probably more. This is a non argument.

It is significant because it isn't the only mod and was actually somewhat similar to MBs early builds and I believe was part of the inspiration. RPers caused the developer to ragequit JKA because he couldn't get people to play the game normally. It is significant because it shows a pattern. It isn't the only mod this happened to and is one of the underlying problems of the JKA community where the RPers seem to eventually take over everything till its the only thing left. There are reasons MBII is alive today while all other mods with no gameplay restrictions are dead. MBII team needs to stay focused on its core audience and making their experience better. Not catering to everyone. MBII was made in 2003. If we go by your timeline the timelimit was hardcoded in 2008 which is 5 years. As I have already told you though, the hardcoding the timelimit in 2008 (RC2) was a bugfix, not creating the hardcoded timelimit in the first place. It was not in B17/18 as you mentioned as I am unsure when the initial implementation was added but it was indeed before RC1. So no.... in reality it survived 4 years at an absolute maximum.... and MOST of that time people didn't even realize they could RP. It was half way into RC1 before people realized Ravager duel didn't have a timelimit and they went from there and started creating RP servers.

5) What arguments are you talking about? In the PW protected RP communities, if ppl joined for an event you can kill yourself and restart the round. Now with the CTF respawn fix which you're brought up for som reason, this isn't an issue either. You're basically just removing your own arguments frm the table by bringing this up.

You are right, it does fix one of my issues with that specific part of it. The whole idea of just "killing yourself and restarting the round" while thats fine if you want to do it that way.... isn't really an argument in itself. You say my argument below that doesn't make sense.... well there you go. Having to reset things was one of the main reasons I never joined a RP server again. I got enough frustration with having to reset even basic MB2 trailer acting scenarios all the time.

6) Again, this isn't an issue. Most 'RP' content consists of skin packs since you can just use custom class files from FA. What you got if you didnt have teh skin pack and joined, would just be a bunch of kyles of different sizes. With this forum containing a link to the RP site and explaining things, it should be fine. This is once again the thing... 5 people are confused. Remove the fun from 50 people because 5 new players don't know what RP servers are. This argument doesn't make sense. It never has and it never will, no matter how much you repeat it.

It is a pain in the ass when you can just do it right. It doesn't allow people to just hop in as easily for a day and goes back to the whole if were gonna support it we may as well do it properly. The 5 people were just the ones that messaged me about that one specific issue on steam. Not any of the other messages we got while people joined the public IRC channel. You see how much of a pain it is redirecting people who get banned on specific servers to the server-specific forums? Yeah.... The argument makes perfect sense... just because its only 5% or less of the contributing factor rather than being the only reason why we shouldn't do it... These reasons compound on top of each other and I did not list all of them.

if JKG ever gets finished, it could potentially be decent for roleplaying with its various systems. Combat is probably not going to be too terrible either, but I doubt it can come close to MBII.

JKG was designed to be RP anyway... with full story, dialogue, large maps... multi-server in-level transport to allow you to go to different planets but be within the same cluster. So yeah.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I would personally love a game mode like that. However, I am quite fond of the LMS mode and I fear it'd die with something this casual being brought in. Perhaps in a restricted degree? 1 minute respawn timer after all lives expired? I dunno.

However making specific maps play out with different rule sets could be interesting.

Sounds good, would fix many problems this mod have at the moment, if there would be no spawn limit.
So there will be new problems, if one side is too strong, it would end in spawn killing the other side, which could be avoided with protected spawnzones.
RP mode sounds wonderful, too.

So there will be new problems, if one side is too strong, it would end in spawn killing the other side, which could be avoided with protected spawnzones.
In the meantime, I thought of a way to deal with this problem. Teams could have multiple spawnpoints on their respective sides of the map that aren't shared with the other team. Another possibility is that there would be many spawnpoints all over the map that are shared with the enemy team, just like in base JKA.

Didnt read everything so i have missed that.^^
Sound even better, multiple spawnpoints.
So i dont like the idea to share spawnpoints with the enemy, because this would lead to spawncamping, too.
Another good thing, without spawn limit, timewasting would become useless and only boring for the timewaster.

Why are we even talking about RP? This thread should be about a TFFA mode as Soldier suggested. I don't see how this would affect the amount of role-playing in this game, something I'm sure people do anyway.

As someone who has extremely low playtime in MBII, I can easily say that it's due to me dying very early in the round and waiting for the round to end while I twiddle my thumbs. Not because I want to roleplay, I just want to play the damn game for cryin out loud! I'm usually on duel servers solely due to the fact that they have respawning.