Forum like/dislike system

Add function to dislike comments and make like and dislike separate counters. Do whatever you want with account counters. Make liking/disliking anonymous so people that agree/disagree have to comment and say what's on their mind if they want others to know their stance. Also, allow not logged in people to vote and hide counters for them till they vote so they don't zerg. This should be very easy to do compared to the feedback system you are working on and would revive Feedback & Gameplay section a bit.

Not with this amount of population.
Edit: Also don't let offtopic have likes and ban shitposters that don't do it in offtopic.

Last edited:
If people truly are against an opinion or idea, they should write out their thoughts instead of hiding behind a 'me-no-likey' button

I disagree with at least half of posts in the last 6 months and there are only a few posts that I fully agree with and can give my like to. I imagine many are the same.
If you write out your thoughts you have to defend from criticism. You quickly get swarmed with everyone's opinion and have to respond or you'll fail. Not everyone takes criticism lightly. Some take it as an attack on their person get angry or sad and don't post again. It seems most non-new players would like to see change and my system would help in that. As it stands now small digit posters don't have enough force to make their ideas reality unless respected poster declares it a good idea or it is amazing one on its own. Decent ideas get thrown into the trash bin. There is a big amount of nonvocal people visiting forums. I checked moviebattles.org site traffic and there were 960 unique visitors on the last report. Why do you guys don't want more people to get heard? 1.5 when it launched received a lot of criticsm and developers basically responded with "only minority doesn't like it, the rest loves it". If we had my system at that point then 1.5 would get aborted in max 2 weeks.

This isn't social media, it's a forum. Stop posting if you don't want to see them.

If you write out your thoughts you have to defend from criticism. You quickly get swarmed with everyone's opinion and have to respond or you'll fail.
I don't see an issue with having to defend your own writings, it's neccasary and even useful to said person defending. And while you might feel the need to respond to everyone, you're not required to. It's not your primary function, your source of income and what not. You should do it for fun and if it stops being fun, stop.
As it stands now small digit posters don't have enough force to make their ideas reality unless respected poster declares it a good idea or it is amazing one on its own. Decent ideas get thrown into the trash bin.
Everyone has the same accesibilty of applying for developer or beta tester. If you believe you can assist in MB2's development then everyone is welcome to do so. The more the merrier and the faster work gets done.
1.5 when it launched received a lot of criticsm and developers basically responded with "only minority doesn't like it, the rest loves it".
Many developers said different things, so don't generalise. Even if it doesn't seem like it, the devs do read the stuff people post and keep it in mind.

Not everyone has time, dedication or skill to actively help in mod's development. Some just post and talk about issues. I should've put Stassin instead of developers, though non-lead developers mostly were quiet during that time.

This is thread is about fixing feedback issue. Changing game now is based on the opinion of a few people backed by few people (for forums at least). I just want to broaden the circle.

This won't devolve into Reddit as long as shitposting is not included. My system is different from Reddit's. Firstly two counters instead of one. Secondly not logged in can't see counters. You can actually have normal discussions on Reddit as long as you don't visit echo chambers. AskHistorians comes to mind. Currently, this forum is more Reddit than my system would ever make it. Provided moderators will be doing their job.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Add function to dislike comments and make like and dislike separate counters.
From technical point of view, this is not easy to make.
You see, these forums are made with XenForo, a popular forum software. Devs of XenForo decided to implement only likes, but not dislikes, so you can't add dislike system by just clicking a button in admin area.
To implement dislikes, it's required to find, buy, install and maintain an add-on.

Ironically, the authors of XenForo are the same people who created an another highly popular forum software, vBulletin, and vBulletin has the features we're talking about out of the box: rich and complicated 'reputation' system, that does allow upvote and downvote posts.
I spend plenty of years as a user of vBulletin-driven forum, I can compare both systems -- and to be honest, I don't think our current way to rate posts should be changed. It's simple as possible, it's easy to understand and use, it does not provoke unnecessary debates about further tweaking it; by adding new perks, we will end up having long, boring and autistic fights between people who have 1000 ways to 'finally balance' post rate system -- in the very same way as to balance MBII saber mechanic!
Also, allow not logged in people to vote
Oh, and this is just a bad idea.
Voting without logging in automatically stomps the legitimacy of the poll to the ground, because everybody who didn't like results will say it was rigged by voting multiple times using proxy/VPN.

One thing is to have a list of nicknames right under the post or in poll results window, people can easily decide how valid voting was and were double accounts involved into this; but when all you see is final numbers, and you know anybody could vote over and over again if they were stubborn enough to get enough working proxy servers, is a different story.
you're just jelly because ppl who posted funny pics had more likes than leaders from support section
Hey! I had tons of likes from both support section and from the funny pic thread.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
How about you fix your fucking pretentious font and wall of text style before you attempt to make suggestions about how to improve the forums?

Secondly, you have zero insight in the development cycle or how the awful patches actually come about. Blaming the community as a whole for the mishaps of developers seems extremely far-fetched. So does the implication that somehow introducing 'your system' would solve the issue of bad patches.

Also, I think people should present credentials when voting, otherwise you're liable to encourage voter-fraud. A lot of the 'new' visitors are VPN users or dynamic IP users or people on their phones. Let's say we had an important vote. If a bunch of people created new accounts using a VPN to skew the vote, we would be able to at least detective-work them out of the equation should we want to.

In addition to the above, I think most ideas that get shot down, get shot down because they are bad ideas from inexperienced players that have no idea how the game works. I should also point out here, with reference to your earlier misconception about forum opinions perniciously influencing dev decisions, that it is up to the individual to make up his/her own mind about a suggestion or idea. Devs are just individuals, so it is up to them what sort of suggestions they wish to include or discard. Of course, it's more complicated than that, but in essence, when I post something, I am not more effective than I would've been with 0 posts to my account. Or at least I shouldn't be, assuming that I had laid out the case for the suggestion I was making reasonably.

Actually, I've been posting suggestions and feedback, some good, some bad, since 2009 when I first established my dueling guide on the forums. I often feel woefully impotent, and have felt like that over the past few years because the decisions made by the devs in those patches have often been in direct opposition with what I felt would help improve the game. However, people have often blamed me for bad patches when I've had nothing to do with them. For example, I was blamed for 1.4.2 and 1.4.3 when I wasn't even playing the game or beta testing that period. In 1.5 the devs decided to invert my number suggestions on AP multipliers and keep the patch alive with gamebreaking bugs for months and months.

What I am trying to say is that people on the forum are not scary evil influencers that need to be tamed with a punitive system and heavy-handed moderation. Please go home and rethink your life. The forum design isn't the problem here, so don't fix what isn't broken.

Thank for explaining technical difficulties Puppytine. Also, I never wrote that this should apply to polls, only to comments, but as you wrote changing current system would take a lot of time, so this thread can get closed.