Force Sense: FA-Only ?

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Just throwing in a poll to see what at least ppl lurking on forums think about it.

Ideas like making sense be just a warning sign on radar when an enemy is closeby, not giving precise locations, have been discussed recently, but ultimately just knowing about an enemy's presence is still a big advantage. And that's as little an advantage as it's going to get, really, that's pretty much as weak as we could make force sense.

So what about removing force sense from open mode completely ? Only FA classes would still freely have its powerful current version, and it's fine for jedi/sith to be uber-good-at-surviving/ambushing/teamworking/killing 1v1/pretty much everything apart from killing enemies at a distance characters in FA.

Not adding a 3rd possible response in the form of "keep it in open mode but a weaker version", that kind of opinion should go in the "No." option because ultimately it's keeping Sense in open mode.

It is better not to remove sense, but rather look into ways to reimagine it. The sugesstions regarding "aura of awareness" seem good. Alternatively, there should be ways to make it less accurate. Like, instead of showing the exact location and class of the enemy it should just light up an icon on your HUD, that shows "someone is near you". And perhaps, at higher levels, a vague direction.

Last edited:
My main thought on this topic is that Jedi/Sith have been nerfed in recent versions significantly enough.
Considering that I'm playing mostly as these classes, being efficient Jedi or Sith requires more skill than ever before.
There are times when half of team consists of saberists, true. However it doesn't mean they are good in their role.
At first I was a bit confused with flinch, but it's not something that denies to get away from it successfully.
But it's still an advantage, additionally gunners have many other ways to kill a saberist, just like others mentioned before me.
And now one of Force powers which is an important support for team is considered to be changed.
Some may say that just because I'm Jedi/Sth I'm one sided, but as for me saberists also need assets which are unique only to them.
So, I am against this change.

T r i s t a n

Banned
Sense is a must have force ability for actually being able to be effective as a melee based class in a shooter game... Do not do this to us Saberists...

Sense is a must have force ability for actually being able to be effective as a melee based class in a shooter game
ppl actually believe a wallhack is a substitute to knowing the map?
learned nothing.jpg

If they remove sense i can see the camping j/s coming, which hide an ambush the enemy. (At least thats what i will do)
Ooooh the tears...i can see them, many flinchnoobs will cry in pain.
Wallhack...so cute.

T r i s t a n

Banned
Knowing the map doesn't help me too much when I am being flanked unknowingly while fighting multiple opponents.
Think about it, in order for a Jedi/Sith to be effective they need to close the gap and go for the melee kill, but sometimes it is very unwise because you sense too many enemies so you hang back and wait for your moment. Without sense, you would rush in and die instantly from the gun fire.
OR:​
Removing sense will promote a silly playstyle for Sith/Jedi where they are forced to hide behind walls and wait for people to come across to maaaaybe sneak attack kill them. Jedi/Sith will then be a patient players class focused on jump scares, becoming an annoying class as their gameplay would be slowed down greatly by being forced to act far more cautiously, they would also become useless as a Support class, you simply wouldn't be able to have the sense of awareness to spot and protect for your team. So long to leading... So long to being able to fight groups of enemies, you will be surrounded and killed before you can react...

RIP MBII...

Last edited:

T r i s t a n

Banned
Dont give up, there is duel mode and FA.
You do not get the same MBII experience in either of those game modes.
OPEN is the only true gamemode.
DUEL is for training until you are ready for OPEN.
FA is just for funsies.
Once OPEN is ruined, many of us will notice.

Last edited:
You do not get the same MBII experience in either of those game modes. OPEN is the only true mode.
DUEL is for training until you are ready for OPEN.
FA is just for funsies.
Once OPEN is ruined, many of us will notice.
Open is ruined (50%) for me since 1.4 i use so often forcepowers now its annoying, but its most of the time the best solution.
There are good saberists gone since this version, i guess more will follow if nothing changes.
Youre right, only map in FA which i would play is jeditemple maybe FA is not good as alternative.

T r i s t a n

Banned
Open is ruined (50%) for me since 1.4 i use so often forcepowers now its annoying, but its most of the time the best solution.
There are good saberists gone since this version, i guess more will follow if nothing changes.
Youre right, only map in FA which i would play is jeditemple maybe FA is not good as alternative.
FA and DUEL are both not good alternatives to OPEN. FA only has a selection of actually enjoyable maps to play, and in DUEL you are not able to 2v2 or anything like that, you also do not get to battle troops and use team tactics... Therefor those cool moments are gone. If OPEN Jedi/Sith are ruined, I along with many others will certainly be unhappy.
Saberists have been nerfed enough in 1.4... All a gunner has to do is land a shot to take advantage of Flinch, throw a grenade, blob, or if all else fails you have an extra life...
Gunners are the ones who should be being looked at (they need some buffing and some nerfing) but instead you are now trying to make Jedi/Sith unplayable by most people... Where in reality a Jedi/Sith that know's what they are doing should count for at least 2 regular troops.
Is MBII trying to become Counter Strike?

Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
HELP, WE ARE BEING OPPRESSED BY GUNNERS!! FLINCH OP!!!!! GIBE 150% DAMAGE REDUCTION PLS!!!!
HELP, WE ARE BEING OPPRESSED BY SABERISTS!! SEEING OP!!!!! PUSH OP!!!!! GIBE 150% FLINCH PLS!!!!
There are 2 saberist classes and 12 gunner classes. Having more gunners than saberists makes sense lol (not to mention that's not true, most of the time around 50% of the team goes jedi/sith)
No it doesn't.
Even though there are 12 gunner classes, they all basically belong to one proto class, gunners. They all have similar game model, similar abilities, that's why we use word "gunner" so often.

And ratio of jedi/gunners in a team isn't related at all to this topic.
If people like to play saberists, they should be allowed to play them without any penalties.
Being a sith isn't a crime.
because its not jedi vs et vs sold vs hero etc. its jedi vs gunner.
^^ THIS.
The goal is not to nerf jedi/sith but make them harder to play.
You can call it whatever you want, but it's still a nerf.

And since when you decide jedi/sith should be harder to play, eh?
Why should it be harder, actually? After all those years of nerfing...
How about make clones, wookiee, sbd harder to play? Or do they have some privileges here?

Some people are so biased they openly confirm they want saberists to be removed from MBII, but developers really should be above that.
Or, at least say it loud, that jedi doesn't deserve to be important part of this mod, where only gunners lives matters.
Like, even the whole "you're nerfing Jedi in favor of Gunners" angle is just nonsensical to me, because unless something goes terribly terribly wrong, the best team is always going to consist of some mix of Saberists and Gunners.
No, nonsensical is thinking that nerfing some class won't make a consequences for team balance.
Force of team is basically just sum of forces of all its members, anything else is just rhetorical exercise.

Your statements about roles, support and that stuff are sounds like some politician bs to me.
"We don't do budget cut-outs, we just perform optimizations. Money will be used more efficient, believe us. You'll get even more quality services!"
Yeah, right. Smile and wave.
I really hope one day we will have a class limit and build game balance from there.
I really hope one day we will have a class limit that will be configurable by servers owners.
Last thing we need is dictatorship; instead, there must be a free competition between servers those have class limit turned on and those which don't.
more interesting and stealth-oriented
More slower and camper-oriented.

Last edited:
While I agree the sense should be kept, in it is current form there is no doubt it is a wall-hack, which is bad for the depth of the game and limiting the possible approaches for map design.

Currently, in competetive (what there is left of it) a jedi/sith is a must on both sides and most maps simply due to the two abilities he adds to the team: pushing nades and looking at enemies through walls. While the first one usually leads to an interesting strife between the teams on who can throw a nade better, push it, re-push it back, etc, the sense as an ability completely shutdowns any possible sneaky and stealthy options for the attacking team. What is the sense of trying any diversions and distractions if the jedi will call you out on it long before you get into position to get anything done? This is very bad for competitive.

So far I see zero actual properly argumented opinions in support of keeping sense the same as it is.

The arguments of Tristan are not realistic and sometimes completely illogical.
Think about it, in order for a Jedi/Sith to be effective they need to close the gap and go for the melee kill, but sometimes it is very unwise because you sense too many enemies so you hang back and wait for your moment. Without sense, you would rush in and die instantly from the gun fire.
Or you could just use your brains and knowledge of the map as well as the sounds inside the game and positional awareness of you and your teammates to know that right now you do not need to rush into the particular position. What is wrong with game sense as a skill of the player? Would you like to keep it completely out of the game as well?

Removing sense will promote a silly playstyle for Sith/Jedi where they are forced to hide behind walls and wait for people to come across to maaaaybe sneak attack kill them.
This is straight up wrong and illogical. The fact you don't see your opponent through walls does not mean you don't know where they are. And it definitely does not mean all forceusers will become too careful all of a sudden. In fact, in the current live build the force users have extreme amounts of options in terms of ways of closing the distance. The the fact any map has cover allows for a skill-based use of this cover to regen FP if needed and close up the distance, the fact there is IDR in the game and the way it currently works further enchances these options. And I'm not even mentioning the fact you can run around any gunner (except SBD and Wook because of their melee) indefinitely and your FP does not get lower than 75%! Which is crazy that you can do this when you think about it! And at any point you can just make a swing for a kill. The deflect arc is wide enough to defend from most angles up to the moment when you get into reach, which helps in larger teamfights. FP regen rates and HP damage reduction (if used correctly) also adds a significant amount of survivability. At least to the person, that knows how these mechanics work and think on finding ways to use them in a fight. With such options in play sense is not necessary to be able to get kills.

Jedi/Sith will then be a patient players class ... as their gameplay would be slowed down greatly by being forced to act far more cautiously, they would also become useless as a Support class, you simply wouldn't be able to have the sense of awareness to spot and protect for your team.
They would not become a support class, and as to slowdown of the gameplay, that would be true only up to the moment of the actual engagement. Besides that, isn't it close to the spirit of movies?

I literally see no argumentation in all of these, all I see is a more civilized modification on this: "But it is too hard, I just want to run around, press one button and kill people! I can't do it anymore! Don't nerf my jedi, pls!!!!1111oneoneone"... It actually becomes silly by this point. Why do I stay a top fragger when I pick jedi in current live builds? Even if the opponent's team has a lot of gunners? Why isn't flinch an issue for me, but it is for the horde of noobs that don't care to think on the way they play the game?

Puppytine made somewhat more sense, but still not a single solid argument.

Even though there are 12 gunner classes, they all basically belong to one proto class, gunners. They all have similar game model, similar abilities, that's why we use word "gunner" so often.
This is straight up wrong. Each of these "samy" classes have significant differences in the ways they deal with the same threats. Hero will dodge your saber due to faster movement speed and then quick-throw a nade to knock you down, for example, or he will snipe you from proj at close range if he fees lucky. SBD or wook can't do it, but they are immune to push almost always - all other classes need to walk until you will start your swing, just to not get knocked down. Deka can't move at all so it has to rely on its aim and discharge/quick deply. Clone will use blobs to try and kill you instantly, BH will use poison to whither you down, etc... All of which are completely different approaches to handling the same threats, which you should play against in different ways. How are these "the same class"?! And this is me just barely scratching the surface. The only reason for "gunner" word to exist is due to the fact they have higher "reach" than forceusers, and therefore more significant impact at long ranges. Which the jedi is well defended against by IDR only, not to mention other factors, like cover, regen, bullet travel time, etc.

And ratio of jedi/gunners in a team isn't related at all to this topic.
If people like to play saberists, they should be allowed to play them without any penalties.
It may be true it is not related, but it is an indirect indicator of some of the most important aspects of the game.

No, nonsensical is thinking that nerfing some class won't make a consequences for team balance.
Force of team is basically just sum of forces of all its members, anything else is just rhetorical exercise.
Your statements about roles, support and that stuff are sounds like some politician bs to me.
Except one word: teamwork. And it is far from being a simple "rhetorical exercise". In fact, what you are doing right now is exactly a "rhetorical exercise", because you are not talking about game in terms of its mechanics and ways to use them, you are trying to tell your opponent "no, you are wrong" while barely backing it with any argumentation for your opinion in terms of gameplay mechanics. Your own words are so much closer to politics.

You can call it whatever you want, but it's still a nerf.
Yay, lets ignore the opponent's argument completely, without any basis. Again.

Now, in order for me not to be unfounded I will try to provide some additional details on the reasons for my opinion on the matter, all in terms of gameplay mechanics that actually exist in the game, and the possible ways to use them.

Interesting gameplay occurs when there are two or more players trying to achieve certain goals (like, killing opponent) by applying their skills to some in-game mechanic. The most important skill of a gunner lies in his aim, which is quite a hard thing to master, especially if you take the bullet travel time into account. Since jedi can't utilize aim to win, there need to be other ways to apply skill: game and map knowledge, positioning, timing, etc. All of these affect the gameplay of the gunner as well, but to lesser extent. For jedi, there must be ways to enchance the importance of the skilled usage of these other aspects to compensate for absense of aiming. This means, any changes should enchance the impact of a skilled usage of these mechanics against unskilled usage of the same aspects. Since the "win" for the jedi in any encounter involves getting close enough to hit the opponent, this means all of the mechanics should be centered around providing ways for jedi to use these aspects to close distance, and for gunner to have options to capitalize on incorrect unskilled usage of these mechanics.

If you remove sense it will drastically change the importance of game feel and map knowledge, as well as importance of watching your allies, communication between teammates. At the same time, jedi still has enough ways to retreat if he suddenly gets out of position: wide blaster block range, agility (running fast, jumping high), current incredibly high FP drains, IDR mechanic. It will not break open, the only thing that will be harder to do is to kill somebody when they are about to open a closed door - you can't really see them through it either, so you will need to react. I think removing such bullshit possibilities is good. You can still just check corners briefly instead of running blindly past them. At the same time it will help fixing the worst parts it brought to competetive MB2.

And as a light version of the change it may be simply reworked to be less wallhacky. The reason it should be kept in some form is that these are jedi after all, it would be weird if they didn't have any form of sensing threats with Force.

Just FYI, I voted "no" on the poll.

Last edited:

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Thanks for existing, Jiube. I don't have enough energy to brawl with.. these kinds of debaters.

Last edited:

T r i s t a n

Banned
Everything I have said has made complete sense.
Screw it, I'm done giving any opinions/feedback. You're all going to ruin MBII very, very soon all on your own.
Starting to think 1.5 or maaaybe 1.6 (if it happens) will probably be the last MBII build for a lot of us. Not even talking about sense, if you are willing to remove such a fundamental force ability as Force Sense, then what is to stop you from continually nerfing-err sorry "making harder to play" the Jedi/Sith class further down the line? This is Star Wars! Everyone wants to play as a Jedi... What else will be taken? Force Push? Or maybe all our saber styles will be narrowed down to just using Yellow... Give Gunners an extra life if they are sooo sick of dying or add a passive buff to encourage teamwork and sticking together... Of course a Jedi/Sith should be able to kill a Gunner in a 1v1! Unless the Gunner is exceptionally skilled and uses Flinch or his environment to his advantage. I really don't know... I really don't care about this game's development anymore as it is being driven by these people. In the next couple years and after a few builds of using this gunner-favoring nonsense you will revert back and the cycle will continue. It drives me insane you all are willing to destroy such a good game instead of building upon it. All this time could be put into making something great out of MBII, not reworking the game every few months forcing players to leave and new players to come back just to leave again, this cycle is silly.

Last edited:
Is that a capitulation?

If you read my message, I never said "remove Force Sense right now no questions asked".

It is even weirder for me to see a person who started playing this mod a mere few versions ago talking the game is imbalanced countrary to the united and consolidated opinion of people who play this mod for 7-10 years. It even becomes funny when such newcomers build their theories of further game development based on the misinterpreted understanding of the way game currently plays.

Once again, nothing was said in terms of game mechanics. If you do not have anything to say in terms of game mechanics except "jedi should be OP because they should" - I feel good you will stop participating in this discussion anymore. At least until you have more knowledge and understanding about the game.

If you have anything to say on subject - I'm always welcome to discussion.

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
There is close to a 0% chance that sense would ever be straight up removed from open mode even if this poll favored the Yes (just like there is almost 0% chance that purple/cyan/duals/staff saber styles would be removed for example for the reason that they are originally poorly made in JKA compared to blue/yellow/red and complexify mb2's gameplay for little gain). But it is very likely to get some appropriate nerfs in the long run, though definitely not in the next patch and maybe not even in the one after that.

To be honest i am really, really surprised that this poll got as many Yes as it did.

Last edited:
Oh for goodness sake lol. Why? What's the reasoning behind removing force sense? Not long ago you considered the possibility of it costing 0 FP on activation. Make your mind up lol.

There is already a penalty for using sense - no FP regen and costs 20 FP each time and people on the other team can hear it if they're close except sense 3.

It would ruin the teamplay dynamics of the game. Jedi/Sith should be able to spot snipers, call out ambushes or flank attacks in teamchat.

Last edited:
We're doing april fools again and I haven't noticed?

Voting no to the worst possible idea I've heard so far, Even if I main gunners.

Whenever I play Jedi/Sith, Force sense 3 is a must for me.

How else am I going to inform the team that there's that fucking rocket ARC in the CW or that the Deka's hiding behind a pillar?

How the hell am I suppossed to play support without force sense 3 even, force sense 1 is shit and force sense 2 doesn't last enough for a complete overview of the area.

I'd rather have pull, push, lightning, grip, speed, mind trick and jump removed than force sense. I'd also ratther have them removed than have force sense 3 edited in any way.

Last edited:

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Gosh, a lot of people sure do respond with "Force Sense shouldn't be changed because Force Sense should stay the way it is."

Jedi/Sith should be able to spot snipers, call out ambushes or flank attacks in teamchat.
How else am I going to inform the team that there's that fucking rocket ARC in the CW or that the Deka's hiding behind a pillar?

(again, my own stance is just that allowing more stealth by removing/limiting sense would be a fun thing to try. The responses of the form "but I want to be able to nullify stealth" are completely irrelevant to my argument, at least, inasmuch as they are just "no" and not really a counterargument.)

In general, in life, I mean, people seem to have a tendency to go "things should stay the way they are because things should stay the way they are" as if that's an argument. Like "Can't you see that things are this way? Thus, it would be crazy to change them." I don't understand that. People are resistant to change without actually having justifications for why. This thread seems like it's full of half-assed justifications made up on-the-fly by people whose real concern is "I want to keep doing exactly what I'm doing, because I'm used to it."

Removing or even really decently limiting Sense WOULD be a dramatic change, so it would shake up the flow of gameplay, and it is reasonable then to just say "I prefer the current strategic flow where it's easy to keep track of the enemy." I just want to try a different.. shape, of the game. A sneakier shape.

also:
This is Star Wars! Everyone wants to play as a Jedi...

is a philosophy I really, really personally dislike. The game is so well-developed around synergistic teams. It's not... it shouldn't be just a Cool Jedi/Sith Power Fantasy, and anyone who seriously and vocally suggests anything in that direction (such as: that everyone should be able to play Jedi if they want to) is missing a whole lot of the beauty of this game.

...and maybe that comes back to the name. Would make sense if "Movie Battles" attracted people who just want power fantasies. Strike Force was a good name, but changing the name would be risky and a hassle :<

(all-Jedi teams should be "theoretically sub-optimal." For what it's worth. Like an all-Medic team in TF2. This is a team game, as much as so many of you don't seem to believe it.)

Last edited:
Removing or even really decently limiting Sense WOULD be a dramatic change, so it would shake up the flow of gameplay, and it is reasonable then to just say "I prefer the current strategic flow where it's easy to keep track of the enemy." I just want to try a different.. shape, of the game. A sneakier shape.

Well, a lot of games in the past have took this approach, dramatically changed a games gameplay against people's wishes and ended up losing all of their player base. It's not the best idea to "dramatically" change gameplay to something the community collectively doesn't want.