Fixed Footstep sound doesn't play when walking on some surfaces

What went wrong
Walking on certain surfaces cause no footstep sounds.

What should have happened
Players should generate footstep sounds when walking so I can hear them coming.

How to reproduce
Load mb2_smuggler
Walk around in the ship @ rebel spawn
No footsteps can be heard

I observed this in the following locations:
mb2_smuggler - Ship and elevator
mb2_kamino - Elevator
mb2_deathstar - Drawbridges and elevators
mb2_cmp_telos - Drawbridges, elevator and breakable parts of the upper bridge

I did a tiny amount of investigation in the decompiled map file of mb2_smuggler and found that in all cases these surfaces were classified as an entity and not a brush. I know this is a well known issue with the game but a bug like this wouldn't be accepted in any modern competitive game so why not see if we can fix it in MB2.

Last edited:

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
May or may not be fixable in the mod. If it's engine side it might be fixable in OpenJK only.

Here's why it doesn't work (openJK client)
CM_trace traceline function doesn't check for entities (by the way the reason why there are no shadows drawn when you are standing on ents is exactly the same)
i think if you replaced it for a trace line function that does, and append the switch statement to account for entities it would work
Edit: CG_Trace and CG_G2Trace do that
92631-clip-116kb.png

Last edited:

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Here's why it doesn't work (openJK client)
CM_trace traceline function doesn't check for entities (by the way the reason why there are no shadows drawn when you are standing on ents is exactly the same)
i think if you replaced it for a trace line function that does, and append the switch statement to account for entities it would work
Edit: CG_Trace and CG_G2Trace do that
Well that saved me a bit of time. Looks like footsteps are in cgame module / SDK code so something that can be changed in MB2 itself. CG_Trace works fine, once ents are filtered to just movers (so we don't have footsteps on random crap like players).

Shadows do not seem to work, probably because regular marks don't show up on movers.