Fair and balanced teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaloLorn

Movie Battles II Team Retired
Admin commands nobody uses because clan servers don't care about stacked teams and people refuse to play anywhere else but 24/7 servers.

I must first figure out what's causing my map-change crashes before I can comfortably leave 24/7 servers (regardless of which map they run.)

Also, the problem with high player counts, IMO, is that the maps aren't built for it. Places like Mygeeto or Endor, maybe. Jakku, probably. DotF, Death Star, Eravana, Echo Base, freaking Smuggler? Not by a long shot - the only defensible locations are too narrow for either the attackers or the defenders to properly attack/defend, because half of them are built for teams half that size. (For instance, DotF main becomes 'crowded' at 3-4 gunners per team - side, 1-2 gunners. You either have to hunker down - together, and you know how hard it is to coordinate random teams that big - throughout the throne hall and generator room, or you'll be interfering with each other's maneuvers and stealing what little cover you have.)

I think that's called "defending the objective".

The former, sure. The latter is called "timewasting". :p

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
I think that's called "defending the objective".
I think by "Throne Camp" he's probably more alluding to the idea that it's too easy to defend the objective in cheesy ways. Ditto for gen camp, OR he's referring to timewasting in deep gen. Catwalk camp accomplishes nothing except punishing dumb imps who overextend, and timewasting, but it's still worth removing just cuz it's such a dumb situation all around.

Also in criticizing the current state of DOTF, he's speaking from the context that a new version of DOTF is coming out sometime, and he helped design it, and it improves on DOTF's flaws. IMO even with the flaws, DOTF is still overall a "great map," partly cuz the aesthetics.

It really is only an okay map... there are tons of problems with it... throne camp, gen camp, catwalk camp, claustrophobic rebel side of main, lack of true cover in main allowing for pop sniping, bad respawns. Need I go on? It isn't a bad map, just definitely not a great one.
Despite all those shortcomings (which some of those are barely shortcomings), mappers struck gold as far as the layout. I don't think it's claustrophobic per se, but it is a map that supports all kinds of classes and play styles.

Example: In a map like Comm Tower or Death Star, I feel like Jedi/Sith and Wookiees have an advantage because of the vast variety of places to hide, not to mention the tight halls and corridors on both maps that make it a blue milk run for saberists when fighting gunners and the ability to evade shots and gunners due to all the places to hide.

I feel like DOTF is special because any class can be used on it to maximum effectiveness and they can also be countered effectively.

Every map has their plethora of issues. After all, this game is managed by a volunteer-based development team which means level design won't be Triple A quality (hell, it's barely single A quality :p).

Just look at the CMP; nice, well-thought out maps with accuracy to lore (I guess), but their level designs are piss-poor, which is why no one plays them/enjoys playing them.

You can't deny the layout for DOTF is a hit. I don't think it's a coincidence that 80% of the player base loves to play on it, even with a variety of servers running different game modes and maps. DOTF is almost always the first choice.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Example: In a map like Comm Tower or Death Star, I feel like Jedi/Sith and Wookiees have an advantage because of the vast variety of places to hide, not to mention the tight halls and corridors on both maps that make it a blue milk run for saberists when fighting gunners and the ability to evade shots and gunners due to all the places to hide.

I feel like DOTF is special because any class can be used on it to maximum effectiveness and they can also be countered effectively.

This is why rotation is better than DOTF 24/7. Not every map should be viable for every class, not every situation should either. When I had to make all of RC's ceilings higher to allow for better use of Mandalorian's but you can probably understand that even though it was for the best it still may not have been the best move. Not every level has to appeal to every class if it doesn't fit. Mandalorian doesn't fit RC very well but I was still forced to drastically alter things just to accommodate them. I also had to design CC in a way that didn't allow them to use the additional height to too much of an advantage that they can shit on other classes. However, that is also what makes those other levels fun, because not everything is an even playing field and never was intended to be. It forces people to vary their strategies, use different classes for different situations.

Actually, I think DOTF favors Jedi/Sith, Snipers way more than it should... A lot of classes get neglected on DOTF when I play.

DaloLorn

Actually, I think DOTF favors Jedi/Sith, Snipers way more than it should... A lot of classes get neglected on DOTF when I play.

I think this is more a symptom of favoring snipers than favoring saberists... except lightning/grip Sith, but that's another can of worms altogether.

This is one of the reasons why AoD Pande, and the other 24/7 DOTF servers are more popular than most other servers with a different map by a large margin. It's also why you see the most skilled players usually playing on these servers. Most players who can be considered skilled or very good are very concerned about k/d ratio, and will often play Hero/BH, or Jedi/Sith exclusively.

moar oldies than newies playing = the oldies are good cus wow dey old = most oldies want gud kd ratio to give a false sense of self fulfillment to fill in the gaping hole in their souls (that gaping hole being a manifestation of their own self doubt that their lives have any meaning and that they arent a complete waste of natures time and effort into giving them their lives and a waste of their parents efforts to give them a proper upbringing and a good education so that they can waste it all playing shitty 2003 video games but here i am so wow theres the hypocrisy eh?) = most play hero/bh jedi/sith exclusively = most play on dotf cus thats best map for em = bam pandemonium and bg always populated

On the other hand, it also means I never have to do any actual work because if there is anybody actually on US Official (without me coaxing them onto there to play FA with me GODDAMMIT GET ON US OFFICIAL YOU LAZY BASTARDS) then the moon is literally made out of cheese, because that shit is rare.

Also, wow I posted on the forums.

Woohoo...

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons why AoD Pande, and the other 24/7 DOTF servers are more popular than most other servers with a different map by a large margin. It's also why you see the most skilled players usually playing on these servers. Most players who can be considered skilled or very good are very concerned about k/d ratio, and will often play Hero/BH, or Jedi/Sith exclusively.

moar oldies than newies playing = the oldies are good = most oldies want gud kd ratio to give a false sense of self fulfillment to fill in the gaping hole in their souls (that gaping hole being a manifestation of their own self doubt that their lives have any meaning and that they arent a complete waste of natures time and effort into giving them their lives and a waste of their parents efforts to give them a proper upbringing and a good education so that they can waste it all playing shitty 2003 video games) = most play hero/bh jedi/sith exclusively = most play on dotf cus thats best map for em = bam pandemonium and bg always populated

Also, wow I posted on the forums.

Woohoo...

HEY! Stop ruining my justifications for for my power fantasies! You're not allowed!

On a more serious note, quite frankly, as enjoyable that DOTF can be at times, it gets stale and boring somewhat fast, one of the only reasons I would go to those 2/47 servers is because of the population; I would much rather go to a rotation server, but they aren't always populated. Sometimes I would try sitting in one and wait for it to build up, but it doesn't always work. I don't get why someone would play only on one map only, that's boring. As for playing one class only, I think that's a more of a personal thing, while granted, some may only play those classes because it gives them a better chance of getting a high K/D, but it can also be because it's what they have the most fun playing as; like me, I only ever play as a saberist, and I RARELY play as a gunner; Why? Because it's what I have fun playing as, but I understand what you mean, as I also see it as well.

HEY! Stop ruining my justifications for for my power fantasies! You're not allowed!

On a more serious note, quite frankly, as enjoyable that DOTF can be at times, it gets stale and boring somewhat fast, one of the only reasons I would go to those 2/47 servers is because of the population; I would much rather go to a rotation server, but they aren't always populated. Sometimes I would try sitting in one and wait for it to build up, but it doesn't always work. I don't get why someone would play only on one map only, that's boring. As for playing one class only, I think that's a more of a personal thing, while granted, some may only play those classes because it gives them a better chance of getting a high K/D, but it can also be because it's what they have the most fun playing as; like me, I only ever play as a saberist, and I RARELY play as a gunner; Why? Because it's what I have fun playing as, but I understand what you mean, as I also see it as well.

It's too bad my IMMENSE SELF LOATHING far outweighs my capacity to INTELLIGENTLY DEBATE or else I might have actually read your post.

Font size 7, bold, blue, and italics. I'm getting pretty BOLD if you know what I'm saying.

It's too bad my IMMENSE SELF LOATHING far outweighs my capacity to INTELLIGENTLY DEBATE or else I might have actually read your post.

Font size 7, bold, blue, and italics. I'm getting pretty BOLD if you know what I'm saying.

Do you have... something crawling in your skin?

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
This is why rotation is better than DOTF 24/7. Not every map should be viable for every class, not every situation should either. When I had to make all of RC's ceilings higher to allow for better use of Mandalorian's but you can probably understand that even though it was for the best it still may not have been the best move. Not every level has to appeal to every class if it doesn't fit. Mandalorian doesn't fit RC very well but I was still forced to drastically alter things just to accommodate them. I also had to design CC in a way that didn't allow them to use the additional height to too much of an advantage that they can shit on other classes. However, that is also what makes those other levels fun, because not everything is an even playing field and never was intended to be. It forces people to vary their strategies, use different classes for different situations.

Imbalance is a feature, not a bug.

There are a lot of jaded Vets in this game, and do you not wonder how they got gud?

Fighting the stack makes you stronk, outside and within.

Do you not want to be stronk?

I do.

LoU

R2D2
Long story short.
Game is fairly balanced ONLY IF people are smart.

This is team-based game, so there will never be balance over sold vs deka. Once again - team based.
If you see deka and sbd, you will take arc and help your team, not another jedi.who will die withing seconds rushing main against high firepower.

The problem is not the balance itself, players make problem, they are problem.

If it comes to stacked teams - just ask admin to shuffle so it will be more fair. I'm admin on few servers and today I was forced to use this command coz noone wants to be raped by other team. But let's be honest, if only people would gather on TS/Discord, and used brain by switching to needed classes they would easily won. But hey, why not taking 6th jedi. Why the heck not. Then blame team coz they suck.

Teamwork. That's all you need.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.