Fair and balanced teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Teams
FA12C6A9730DE4036DC3B1407B3547B25F6DD95A

The proper way to wait for the rebel scum
374DB6F5AC6644D3183658B468E1BF51EC0F758C

how about implementing glicko-2 rating system for open mode and perhaps FA (like restricting certain classes to a newly calculated minimum elo number based on the ratings of the players currently playing on the server)? Admittedly, it uses Steam accounts at least in QL/CS:GO, but surely it can be done with a custom account system.

XonStat/feeder at master · PredatH0r/XonStat · GitHub

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
Or we could just use the already present shuffle/autobalance commands..

Or we could just use the already present shuffle/autobalance commands..

It's random and doesn't guarantee actually balancing the teams at all. Having a rating system would force the players to stop with the trolling bullshit/tks and get good.

Yeah sure mate, cus good players stacking teams and noobs taking powerful classes in FA is perfectly fine isn't it?
I was saying no to open mode, because it would kinda defeat the purpose of it, BUT for FA, now I don't really play it that often so I can't say. Reason for this is because this game is really a more laid back game, where you can jump on and just play how you want. Plus with this system you have in mind, the MBII devs would have to make and maintain a server that keeps all stats saved and recorded and have it connected to every server that wishes to have this system implemented, however if they don't do that, and if it would be up for the server owners to keep the data, they would most likely be kept to individual servers, so say you have a high rank in one, but you join another because of population, then depending on whether or not you played on it before you would have to restart from the first rank. As for skilled players stacking teams, if you mean one team having more people than the other, that's fixed via auto-balancing, if you are talking about pure skill stack, then that really can't be helped, that is up to the server population to sort out, and even then it can be a hassle to do, especially if the team auto-balance feature is on; because the only solution for the problem you are bringing up is to implement a matchmaking system, but for the size of this community, it would not work at all. Not to mention the coding involved, and if there are any bugs the dev team is gonna have to work on that first before they can work on anything that involves the game itself, otherwise they would have a broken system that doesn't work, and depending on how it's set up, then no one will be able to play, and if there is a way for someone to play on servers without that system, then most likely no one is going to use it, especially if what the system does is limit you on what kind of classes you play in open mode.

Right now, there isn't anything to be gained nor lost when winning or losing matches, only bragging rights. Point is, the system you are bringing up, not only would (my own estimate from personal observations from the community) a huge amount of individuals be against it, it would also drastically change the environment of the game, and the population would most likely drop and then boom, the community would die. Because one of the appeal to this mod is the opportunity to play what you want, when you want (depending if it is on open mode, and your which team you are on) and how you want, the consequence for not being skilled, is being defeated easily and having to wait till next round. And say you are having some pretty bad rounds, and you have your favourite class unlocked, then next thing you know you get de-ranked, now that class is locked, and you get stuck with classes you don't find that much fun to play, and you want to play that class you got locked out of, what then? You are forced to play with the other classes, and hope that you can do good with them, so you get your favourite class back. Now, I am not saying everyone only ever plays one class, and one class only, I know some that play different classes all the time and enjoy all the ones they play, but some only ever play as one class. So if you aren't one that enjoys multiple classes, then it'll feel like a chore to have to go through the leveling process of unlocking your desired class, depending on what it is, and once you get it, it becomes a fight for survival to keep that class.

Another gameplay aspect is this, say you have one team that has the lower tier ranks, so they would only have classes that can only be useful if the user is skilled with them, and example being soldier and Elite troopers/commanders; now in the right hands these classes can be devastating and can turn the tide of a round, but the the team with lower ranks are low ranked because they aren't skilled and keep losing, and the other team is high ranked and have most if not all the classes unlocked, then they have the HUGE advantage of diversity and more tactical options where the other team limited, and can only do so much. Sure they can get better at the game, but with a game where different classes that have hard counters to other classes, skill can only help you to a certain degree. Try getting out of a corner when you are being push spammed while sitting on a thermal detonator, even if you are walking, while you may not get knocked down, you still get pushed back, and by the time you make an opening to escape, you'll have already been vaporised by it.

This is the joy of the game, huge amount of diversity in gameplay when you play a different class, you take that away, then you have to work for that enjoyment, and even still have fun making sure you don't lose your rank due to bullshit. And this game isn't meant to be taken TOO seriously anyways, it's just something to lay back and mess around in (to a certain degree anyways.)

I am all for class limits in open mode, but on a number basis.

Not a accumulative hour type deal. Forced to have X amount of points or hours in order to unlock a class doesn't work because in order to use that class and be good. You need to be complete shit for 100 hours while playing that class. This wont fix the bad jedi problem, it will just piss people off.

Infact you can never ever fix the bad jedi problem, we can sit here for months and argue about it.
Nothing will fix this. You can only treat the symptoms to this problem which is stacked teams, skill stacked, and number stacked. Whatever the fuck stack exists.

I am all for like 5 people per class on each team, and forcing teams to be more balanced instead of one class spam.
Nobody enjoys being on the receiving end of clones, jedi, droidka, wookie, sbd, frankly any class spam period.
Actually I kinda like fighting clone spam as a soldier.

Seeing as we have 32 player limits, and you can only have 16 people per team.
Having 5 to 6 per class seems like a reasonable number for a class limit.
5+5+5 is 15 players. That is the worse case scenario in terms of class spam.

But I rather have 5 of 3 differnt classes than like 12 jedi with over half of them being negative scored either 0-9 kd or shit load of tk.
Noobs with guns are more useful team mates than noobs with swords.

It may also force people indirectly to learn how the fucking game works and force people to read the goddamn guide somebody slaved over.

That will be able to solve what I just saw in that screenshot. But to be frank, I would bitch to the admins to that server. Because the developers have no control how private servers work here. They can only influence the servers to an extent. Private servers can even run outdated versions of the game, completely ignoring the changes the dev team made to the mod.

That is a blessing and a curse because the mod team can give a completely broken patch and crash to desktop for your game on accident. Private servers have to manually patch thier shit. So if the event of no back up exsists, you can message AOD_Insane or some [DoM] guy on steam and they will send you a link to their sdk they use for their server.

Or have clans such as I mentioned have a monopoly on the player base because their servers are always populated vs the official servers because they can just have their clan members join the server and give impression of activity, fooling people like me into thinking people are playing the game and I can get some matches done. From what I heard, there is a clan that forces their members to play on their servers and and then scolds them for playing on other servers for too long that could end with a member termination. Hell, the clan owner can also issue a ban if they wanted too, after all they pay and own the server. They can do whatever the fuck they want with it. It's their property.
Another reason clans are cancer in my book. But people do what they want to do, im just a retard with an opinion.

The best the dev team can do is only unlist the servers for their game, but even then the server owners can still host the server where ever and just pass out an ip for it. And have all their players manually connect.

Last edited:

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I still don't know why we have a 32 limit. MB2 is a mess after 10v10.

I think that is mainly due to some badly designed choke points in some maps as well as a lack of some route inter-connectivity. Too much of the fighting in mb2 is centered around choke points and some other areas need to be made more viable. Which makes things too claustrophobic in its current state. 24 should probably still be the max because 32 is way too many people either way but 10v10 - 12v12 would be perfect if some level changes could be made (though sadly most cannot because of engine and performance).

Example: Changes to reb side of main in dotfv2 is a hell of a lot less claustrophobic than it currently is in normal dotf.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
I still don't know why we have a 32 limit. MB2 is a mess after 10v10.
yes, please, I'd love a 20 cap. There's been times when the only servers with <80 pings and anyone on them are both above 24 players, which is a bit frustrating. I guess it would be a bit against the will of the players, in a "you don't know what you want" kind of way, but I sure would like it if those people were instead forced to flow off and fill up less popular servers instead of just making a giant clusterfuck.

(relatedly, FA is pretty dead, especially in NA servers. It tends to bore or frustrate people. That's a topic for another thread. Although this thread is about as off-topic as possible.)

swagmaster

Model Fixer Dude
Movie Battles II Team
If we got 32 player caps lessened to 24, players on AOD servers would shit on the devs :p

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
all the more reason. They need to experience some personal growth anyway :D

triumph over adversity :D

If we got 32 player caps lessened to 24, players on AOD servers would shit on the devs :p
Who gives a shit?
(I know you are kidding)

Stacks are a symptom of Clan behavior. Clans has always brought out the worst in communities. They should not have monopolies on players bases because their interests are only themselves, not those around them. If clans cared about the communities they are apart of they would have active engagement with it and trying to work with people. Not firewall and shit talk.

Why I bring this up so much? Because these are the only servers that are active a majority of the time. Then we come here and bitch and moan about it. Devs can't fix this, they own and host the officials. They have no say on private servers. If this shit happened on the officials, they could actually do something about it.

Clans force you to go to another website and "play" a game of he said, she said on a forum they host and pay for when frankly you come here to play movie battles. Not participate in meta political bullshit. You go to their servers because they are active, if you had a choice you would play on the officials but you don't. Because nobody plays on them. Nobody here really cares about these servers except the people who own and pay for them. We just go there because they are active.

No way should they have a say in the development process of anything because that creates a bias and implicates an agenda to benefit their people. They are players like us, and their opinions should be treated as equally as ours. They should not have a single say in anything in terms of balance, future plans, and features.

Remember, we are all people here. This is not a business, there is no regulations, laws, human resources. We are a bunch of fucking nerds who like starwars and happen to play video-games. Frankly we are children, every single one of us. So yeah this drama bullshit will always be a thing because children are petty. Stacking, unbalanced teams, and people participating in the hivemind. Clans will never acknowledge how much of a problem stacking is, because it would make them hypocrites.

Clans will never admin servers on skill stacking, or stacks in general. Maybe numbers but that is as far as they will go. Because if skill stacks were enforced, they wouldn't be able to all join one team and coordinate against randoms on a discord. Which is disgusting to be frank, it kills servers and people loose interest in the game because why should they tolerate this? It's unfair and nobody will do anything about it, so why stick around for it?

Last edited:
Initially most games in mb were played with a 20/24 limit.

Maybe because of the frequent server crashing early on. But I seem to recall a rise in 32 servers with 24/7 dotf...

Initially most games in mb were played with a 20/24 limit.

Maybe because of the frequent server crashing early on. But I seem to recall a rise in 32 servers with 24/7 dotf...

16 players is not that much of a difference compared to 12. Its only an extra 4 people per team.
You could say the maps were not designed to accommodate big numbers, but 32 players isn't that big.

16 on 16 is pretty average for any multiplayer game in like 04 and up.
It's the people who play the game are the problem, not the number of them.

If people cleaned up themselves, the game wouldn't feel like a bitch to play sometimes.

Maybe. As it is, 32 player servers are mostly a mess to play in.
With 10/10 or 12/12 its a bit more clearer and coordinated. Less Chaotic:)

To dream of a server where all the players worked in sync and knew what they were doing...pass the pipe.

Sammy

Master of Whispers
Donator
Stacks are a symptom of Clan behavior. Clans has always brought out the worst in communities. They should not have monopolies on players bases because their interests are only themselves, not those around them. If clans cared about the communities they are apart of they would have active engagement with it and trying to work with people. Not firewall and shit talk.

+ snip

I think you are basing your opinion on a few experiences... clans are communities in which players can have fun together -- if managed correctly that is. A clan that focuses on power and political drama is not a clan, but a community full of anarchists..

Status
Not open for further replies.