•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

[SOLVED] Changing map using console causes error.

Hello,

This is my first post, not sure if this has been addressed already, but I couldn't find anything on it.
Whenever I try and use the console to switch maps to a map that is not listed on the Movie battles 2 map list (i.e. Go create then select one of the maps there) it loads fine and everything works. but after the first round my character becomes unable to move, as if I an suffering major lag. My character (and even the spectator cam before the game starts) can move forward slightly, and then are teleported right back to where they were; doesn't seem to matter what I do. I only have this problem when I use the command "Map [MAP NAME]" (Or Devmap) to change maps, specifically to maps which are not listed, as its the only way to load them.

When I try and play via lan with a friend he cannot connect to my server if I host maps this way (even in the first round), but the "lag" effect is gone from my end (After the first round). Instead I get something that says "PLAYERNAME command overflow" in the console. And on their end they get the error "Server Error: CLparseservermessage". Again this is only when I use the command "Map [MAP NAME]" (Or Devmap) as loading the map via the create game menu works totally fine. I don't know if there is perhaps another way to load maps which could avoid all of this, or if there is a solution someone out there knows of.

Really hoping to find a solution to this as all of my favourite/interesting maps are unlisted in the create menu.

Thanks.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
That's pretty strange, and I'm not sure what could cause it.
But anyway, hosting server via in-game menus or commands in client isn't generally recommended; just use standard method -- hosting using jampded.exe/openjkded.x86.exe:
Hosting Server: Windows

Viserys

ex team lead
Movie Battles II Team Retired
There is a known issue with lag on client hosted maps. Please try hosting a dedicated server instead, as Puppytine indicated.

I will try to host a dedicated server tonight and post here the results, thank you.

Willis, are those maps created to get used in Siege gamemode? Or even are those maps MBII maps?
The maps I'm specifically trying to load are, MB2_DOTF in open mode, and Ultimate_showdown in authentic mode.

Hallelujah, it has been solved. Thank you all, it has been a real learning experience for me. I will document what is the solution here as to help future problem havers (if any). First read the post Puppytine linked to, it is a bit vague, and some parts (particularly server.cfg things) didn't work for me, as I had no sever.cfg file in my game data folder. So i found this post:

[SOLVED] - Creating dedicated server

Which solved it for me. The original poster had a lot of the same problems I did. Here's what you do, read the post I linked to above. Someone in that post has linked to all the files you will need already made for you, The batch file, the Server.cfg, but not Jampded.exe (i found i have a server_config_default.cfg in my mbii folder which i think is the same as the one posted, or referenced to as server.cfg). The server.cfg file in your mbii folder is the one that has to be altered for the game to be effected i found. when you connect to your server type in the console "connect localhost:29070" and it should connect in a few seconds. That's what worked for me.

Thanks everyone.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Hallelujah, it has been solved. Thank you all, it has been a real learning experience for me. I will document what is the solution here as to help future problem havers (if any). First read the post Puppytine linked to, it is a bit vague, and some parts (particularly server.cfg things) didn't work for me, as I had no sever.cfg file in my game data folder. So i found this post:

[SOLVED] - Creating dedicated server

Which solved it for me. The original poster had a lot of the same problems I did. Here's what you do, read the post I linked to above. Someone in that post has linked to all the files you will need already made for you, The batch file, the Server.cfg, but not Jampded.exe (i found i have a server_config_default.cfg in my mbii folder which i think is the same as the one posted, or referenced to as server.cfg). The server.cfg file in your mbii folder is the one that has to be altered for the game to be effected i found. when you connect to your server type in the console "connect localhost:29070" and it should connect in a few seconds. That's what worked for me.

Thanks everyone.
You had no "server.cfg" because it's not supposed to come with MBII installation.
It's supposed that user makes a copy of "server_config_default.cfg" with some other name, like "jampserver.cfg", "server.cfg", "LeakedNudesOfMaceWindu.cfg" etc, then modify it for his/her needs.
For some reason, I had some weird bugs (settings were changing on their own) when config of my server was called "server.cfg", so I avoid using that name.
I cannot reproduce those bugs now, though.

I didn't understand what did you mean about jampDed.exe.
Server setup looks like that:
  1. Copying file "server_config_default.cfg" and editing it
  2. Downloading jampDed.exe to GameData
  3. Creating .bat file to run jampDed.exe with custom command line arguments:
    Code:
    jampded +set dedicated 2 +set fs_game mbii +exec myserver666.cfg +set net_port 29070
  4. Executing that .bat file.
    Note: A link (.lnk file) can be used instead of .bat file.