Anti-Trolling Mechanics is a MUST for next build

how about no
1571339287814.png

FrenzY

Chaos Connoisseur
Movie Battles II Team
I feel you. Sadly, none of your suggestions are even really possible to implement. The TD -> Disconnect maneuver is definitely a problem imo, tho.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Frenzy wasn't on the team at the time it was fixed, he also was in a break from mb2 at the time if I remember correctly. I wouldn't expect him to know it was fixed. Also like I wouldnt know/care about various saber changes. We're not all knowing.

Things like a report system would be nice, but having it based on players within a single server is a bit bad and much easier for those same trolls to target others. Others are way too heavy handed, and an overcorrection. They would also be hard to find a fair balance of values and punishment.

volleybalm

Banned
Frenzy wasn't on the team at the time it was fixed, he also was in a break from mb2 at the time if I remember correctly. I wouldn't expect him to know it was fixed. Also like I wouldnt know/care about various saber changes. We're not all knowing.

Things like a report system would be nice, but having it based on players within a single server is a bit bad and much easier for those same trolls to target others. Others are way too heavy handed, and an overcorrection. They would also be hard to find a fair balance of values and punishment.

beastlyugl.png

This yes!

[...]
People playing on servers with cheat protection off is also a huge turn-off for me (although I do not know the specifics of JA's (MBII's?) cheat protection).
Constant bad behavior like intentional FF, blocking pathes, interrupting a friendly hacking/use or even TKs are annoying nuisances, too.
But apparently one has got to learn to live with them [...]
I may have understated the part this plays for me in repulsive reactions to MBII gaming.
But team inbalance, lack of drawn out saber duels (yes behated patchset I am looking at you) and same few maps over and over
are playing their part, too. As is the dreaded class change bug, but that is nitpicking.

And my lack of skill. :D

The way I see it, different people just expect something different from MB2 all the time. Some want to play for objectives, kills, whatever while others just want to joke about and have fun.

And I don't think it's surprising that some don't take MB2 seriously anymore seeing that Open mode has surpassed being a joke and has evolved into being a comedy. Balance has been thrown through a window, down a 50 storey building and left to decompose on the sidewalk for nearly more than a year now. The game isn't fun anymore and if it's not fun, why bother?

All the stupid gimmicks that happen on Smuggler or wherever with melee fights, rockets, grenades spam, etc etc are what's still keeping the game fresh for people. Sorry to hear that you don't share the fun of others have but I really think you're stretching it when you're trying to call those others "a problem to MB2"

The game isn't fun anymore and if it's not fun, why bother?

All the stupid gimmicks that happen on Smuggler or wherever with melee fights, rockets, grenades spam, etc etc are what's still keeping the game fresh for people. Sorry to hear that you don't share the fun of others have but I really think you're stretching it when you're trying to call those others "a problem to MB2"

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
this is not some hugely competitive e sports. i dont get why people take trolling so seriously, give it a try, or get some thicker skin. if you need some safe space in your game then buy your own server and manage it like a nazi, no one will play on it since everyone is banned.
I think youre misunderstanding the point. It is not that people are getting offended. It is that it makes the game drag.

As tylenol said this game means different things for different people and there lies the problem. Another man’s fun is another man’s mb2 vibe killer. And since mb2 is an old game and has a lot of fucked up things that you can do tends to make people who are otherwise fed up with the game start just trolling around.

for example I enjoy challenge. I like to play very weird builds with wonky set ups, but once you learn to reduce the disadvantages your weird build has and buff the advantages you have and actually make it work it becomes satisfying. This does require that the enemies are actually fighting and not trolling. If nobody is fighting seriously, then everything I am doing is for nothing. The fun of challenge is gone. Some people woud think this is try harding. In my opinion, it is not. For me try harding is to make your build as meta as possible, never take risks and play very mechanically. I like to play very risky, play very weird builds that on the paper dont make much sense at first but can be used in very unpredictable and creative ways. In otherwords I guess my style is to make a handicapped build and semi tryhard with that.

The creativity part is what drives me in this game. Once the enemy does not try to kill me anymore, it takes that creativity part away. That is the sad part since the creativity is what most other games lack. In mb2 you can be almost anything you want with any settings you want to have. The amount of customization you can do in this game is so amazing and that is why I still play this game to this day.

Helix

Movie Battles II Team Retired
If you look at this situation from the other side, you may come to some interesting conclusions. When we (those who are named "tryhards" nowadays) came to this game, we saw players killing enemies, doing objectives, making sick plays... We thought that THIS is how this game should be played and so we played the same way. Some people like those are still here and throughout the years they've accustomed to playing like before. They expect a challenge, teamwork, enemy resistance...

At some unknown moment and for unknown reason (maybe since EP7 hype?) the new, fresh population of players arrived. As they haven't heard about MBII before and have most likely come here after having tried battlefront, one can suppose that these are the players that are more of a casual playstyle and another kind of having fun. And that fun doesn't involve trying to kill enemies, doing objectives, teamwork. It involves fucking around and chatting. So nowadays, when new players arrive, what do they see? 15/32 people on the server are SS7 guys just fucking around, crouching, taunting and spamming voice commands. What does the player decide? Just like us in ancient times, he thinks that this is how the game is played. The players who expected some competitive gameplay leave and MBII is left with people who tolerate this kind of behaviour and later may join the SS7 ranks.

So me and other "tryhards" nowadays just play "our" game just like it was played before. This is my fun. I get fun from having a challenge. But for the majority of the modern players, I'm a tryhard. Alright.

You can see that these are just two different views on the same game. I doubt that forcing punishment on people would do the trick. Involving automated forcespec and, god forgive your soul, tempban with rangeban is never a good idea. I think that the easiest solution would be to popularize the old gameplay style as it was before. Organizing competitive events, streaming PUGs and scrims... Give them some taste of another MBII. So that people who come to this game and seek challenge can actually SEE that there's some for them and it's not just 15/32 people trolling and hugging each other. The point is not to get rid of trolls and people who think that this gameplay is how the MBII is played, but to get them interested in the competitive gameplay. Because nowadays what they see is some salty ego score tryhards just not letting them PLAY THE GAME AS IT SHOULD BE PLAYED (hugging and spamming crouch).

I'll let myself advertise the discord server where the PUGs are organized weekly (or, if we have more people, more often).

Don't be scared of Russian, pug-related conversations are always held in English. There are two channels dedicated to PUGs and they're hidden unless you have a "PUG'ers" role. Feel free to ask moderators, admins or ad.ppl clan members to give you this role, should you be interested.

It would also be cool to have an official promotion to the PUGs with like streaming and stuff. To be thought on :p

Karus

Donator
The way I see it, different people just expect something different from MB2 all the time. Some want to play for objectives, kills, whatever while others just want to joke about and have fun.

And I don't think it's surprising that some don't take MB2 seriously anymore seeing that Open mode has surpassed being a joke and has evolved into being a comedy. Balance has been thrown through a window, down a 50 storey building and left to decompose on the sidewalk for nearly more than a year now. The game isn't fun anymore and if it's not fun, why bother?

This is why I think a seperate mode would be great.
Casual/Competitive, or ranked, for Open play.
Wanna play Open but just for gimmicks? Casual.
Play Open seriously? Competitive.
It's really a no brainer.
At least that way the trolls won't get automatically discriminated against on Open servers if there was a Casual option, lol.

this is not some hugely competitive e sports. i dont get why people take trolling so seriously, give it a try, or get some thicker skin. if you need some safe space in your game then buy your own server and manage it like a nazi, no one will play on it since everyone is banned.
Just because it's not a popular esports title, doesn't mean you can't play it competitively.
It's not about growing thicker skin, or not being a crybaby; it's about not having your gameplay interrupted by some shitty binds player who's not even remotely good at the game in the first place.
Adding onto that point, from what I've seen, the majority of "trolls" on MB2, are GENUINELY bad at the game, which makes me think they only troll because they are bad. They can't play competitively because they get immediately triggered, so trolling others provides more fun for them.
There are a few exceptions, but honestly, most of them just suck and trolling is their way of enjoying the game.
Which, again, is fine, but if it's interrupting skilled players gameplay, that's a bit of a problem tbh.

Before I get flamed by the shit tiers, listen, I find your trolling funny too. But that doesn't take away from the fact that it hinders the core gameplay of MBII, which is the topic here.

Amusing thread. I only want to add my thoughts regarding new players.
And it's definitely not fun to watch new players try to learn the game (a game that might just now before this night have gotten their attention) leave in confusion and hopelessness as they go back to whatever other games they find a lot more entertaining than watching trolls run on walls, nade eachother or tk a guy by accident but get away with it by saying "Oops" x8 times and the admin finding it chuckle-worthy.
I'm not sure if trolls or serious players cause more harm to new players. I'm gonna list a few things that even some of our veteran serious players provide for the new players.
1. When new guy accidentally tks them in open, they will purposely tk the guy back, cause nobody gets away with tking them. Also talk to the new guy as if he was a subhuman, only because he's bad at an old star wars game. Also possibly !report the new player. If the more experienced serious player has admin rights, he might just outright kick the new guy. Optional: label the new player a troll when he tries to explain himself
2. Just generally make a shitty atmosphere for new players by constantly bitching about teams and other things, which I guess frustrates a lot of new players (some older players too).
3. Tell new players to uninstall. Although some could argue that trolls do this (but also some people say "uninstall" with a trolling/joking intent too). But this brings up the complicated question that who are considered trolls? The troll word really lost it's meaning in the last 5-10 years imo. Some players just claim anyone a troll these days for various stupid reasons. I've seen a few times in game that both players deemed the other one as a troll, and then proceeded to ignore each other. Also a common mistake that people judge someone as a troll, who's just simply being a dick.
4. In FA, if a new guy dares to "steal" their class, they immediately tk him, adding some nice comments to it, just to make sure, they won't do it again.
4b. In case if the new guy picked the good class first, then keep telling him every 10 seconds in chat that he's very bad at this game and that he should really just stop using that class and let someone good like himself take it. Possibly just tk the new guy in this case too and take the class.

Now to keep this realatively short, I won't list more. Sure trolls can make new players' game experience really bad with let's say a 5 minutes time wasted round, but "normal/serious" players can ruin the experience of new players in various ways, so the issue of new players shouldn't be brought up in this thread.

Take everything what I said with a grain of salt, cause I know I'm also considered a half-troll or troll by a lot of people for the way I play the game.

Karus

Donator
When new guy accidentally tks them in open, they will purposely tk the guy back, cause nobody gets away with tking them.
It's funny, because, trolls actually cause this indirectly. Experienced player gets TK'd by "Padawan". In his eyes, there is no WAY he could have accidentally killed him, so, believing it to be a troll, he !p's and TK's him back the next round. I seriously doubt that people TK "Padawan"'s because they believe NOBODY is allowed to TK them without consequence. Players with ego's that large usually get snuffed out by the community relatively quickly.
Just generally make a shitty atmosphere for new players by constantly bitching about teams and other things, which I guess frustrates a lot of new players
I actually see noobs getting annoyed about teams more often than experienced players. But, even if experienced players were bitching about teams, who the fuck wants to play Open with uneven teams anyway? I don't really see how this causes harm to players.
Tell new players to uninstall.
Oh come on, lol.
In FA, if a new guy dares to "steal" their class, they immediately tk him
Nobody plays FA.

I just gotta applaude the amazing suggestions and feedback in this thread. I think there are some excellent counter-points to my initial post, and I think there are great suggestions in here as well (such as "casual mode" and "competitive mode" and PUGs, official competitions, etc).

I never wanted to define the path forward, I just wanted to make sure the discussion would be held - and that the necessary actions could be taken.

I love a good laugh - and man, sometimes I troll a little myself; but it's the manner in how much is too much, and how it either enhances gameplay or completely, utterly destroys it that are the necessary variables to take into consideration here, to form a better and more fun experience for everyone - perhaps with a little more focus on the new player's.