1.4.5 Sabering Open Beta!

Status
Not open for further replies.
mb2_logo_1.png

Version 1.4.5 Open Beta Changelog
Spaghetti said:
This open beta is focused on testing the saber system. Servers will be kept available until the end of the 22nd. See next post for installation instructions and where to post gameplay feedback (Hint: Not in this thread).

• Change: Sense now has a short buffer after being deactivated so that it doesn't get activated again by accident as easily once it's turned off.
  • Change: Nudge removed from all styles
  • Change: Global BP damage modifier raised from 1.2x to 1.4x
  • Change: Semi-PB removed pending further changes.
  • Change: ACM threshhold doubled. Multipliers adjusted accordingly (so the ratio of ACM:multiplier is still the same).
  • Change: Slap now causes small knockback even when hitting someone that's blocking
  • Fix: Attacks that cause special effects (i.e. staggers, knockbacks, etc) can now trigger the effects on multiple targets instead of just applying to the first one hit
  • Change: Parrying with no BP will cause you to drop your saber
  • Change: Force Repulse is now disabled in Duel mode
  • Fix: Using Force Repulse from the ground no longer causes you to get stuck in weird leg animation loops.
  • Fix/Change: Can no longer start taunt/gloat/flourish/etc animations while holding block/reload with a saber.
  • Fix: Doing specific input combinations with weapon swapping no longer allows for instant attacks
  • Fix: Spectator camera should no longer go partially into terrain
  • Fix: Several (hopefully most) recurring sources of class/join bugs should now be fixed.
  • Updated: Small tweaks to the BP counter in Duel mode aimed at providing a more accurate measurement of the killer's BP
  • Updated: Swing damage adjustments
    • First/full swings: 1.0x, +3 ACM on body hit (if not a counter)
    • Consecutive swings: 0.90x, +1 ACM on body hit
    • Half swings: 0.75x, +2 ACM on body hit
  • Change: BP Regen increased
    • Level 1: Increased from 3 to 4 per tick
    • Level 2: Increased from 5 to 6 per tick
  • Updated: BP drain for attacks moved from being based on button inputs (holding vs tapping) to being flat drains based on style:
    • Blue drains 5 BP per swing.
    • Cyan drains 5 BP per swing.
    • Yellow drains 6 BP per swing.
    • Staff drains 6 BP per swing.
    • Duals drain 7 BP per swing.
    • Purple drains 7 BP per swing
    • Red drains 8 BP per swing.
    • Not swingblocking during the attack will drain an additional 2 BP
  • New: Special moves now cost BP to activate. If you have less than the cost for activating, then you won't be able to use them.
    • Blue Lunge: 10
    • Blue Backstab: 10
    • Staff Backstab: 10
    • Backslash: 10
    • Crouched Backslash: 20
    • Cyan DFA: 10
    • Yellow DFA: 15
    • Red DFA: 15
    • Rollstab: 10
    • Dual Butterfly: 10
    • Staff Forward Butterfly: 15
    • Staff Backflip: 5
    • Staff Left Butterfly: 10
    • Staff Right Butterfly: 10
    • Dual Crouch Kata: 15
    • Staff Crouch Kata: 15
    • Downstab (Single): 5
    • Downstab (Duals): 5
    • Downstab (Staff): 5
    • Duals Front/Back Stabs: 12
    • Duals Side Stabs: 12
    • Purple Crouch Kata: 15
  • Change: FP drains for special moves have been adjusted:
    • Blue Lunge: Reduced from 35 to 20
    • Purple Crouch Kata: Reduced from 45 to 30
  • New: BP related staggers.
    • Reaching a low threshhold of BP (currently 10) will cause you to do a short stagger when body hit.
    • Threshhold increases by 1 per ACM of attacker
    • Threshhold decreases by 1 per ACM of defender
    • Defending with Blue halves the attacker's ACM threshhold bonus
    • Attacking with Blue halves the attacker's ACM threshhold bonus
    • Stronger stances cause longer staggers
  • New: All combo breaks have visual indication in the form of staggers/flinches. Durations of the animations vary depending on the source.
  • Change: Animation/chaining adjustments.
    • No more instant/teleporting consecutive swings
    • Repeated consecutives can no longer be done. However, trying to do the same consecutive swings twice in a row will still allow you to do a halfswing from the same direction or start a consecutive swing from another direction (no self combo breaking when trying to do repeated consecutives).
    • PB counter is no longer instant by default (still retains bonus damage to body hits as well as doubling base parry drains).
    • Rate of swing chaining has been adjusted for each style.
Styles:
  • Blue
    • Swing count of 2
    • Offense Rating: Decreased by 50%
    • Defense Rating: Increased by 5%
    • Drains (9 base + 1 per 2 ACM) BP on PB - Can trigger BP related staggers
    • 20% ACM bonus on specials
    • Loses 3 ACM when body hit
    • Has fast PB counter swings
  • Cyan
    • Swing count of 4
    • Offense Rating: Decreased by 22%
    • Defense Rating: Decreased by 5%
    • All swings can combo break on Perfect Parry
    • Reduces 33% of ACM bonus to parries from opponents
    • 75% damage on consecutive swings
    • Loses 4 ACM when body hit
  • Yellow
    • Offense Rating: Decreased by 8%.
    • Defense Rating: Unchanged
    • Swing count of 4
    • No BP drain for failing Mblock
    • Increases 33% of the ACM bonus to parries to opponents
    • Drains 4 ACM on a PB counter body hit
  • White
    • Swing count of 4
    • Offense Rating: Decreased by 18%
    • Defense Rating: Decreased by 3%
    • Successful Mblock no longer automatically counts as a PB by default
    • Mblock related staggers are buffed compared to other styles
    • Mblock Vs Swingblock
      • Gain 3 ACM
      • Drain 3 ACM
    • Large block radius.
  • Green
    • Offense Rating: Decreased by 10%
    • Swing count of 5
    • All swings 0.75x damage without ACM
    • Special moves have 50% of their ACM multiplier added into their damage
    • Loses 4 ACM on body hit
  • Red
    • Swing count of 3
    • Offense Rating: Decreased by 13%
    • Defense Rating: Decreased by 2%
    • All non-halfswings cause a stagger. Consecutive staggers have reduced durations.
    • Being PB counter body hit drains 2 ACM
    • Doesn't lose BP when Mblocked on swingblocks
  • Purple
    • Swing count of 3
    • Offense Rating: Decreased by 15%
    • Deals (6 + 1 per ACM) BP through PB - Can trigger BP related staggers
    • Being PB counter body hit drains 3 ACM
Raw offense and defense values for the styles for those that care or that are interested:
1.4.4 (public/live):
Offense ratings from highest to lowest: Red (15), Purple (13), Yellow (12), Staff (11), Duals (10), Cyan (9), Blue (8)
Defense ratings from highest to lowest: Blue (60), Staff (59), Cyan (58), Yellow (56), Duals (54), Purple (52), Red (50)
1.4.5 open beta:
Offense ratings from highest to lowest: Red (13), Purple (11), Yellow (11), Staff (9), Duals (9), Cyan (7), Blue (4)
Defense ratings from highest to lowest: Blue (63), Staff (57), Yellow (56), Duals (55), Cyan (53), Purple (52), Red (49)

Changelog Legend
New - New feature or addition to the game.
Change - Changes to the game.
Fix - Bug fix.
Remove - Removed feature.
Feature - New feature name

Last edited by a moderator:

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
You're arguing that 1.4 was *functional*, and I'm arguing that 1.3 was just as functional. 1.4 needlessly added more defensive/offensive mechanics. PB counter was, and still is, an overpowered mechanic. Nudge is just as broken of a mechanic. The issue is that these things were not necessary, they practically canceled each other out, but shifted the mechanics of 1.3 into a forced version of offense/defense as we have now. The main issue I had with 1.4, was that it needlessly overhauled the mechanics, but completely broke the balance. Yes, 1.4.3 is really *really* bad in the way that swing costs are insane, which Tempest has had problems with understanding that "Killing yourself by trying to kill the opponent is bad design", and hopefully he finally gets. Despite that, public is currently more balanced than 1.4 ever was.

I agree, this patch, 1.4.3+, is terrible. However it isn't nearly as imbalanced as 1.4 was, and ontop of that, I never saw the point of 1.4 anyway. 1.3 worked, it had all of the features you're talking about. The mechanics that were added with 1.4 over 1.3, were semi-PB, PB-Counter, and Nudge. NONE of these things are good. So the reason why I hate 1.4, is because it needlessly added broken mechanics, AND it skewed the balance entirely.

Seriously, look at what was changed between 1.3 and 1.4. Literally all of the things you're really complaining about, weren't a problem in 1.3. Parries weren't a problem, PB counter didn't exist, styles were relatively balanced, there was no semi-PB, there was no nudge, and fights were over in seconds as opposed to decades. Why do I think 1.4 is bad? Because it was a pointless patch that just made everything slightly worse, rather than better. It introduced more problems, rather than solve existing ones.

So in essence, yes, public sucks ass, but atleast it is more balanced than 1.4. It is almost a personal vendetta for me against 1.4, to be perfectly honest, because I see it as the most pointlessly redundant patch in the universe, because it literally did *nothing* to make the saber system better than it was in 1.3, it just added more shitty mechanics that are summarily being removed. Which is why I hate the idea of Tempest keeping Semi-PB and adding a new block.. redundancy and pointlessness when what we already have does the job.

Last edited:

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
You're arguing that 1.4 was *functional*, and I'm arguing that 1.3 was just as functional. 1.4 needlessly added more defensive/offensive mechanics. PB counter was, and still is, an overpowered mechanic. Nudge is just as broken of a mechanic. The issue is that these things were not necessary, they practically canceled each other out, but shifted the mechanics of 1.3 into a forced version of offense/defense as we have now. The main issue I had with 1.4, was that it needlessly overhauled the mechanics, but completely broke the balance. Yes, 1.4.3 is really *really* bad in the way that swing costs are insane, which Tempest has had problems with understanding that "Killing yourself by trying to kill the opponent is bad design", and hopefully he finally gets. Despite that, public is currently more balanced than 1.4 ever was.

I agree, this patch, 1.4.3+, is terrible. However it isn't nearly as imbalanced as 1.4 was, and ontop of that, I never saw the point of 1.4 anyway. 1.3 worked, it had all of the features you're talking about. The mechanics that were added with 1.4 over 1.3, were semi-PB, PB-Counter, and Nudge. NONE of these things are good. So the reason why I hate 1.4, is because it needlessly added broken mechanics, AND it skewed the balance entirely.

Seriously, look at what was changed between 1.3 and 1.4. Literally all of the things you're really complaining about, weren't a problem in 1.3. Parries weren't a problem, PB counter didn't exist, styles were relatively balanced, there was no semi-PB, there was no nudge, and fights were over in seconds as opposed to decades. Why do I think 1.4 is bad? Because it was a pointless patch that just made everything slightly worse, rather than better. It introduced more problems, rather than solve existing ones.

So in essence, yes, public sucks ass, but atleast it is more balanced than 1.4. It is almost a personal vendetta for me against 1.4, to be perfectly honest, because I see it as the most pointlessly redundant patch in the universe, because it literally did *nothing* to make the saber system better than it was in 1.3, it just added more shitty mechanics that are summarily being removed. Which is why I hate the idea of Tempest keeping Semi-PB and adding a new block.. redundancy and pointlessness when what we already have does the job.

I wasn't talking about 1.3 at all. If I read this right, you're saying public sucks but is better than 1.4? I was afraid this would happen. You've not responded to my post and just said 1.3 is bestest lul which wasn't even the target of any discussion between us at this time. Also, I think a claim like "1.4.4 is more balanced than 1.4", requires substantial exposition in order to possibly justify, but I don't see any of that in your post whereas I gave many reasons for my pov. But I am not going to reiterate the points I made in my post, you can simply read it. I was purely talking about why I think 1.4 is a better sabering system compared with 1.4.3 and 1.4.4 and this is the entire focus of my post. At no point did I even dip my little finger into any comparison between 1.3 and 1.4 and I made several hedges about 1.4 and never said it was super duper, just that its simply better than 1.4.3 and 1.4.4, which was the whole point of the post and the thing about which you asked me to elaborate. I think talking 1.3 vs 1.4 with you is completely wasteful because in your eyes 1.3 can do no wrong. You got on dem rose tinted glasses. I'm constantly talking about flaws and I'm not glorifying anything. I don't really think 1.4 was super good, just that 1.4.3 and 1.4.4 did some things so utterly wrong that 1.4 automatically became a far better build imo.

The reason why am hesitant to talk saber systems with you achilles, is because you do 2 things constantly that are not very productive. First, you always mention 1.3 and say its the best. Then you make unfounded statements without explaining your logic. These two things cannot be argued with and stating them over and over again does not constitute an argument, merely the iteration of a robot on repeat, which is not very useful for furthering the sabering system. Saying something is good or bad is not enough to constitute constructive criticism, it's not useful in most cases. You absolutely have to elaborate on your statements and explain why they are right, not just repeat your opinion over and over again without any reasoning behind it. That is shallow and unhelpful. Why is 1.4 bad in your opinion? You will talk about yellow PB acm drain perk, tankiness and the fact that cyan was ruined or smth like that. However, just saying yellow PB perk bad lulul, is not enough. Do you understand this point? Why is it bad? You have to explain these things and actually put forth arguments. As it happens. I like PB perks in general because they encourage skillful play. Now for this to be constructive you'd have to make a lengthy post and explain to me why you think PB perks are bad (if that is be premise being argued about). Instead what you do when confronted with my arguments is to state your original opinion without elaborating, thus producing nothing of worth and being utterly useless. This is why I told you previously that talking with you is a waste of time and my opinion so far hasn't changed.

If you now download version 1.3 and play it again, which I personally did, you will notice that 1.3 has a better flow than all 1.4.2+ builds. I must agree with Achilles that there were only a few things to take care of when it comes to 1.3, i.e. broken cyan and red style.
Nevertheless, let's wait for Tempest to finish his work, and please remember that he put a lot of effort and time in creating the upcoming patch.

Edit: I meant all 1.4+, sorry.

Last edited:

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
And I disagree with you on 1.4 being better than 1.4.3+, because while 1.4.3+ is garbage, it is still better balanced than 1.4 by a wide margin.

M

Mooch

yeah true, everyone's been waiting a long time for this. they should just release what they have now because if they just keep going on "fine-tuning" and fixing the update then it will just go on forever and forever. no need for any update to ever take this long in my opinion.

after seeing one awful rushed AAA game after the other in today's game industry i would much rather them take their time and ensure that this system actually works and isn't some buggy, busted pile of shit

but that's just my opinion

i wouldn't want the teras kasi update to be rushjobbed either and i know people care about sabers more than they care about fists

Karus

Donator
I guess you guys are right, it's probably going to be worth the wait.
Wow... you know you're a virgin when you're getting sexually excited over a saber patch. Fml.

Antraxo

Donator
Any news about this update? It seems to change many things to the better so I'm kinda excited for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.