1.4.5 Open Beta General Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
All general gameplay feedback for the current open beta should be posted in this thread. Any discussions related to dueling should go here.

Remember to follow the code of conduct and posting guidelines. Off topic posts will be deleted without warning. Please keep back and forth debating to a minimum as it makes parsing feedback much more difficult.

• Fix/Change: Can no longer start taunt/gloat/flourish/etc animations while holding block/reload with a saber.
This apparently is not only affecting sabers, it also stops taunt/gloat spam while in melee holding down the alt attack key/kick.

Soldiers also seem to have Close Combat level 2 available to purchase in open mode.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
How come the Beta is using old gun stuff like CC2 Soldier and uncapped FP drains (proj shotgun)?

Anyway, there's a huge gunbug where a large percentage of shots made in IDR "stick" to a block on-hit and hit over and over each frame until the saberist's FP is completely gone and they get hit.

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
Hadn't merged into master while working on saber changes so that's on me. Getting that sorted out currently.

A lot of fun so far, I really like it! Altho I didn't test all saber styles, it seems to feel quite more right now. Also Is it normal that we can now repick 3 saber style in builds from beta, like few patches ago? Instead of 2 like in the current version from the normal launcher? Anyway keep up the good work, all of this is much appreciated.

Sorry for double post by the way!

Last edited:

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
A lot of fun so far, I really like it! Altho I didn't test all saber styles, it seems to feel quite more right now. Also Is it normal that we can now repick 3 saber style in builds from beta, like few patches ago? Instead of 2 like in the current version from the normal launcher? Anyway keep up the good work, all of this is much appreciated.

Sorry for double post by the way!
Not sure what you mean about the picking saber styles. I don't remember only being limited to 2 styles being a thing.

Something I wanted to bring up after talking with Sev was the idea of keeping nudge in but just for vs gunners/non-saber stuff. This would likely help offset the slower speeds of the chaining without making it too easy for saberists to kill gunners in exchange.

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
Something I wanted to bring up after talking with Sev was the idea of keeping nudge in but just for vs gunners/non-saber stuff. This would likely help offset the slower speeds of the chaining without making it too easy for saberists to kill gunners in exchange.
How would that work? Nudge on anything other than red/purple and maybe yellow is too powerful IMO. It would be an odd mechanic to have nudge be based on what weapon your opponent is holding. I think it would make more sense to modify flinch mechanics slightly based on what style you're using. Red and purple are really the only styles that need additional help to be viable in open mode. Something like red/purple require 2 shots to flinch, or require x dmg to flinch.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
How would that work? Nudge on anything other than red/purple and maybe yellow is too powerful IMO. It would be an odd mechanic to have nudge be based on what weapon your opponent is holding. I think it would make more sense to modify flinch mechanics slightly based on what style you're using. Red and purple are really the only styles that need additional help to be viable in open mode. Something like red/purple require 2 shots to flinch, or require x dmg to flinch.

Yes, that is the point.

Return to 1.4.4 state jedi vs gunner with Nudge on slow styles that need it.
Or start modifying and tweaking open mode again somehow.
Or leave as is, and force players to use cyan/yellow/duals.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Yes, that is the point.

Return to 1.4.4 state jedi vs gunner with Nudge on slow styles that need it.
Or start modifying and tweaking open mode again somehow.

Some good ol' fashioned open-mode saber perks seem to be in order. :D

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Is there anything actually wrong with this? Similarly, is it wrong for Red style to perhaps be so slow that it's not good in single duels?

Stated more broadly: Is it bad for styles to be strongly specialized rather than broadly viable? If Red style is kept as is, it's still very strong if you're a group of Sith and you just want to slam jam rather than dueling. It's the "use brute force" option. And having slow styles be actually awful against gunners just means that a serious saberist has a seriously compelling reason to buy an array of saber styles and switch on the fly a lot.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Is there anything actually wrong with this? Similarly, is it wrong for Red style to perhaps be so slow that it's not good in single duels?

Stated more broadly: Is it bad for styles to be strongly specialized rather than broadly viable? If Red style is kept as is, it's still very strong if you're a group of Sith and you just want to slam jam rather than dueling. It's the "use brute force" option. And having slow styles be actually awful against gunners just means that a serious saberist has a seriously compelling reason to buy an array of saber styles and switch on the fly a lot.

All the styles need to be some-what viable against gunners, and especially viable in duels. However, I do enjoy the idea of specialized styles with perks in open mode having different playstyles with them, excelling in some areas more than other styles. Yellow, should be the jack of all trades master of none default, though, and should be cheapest.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
All the styles need to be some-what viable against gunners
Yes, yes, but what if No?

y'know, what if. What if it was actually basically standard to either take Yellow (because it's balanced) or take a blend of very distinctly-weighted styles that balance each other out.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
then you'd actually see a lot of very necessary switching-styles-to-accomodate-the-situation. It would add a cool dynamic. Rather than "use whatever style you feel like (and use cyan to fuck up gunners)." By adding this major incentive to buy a whole array of style, there would be more of a question of "do you want to be strong through saber or through force powers."

although with lightning 1 being what it is right now, it would still be super easy to do both. Certainly i'm looking forward to the phase of tweaking force powers and other stuff after this

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team

It's not inherently a bad thing. However, the current goal seems to be to have all styles be of equal value for saber vs saber, so every style also needs to be equally viable vs guns (or have a decreased price I suppose). Otherwise, the styles that aren't as viable for saber vs gun become a waste of points when you could pick another style that's effective for both saber vs saber and saber vs gun.

I think having styles be strongly specialized would be far more interesting, but that would also require some styles to be objectively better than others for dueling as well, which is probably the opposite direction from the current development direction.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
It's not inherently a bad thing. However, the current goal seems to be to have all styles be of equal value for saber vs saber, so every style also needs to be equally viable vs guns (or have a decreased price I suppose). Otherwise, the styles that aren't as viable for saber vs gun become a waste of points when you could pick another style that's effective for both saber vs saber and saber vs gun.

I think having styles be strongly specialized would be far more interesting, but that would also require some styles to be objectively better than others for dueling as well, which is probably the opposite direction from the current development direction.

As stated, and done before, you can have open-mode perks not related towards sabering that specializes them against gunners. Slower styles would be oriented towards fighting the slower heavier classes (sort of as they are now) and would be made to be highly aggressive through perks. Blue defensive, Cyan evasive, Duals/Staff aggressively fast, Yellow balanced, Red full aggressive-tank, Purple measured powerhouse.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
If you're going to have anti-gunner perks for saber then I would plead for devs to add extremely distinct running animations for each style so there's never a mystery of which stance/perk is screaming down a hall at you.

I'd rather have distinct blocking animations, so that the gunners AND the saberists know who they're up against, far better than what we have now. You honestly only need to distinguish Cyan/Purple.

Perhaps distinguish them like the following :D
Cyan:
50359_1.jpg

4774043-2640491926-28806.jpg

Purple:
hqdefault.jpg

Star-Wars-countdown--Vader-Season-2.png

While someone is at it, we could have better Staff/Dual block stances:

latest

DaloLorn

Movie Battles II Team Retired
Yes, yes, but what if No?

y'know, what if. What if it was actually basically standard to either take Yellow (because it's balanced) or take a blend of very distinctly-weighted styles that balance each other out.

The blend would either have to have a very measurable advantage to offset the increased cost, or have the same net cost as yellow. Simply taking a mixture of the current beta styles does not seem particularly practical in a non-duel environment unless you are the god of flinch avoidance and don't need Force powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.