OpenJK vs JAMP

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
This thread is directly mainly to the devs, but feel free to add input if you have an answer! I have a few questions regarding this topic. :D

1.) What exactly is OpenJK? (How does MBII launch from it, do you need JAMP to use it?)
2.) What are the pros/cons of using OpenJK compared to JAMP?
3.) What would you recommend using?

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
1. OpenJK is a project that is intended to improve the performance of the game engine that JKA and JKO are run on.
2. Better optimization, fewer bugs.
3. At the moment I can't tell a real difference when comparing performance between JAMP and OpenJK. The thing that OpenJK does offer is improved fullscreen.

ent

Movie Battles II Team
1. OpenJK is an open source engine modification. You do not need jamp to use ojk.
2. Pros:
- fixed client side bugs and exploits
- in active development so if you find an issue the ojk contributors will fix it asap
- you can make your own client modification of ojk with pazaak and twi'leks
- new colours for text: grey and orange (will be visible just for you and other ojk users)
Cons:
- uses own config openjk.cfg so all settings will be reset to defaults (on the first launch), so when switching between engines you gonna face weird behaviors of unexpected configurations
- you have to write commands fully to count it as a command (else it will go into chat), so typing q and ENTER won't quit the game
- working directory is placed in My Games or something and everything will be saved there (screenshots, configs, demos etc) (to fix it you need manually add +set fs_homepath "." to startup)
- it is lacking of some features like ratio fix support (though they started adding it recently, but not completed), so everything looks stretched in the game
3. jaMME :p, because it brings most of ojk fixes and doesn't have ojk cons so it works like extended jamp.

More of a red hair kind of person so openJK knows what I like but JAMP is really down to earth and puts all her effort into things.
I can't decide, do I go with looks openJK or brains JAMP.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
More of a red hair kind of person so openJK knows what I like but JAMP is really down to earth and puts all her effort into things.
I can't decide, do I go with looks openJK or brains JAMP.
Maybe I'll have to try out OpenJK

ive been enjoying openjk except for the non quick console commands, and (i assume because of open jk) you cant hold block while opening console

Cat Lady

3. jaMME :p, because it brings most of ojk fixes and doesn't have ojk cons so it works like extended jamp.

Isn't jamme based on much older version of OpenJK, though, aka not incorporating all fixes?

ent

Movie Battles II Team
It is based on like 3 weeks old ojk which prolly wasn't even named so. And first commits included only all those known common fixes. That's all we need.
I also cherry-picked some important things afterward manually if there were something definitely useful.

Cat Lady

It is pretty bold to assume that all work of OpenJK devs over those years is something "we don't need" anyway, minus the things that you, personally, cherry picked. Well, I have to trust you, for now, will try to cross-check it with openJK changelogs and get opinions of people responsible for those "not needed" changes, for reference, when i get some free time ;)