Alt. Frag Ideas/Changes

Torlo50

Internal Beta Team
As we all know, the Alt. Frag ability is quite powerful. Too powerful, since their really isn't a way to react fast enough to avoid it, and it basically gives a gunner a free hit on a jedi/sith. Sure, long enough throw, and you can push it, but no good gunner will throw a frag at long range as the Alt. Fire. Right now, I wanted to see what the community might come up with. So, I'm making a list in the OP here that will be edited whenever someone adds an idea, regardless of my own personal bias. That being said, I am adding my own ideas to the list. Of course, keep in mind this is completely unofficial and to help give the Devs ideas, nothing here will be implemented straight or any such nonsense. Brainstorming session to include as many people as possible is all. (On that note, I may have noticed the Road-Map tab on Trello is in the conception phase, hence this brainstorm. More brains on the task might make it easier, or at least throw ideas and banter about.)

1. Alt. Frag does not explode on impact with objects. It instead detonates on the enemy. However, the big change is this: Make the grenade not explode but on a lengthy timer, and turn it into a sort of mine. Keep the grenade push-able. Jedi/Sith can push it at each other like a hockey puck. Make it so it forces a sideways roll or otherwise prevents quick-getup, to keep it useful.
  2. Keep functionality the same, but have a 2-3 second timer. (Liniyka_xddd)
  3. Make the Alt. Frag the concussion nade. Replace the concussion grenade with a stun grenade, like a flashbang or smoke grenade to make breaching easier. (Achilles)

On another note, I'm putting up a pole to see if people like these brainstorming sessions. Maybe one of your ideas will contribute to the Mod! Have a good day, whatever your time zone, and take care.

Last edited:
I disagree entirely, and I think the conc nades are very good as they are. They're the grenade you want against Jedi or Sith, the ability to prime them makes them unpredictable and harder to push. I see alt frags get pushed all the time even in close ranges, and when you're slightly further away it becomes extremely easy. If you and the thrower are so close by that it becomes nearly impossible to react, you still have options - be acrobatic and use your force jump. Get close enough to him and you will both be knocked down if he decides to throw, ez win.

As for gunners vs gunners, they all have access to grenades or other knockdown abilities like blob, so it makes no difference. Personally, I always to prefer to take dodge or other abilities when available over frag grenades, as they're hardly the instakill weapons of mass destruction you imply they are and you can only use them once or twice.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Like Tylenol said altfrags are a 1-time use ability. We really can't nerf their core impact much without making them useless altogether. The best approach would be maybe a slight nerf, while more importantly making them require more skill to land. Turning them into concs does accomplish that but maybe there are other options, so that we don't need to touch concs which are in a good place. Random ideas: requiring a direct hit to score a knockdown, otherwise knockback. Or no knockdown but high damage on direct hit and moderate AOE damage.

Requiring a direct hit isn't a skill, that is relying on luck. You'll never hit someone strafing with an alt frag directly on the basis of 'skill'. It is literally impossible with how MB2 works. You can't even hit someone strafing consistently with blaster, let alone a throwable.

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Requiring a direct hit isn't a skill, that is relying on luck. You'll never hit someone strafing with an alt frag directly on the basis of 'skill'. It is literally impossible with how MB2 works. You can't even hit someone strafing consistently with blaster, let alone a throwable.
Obviously, it'd only be meant to hit consistently at close range, and then yes it'd be consistent (as a projectile, a frag nade has a decent hitbox). You wouldn't really want to waste an ability with 1-2 ammo on a middle-long range hit with a less than 10% chance of hitting unless you're relying on other factors to make sure it hits (i.e. opponent not having noticed you and thus not actively trying to dodge), and it'd be OP if it had more chance of hitting at anything but super close range.

Sec-nade is fine.
With all due respect, posting opinions without reasoning in a situation where there is an actual disscuss doesn't assist anyone. It would be preferable if you gave a further explanation or reasoning to why you think so.

Last edited:

Torlo50

Internal Beta Team
Random ideas: requiring a direct hit to score a knockdown, otherwise knockback. Or no knockdown but high damage on direct hit and moderate AOE damage.
This would be interesting, and keep in touch with the main throw of the frag grenade anyways. I'll add it to the list. Though, would need some exsternsive testing to see how powerful it is.

How is it pointless? If it CAN be pushed, doesn't mean it WILL be pushed. Other grenades and rockets are also pushable, but that doesn't make them useless. Dealing with sith is a part of breaching, just like throwing nades and suppressing gunners.

Since we're getting into theoretical here, I'm going with what is the most likely option, and that is that the enemy team will have a push ability on a sith/jedi whenever throwing a grenade, especially through a door. It is, statistically, almost guaranteed on medium pop servers. Any good player worth their light-saber will push it. Assuming they screw up is not going to be taken in for balance consideration.

I already addressed it bro. It's because rebels attack on most maps, and imps defend. That's why rebs have sonics, and imps - fire nades.

The reason I went back to this, is that rebel's may attack on the most popular maps, but by no means is there a small amount of maps where Imps attack. Since the maps you happen to play the most have rebels attacking, will not be taken into consideration for balance. It needs to be balanced no matter who is on what side. It simply doesn't matter who is on what side. Balance is about taking in the whole picture, and not just parts. (ie. all the maps, not just the ones you play) For instance, Hoth, Mustufar, Jakku, Jedi Temple, Republic Cruiser all have IMPs attacking an objective.

I don't mind the current alt frag, but stun/smoke grenades sounds interesting.