Semi-Authentic

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
We have a game mode that has been sitting unused for a long time.

The world of gaming has been changing as time has flown by. New game modes keep popping up and winning formulas are invented. One of these is that of the Hero Brawler. Technically you could consider that we're close to a Hero Brawler as is with our setup. We have the opportunity to create something that puts any other Hero Brawler to shame with our vast FA system and basket of features and art assets. Lately I've been thinking if we should go even harder on this.

Semi-authentic could be formatted into a weird combination of FA and Open. Take FAs per-character templates and combine it with Open mode's freedom of being who you want to be no matter the map's timeline

Core spec

Instead of picking your class/model/build, you pick a pre-made character from the entirety of the Star Wars universe.

Initially we'd start off with however many characters we can and with every subsequent patch we'd add in more characters until we cover most of the Star Wars universe.

The big benefit to this is that we could add literally anyone to the game without worrying if it feels shoe-horned to an existing class template. For example Yoda and General Grievous are somewhat weird fits for Open mode. Yoda is small, so it would be unfair to have him included in the current mode without any drawbacks. Grievous is not a force-user and wields 4 lightsabers so it's somewhat odd seeing him run around using Force Grip.

For Semi-Authentic we could do all the characters while giving them the justice they deserve.

Examples of characters that could be included in the roster:
  • Yoda
    • 50 HP
    • 200 FP
    • Cyan
    • Jump 3
    • Super Push and Pull
    • Seeing 3
    • Heal 3
    • Model scale 0.5
  • R2D2
    • 150 HP
    • Rocket boosters (Jetpack that regenerates)
    • Can't jump
    • Fast hacking
    • Flamethrower
    • Shock arm (Lightning 1)
    • Repair (Ability to heal droids)
    • Self-repair (Hero's Heal 3)
    • Model scale 0.4
  • General Grievous
    • 100 HP / 100 Armour
    • 50 FP
    • Duals (Modded with custom hilts to give him 4 sabers)
    • Jump 3
    • Hold-out blaster
    • Magnetic plating
    • Model scale 1.2
  • K2-SO
    • 200 HP
    • Blaster Pistol (Pistol 3)
    • Strength 2
    • Magnetic Plating
    • Appears on enemy radar as an ally
    • Model scale 1.1
  • B1 Battledroid
    • 40 HP / 25 Armour
    • Level 1 Blaster Rifle
    • 5 Lives
    • Model scale 0.95
  • Darth Sidious
    • 100 HP
    • 200 FP
    • Lightning 3
    • Seeing 3
    • Purple
    • Defense 2
  • Kyle Katarn
    • 100 HP / 25 Armour
    • Push 2
    • Pull 2
    • Lightning 2
    • Mindtrick 2
    • Jump 2
    • Yellow
    • Bryar Pistol (Pistol 3)
    • Defense 3
  • Pre Vizsla
    • 100 HP / 100 Armour
    • Dual Westars
    • Dark Saber
    • Defense 1
    • 30 FP
    • Jetpack
  • Kylo Ren
    • 120 HP
    • Cyan and Purple (Attack Power modifier 1.1)
    • Increased melee damage
    • Defense 2
    • Force Push 2
    • Force Pull 2
    • Force Stasis (New ability that can stop bullets or players, but requires continued channeling)
    • Rage (A lightsaber-based variant of Wookiee Fury)
The sky is the limit and we could have a lot of fun experimenting with all these different characters and how they could be made to synergize. To keep everything in balance, we can create compelling weaknesses and strengths to every character.

Obviously this mode wouldn't have a lot of customization. Perhaps we could allow some variation within characters eventually with multiple skins/hilts/weapons for a single character where possible inside the boundaries of the lore (eg. Darth Maul Ep1 with staff or Darth Maul robolegs with single red saber or dark saber)

I'd love to work on something like this. It feels like it would be a logical continuum to MB2's evolution and a lot of fun to expand upon for years to come. Before I start working, I'd love to hear if you'd love to see something like this and what kind of additional ideas people have. I don't want to work on something that people wouldn't be looking forward to :D

also, variety. If I'm playing as a clone commando, on a RC map, I'd expect it to have the equipment of an arc, not of another class

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I'd only play it if the models enabled were authentic to the map played. for example, no stormtroopers on dotf. only naboo guards and droids.
at that point it would just be FA, era only seems fair to be semi authentic, with a range of models to pick from

I always prefered FA due to its consistency with Star Wars (sizes, powers, weaponry, etc.) whereas Open had its "competetive balance" limits. Now we can have different weapons, powers, techniques, attributes, heights for different characters while maintaining some of Open's good aspects. Wouldn't mind some character customization as well, but that might be too much work for so many characters.

I don't mind combining all eras into one, but I don't mind it being a server setting neither. Just give me a big Desann with his big dildo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

Last edited:
@GoodOl'Ben , is the following description of SA accurate?
In Semi-Authentic (SA), the classes are limited to choosing the "skins" of the people who actually appeared within the time-period that the map takes place in. Players may still allocate points as they deem fit.

I found it at the mb2 wiki

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
@GoodOl'Ben , is the following description of SA accurate?
In Semi-Authentic (SA), the classes are limited to choosing the "skins" of the people who actually appeared within the time-period that the map takes place in. Players may still allocate points as they deem fit.

I found it at the mb2 wiki
For the current version yeah. Nobody plays it, so I figured it might as well be scrapped in favour of something new.

The new version would allow you to pick anyone from the saga, but you'd get to pick from a wide array of characters that benefit from the FA character templating system's flexibility. Think DOTA2-style immense character roster that keeps expanding. Just no ultimate abilities or anything of the sort. Just picking a hero or a villain character with their trademark looks, abilities and weapons.

I'd only play it if the models enabled were authentic to the map played. for example, no stormtroopers on dotf. only naboo guards and droids.
This sounds like FA though.

Nobody plays it because it's broken(doesn't work at all). Although the current version is bugged, I'd like to see it working before the new version you're proposing is implemented

Even when semi-authentic was working, nobody played it.
Sometimes the limitation of classes made it favour one faction over the other.

I'm writing about B era. Around B19 or RC1 there used to be a server set to semi-authentic. It was empty most of the time, tho sometimes a few people gathered around to try it, me included.

I'm writing about B era. Around B19 or RC1 there used to be a server set to semi-authentic. It was empty most of the time, tho sometimes a few people gathered around to try it, me included.
I've seen 4 servers in RC3 P4 with active players at least a few times weekly, it completely died with v0

Torlo50

Internal Beta Team
Hmm, now, this is a thought. I would love it. Now, I like to RP from time to time, and this would allow this. It would allow for the memerrs, the trolls, the RPers, and the people just wanting to have a good time, without, if you excuse the term, try-harding. My only thing is map obj's should be modified. This sounds like it would be great for a Team Death-match sort of game-play, while Open is totally an Objective Game Mode. I would totally play an FA TMD. It would be great! I would love to screws around with the B-1. Just make sure the voice lines run properly, I know we have been having an issue with that lately with FA characters on a few maps. Other then that.. great idea!

So its Open but every character has their own weapons, skills and gadgets?
Sounds great, since I always liked FA more than Open, but was annoyed by the class restriction.
I already can see the Yoda and Palpatine trolls wreak havoc together.^^

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Managed to get this working. Post your favorite FA characters! Need inspiration ;)

k4far

Banned
Donator
Pre Vizsla!!

Signature dark saber, wrist launcher with grappling hook and projectiles, grenades. Jetpack!

I would give him Jump 2 with Arc's stamina, 4 conc grenades you would be throwing 2 at once, better jetpack with less restrictions more responsive, wrist line launcher so you can haul somebody with you, twin pistols. If you can mix the jump 2 move set with freedom of using a jetpack like he could do a short wallrun with a jetpack not turned off. Mix those two things freely it would be interesting. Dark saber needs own separate stance imo. You can also give him old sbd's zoom if he gets a helmet. It was removed from sbd at some point he can have it.

Torlo50

Internal Beta Team
Anakin. Like the child Anakin. He gets sense, jump, and full melee combat. Maybe a couple of respawns to balance this out.

k4far

Banned
Donator
Watto Mandalorian reskin he would be flapping his wing with jetpack activated and the only quote "only money".