Semi-Authentic

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
We have a game mode that has been sitting unused for a long time.

The world of gaming has been changing as time has flown by. New game modes keep popping up and winning formulas are invented. One of these is that of the Hero Brawler. Technically you could consider that we're close to a Hero Brawler as is with our setup. We have the opportunity to create something that puts any other Hero Brawler to shame with our vast FA system and basket of features and art assets. Lately I've been thinking if we should go even harder on this.

Semi-authentic could be formatted into a weird combination of FA and Open. Take FAs per-character templates and combine it with Open mode's freedom of being who you want to be no matter the map's timeline

Core spec

Instead of picking your class/model/build, you pick a pre-made character from the entirety of the Star Wars universe.

Initially we'd start off with however many characters we can and with every subsequent patch we'd add in more characters until we cover most of the Star Wars universe.

The big benefit to this is that we could add literally anyone to the game without worrying if it feels shoe-horned to an existing class template. For example Yoda and General Grievous are somewhat weird fits for Open mode. Yoda is small, so it would be unfair to have him included in the current mode without any drawbacks. Grievous is not a force-user and wields 4 lightsabers so it's somewhat odd seeing him run around using Force Grip.

For Semi-Authentic we could do all the characters while giving them the justice they deserve.

Examples of characters that could be included in the roster:
  • Yoda
    • 50 HP
    • 200 FP
    • Cyan
    • Jump 3
    • Super Push and Pull
    • Seeing 3
    • Heal 3
    • Model scale 0.5
  • R2D2
    • 150 HP
    • Rocket boosters (Jetpack that regenerates)
    • Can't jump
    • Fast hacking
    • Flamethrower
    • Shock arm (Lightning 1)
    • Repair (Ability to heal droids)
    • Self-repair (Hero's Heal 3)
    • Model scale 0.4
  • General Grievous
    • 100 HP / 100 Armour
    • 50 FP
    • Duals (Modded with custom hilts to give him 4 sabers)
    • Jump 3
    • Hold-out blaster
    • Magnetic plating
    • Model scale 1.2
  • K2-SO
    • 200 HP
    • Blaster Pistol (Pistol 3)
    • Strength 2
    • Magnetic Plating
    • Appears on enemy radar as an ally
    • Model scale 1.1
  • B1 Battledroid
    • 40 HP / 25 Armour
    • Level 1 Blaster Rifle
    • 5 Lives
    • Model scale 0.95
  • Darth Sidious
    • 100 HP
    • 200 FP
    • Lightning 3
    • Seeing 3
    • Purple
    • Defense 2
  • Kyle Katarn
    • 100 HP / 25 Armour
    • Push 2
    • Pull 2
    • Lightning 2
    • Mindtrick 2
    • Jump 2
    • Yellow
    • Bryar Pistol (Pistol 3)
    • Defense 3
  • Pre Vizsla
    • 100 HP / 100 Armour
    • Dual Westars
    • Dark Saber
    • Defense 1
    • 30 FP
    • Jetpack
  • Kylo Ren
    • 120 HP
    • Cyan and Purple (Attack Power modifier 1.1)
    • Increased melee damage
    • Defense 2
    • Force Push 2
    • Force Pull 2
    • Force Stasis (New ability that can stop bullets or players, but requires continued channeling)
    • Rage (A lightsaber-based variant of Wookiee Fury)
The sky is the limit and we could have a lot of fun experimenting with all these different characters and how they could be made to synergize. To keep everything in balance, we can create compelling weaknesses and strengths to every character.

Obviously this mode wouldn't have a lot of customization. Perhaps we could allow some variation within characters eventually with multiple skins/hilts/weapons for a single character where possible inside the boundaries of the lore (eg. Darth Maul Ep1 with staff or Darth Maul robolegs with single red saber or dark saber)

I'd love to work on something like this. It feels like it would be a logical continuum to MB2's evolution and a lot of fun to expand upon for years to come. Before I start working, I'd love to hear if you'd love to see something like this and what kind of additional ideas people have. I don't want to work on something that people wouldn't be looking forward to :D

2v2/3v3/XvX arenas with this would be pretty fun. To keep everything on one server you could do it like base duel. If your group dies, you go into spec., watch the next batch fight and then rejoin as either scrambled teams or preselected. I could see myself playing something like this.

Give it a short round timer and you're golden for something fast-paced.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Sounds very fun, can be great for testing everything before it gets added to Open.
Yes indeed.

Force points to use with Jump ?
And blocking basically.

2v2/3v3/XvX arenas with this would be pretty fun. To keep everything on one server you could do it like base duel. If your group dies, you go into spec., watch the next batch fight and then rejoin as either scrambled teams or preselected. I could see myself playing something like this.

Give it a short round timer and you're golden for something fast-paced.
That's actually a good thought too. Restricting the number of players could be an interesting direction. I would definitely start off simply making this an FA mode where the characters are not map-specific, but creating a more standardized mode of play could be nice in the long run.

k4far

Banned
Donator
@GoodOl'Ben I have idea for character tables. Inspired by trading cards, a little. Check this out what we already have on Wikipedia here and there. More. We will eventually cover all of the classes and then we can start doing cards like Vader's for all characters. It's a lot of work but the effect would a sight to behold. You can then use those for promotional purposes or even do Movie Battles 2 trading cards. It's really cool and I think it would appeal to Star Wars/Movie Battles 2 fan base.

e720368779f23.jpg

Picture by @Lessen (rendered in 4K).

Last edited:
No offense, but this is a kinda pointless thread. An alternate version of the main question: "Do you want to see something new in the mod, which doesnt replace anything, so if you dont like it, you can simply ignore it?". What kind of answer do you expect, "no"? :D
Anyway, this thread is a veeery fancy way to describe another full authentic game mode (which is for some reason called semi authentic here, which is totally not true), where the pre-made classes are not map specific, but everything is available anywhere, Star Wars Battlefront EA style.
Personally I'd add a minimal customization possibility to the classes, even if its a simple toying around the passive attributes (like health, speed, etc.), called "mentality", or "role", or something else. That would help to negate the main problem of the FA game mode, which is the fact that everyone knows the pros and cons of the other classes, so everyone is predictable. Adding this feature, I'd probably come back from the retirement just to try this game mode.

The idea reminds me of another take of the TF2/Overwatch system, I like it, it could possibly replace open for me if it wa sdone right

No offense, but this is a kinda pointless thread. An alternate version of the main question: "Do you want to see something new in the mod, which doesnt replace anything, so if you dont like it, you can simply ignore it?". What kind of answer do you expect, "no"? :D
Anyway, this thread is a veeery fancy way to describe another full authentic game mode (which is for some reason called semi authentic here, which is totally not true), where the pre-made classes are not map specific, but everything is available anywhere, Star Wars Battlefront EA style.
Personally I'd add a minimal customization possibility to the classes, even if its a simple toying around the passive attributes (like health, speed, etc.), called "mentality", or "role", or something else. That would help to negate the main problem of the FA game mode, which is the fact that everyone knows the pros and cons of the other classes, so everyone is predictable. Adding this feature, I'd probably come back from the retirement just to try this game mode.
yea agreed it should've had ideas/or something like that since nobody plays semi authentic

This would be fun if all characters had their appropriate sizes. (Yoda being small and Desann being quite tall e.g.)

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
So basically PowerBattles but only stuff from Star Wars?
Essentially. The Overwatch mode of MB2.

There is a concern of splintering the playerbase of a small mod, so I'd love to see just how many would be excited to play something like this.

You could argue that this is one of the main good points of FA. It simplifies the game for those who know the available characters in and out. Open mode technically involves a lot of scouting to truly read the battlefield. While this is a valuable skill and one factor of complexity in MB2, it's something that could be eased out of in a more relaxed mode.

Some degree of customization could be fun, such as choosing from which iteration of Maul you want to play as and receive subsequent abilities and weapons. Ep1? Clone Wars? Rebels?

This would be fun if all characters had their appropriate sizes. (Yoda being small and Desann being quite tall e.g.)
Exactly!

@GoodOl'Ben IMO the predictable classes/characters is not a good point of the FA game mode. If the classes would be equally strong in FA, then it'd be a good point of course, but its not the case. Every FA has some more powerful characters (with less / no weak points) than the others, and its very easy to exploit the weaker classes' weak points by players with the more powerful classes. Knowledge is power, which is/was overlooked by the community over and over again in the past.
Customizable passive attributes could make significant differences without hurting the "authenticity" of the classes. For example having 0.9 (defensive), 1.0 (basic) or 1.1 (offensive) base speed matters a lot, especially if the enemy doesn't know which value of speed I have. And same goes to other passive attributes, even for ammo. If you bind this or a similar system to different models / skins, you basically take away the element of the surprise (or from the other side: you give knowledge to the other players), so it wouldn't matter much. Different player models / skins should be only cosmetic, nothing more.

I like the idea, however current FAs have quite a lot of issues with balancing since no one has the will/time/knowledge of working on them any further. I fear that might happen to these as well (as with constant updates, some characters would get better/worse)

I'd also recommend making it so that custom Semi-Authenic game modes could be easily available to people who are interested. Not sure how complex making it could be, but custom games would be nice to have

Make Bossk actually Bossk sized and have wook strength. Also about splintering the playerbase, the mod has been dead lately. Only 2 or 3 open servers with decent amounts of people in them. Anyone have any theory why?

k4far

Banned
Donator
Make Bossk actually Bossk sized and have wook strength. Also about splintering the playerbase, the mod has been dead lately. Only 2 or 3 open servers with decent amounts of people in them. Anyone have any theory why?

Please pay closer attention to Jack's tracker, it's around 130 players online everyday. At least it used to be not sure how is it now. I am not playing myself - burnout of sort, just looking forward to a hotfix.

What hours do you play? I came on an hour ago and there were 3 mostly full servers and a couple smaller ones. You probably play at some wierd hours

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I'd like if maps were era specific, with some maps being all eras etc

I'd only play it if the models enabled were authentic to the map played. for example, no stormtroopers on dotf. only naboo guards and droids.