Status
Not open for further replies.
I also want to reiterate what Mace keeps saying here. Literally every dev has ALWAYS listened closely to feedback and made decisions based on it,

06f4e5afb2.png

out of context stassin quote coming through
wheeze

Last edited:

DaloLorn

Movie Battles II Team Retired
i never liked either of the DOTF maps honestly /shrug

I often thought it was overplayed. I still do, to a certain degree, but I also think the map's better now. (For one, the attacking team now stands a chance even when there are snipers everywhere.)

I don't get you guys, old dotf was heavily disliked by almost the whole community and now there are circlejerks about it not being in the game seems dumb
exactly, before dotf rework everyone was crying about how there is only dotf 24/7 servers and that we need more rtv.

Now(at least on EU side) every server is basically RTV with a lot of different maps played all the time and now people crying about dotf not being good enough.
For me personally, the both the old and new dotf have positives and negatives. I liked the old one a tiny bit better but the new one has a lot of pro sides as well.

Has Smee been banned? If so, could a mod explain for which violation?

From what I read, I don't believe Smee has insulted Mace in this topic. Smee has been, in my opinion very stubborn (after talking to him about the whole issue, he told me he didn't read all of Mace's posts, which partially explains Mace's frustration) and he has been misreading the poll (believing being indifferent is the same as disagreeing, granted as Smee told me, a more precise poll "Do you prefer dotfv2 over dotf1" could have been made), but I don't believe Smee should have been banned.

With that being said, I personally feel Mace is unwarrantedly becoming the scapegoat for the dev team as a whole. I agree that straight up deleting the old dotf map was a mistake, but, from what I know, Mace is quite an active dev who listened to many in the community, notably regarding the changes for dotf2.

Furthermore, and although I am personally grateful to everyone in the MBII dev team for dedicating some of their free time towards improving the mod, I feel that other members, such as Stassin, are much more of a problem for MBII than Mace when it comes to the dev team being out of touch with what the community wants. This, however, does not mean in any way it is ok to insult devs in my opinion. While I have voiced in the past that I believe Stassin hears the feedback of many in the community but he does not listen to it, I am still grateful he is trying to make the game better.

With that being said, I believe the release of 1.5 exemplifies the disconnection between the dev team and the community. I personally enjoy the improvements for dueling servers and the faster projective speed in 1.5, much like the majority in the recent poll for the latter, but I do feel like the patch was rushed in order to, for some reason, please new players who came to know about MBII because of the solo movie?

We wanted to get a release going for the Solo movie, without delaying anymore. However open betas still hadn't nearly reached a conclusive state, and there wasn't nearly enough time to do more. Hence intensive internal testing.

The result is that the patch has some very weird changes that were based on very little feedback. In my opinion, and although I don't believe there is a poll on it, I have the conviction that most players aren't happy with red/purple being now overpowered in saberists vs gunner, and red dealing a ton of damage in duels.

Yes you're right making red/purple unflinchable was a last minute tweak in order to make them not 100% useless as flinch was staying.

The idea of rushing a patch that wasn't fully tested for what is arguably the least popular movie (in terms of numbers) is puzzling to me. Why was it so important to get an incomplete patch out by Solo's release, especially as an incomplete patch is likely to be an unstable one that will have some of its elements reworked, giving the feeling to new players that the mod's gameplay is unstable. Although I might be wrong, and the decision to rush the patch could be positive in that it somehow got new players who wouldn't have liked the previous interested in mbii, the decision was still done in spite of any sort of testing by the community.

As a result of decisions like these, and although the patch does, imo, fix many issues based on the community's feedback, many in the community feel like their opinion is not valued, creating resentment within the community that later creates resentment within the dev team.

In conclusion, the wall of text above was meant to say, imo, taking baby steps and making sure the community supports the dev teams' decision through better communication, notably polls, is the way to go. Now I'm not part of the MBII dev and I might be talking out of my ass, but I believe that, since it is impossible to please everyone, the majority should decide what should change in MBII. That does not mean I do not respect and value the opinion of more experienced and/or smarter, more knowledgeable people, but I believe that instead of their opinion being valued more highly than that of other players by the dev team as a whole (like advisors to a monarch), these players should do their best to convince the majority instead. Granted, this means that simply being better at conveying your ideas could mean that your opinion is more important than the opinion of someone who might be a better analyst but is bad at convincing others, but I'm not saying I have the perfect solution.

Having devs that are not representative, in that they do not make decisions that are supported by the majority, just results in a very negative environment where many in the community are dissing the dev team, some devs are doing the same back, some devs leave, and new devs taking changes that are meant to undo what previous devs did. While I might sound pessimistic, I believe the situation is better now than it used to be, while the foundations are not made out of steel, they are stronger than in the 1.4 era imo, so there's progress I'd say.

Last edited:

k4far

Banned
Donator
Smee has been banned from official Discord for sharing the white saber activation method. I will add my 5 cents to this he's been shouting death threats on SF Open. This is outside this thread but really that guy has something with his head.

Smee has been banned from official Discord for sharing the white saber activation method. I will add my 5 cents to this he's been shouting death threats on SF Open. This is outside this thread but really that guy has something with his head.
Plus renaming himself to "Defaint abused his mod powers - Smee" or something along those lines

I don't like either of the dotfs because any map that involves the defending team being given a massive time advantage in setting up defenses (gen timer+mando snipers, immediate access to long hall) combined with long hall multiplied by the variable of long hall is fucking boring to me. There's no ramps to launch off of, almost none of the areas are cqc meaning there's less opportunity for cheeky plays with nades, melee, bodyblocking etc, every location being long means snipers = king which is fucking boring, fyi, and every goddamn corner of the map is fine tuned and perfected so that a jedi can crouch in a corner and wait for you.

Dotf was never good, but at least the old one had gen route being a clusterfuck to make up for it. I could at least have fun going side even if AOD's server is a laggy piece of shit. I'm sitting here playing deathstar, which is a map that transforms the better you are at playing the game, and then I'm playing dotf, which basically doesn't change regardless of how good you are. The skill ceiling here is "stand behind the sand colored dildos for protection from snipers". Exciting.

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Has Smee been banned? If so, could a mod explain for which violation?
Smee decided to respond to my post about mutual respect between the development team and community with disrespect. No bans are permanent but his will remain until he decides he wants to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

With that being said, I personally feel Mace is unwarrantedly becoming the scapegoat for the dev team as a whole. I agree that straight up deleting the old dotf map was a mistake, but, from what I know, Mace is quite an active dev who listened to many in the community, notably regarding the changes for dotf2.

Mace really does a lot behind the scenes than most people realise. Anyway, ultimately the buck stops with me, not Mace.

Furthermore, and although I am personally grateful to everyone in the MBII dev team for dedicating some of their free time towards improving the mod, I feel that other members, such as Stassin, are much more of a problem for MBII than Mace when it comes to the dev team being out of touch with what the community wants. This, however, does not mean in any way it is ok to insult devs in my opinion. While I have voiced in the past that I believe Stassin hears the feedback of many in the community but he does not listen to it, I am still grateful he is trying to make the game better.

I don't really want to talk too much about this because its not fair on stassin. I will say that stassin put a lot of hard work into 1.5, but again ultimately the buck stops with me.

With that being said, I believe the release of 1.5 exemplifies the disconnection between the dev team and the community. I personally enjoy the improvements for dueling servers and the faster projective speed in 1.5, much like the majority in the recent poll for the latter, but I do feel like the patch was rushed in order to, for some reason, please new players who came to know about MBII because of the solo movie?

Since I took over as project lead I've tried to move to a more structured release schedule more inline with the continuous delivery philosophy. It just so happened that our release cadence scheduled a release on the sunday after the Solo release date. We did infact miss this date due to bugs found at the last minute. The idea being than you guys get more regular (but perhaps smaller) updates whilst the development team gains clearer direction and hopefully this will make us better at actually delivering the content that we promise - anyone still waiting for conquest? That was only announced about a decade ago.

The idea of rushing a patch that wasn't fully tested for what is arguably the least popular movie (in terms of numbers) is puzzling to me. Why was it so important to get an incomplete patch out by Solo's release, especially as an incomplete patch is likely to be an unstable one that will have some of its elements reworked, giving the feeling to new players that the mod's gameplay is unstable. Although I might be wrong, and the decision to rush the patch could be positive in that it somehow got new players who wouldn't have liked the previous interested in mbii, the decision was still done in spite of any sort of testing by the community.

The patch received the same amount of testing as previous releases. Yea, we missed some stuff, particularly things that don't start happening until servers are heavily populated (Saber Effects FPS drop, Running out of temp entities), and things that didn't happen due to memory differences in the debug C Runtime (Jedi Temple youngling crash), but these are ongoing challenges and its very possible we could of tested forever without finding these until we were under load. Again, the patch was delayed to fix bugs that appeared at the last minute (We had a nasty Deka crash for example). I don't think there was any particular bump from solo, but it did make a nice dry run with episode 9 in mind.

This is a new way of working that we have to learn as a team and there will be mistakes in the short term for what should be a long term gain as bigger features make their way through the pipeline. The aim it to be able to deliver new stuff and fixes at regular and relatively short intervals rather than leaving things for a few months or even years.

Status
Not open for further replies.