v1.5 increased projectile speeds: discussion

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Alright folks this is a pretty crucial subject for the mod's gameplay, and even though it seemed to receive mostly positive feedback during the previous open betas, hence its addition in v1.5, now the feedback appears to be quite divided on the subject with both very positive and very negative stances.

To reiterate, the projectile speeds have been increased by 15% across the board in the v1.5 release, with the exception of projectile rifle shots and clone blobs (and SBD blobs in FA).

Nex

EU Official Server Admin
this is some of the most laughably hyperbolic stuff I've ever read

"It removed skill factor completely from this game."
"This should not be open to debate."
Gee, Nex.

But yeah once again, I agree Bowcaster needs adjustment.

The only laughable thing in this thread was your response to Manyo, claiming hitscan is more skillful than preditction shots, rofl.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
The only laughable thing in this thread was your response to Manyo, claiming hitscan is more skillful than preditction shots, rofl.
Agaaaiiin with the hyperbole, dawg. I never said anything about hitscan, nor about prediction shots. I said that these shot speed increases make "deliberately aiming" more viable in favor of "literal RNG spray-and-pray."

By RNG spray and pray I don't mean "prediction," I mean literally run-and-gun where you have random spread. Different thing, see? This patch makes aiming (including prediction) more viable than full on dodge-and-spray-and-pray.

You're the guy saying stuff like "It removed skill factor completely from this game." :confused:

Nex

EU Official Server Admin
Agaaaiiin with the hyperbole, dawg. I never said anything about hitscan, nor about prediction shots. I said that these shot speed increases make "deliberately aiming" more viable in favor of "literal RNG spray-and-pray."

By RNG spray and pray I don't mean "prediction," I mean literally run-and-gun where you have random spread. Different thing, see? This patch makes aiming (including prediction) more viable than full on dodge-and-spray-and-pray.

You're the guy saying stuff like "It removed skill factor completely from this game." :confused:

Because it did remove skill factor completely and I explained why. It's not my problem that you can't read dude. Go back to my first post, won't rewrite the whole thing all over again.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Because it did remove skill factor completely and I explained why. It's not my problem that you can't read dude. Go back to my first post, won't rewrite the whole thing all over again.
Alright, I think this is what you're referencing:
You can't dodge incoming blasts manually anymore because by the time you see them it already lands on your face. Also having that projectile velocity speed increased you don't have to predict movement of your opponent and calculate your aim accordingly.
Regarding "you can't dodge incoming blasts manually anymore," the distance at which you can dodge incoming blasts on reaction is now 15% further away. Still possible. :p Just takes an even longer hallway than it did before.

Regarding "you don't have to predict movement," that's false. Even if the guns were hitscan you would have to predict movement, because the movement in this game is momentum-less; the enemy can switch directions at any moment. And you're not a computer, so you have a limited reaction time. Meaning that it's genuinely impossible to perfectly track a target in this game, because they can switch directions completely at random. So you necessarily have to predict where they're going to be, in order to aim correctly. Get it?

And to clarify why "It removed skill factor completely from this game" is such an absurd statement.... if you put a totally unskilled person and a totally skilled person in a fight against each other, the skilled one would win. Arguably even moreso on this build than in the previous build. Get it?

"Completely" is not a word that you should use that lightly. I assume English isn't your native language.

It's all messed up. It removed skill factor completely from this game. You can't dodge incoming blasts manually anymore because by the time you see them it already lands on your face. Also having that projectile velocity speed increased you don't have to predict movement of your opponent and calculate your aim accordingly.
Prediction skills become less important - the game plays much more like any other shooter and loses some of it's identity. (It's both predicting where your shots will hit and predicting where the enemy moves. You can call the latter luck but i believe you can slightly increase your luck by trying to read patterns)
"Okay everyone, let's play a game.
What takes more skill: Hitting an opponent consistently or hitting them occasionally because you 'predicted' where they would be?
What takes more skill, throwing a dart to the center of a dart board 9 times in a row, or winning a game of dice?
This is highlighting a very real problem in MB2, where people seem to think the prediction is more of a skill than actual mechanics. In a fighting game, you study the patterns of your opponent and you derive a likely outcome from their pattern, and give weight to the probability. What's more, in a fighting game, You have the ability to TRAIN your opponent to do something, to respond to something. If every time I do a 24B attack, then follow it up with a 2A, eventually, if you're paying attention, you'll expect, by probability, a 2A after my 24B.
That is a REASONABLE prediction based on probability, which takes time to acquire. In MB2, you do not have such an environment, and your prediction might as well be throwing dice at a wall.
Conclusion: It isn't a skill in open mode to get a hit on someone because you guessed what direction they would strafe in once."

{Δ} Achilles

Last edited:

Nex

EU Official Server Admin

Regarding "you can't dodge incoming blasts manually anymore," the distance at which you can dodge incoming blasts on reaction is now 15% further away. Still possible. :p Just takes an even longer hallway than it did before.
No. It isn't not possible. Even if you're on the far side of main corr in dotf. There's literally no way to avoid any incoming shot now, I know because I play sniper classes a bit long dude, so I have a comparison with what was back then in previous build and what is now. Before you could dodge incoming bullet even if you noticed a guy late, now you can't escape. Now first out with pop snipe gets frag, only misses save the opponent. I dare you to show me a demo how you avoid bullet in this build in such scenario.

And to clarify why "It removed skill factor completely from this game" is such an absurd statement.... if you put a totally unskilled person and a totally skilled person in a fight against each other, the skilled one would win. Arguably even moreso on this build than in the previous build. Get it?

"Completely" is not a word that you should use that lightly. I assume English isn't your native language.

Rofl, you sure about that mate? For how long did you play new update? Because I've already seen quite few good players getting owned by newbies. Bh for example stands little chance against 2 life clonetrooper in fair close combat fight. And zero chance against bw3 wook. You just can't beat 400hp with e11 as fast as bw3 can drain 180hp from Bh. It's just not possible if they are both full hp. No matter how big contrast of skill is between the players. The Bw3 guy would have to drop down the mouse or keyboard to lose such fight or miss 90% of his shots. It only proves that predicting movement of your opponent was crucial and now it's of no importance.
And ye, english isn't my native language, sorry.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Bh for example stands little chance against 2 life clonetrooper in fair close combat fight. And zero chance against bw3 wook. You just can't beat 400hp with e11 as fast as bw3 can drain 180hp from Bh. It's just not possible if they are both full hp. No matter how big contrast of skill is between the players.

Then maybe that's a fucking BALANCE ISSUE THAT WON'T BE SOLVED BY MAKING EVERYTHING BASED ON DICE ROLLS.

Nex

EU Official Server Admin
Then maybe that's a fucking BALANCE ISSUE THAT WON'T BE SOLVED BY MAKING EVERYTHING BASED ON DICE ROLLS.

/facepalm. Dude please leave beta team, already told you that in last arugment we've had.

No. It isn't not possible. Even if you're on the far side of main corr in dotf. There's literally no way to avoid any incoming shot now, I know because I play sniper classes a bit long dude, so I have a comparison with what was back then in previous build and what is now. Before you could dodge incoming bullet even if you noticed a guy late, now you can't escape. Now first out with pop snipe gets frag, only misses save the opponent. I dare you to show me a demo how you avoid bullet in this build in such scenario.

Rofl, you sure about that mate? For how long did you play new update? Because I've already seen quite few good players getting owned by newbies. Bh for example stands little chance against 2 life clonetrooper in fair close combat fight. And zero chance against bw3 wook. You just can't beat 400hp with e11 as fast as bw3 can drain 180hp from Bh. It's just not possible if they are both full hp. No matter how big contrast of skill is between the players. The Bw3 guy would have to drop down the mouse or keyboard to lose such fight or miss 90% of his shots. It only proves that predicting movement of your opponent was crucial and now it's of no importance.
And ye, english isn't my native language, sorry.
Dekas have more shield on top of all the exp and faster firing speed + the roll speed, what's your point

Torlo50

Internal Beta Team
To actually address the original post, I think the whole change forces more skill into players. So, you can't run straight through a corridor because, oh god, someone can accurately hit you from farther away? This is the way it should be. Encouraging use of cover and team tactics is a great idea, and I do believe that having faster projectiles enforces that. For instance, in the scenario where we have a hallway, with cover on the sides, people should have to use that cover, not blindly charge and expect to do well. I remember the old DotF map had that lovely stairway, but half the time no one used the cover provided on the sides since they could just dodge instead. You are not meant to be superhuman, you are literally a soldier on the ground. Unless a Jedi/Sith is actively using the Force, they are baseline as well, not superhuman. Dodging shots it simply a ludicrous proposition. In the interest of game-play, I think that yes, shots shouldn't be hit-scan, but they should have as small a lead as possible. This allows cover to cover game-play, and a chance for things like suppressive fire to actually mean something. Somewhere in the above posts, someone mentioned dekas, and how you can't jump out and hit one. If someone is using a deka properly vs. a sniper, then A) soon as they see you move at all, they have shield up, and B) they should be blasting right where you will come out at anyways, as a suppressive mechanic. Jumping out into someone already shooting at you should be punished, rightfully so. To be honest I would love the return of the leaning mechanic, so you can lean around corners again, though maybe implemented a bit more smoothly then in the original game (like maybe only if you have a point in a certain category, though every shooter should have the possibility of having it, sans the Cr3, since you know, mini-gun). Sure, the current lean mechanic animation is being used by dodge, but changes could be made, perhaps a ducking animation for dodge? Anyways, to get back on topic, the whole idea of a battle taking place on certain terrain should mean something more then how large the open space is, which is what the whole idea of dodging shots comes in. The more space you have to strafe in, the better your chances of misleading an enemy gunner. Frankly, this is embarrassing. Terrain should mean much more then that. Honestly, going prone would be a lovely thing. Giving more options to the players to choose a play style from is frankly paramount to any games success. How you approach a challenge is everything. A cover peek mechanic of any kind would be welcome, and hell, having super powerful force warriors that don't need to use cover as much makes them even more powerful in this scenario. Since gunners would have lots of options to fight, having jedi/sith that are as OP as they have been make more sense. Anyways, I could go on, and frankly, a lot of this is me shitballing at 2 in the morning after i got done working for 10 hours, so take this all with a grain of salt. Been awake too long as it is.

(Edit: Typos)

Last edited:
@MaceMadunusus: When it comes to how the gameplay "feels" i'd prefer the bullet speeds prior to 1.5.
That said i'd be fine with 5% or would tolerate the 15% increase if my main concerns can be addressed:

• Gunfights shouldn't be over more quickly (universal HP buff or weapon damage nerf)
  • Saberists shouldn't be more fragile in team fights but any balance adjustment may not increase their advantage in 1v1 situations (I can only see that happening if fp drains are universally decreased to a point where they won't matter in 1v1's. But then the focus would lie even more on something like flinch which i guess noone wants.)
@all the guys talking about skill and rolling dices: start addressing the other points i made and not half the point i wouldn't even fully deny, i made the first post for YOU.

Last edited:
@Nex @Gargos & @Manyo have pretty much covered everything major as to why the projectile speed increase is over the top, I'll just throw my two cents in here though as I agree with practically everything said.

Honestly, these new projectile speeds feel unwarranted. They've fundamentally screwed with the gun play in MB2 and it feels like any generic shooter, part of the allure of gunnery in MB2 for me has always been that element of prediction, that room for even the best players to slip up and make mistakes and for even the worst players to occasionally cause moments of glorious carnage. Making the gun play more consistent just changes the skill set from prediction to tracking, but MB2 maps and classes are not built for this nor is the gunnery system in depth enough to support this.

You have to practically rebuild the entire game for these almost hit scan (at mid range) weapons to really fit in. As it stands aggressive play-styles as a gunner are basically dead and playing non-optimally (not hugging cover) will get you killed against even mediocre gunners. I mean, I'm an ARC main and I'm probably best known for being that ARC main that is super unpredictable/very difficult to hit but even my most tricky ARC-FU maneuvers can be tracked and negated with ease with this change, as they no longer have to predict as much as just follow me with the crosshair.

The projectile travel speeds previously were slow enough that it was a good balance between skill and estimation but pushing it up even just this 15% is enough to seriously impact the way guns perform and the moves you can get away with. Yes, now you have a framework for a much more mechanical and thus 'skillful' (depending on your definition) system but you've also lost the charm and appeal of playing a gunner in the first place, there's very little practical skill difference between a fresh gunner and an experienced gunner, except that one of them will know to hug cover more.

Torlo50

Internal Beta Team
@Nex @Gargos & @Manyo have pretty much covered everything major as to why the projectile speed increase is over the top, I'll just throw my two cents in here though as I agree with practically everything said.

Honestly, these new projectile speeds feel unwarranted. They've fundamentally screwed with the gun play in MB2 and it feels like any generic shooter, part of the allure of gunnery in MB2 for me has always been that element of prediction, that room for even the best players to slip up and make mistakes and for even the worst players to occasionally cause moments of glorious carnage. Making the gun play more consistent just changes the skill set from prediction to tracking, but MB2 maps and classes are not built for this nor is the gunnery system in depth enough to support this.

You have to practically rebuild the entire game for these almost hit scan (at mid range) weapons to really fit in. As it stands aggressive play-styles as a gunner are basically dead and playing non-optimally (not hugging cover) will get you killed against even mediocre gunners. I mean, I'm an ARC main and I'm probably best known for being that ARC main that is super unpredictable/very difficult to hit but even my most tricky ARC-FU maneuvers can be tracked and negated with ease with this change, as they no longer have to predict as much as just follow me with the crosshair.

The projectile travel speeds previously were slow enough that it was a good balance between skill and estimation but pushing it up even just this 15% is enough to seriously impact the way guns perform and the moves you can get away with. Yes, now you have a framework for a much more mechanical and thus 'skillful' (depending on your definition) system but you've also lost the charm and appeal of playing a gunner in the first place, there's very little practical skill difference between a fresh gunner and an experienced gunner, except that one of them will know to hug cover more.

Prediction is based on two things. How well you know what people generally do in a particular hallway, and how well you know your opponent. This is not skill, merely refined practice hitting the same predictive moves over and over again. You at first guess, and then slowly get use to what your opponent is going to do before he does it. This is fine, but feels extremely poor in fun gun-play. Not only is it based on repetitiveness, which I think we all deal with more often then not, it also doesn't feel like you have a gun. As in, at all. Now, I played since 1.3, so I don't go too far back, but I like the feel of having to aim without trying to guess( or predict) where my opponent is going. That just feels.... poor, in game-play taste. Now, after doing some Open fights tonight, there is still some feel to this. However, it certainly makes me feel like I earned a hit, rather then finally got your pattern down. Big difference there.

To address you other point, the guns still don't feel hit scan, at least at mid-range (though our definitions on range is what probably vary). Is it more hit-scan(ish) then it was... sure. That was kind of the point of the increase in speed, so accuracy and aim took more point then predicting patterns. Sabering is much the same, if an opponent attacks in a same pattern time and time again, you eventually get it down and start PB-ing them like there is no tomorrow. Changing up your combo style, and actively mixing it up fixes that, but a strafing style can really only be mixed up so far. Left, right, and a little farther left next time to dodge a bolt coming in feels cheesy at times, even in this patch, though not nearly as bad as before.

Aggressive styles should be pretty dead, to be honest with you. If you run up on someone, and try to point blank them repeatedly, so you can hit-scan (which was a thing even in the last patch at super close range) just seems silly. An aggressive play-style like the one you describe relies on you, the ARC, jumping around the enemy so they have a harder time hitting you, while you can point blank hit-scan them to death, especially with the roll and shoot that ARCs have. Should we really encourage that? Don't hit scan mid range, but hit scan close up for your play-style? What about other people who play anything not an ARC? Should they be left out? Slow Soldiers/Commandos/Hero/BH can't play the way in which you describe very effectively in the old patches, and of course, not in this one. They burst from cover, try to get a few shots off, and return. Sure, you can pressure an enemy, but you use ammo to do it. ( EDIT: In hind sight, maybe if you explained your play-style a little more, I can understand it better from your point of view, so please do so).

An experienced gunner still has the mechanics of the game down, and how far they have to shoot in front of their target to hit at different ranges. Frankly, the skill difference is still wildly separate, especially when to use the specials of the different gunner classes. Gunning everyone always says it like it is one big thing, but really, after you get past shot speed mechanics, and cover, it is how well you use the class. Different specialty mechanics for different class abilities and weapons is where any experienced player, gunner or not, shines.

I made some points in my last post, but I didn't want it to seem like no one gave a damn about what you are talking about. I tried to be as understanding as I can, and would love more conversation that doesn't boil down to, "I want this", and the other side screaming, "I want this."

Or maybe you aren't as good as you think. For example, I faced off against Flokker once in 1.5 when he was playing pistol ARC, and I couldn't hit him for shit.
Probably. But if I can consistently throw off the aim of some top tier gunners, CE7 boys spring to mind, I'm probably not half bad.
Aggressive styles should be pretty dead, to be honest with you. If you run up on someone, and try to point blank them repeatedly, so you can hit-scan (which was a thing even in the last patch at super close range) just seems silly. An aggressive play-style like the one you describe relies on you, the ARC, jumping around the enemy so they have a harder time hitting you, while you can point blank hit-scan them to death, especially with the roll and shoot that ARCs have. Should we really encourage that? Don't hit scan mid range, but hit scan close up for your play-style? What about other people who play anything not an ARC? Should they be left out? Slow Soldiers/Commandos/Hero/BH can't play the way in which you describe very effectively in the old patches, and of course, not in this one. They burst from cover, try to get a few shots off, and return. Sure, you can pressure an enemy, but you use ammo to do it. ( EDIT: In hind sight, maybe if you explained your play-style a little more, I can understand it better from your point of view, so please do so).

An experienced gunner still has the mechanics of the game down, and how far they have to shoot in front of their target to hit at different ranges. Frankly, the skill difference is still wildly separate, especially when to use the specials of the different gunner classes. Gunning everyone always says it like it is one big thing, but really, after you get past shot speed mechanics, and cover, it is how well you use the class. Different specialty mechanics for different class abilities and weapons is where any experienced player, gunner or not, shines.

I made some points in my last post, but I didn't want it to seem like no one gave a damn about what you are talking about. I tried to be as understanding as I can, and would love more conversation that doesn't boil down to, "I want this", and the other side screaming, "I want this."

I've omitted the first two paragraphs as they're not really something I want to fill a feedback thread with arguing about. You're set in your ways on how you see skill just as I am set in mine.

I mean, that's all down to personal preference. Personally, I prefer that MB2 is not a cautious shooter but more of an old school action shooter, there's less demand for you to hug cover 24/7 and more opportunities for every class (ARC is just the most agile but pays for it with lack of high tier weapons) to be aggressive. In fact, the only things I can think of which stopped other gunners from being just as aggressive as ARC was the vulnerability to force users, and of course snipers. As far as hitscan goes in the prior build even point blank range aim was not necessarily hitscan and it was completely possible to miss shots, which is part of the reason for this change.

Other classes could be just as aggressive as ARC by varying their strafe patterns, and if anything - it is actually easier to throw off someone's aim with erratic strafing than more predictable wallruns or lunge rolls. The only edges ARC really has on this front are shooting in get-ups and sniping with perfect accuracy with dex 3, though the M5 scoped is broken as shit and needs a hard nerf or outright removal IMO. Other than that, it really wasn't anything special or very effective, you were always going to do 10x better as a sniper with proj or ee-3 if your aim is on point, with the latter also having access to a jetpack.

Soldiers/Commanders/ETs get access to very deadly weapons, which I would happily trade my M5 for any day mind, at a cost of their mobility and durability as well as the option to take more lives, I mean, I don't expect an ARC to be able to one-shot anyone from any range with a proj just as I don't expect a hero to start running on the walls to draw the opposition's focus. As far as using ammo to pressure, you think ARC doesn't too? ^^, you're never going to pressure anyone just by running around.

Hero and BH also work under this sort of system, as far as having kit to make up for their lack of mobility/other areas but they get a few other unique toys which give them a different role. ARC's niche is mobility because without it, the class is a worse clone in every single way. As far as explaining my playstyle - you can either catch me in-game or have a look at this thread, I linked some videos in the OP: Appo's Arc Feedback for [CURRENT UPDATE NUMBER HERE].
My play style is very movement heavy and all about drawing focus and baiting hits just to avoid them, it's unique enough that I like to think that no one else can emulate it properly, though of course it is no where near as effective as playing meta ARC, which is grabbing an M5 scoped and jumping around like a retard while landing pinpoint 140+ damage headshots at any range in full auto fire with 6 shots per reload.

I'm still absolutely murdering people as ARC because my map knowledge and positioning hasn't gone away, but now I don't have to predict my target so much as track them, which is what I do in literally every other shooter but what this shooter did previously was unique enough to be charming, without recoil or any other real gunnery mechanics in MB2 it just feels bland and outdated. The skill difference is minimal though, the deciding factor between a good gunner and a bad gunner is that the bad gunner will not hug cover while the good gunner will, and while the specials are a factor the projectile speed boost has basically made all movement based special abilities worthless outside of dodge which to my knowledge is still broken as fuck.

Last edited:

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Poll's still 2:1 in favor of fast speeds, with almost 50 votes.

For the sake of getting the most results possible, important official polls like this could be posted in the #announcements channel of the discord.

As a less skilled gunner it would obviously be in my favor to keep faster projectile speeds, but it's not fun if even a noob aim like mine can now score kills easier. Thinking about both aiming and predicting target's next moves in order to hit is what made mb2 unique in a way and by fastening projectiles by even 15% a bit of that magic is lost. If I want to just aim and hit targets left and right I'll just go CS and pick AWP.
Aiming and predicting is very hard for me but it feels much more rewarding when I actually do it right rather than just locking target and shooting immediately is my two cents on this.

all the guys talking about skill and rolling dices: start addressing the other points i made and not half the point i wouldn't even fully deny, i made the first post for YOU.
Ok, let's go. Feel free to complement my answer if you like, @Lessen , @Torlo50 @{Δ} Achilles @DaloLorn .
Some open mode mechanics depend on gunners not beeing able to easily hit every shot (saberists in team fights, rolling deka, ARC movements, lower hp gunners vs higher hp gunners, different running speeds...). Increased speeds indirectly change a good chunk of MB2's established game balance.
If you talk about balance, you should ask yourself if the mechanics in question are really balanced. The projectile speeds would only affect balance in the opposite scenario! (Lower speeds) Because they add a layer of luck to the equation and with that, it means a player with worse aim can win if he's lucky. In a balanced game, the skilled player will always win.
Gunfights are shorter overall
Why is that a problem? It actually means that gunners with better aim are hitting more bolts, instead of the ones whose only tactics are to strafe randomly and shoot with terrible aiming.

Last edited: