[WIP] K-2SO player model

Lervish

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Hey!

Decided to make a WIP thread for the model of K-2SO that I recently started working on. Been working on the head for some nights now and here's what I got so far:

k2so.jpg

As you can see I'm planning to make a high poly version first with a lot of the detail modelled in as actual geometry. It's a lengthy process, but this way it's a learning process for me and I get a chance to hone my workflow and try out some new tools and techniques. Hard surface modelling has recently been my fascination, pretty much since I was working on Jyn Erso's gun.

After the high poly model is done I'll model a low poly one on top of it in a resolution suitable for JAMP. After that I can bake out ambient occlusion, normal and cavity maps etc. None of those will be supported by MB2 of course (at least before the awesome work on rend2 by DF2 modders at JKHub will be ported to JAMP) but I can still use them to help out greatly in the texturing process. After the low poly model and textures are done, it's the usual business to get it ingame: weighting, caps, LODs...

Overall the whole thing will most likely take a long time since most of the time I'm busy with work and uni. How long I cannot really say, but hopefully before GoodOl'Ben makes his Jedha map. :D Christmas might be a good time to aim for, since the new movie will provide new things to model as well so having this out of the way by then would probably be nice.

All kinds of comments and suggestions are welcome! I'm also open for questions if people are interested in hearing something more specific about the workflow. :)

Upvote 0

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Oh man, this is great. Please, when it's finished and you add it in, do as others have said. Make it a Wook skin. He's tall and strong and beats up the stormies. The hard part is what weapon is similar enough to reskin the caster. The pistol is easy enough, though. Keep up the good work.

Oh man, this is great. Please, when it's finished and you add it in, do as others have said. Make it a Wook skin. He's tall and strong and beats up the stormies. The hard part is what weapon is similar enough to reskin the caster. The pistol is easy enough, though. Keep up the good work.
This. It would open a huge room for many models other than just Chewbaccas in dyed fur color and some wacky fashion.

Lervish

Donator
Small update! Been a bit busy with other things in life and in MB2 dev so I'm wayyyy behind my schedule of getting this done before the new movie. :mad: Oh well, bound to happen.

I've recently done the blocking for the rest of the body, trying my best to match the proportions of the JA skeleton without making it look short-limbed. The proportions are gonna change a bit still for the ingame model once I get to that part. Too bad the game doesn't support animation retargeting so I can't just make the skeleton match the model like a modern engine would allow.

k2so5.jpg

Rest of it is just carving in the details for all the new parts and adding the connecting wires and tubes between the hips/torso and the limbs. Gonna take a while. :D

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
cant you work off of model scaling with JKA? would that help you reach proportions? Because if you're doing wookiee aren't they like 1.5 scale length of normal skeltons

Lervish

Donator
Yeah you can scale the whole model but you can't really scale individual body parts, such as making the legs or arms longer. That would need a custom skeleton and animations which I'm not gonna do. :)

Scerendo

Steady Eddy
Movie Battles II Team
Yeah you can scale the whole model but you can't really scale individual body parts, such as making the legs or arms longer. That would need a custom skeleton and animations which I'm not gonna do. :)

Its looking good man, really looking forward to it.

You could maybe scale down the body and head a bit, but keep the arms and legs the same? Since he is very hard surface, his body shouldn't really be deforming, so you might be able to get away with it. It's a bit of a hacky solution but might work?

Lervish

Donator
Thanks man! You're right, that might work. I was thinking on experimenting on that a bit more once it's all re-topo'd to ingame res and easier to work with. :)

Scerendo

Steady Eddy
Movie Battles II Team
Looking really nice :) proportions looking so much better, and the texture is great!

looks great
don't forget about perfectly optimized LODs for mb2 performance :3

Wouldn't worry about that all, the new and recent models have had LODS on them :)