[WIP] K-2SO player model

Lervish

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Hey!

Decided to make a WIP thread for the model of K-2SO that I recently started working on. Been working on the head for some nights now and here's what I got so far:

k2so.jpg

As you can see I'm planning to make a high poly version first with a lot of the detail modelled in as actual geometry. It's a lengthy process, but this way it's a learning process for me and I get a chance to hone my workflow and try out some new tools and techniques. Hard surface modelling has recently been my fascination, pretty much since I was working on Jyn Erso's gun.

After the high poly model is done I'll model a low poly one on top of it in a resolution suitable for JAMP. After that I can bake out ambient occlusion, normal and cavity maps etc. None of those will be supported by MB2 of course (at least before the awesome work on rend2 by DF2 modders at JKHub will be ported to JAMP) but I can still use them to help out greatly in the texturing process. After the low poly model and textures are done, it's the usual business to get it ingame: weighting, caps, LODs...

Overall the whole thing will most likely take a long time since most of the time I'm busy with work and uni. How long I cannot really say, but hopefully before GoodOl'Ben makes his Jedha map. :D Christmas might be a good time to aim for, since the new movie will provide new things to model as well so having this out of the way by then would probably be nice.

All kinds of comments and suggestions are welcome! I'm also open for questions if people are interested in hearing something more specific about the workflow. :)

Upvote 0

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
After that I can bake out ambient occlusion, normal and cavity maps etc. None of those will be supported by MB2 of course (at least before the awesome work on rend2 by DF2 modders at JKHub will be ported to JAMP) but I can still use them to help out greatly in the texturing process.

Similar to what I have been doing for DOTFv2. I am not modeling high poly but using quixel suite to make some simple normals which are then used to bake a cavity, AO and ends up being way more accurate than other techniques. And as you said can be used in rend 2 later on. Definitely helps speed up several aspects of texture creation even if it is a bit of work to start off with.

Good start to the head Lerv! Can't wait to see more!

Lervish

Donator
Similar to what I have been doing for DOTFv2. I am not modeling high poly but using quixel suite to make some simple normals which are then used to bake a cavity, AO and ends up being way more accurate than other techniques. And as you said can be used in rend 2 later on. Definitely helps speed up several aspects of texture creation even if it is a bit of work to start off with.
Aye Quixel Suite is great for that. Along with cavity and AO, I use the normal map's red and green channels to give some depth to the diffuse texture. Ever tried Substance Designer Mace? If not I'd imagine you'd like it. Haven't used it myself but it should be great for environments.

Lervish

Donator
Rename Wookiees to "Big guys" and just place him there.
Haha yeah this is actually a good question which class the model would fit best. At the very least it'll fit in FA and I'll release it as a replacement, but there's a possibility it doesn't really fit any open mode classes. SBD / imp commander are what I have in mind currently. The latter requires a lot of tweaking of proportions as well.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Ever tried Substance Designer Mace? If not I'd imagine you'd like it.

I know a lot of people that use it but so far Quixel has given me everything I've needed so I have had no reason to try it.

Lervish

Donator
Which programs do you use to sculpting?
Personally for sculpting I use Autodesk Mudbox. I tried it the first time many years back and always thought it was more intuitive to learn than Zbrush, so it stuck. I know the latter is nowadays more powerful, but for my purposes Mudbox has always done the trick. I have to say Mudbox is one of the few programs I've tried where I can just directly jump into creating stuff instead of having to battle with any UI related confusion.

However what I showed above of K-2SO is all made in 3ds Max. Regarding this project there is very little (if any) sculpting needed. Traditional hard surface modelling does the trick and should provide the best outcome, and good old 3ds Max is still very proficient in that sense.

In the end, though, the software doesn't really matter that much as long as you know what you gotta achieve and the basic principles of 3d modelling. Those you can learn with any software. @Scerendo does amazing things with Zbrush and if I'm correct @Penekowski and his folk mainly use Blender. Heck if I wasn't a stubborn lazy bastard I think Blender would be the smartest choice to pick up myself, because nowadays you can do pretty much anything with it as efficiently as the commercial software do.

In the end, though, the software doesn't really matter that much as long as you know what you gotta achieve and the basic principles of 3d modelling.
It does. I've started my little project 2 days ago and still in doubt about which program to use. ZBrush is a powerful and universal tool, but it requires too much knowledge from beginner :confused:
I hope your progress will inspire me to push harder

Antraxo

Donator
I would love to see K-2SO as a wookie character ingame. That was my wish since I saw Rogue One :D !

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Haha yeah this is actually a good question which class the model would fit best. At the very least it'll fit in FA and I'll release it as a replacement, but there's a possibility it doesn't really fit any open mode classes. SBD / imp commander are what I have in mind currently. The latter requires a lot of tweaking of proportions as well.
SBD with custom animations could work. Of course it would be a bit weird to have one character running around with its own animation set. Imp Commander is the other obvious choice here.

Lervish

Donator
Some slow progress. Keeping dem surfaces round n smooth without any distortion is quite tricky at times.
k2so2.jpg

Also having to take some slight artistic liberties with the JA skeleton in mind. Already thinking about the proportions should help in the future.