•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue Please start the game via launcher and keep it running!

so i have just a mate to play but he has a problem where when he joins a game it kicks him out and says please play via the launcher and keep it running or something along those lines

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Man, you really need to use search before starting a new thread -- there are bunch of topics about this very issue.

To summarize all those suggestions:
  1. There is no reliable solution for this problem so far.
    Different things work for different people, but basically it's just random. Very sad :(
  2. Keep MBII Launcher opened all the time you play Movie Battles.
    It's needed because of anti-cheating system built-in in Launcher.
  3. Move MBIILauncher.exe to "Jedi Academy\GameData"
  4. Use full-screen mode and native screen resolution
  5. If you have Steam version of Jedi Academy and it isn't installed in default Steam folder, move it to default Steam folder.
  6. Switch a game engine to another one:
    MBII Launcher => Settings => uncheck "Steam integration" (skip if there's no such checkbox) => Engine => MBII Client => Play.
    If you already use MBII Client, select jamp.
  7. Restart Movie Battles and Launcher repeatedly

Last edited:

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Is "Install Jedi Academy in the default Steam location rather than another drive" one of the valid suggestions for this? I remember that's something to do, for some reason.

Personally I've had this bug. I might have had it every time I've reinstalled, and I don't remember doing anything to fix it so I think it just went away after I kept trying to play.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Is "Install Jedi Academy in the default Steam location rather than another drive" one of the valid suggestions for this? I remember that's something to do, for some reason.
Not sure, I doubt it was ever mentioned in context of "Please start the game via launcher and keep it running" problem, but since this issue has only voodoo-based suggestions, it's something worth to try anyway.
Also, there is a report that widescreen HUD fix doesn't work in jamp when Jedi Academy is installed in any other folder, therefore it's good thing to keep JA in default Steam directory, always.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Also, there is a report that widescreen HUD fix doesn't work in jamp when Jedi Academy is installed in any other folder, therefore it's good thing to keep JA in default Steam directory, always.
Nonsense. Works just fine on retail and GOG versions of JAMP. The way widescreen UI is hacked in has no relation to the EXE's path.

Reactions: ent

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Nonsense. Works just fine on retail and GOG versions of JAMP. The way widescreen UI is hacked in has no relation to the EXE's path.
But there is the whole thread about widescreen issues:
[SOLVED] - Hud is still stretched out and disproportionate
TS only got his HUD scaled properly when he moved his Jedi Academy installation to default folder.
He even posted a screenshots where it's displayed that HUD is stretched and game is running using jamp:
[SOLVED] - Hud is still stretched out and disproportionate
My words about JA installation are based on that thread.

Also, there is an information that error message is showing when starting Movie Battles via MBII Launcher when Jedi Academy isn't in default directory:
[SOLVED] - Steam Installation Folder and other problems.

Last edited:

ent

Movie Battles II Team
He even posted a screenshots where it's displayed that HUD is stretched and game is running using jamp:
And that's what he said. None of devs actually have seen what engine was running, how it was started, what config it was using. Too many unknown variables. So that his statement is not confirmed. But I am not also saying that he is wrong - just no confirmed.
He seemed messed up with jasp and jamp. And it looked like jasp engine can handle ui but no cgame so he got some errors.
I'd not trust that guy's feedback much until I see what's actually going on myself.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
But I am not also saying that he is wrong - just no confirmed.
I agree with you, totally -- and since there is no any other explanation of that issue, it wouldn't be a wise decision if I didn't ever mention it.
Also, the thread I referred to is pretty old, January 2006, and it contains a bunch of your posts, but none of them saying that HUD in widescreen mode does not depend on Jedi Academy's installation path.

If you thought that path to JA wasn't the case, you could post something like "I am the one who made a ratio fix for jamp and this is bullshit. It has nothing to do with where Jedi Academy is installed" right below Apocalatypus's post where he wrote that moving JA to a default Steam's directory had solved his problem.
But you didn't.

Even now, your last post doesn't has a crystal clear info of what you think.
So tell me, as a person who actually created widescreen UI hack, is it possible that HUD is displayed properly in jamp only when Jedi Academy is installed in Steam's default folder?
He seemed messed up with jasp and jamp. And it looked like jasp engine can handle ui but no cgame so he got some errors.
But I thought that when MBII is started via jasp and not jamp, it always crashes with a message "Z_Free(): Corrupt zone header!" o_O
And it happens before any dll is extracted...