MBII Development: Looking to the future

logo_mb.png

There has been an awakening.....have you felt it?

Hello MBII Community!

Like Hexodious mentioned in this post, we at the MBII team are hoping to change the MBII direction to be more focused to new features rather than re-inventing the wheel by continuously editing existing features. After all, as a wise saying goes, "if it's not broken, don't fix it!".

With Rogue One approaching, this is an excellent opportunity to pull up our sleeves and start implementing a number of features that have been in our drawing board for far too long. To do this we aim, as Hex said, to first freeze the Jedi/Sith lightsaber mechanics for the foreseeable future, something that we are currently working on.

After the Jedi/Sith mechanics are frozen, our plans include, but are not limited to:
  • New game modes, including the neglected child (Conquest) and the much demanded Class Limit feature
  • 2 new classes (one for rebels, one for imperials)
  • An SBD re-vamp (can you imagine a running SBD? We can!)
  • And of course, new maps and models from the upcoming films

We are excited and enthusiastic in working on these new things, but unfortunately our enthusiasm is not enough to make wonderful MBII things happen. As you know, MBII development is entirely voluntary and depends greatly on everyone's free time and availability. Our current resources are limited so completing all of these features will take a very long time, or may not happen at all. That's why we need your help!

We are looking for members of our community to support our efforts and help us realize our dreams for significant upgrade to MBII, by joining the Development Team with the aim of working on these specific features.

We are looking, in order of priority, for:

1. UI designers, to help re-vamp the current UI as needed (e.g. to include new classes) and improve performance.
  2. 2D and 3D modelers and animators, to help with the models for the new classes, and help creating or adapting new models for upcoming films.
  3. Coders to work on the new game modes and the new classes.
  4. Mappers to work on unfinished map projects and create new maps based on the upcoming films.
  5. Support and promotion partners, to help with the influx of new players after Rogue One is released, and hopefully keep most of them as permanent MBII junkies!
  6. Beta Testers! As you all know, bugs are everywhere, so help us obliterate them before releases! Also, the development of new game modes greatly depends on having enough testers to properly test them under normal game play conditions. The modes cannot be developed without testers.

Specifics for the requirements of Developer positions can be found here. If you have the required skills, or are willing to learn, apply!

For Beta Testers, the details are here. You have no excuse not to apply, as you don't need to have a specific skill other than love for MBII!

We look forward to hearing from you, as you awaken with us! May the Force be with MBII.

Please stop giving me eye cancer with your shitty color choices.

To the topic:
- New classes sound like a heavy task because of balancing.
- Running sbds? ehhhhh they can't run in the movies can they?
- class restrictions are a good idea if its optional(server side)

DaloLorn

Movie Battles II Team Retired
I could maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe help out with the code... Definitely not a significant contributor, not with my non-existent JKA modding history, but who knows.

Please stop giving me eye cancer with your shitty color choices.

Yes, he has been a little more... extravagant. (Um, how do I tell it to use no colors?)

- New classes sound like a heavy task because of balancing.

Eh, I'm not too worried about that.

The only running I can explicitly remember is Battlefront SBDs... but I haven't watched a lot of Star Wars lately.

- class restrictions are a good idea if its optional(server side)

I imagine it will be. Really, there's all sorts of optional stuff that could be done. (I for one wouldn't mind seeing a more permanent return of the spin event, with some adjustments.)

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Nope, Just F*Censor sounds*-KING NOPE!
As much as I think it would be funny to see a running SBD I think it is fine where it is now.
The only running I can explicitly remember is Battlefront SBDs... but I haven't watched a lot of Star Wars lately.
.....again, here's an official running animation (<-- CLICK THIS. IT'S A LINK.) from the work on Episode II.

sure, i don't think it was ever used, and i don't have an example from any finished media of a running SBD, but, that's how it would've looked.

and again, one way to add that kind of speed to SBD without ruining it's essential "weightiness" would be to add some kind of momentum/acceleration to the movement, but, i'm sure the devs have already thought of something to do to make it not feel weird.

DaloLorn

Movie Battles II Team Retired
.....again, here's an official running animation (<-- CLICK THIS. IT'S A LINK.) from the work on Episode II.

sure, i don't think it was ever used, and i don't have an example from any finished media of a running SBD, but, that's how it would've looked.

and again, one way to add that kind of speed to SBD without ruining it's essential "weightiness" would be to add some kind of momentum/acceleration to the movement, but, i'm sure the devs have already thought of something to do to make it not feel weird.

That actually looks a lot like the Battlefront stuff. Still don't think I've seen it anywhere else, but then again the portrayal of SBDs varies as wildly as the media involved. (MB2 seems to draw heavily upon Republic Commando at the expense of all other sources right now.)

Hello, if you read me (Dev, coder and leader) please consider inspecting the destroyer (deka)
I never really saw it before the other day....

There is maybe some problem with it. First : It doesn't take any fall damage. If you try it yourself, you will see that when you use the elevator in dotf (hangar) and you directly run in the void, no fall damage at all.

Secondly, it need more than 5 sniper shot (And maybe even more!) to destroy its shield. I'am not having the code right in front of my nose, but from my perspective it seems maybe too much ? I dont know, maybe a quick tweak on that... ?

I voluntary didnt used the word "overpowered" :) But it has been in my mind all along while writting this (And sorry for my spelling, it might hurt your eyes haha) If you can confirm it's normal, and you are aware of that. Please tel me

To make one thing clear : When proceeding to those testing, I didn't used only one class, I was actually testing with multiples build, and different class. To be the "counter" of deka.

The only way i found was playing Wookie/Jedi and get them from behind (So it's a 100% counter im right?) But with any other class, it wasn't possible.

Last but not least : Imps have the really powerful deka which is a semi-stationary machine gun. But when you take the clone rifle 3 (in order to get the machine gun) You almost have less fire power than with clone rifle 2 :( Shouldn't it be like a REAL machine gun ? It even has less ammo

I hope I will be read, and above all, being understood. If you need demonstration i'am at your disposal. I'm always trying to improve my knowledge, so if i missunderstood something, please don't bash me too hard xD

Peace etc...

SBD running is good because it speeds up gameplay.
On the topic of deka, they definitely need a nerf. Experienced dekas can have unbelieveable scores like Q-11-A.I. had 51/7 once. I'm not saying experienced players of some class shouldn't have good scores, but when you look at it more closely you'll see that experienced deka players can have much better scores than experienced players of any other class.

Sammy

Master of Whispers
Donator
That applies to BH and Jedi also. High scores are possible with any class. Play the class well and you'll do well. The aim of deka is atrocious half the time. Deka seems fine imo, you need teamwork and an arc to disable it, ez pz.

I think dekas should have falling damage - less falling damage than other classes, but still falling damage. Even a deka would crash falling from 100 meters.
you need teamwork and an arc to disable it, ez pz.
That's the problem - ARC Pulse Grenades are the only thing that works versus Dekas. Having them means you can kill the Deka, but not having them means you are gonna be obliterated by an experienced Deka.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
please don't bash me too hard xD

Peace etc...
Hi, welcome to the forums. I don't mean to bash you but I have a couple things to say, disagreeing with almost everything you said.

First off, Deka not taking fall damage isn't really a big deal in any real strategic context since Deka ignores knockback anyway, and it's almost reasonable given the physical structure of the droideka.

Secondly, your observation that Deka is weak to high power attacks from behind gets at what's arguably the biggest weakness of Deka, which is: teamwork. It can't shoot everywhere at once so if you threaten it simultaneously from multiple positions, it can't do that much, and if it doesn't have a strong hull and the Quick perk, it can't get out of the situation either. (and, as mentioned, pulse nades totally fuck it up, and instantly detonate if they collide with its shield)

Thirdly, Clone Rifle 3 is strong as hell. The shots do every bit as much damage as CR2's, and you fire way more of them, so I don't know how you think it's "almost less firepower" than CR2. It has a ton of ammo, too. It just goes through ammo faster than CR2, which is reasonable. While a CR3 clone obviously doesn't have anywhere near the "Emplaced Guns" sturdiness of Deka, a Stam 2 CR3 clone can fire while sprinting, combining crazy firepower with crazy speed.

Lastly, this isn't quiiiite the thread to talk in detail about how Deka is or isn't OP, although it's not wildly off-topic, you should probably make a new thread.

First off, Deka not taking fall damage isn't really a big deal in any real strategic context since Deka ignores knockback anyway, and it's almost reasonable given the physical structure of the droideka.
It has an impact on Deka's movement. As it is now, dekas can just chaotically move everywhere without even thinking where they are going, and they can fall from any height and escape everyone with unprecedented mobility. Adding falling damage would reign in Deka's inconceivable mobility at least a little, slow them down, make them wait for elevators and make them think where they are going in order not to crash and die. As I said:
I think dekas should have falling damage - less falling damage than other classes, but still falling damage. Even a deka would crash falling from 100 meters.
teamwork. It can't shoot everywhere at once so if you threaten it simultaneously from multiple positions, it can't do that much
But Deka can use teamwork too.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
@S o l d i e r Sure, Dekas can fall from crazy heights and survive, and I do agree that that's a little strange, my main point is just that it almost never really comes into play. There just aren't that many crazy heights to worry about. But, overall, I guess I do agree that Dekas should have fall damage.

Secondly, Dekas can use teamwork, inasmuch as they can provide suppressing fire while allies advance, and Sith can (to a degree) step in and cover a Deka whose shield has been compromised. But they're still limited in their teamwork capability compared to other classes. Mainly, they can't use cover that well, and their opponents can. The limitation balances it out. In theory. I make no promises in practice.

Certainly, with really good teamwork, a Deka can come out of cover and fire for a while, and then, covered by a Sith, it can move back in to cover and regenerate its shield. But even forcing a Deka into cover is a bit of a victory, since the Deka can't quickly move in and out of cover like other classes.

I'm mostly saying that it's complicated and there might be options or subtleties that you're overlooking. But I'm not promising that deka isn't still overall overpowered. But if everybody just decided to agree that Deka is overpowered, then they would all stop looking for counterplay options, and that would be bad. So that's my main point.

edit: as a side note, or an example of nuance, the Power Management buff in 1.4.3 made it so that, with Firepower 3, you can regenerate your shield quickly enough to scoff indefinitely at small efforts to wear down your shield. This is fun and very very strong in some contexts. But the cost of this is that if a very serious effort is made and a saberist gets close to you or gunners break through your shield, you lack the Quickness or Repulse to defend yourself.

SBD running is good because it speeds up gameplay.
On the topic of deka, they definitely need a nerf. Experienced dekas can have unbelieveable scores like Q-11-A.I. had 51/7 once. I'm not saying experienced players of some class shouldn't have good scores, but when you look at it more closely you'll see that experienced deka players can have much better scores than experienced players of any other class.

Mortal "Experience" in other classes doesn't compare to solely being a certain droid class for heaven knows how long. I would expect Q-11 to obliterate your so called experienced players with ease.

@Gumba
My color coding depends on the type of statement I am making. Green = Logic, etc. I wouldn't expect you to comprehend that at first glance though, you are after all just a mortal. [Hurting your eyes is a good thing organic whelp.]

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
For the love of God,anything but not the Gungans for Rebels,ANYTHING.
(First off, I have absolutely no clue what classes they have in mind, if they even have it pinned down at this point, and furthermore, it'll surely be a long-ass time before we ever get to play these classes, AND FURTHERMORE, if good 3D Modelers and UI designers don't show up soon, this stuff might just never happen at all, but...)

Why not gungans? Because of hatred of Jar Jar specifically? Because of a broader prequel hatred? Aside from Jar Jar, Gungans are actually pretty badass and unique, with their agility, and aquaticness, and interesting design (stalk eyes and long ears), and unique technologies (their shield tech, underwater cities, weird ball explosives and "primitive" usage of spears and animals). And besides, Jar Jar isn't honestly the absolute worst character ever, himself. He's just a really strange/bad decision in the context of the films. But out of context, he's just a not-terrible comic relief character.

databank_gungangrandarmy_01_169_9a8506f2.jpeg

Plus, adding Jar Jar to the game gives you a good effigy to take out all your rage on.

Last edited: