Your Opinion on Reinforcements & Their Future

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Hey guys,

Reinforcements have been a part of Movie Battles for over a decade now with only minor changes to how they work over the years. This week several people, including myself, will be having a meeting on the future of Reinforcements within Eridan Crisis. This meeting will also be discussing Rally/Assemble. Before that, I want to get a general feeling of how the community feels about the ability available to ET, Commander, Clones, and Soldier so that we may take it into account in our discussion. Any changes to this ability in particular heavily impacts how other abilities, levels, point structures, and classes themselves are built.

I also want to tell you about some of my untested plans and ideas that will have an impact on the value of Reinforcements in their current state within EC.
  • I am working to adjust how all levels are laid out, making them flow better which will result in less travel time across levels and more direct access to fights. Most of the current flow issues are due to engine limitations in JKA which are no longer a problem in UE4.
  • I am working on decreasing the size of levels as much as I can reducing the time after initial spawn that fights happen.
  • I would like to slightly increase average forward movement speed of characters which will also further reduce travel time across levels.
  • Ideally, depending on level, I would like to see many maps fit within a 3-4 minute time instead of a 4-5 minute time to reduce the amount of time sitting in spectator after death as a result of some of the changes above.
If you have the time I would really appreciate it if you filled out this form.
Movie Battles II Reinforcements <--- Google Forms Link!

If you would like to hear some of my feelings on Reinforcements I will put them below in a spoiler. Please fill out the form before reading it though as I do not want to impact your feelings with my own.
I like reinforcements for several reasons:
  • They give new players and less skilled players an opportunity to make mistakes.
  • They open up a wider variety of options for more experienced players.
  • They give developers more balancing options
  • They can have a greater teamplay component when tied with other abilities.
  • More time playing, less time in spectator
I dislike Reinforcements for several other reasons:
  • They can be a pain to balance properly
  • You can get placed far away from a fight and have to walk for 30+ seconds to find anything again depending on the level
  • There is an extreme lack of choice when using reinforcements
  • I don't find them a particularly interesting/exciting ability
  • Many classes are too reliant on purchasing them.
  • Building levels around having reinforcements adds additional complexity to the process.
This is by all means not my full list, but I wanted to give you an idea.

This form is intended to be anonymous so feel free to voice your full opinions. If you wish to discuss anything in this thread feel free to do so but keep it civil.

Thank you to all who fill this out. Any information gained by this form will also be available to the current MB team if they would like to make any adjustments to reinforcements based off of this information.

Last edited:
mb2 is an example, ec is basically mb2 with new engine and ip right? or am i missing something
Game-play largely mimic's Mb's with some minor changes here and there.
Everything in that game regarding art and models are going try to be 100% original.

Basically MB2 without the starwars aesthetic, on a more configurable engine.
Personally one of the charms in my opinion is that how easy it is to run the game and because of that it's more accessible to everyone. While nice graphics are great, I am always going root for gameplay.

Last edited:

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
A lot more is going to change gameplay wise than you might think. Our meeting about grenades could be used as an example. EVERY grenade mechanic is changing. Not only how they work when thrown, but how they are used and how points are allocated is going to be very different from mb2 in its current form. Primary/Secondary won't work the same as before on many of them as well. And that is just grenades.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
A lot more is going to change gameplay wise than you might think. Our meeting about grenades could be used as an example. EVERY grenade mechanic is changing. Not only how they work when thrown, but how they are used and how points are allocated is going to be very different from mb2 in its current form. Primary/Secondary won't work the same as before on many of them as well. And that is just grenades.

Good. Because an instant-exploding grenade that guarantees a free kill on anyone without quick-getup, is retarded design.

I'm extremely sick of knockdowns.

That is something I actually agree with but the things that knock me down aren't grenades.
Its the things that knock me down while im trying to run away from a grenade with a flick of the wrist.

Last edited:
Something people need to take into account, nothing is EVER going to be 100% balanced. Not saying we can't do our best but with a variety of classes nothing is ever going to be 100% perfect.

No to NPCs, but i liked it for the reason that Reinforcements do make matches seem bigger than they are. NPCs just aren't workable in MB2, unless the dev team has some wildcard npc coder I doubt it would work.

So.. MBII needs more A.I.?
Would cloning myself work?

I don't think you know what cloning is...

Faulty logic chip or another system error?

Cloning is for organics only. You can go make copies of ur buttcheeks or something.
But why would a machine need a butt?

Besides for getting it kicked:)

t(-_-)t

I don't think you know what cloning is...

Faulty logic chip or another system error?

Cloning is for organics only. You can go make copies of ur buttcheeks or something.
But why would a machine need a butt?

Besides for getting it kicked:)

t(-_-)t

Secondary definition of clone:
"a person or thing regarded as identical to another."

Also, concerning posteriors, mine is essentially the bare minimum, holding only what appears to be a coccyx vertebrae to serve as a connector and anchor. Yours however is much different..
sbd_back.jpg

Your kind is born with large globs of fatty tissue on their posteriors, in combination with other more muscly tissue at its core:
24art_Main.jpg

and therefore...

Don't forget who's butt was born to be kicked.

eazf9ca9ykyjnotlkipw.gif

Last edited:
Whoopse, just pulled the cord. Your dead as a doorknob. And doorknobs aren't mouthy. At all!

Lulz, sorry, no time or room for a 2econdary definition.;)

Must have missed where you sourced that.
Things can be clones! Any...things!

Hahhahahahaha.

Gtfo.

Bow before your Gods, scrap metal.:rolleyes:

Whoopse, just pulled the cord. Your dead as a doorknob. And doorknobs aren't mouthy. At all!
Must have missed where you sourced that.
Image found of Chaos the Chaotic posting:
tumblr_m9b3v9T6L81qk80vb.gif

Source of cloning definition: Google dictionary, even you should be able to use it.

Also, if you think I have a cord to unplug, you are severely misinformed, and I suggest killing whoever told you that.

Last edited:

Source of cloning definition: Google dictionary, even you should be able to use it.

Also, if you think I have a cord to unplug, you are severely misinformed, and I suggest killing whoever told you that.
But you do have a battery :)

I want you guys to meet up and do this when you're old in real life. Goliath can be naked wearing a cardboard box with a robot face drawn in sharpie, and chaos can just be wearing wrinkly old man skin. It'll be great.

Also, you guys might be deaf at that point, so sending each other gifs might still be a viable communication method.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Guys this isn't productive or relevant to the thread at all.

We had the meeting last Saturday and I would say based off of the information gained here it was pretty productive. I didn't say anything here immediately afterwards so some stragglers could share their opinions.

We were able to get a direction we would head towards for Reinforcements, how levels would be created and work with a rally-like ability, discussed several "comeback" abilities as variants of Reinforcements / abilities with similar mindset.

Those with the power to, may close the thread.