Confirmed walking doesn't work hehe xD it's been like 2 years now

walking doesnt work for at least 3 classes. clones, soldiers, arcs (maybe more) if you walk and strafe back and forth you progressively slow down to a standstill

the only thing i know about it is that it doesn't happen when i have my fps limited really low (15-50) and it gets progressively worse as u get up to a tolerable number, at com_maxfps 200 which is what i use if u change direction once u are stuck

can agree with this. it seems to be when ur fps is above ur HZ rate. not sure tho

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I brought this up before v1 was released (6 years ago now?) and a few times since, but it's one of those little things, probably buried in code that hasn't been touched in a decade or more, so most coders probably haven't wanted to attempt monkeying with it.

Did some quick testing, above com_maxfps 125 would render any/most walking movement null unless you were already running in that direction. Affected classes: Soldier, Clone, Arc, Wookie.

Pressing sprint for clone/arc will override walking issue for the given direction.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
What sort of mad lad plays over 125 fps, the god tier fps for quake 3 engine? Even 125 fps constant can be hard to maintain in this game.

What sort of mad lad plays over 125 fps, the god tier fps for quake 3 engine? Even 125 fps constant can be hard to maintain in this game.

125, 200, 250, 333 are all good, though 333 in open won’t be the case.

Last edited:

redsaurus

No timescale on a fix, but an explanation:
  1. At higher client FPS you’re sending more input frames to the server with a shorter frame time.
  2. To ensure FPS independent(-ish) behaviour the server multiplies various changes in velocity by the frame time.
  3. Velocity is snapped to nearest integer for networking efficiency after processing each client frame.
  4. For very low move speeds (i.e. slow classes walking), the ground friction means that acceleration is very small.

Putting these together, at low move speeds and high framerates the change in velocity is so small that the integer snapping causes the velocity to get stuck at ~0.

(basically just use a lower frame rate)

Fang

Donator
i feel like crouching is faster than walking when i play at high frames or in general

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
i feel like crouching is faster than walking when i play at high frames or in general
AFAIK the issue is exactly the same for crouching, but I could be wrong.