VOIP?

I'm sure this has been mentioned numerous times before, but I was wondering if it were possible to add VOIP to MB2. It would be awesome, really. Here is how it would work, should it ever be added-- It's a basic setup, you get in-game, and you can talk with everyone while the game is loading. When the match starts, you can only talk with your team. Once you die, you can talk with anyone who is dead on either team. The default hotkey for voice activation would be X (or something) and can obviously be changed in settings, and of course there would be a command to mute someone, ranging from minutes, hours, or even permanently depending on the severity, and depending on the server, there would be an option to mute someones voice locally by clicking their name in the tab menu.

I think this is a good idea and I've always wanted it in MB2. What'ya think?

Online chat services such as Discord, Teamspeak, and even Skype fulfill this purpose well enough. Quake Live managed to modify Quake 3 Arena to allow VOIP.

Now, enough with the naysaying. This could be a good idea, and a bad idea. People could spam voice chat, etc, etc, but it would be good for people without any of the previously mentioned services. One thing is for sure: There would need to be a way to get rid of it, or otherwise disable it as a server setting. To be honest with you, I enjoy playing enough without hearing this:

Yes! I agree with you, but I did say there would be an option for any player to locally mute a player. You would hit tab and click their name and it would give you the option to mute them just for you.

As for Teamspeak and discord etc, I joined the MovieBattles 2 Teamspeak and there was one person in it and he was AFK, and it said he was last awake like 8 hours ago. I'm sure there are other underground Teamspeak servers, but none of us have access to them. If MB2 got voice chat, everyone would use it!

As for Teamspeak and discord etc, I joined the MovieBattles 2 Teamspeak and there was one person in it and he was AFK, and it said he was last awake like 8 hours ago. I'm sure there are other underground Teamspeak servers, but none of us have access to them. If MB2 got voice chat, everyone would use it!
Discord is the more widely used option, it would be wise to use Discord instead of Teamspeak.

Right. You would't have to gather anyone if it were different. Plus you have to add the person as a friend and personally invite them or a group using a code and it's stupid and a hassle.

Karus

Donator
I doubt it'd even be possible, but never say never.
I'd really like an in-game voice chat option. But it would be irritating speaking to everyone on your team whilst hearing some dickhead sitting there spamming the "MEDAAKK! I NEED A MEDAKKK! THEY'VE GOT AIR SUPPAHRT!" chat lines.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
as someone with some coding experience i'll say that it's decently likely that this isn't really possible.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
well if an MB2 member is disagreeing with me, then i guess that's a good sign??...????

i didn't quite mean "literally impossible" so much as "so much ground-up work that it probably will never happen"

There is immense worth my dude. I really want to try this, it would be really cool, plus you found that github of how to enable it :)

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
I agree that there's a bunch of worth to it, in general, but, since there's an official Discord, then it feels like there's not thaaat much difference between saying "get on voice chat" and saying "get on the Discord" except that Discord requires some further installation/setup. But even then, the VOIP would require some initial setup by each user.

Like, it would be a bit more convenient than Discord for immediate use, but then again, what if it's less convenient in other functional ways? Discord provides voice servers and features and stuff.

And even with that github, it's still a bunch of work to install the whole functionality into MB2.Edit

The better thing to do might just be to very determinedly encourage tryhards to Get On Discord in-game until it becomes a regular thing, until a regular population forms on Discord.

either that or join a clan that already has an active voice channel. I think AOD might?

Karus

Donator
I agree that there's a bunch of worth to it, in general, but, since there's an official Discord, then it feels like there's not thaaat much difference between saying "get on voice chat" and saying "get on the Discord" except that Discord requires some further installation/setup. But even then, the VOIP would require some initial setup by each user.

Like, it would be a bit more convenient than Discord for immediate use, but then again, what if it's less convenient in other functional ways? Discord provides voice servers and features and stuff.

And even with that github, it's still a bunch of work to install the whole functionality into MB2.Edit

The better thing to do might just be to very determinedly encourage tryhards to Get On Discord in-game until it becomes a regular thing, until a regular population forms on Discord.
Agreed. A lot of people suffer from lag spikes on MB2 servers and it's usually nothing to do with their own connection (since their internet speed is fine/doesn't lag on other games). Basically, a lot of people would be lagging on voice chat. Which would be annoying and that'd spark up a whole new issue (as if MBII doesn't have enough problems as it is lol). Plus, considering that MBII now has an official Discord (thanks Vis), which in turn has it's OWN servers specifically for voice chat quality/speed, there's not a big enough incentive to implement a voice chat into the game.

either that or join a clan that already has an active voice channel. I think AOD might?

The point is, no one is going to download discord or teamspeak to talk to someone over this type of game. I did, and there was one AFK person in the teamspeak and I checked back multiple times. One of the last couple of times I checked back to see if anyone was in there, 3 people had made a locked channel. Imagine if you were playing COD back in the day, and in order to talk to the people in the lobby, you would have to go download an app from the store, as would they.

I experimented earlier; I said "join the MB2 teamspeak!!" and posted the link in a game and was banned for advertising, so I went to a different server and said the same thing, and like 4 people said no, and no one actually joined. That is why the teamspeak or discord is pointless.

Also, people won't lag because of voice chat. They generally lag because of the server location. If it is an EU server and they are connecting from california, it will be a bumpy ride, vice versa.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
It's a hassle to get the game minimized anyways. Most people aren't going to close their game to do it.

This may just be foolish enough to bring more players to the game.

Would definitely be an incentive for base/JA+ players to come check the game out as well.

'like wow, this mod implements mic chatting!'

Then again, with this community, I can already see how things would go on a populated server, but then again, if it's made simple to mute anyone you want, I don't see much of an issue anyway.

I think it would change the mod drastically, for the better.