The ONLY gripe I have had with dueling

I love dueling in this game. You've likely seen me on many different dueling servers, and not so much on open servers. I disagree with what most people have to say about the dueling system, example being "____ is too good/spammy/bad/slow/impossible." Although my favorite style, purple, is in need of some dire changes, I have only one thing to say about dueling that continually turns me off, time and time again.

The animations are just too unrealistic.
Every fifth person I fight uses only yellow and does "masterful," "skilled," combos that aren't combos at all.
There comes a point where "combo" is way different than "input so many swings that my saber is literally just wiggling in your torso making it impossible to PB."
I don't know how to describe it otherwise. A lot of combos are just sabers coming in so many different directions that it all meshes together into one spot. My chest. It makes it literally impossible to perfect-block, and more importantly to myself, it breaks my immersion. There should never be a moment in a video game as awesome as this one that makes me think, "oh yeah. I'm playing a video game that people can abuse."

What are your thoughts? Am I correct, or do I just need better eyesight?

Jaikanatar

US Official Server Admin
Footwork and spacing can make them have to over extend their combos which make the animations easier to read. Furthermore, you need only pb the first hit in a combo to negate them from gaining acm

Footwork and spacing can make them have to over extend their combos which make the animations easier to read. Furthermore, you need only pb the first hit in a combo to negate them from gaining acm
Why are they allowed to saber wiggle in the first place?

I love dueling in this game. You've likely seen me on many different dueling servers, and not so much on open servers. I disagree with what most people have to say about the dueling system, example being "____ is too good/spammy/bad/slow/impossible." Although my favorite style, purple, is in need of some dire changes, I have only one thing to say about dueling that continually turns me off, time and time again.

The animations are just too unrealistic.
Every fifth person I fight uses only yellow and does "masterful," "skilled," combos that aren't combos at all.
There comes a point where "combo" is way different than "input so many swings that my saber is literally just wiggling in your torso making it impossible to PB."
I don't know how to describe it otherwise. A lot of combos are just sabers coming in so many different directions that it all meshes together into one spot. My chest. It makes it literally impossible to perfect-block, and more importantly to myself, it breaks my immersion. There should never be a moment in a video game as awesome as this one that makes me think, "oh yeah. I'm playing a video game that people can abuse."

What are your thoughts? Am I correct, or do I just need better eyesight?
But it's star wars

then why play this game
Because there's no other multiplayer star wars game that I enjoy more than MBII. I want to be able to enjoy this game even when I'm getting rekt, but I'd prefer to see where swings are coming from.

Fletcher Time

Master of Puppets
Donator
Community Liason
Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find the magical game you seem to be looking for. Look at any star wars game, and you'll see that the lightsaber on lightsaber combat of MBII is some of the best looking and best feeling combat in these games. As with any game, 100% realism will not be attainable. I think you may be asking a bit much, unless you think the devs should add a cool-down on swings? I have a hard time seeing how that would be practical or fun in any way.

SK5

Internal Beta Team
EU Official Server Admin

Actually the first successful bodyhit in a combo grants you acm. So if you are purely going for pblocks, you would have to pb all 4 hits to negate any acm gain.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find the magical game you seem to be looking for. Look at any star wars game, and you'll see that the lightsaber on lightsaber combat of MBII is some of the best looking and best feeling combat in these games. As with any game, 100% realism will not be attainable. I think you may be asking a bit much, unless you think the devs should add a cool-down on swings? I have a hard time seeing how that would be practical or fun in any way.
Haha, the duels would probably never end. Not to mention how it would ruin Jedi vs Gunner.

I think some work on the way that sabers move while combo'ing would be better, actually. Maybe speeding up or slowing down an animation by just a tiny bit while the actual sabering stays the same would help it be clearer

I think some work on the way that sabers move while combo'ing would be better, actually. Maybe speeding up or slowing down an animation by just a tiny bit while the actual sabering stays the same would help it be clearer
Tempest has slowed down the faster styles in the most recent beta so not to worry

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Tempest has slowed down the faster styles in the most recent beta so not to worry

That actually is a problem, more so than a help. Red and Blue's speeds feel good, however Yellow/Cyan's speeds feel really really off, and having timing be off in a system based on timing is a big no no. Purple/Cyan's animation also get really janky with the speed tweaks. I'm honestly concerned with what Tempest plans, but we'll see.

That actually is a problem, more so than a help. Red and Blue's speeds feel good, however Yellow/Cyan's speeds feel really really off, and having timing be off in a system based on timing is a big no no. Purple/Cyan's animation also get really janky with the speed tweaks. I'm honestly concerned with what Tempest plans, but we'll see.
Did he even change yellows speeds? I barely noticed a difference honestly

I'm not sure what you mean. I love this game, and I want to see it improve, and I think saber animations while combo'ing would be an amazing place to start.
You're talking about realism in a Star Wars game to which you replied "which is why I'm upset", sword-fighting in Star Wars is not realistic in no way, and even then MB2's speed combo speed is pretty realistic