Swingblock

Hi.

For the next patch, is it possible to allow players to swingblock the entire swing?

I'd like to hold block, and then tap LMB to initiate a swing, as opposed to tapping LMB then rushing to hit RMB before I am shot by high firepower SBD/Deka or mblocked.

With flinch/knockback in play, the delay in swingblocking makes some jedi v gunner gameplay too one sided. The knockback from shots along with the not getting a hit in addition to the FP drain from flinching should be adequate punishment, right?

Reactions: Rev

DaloLorn

Movie Battles II Team Retired
Since knockback is dependent on the amount of damage you take, Liniyka is correct. There would no longer be any hope of delaying an attacking saberist unless you drained and outright killed them before they could land a swing.

Similarly, as there is no real penalty for swingblocking in a duel, slapping and mblocking would be rendered irrelevant. (Well, more so than they already tend to be.)

Last edited:
I'm afraid this would nerf the Jedi too much.

We would have to relearn how to swingblock entirely. This could take MONTHS, or YEARS to adjust to...

As a Jedi main I am already struggling with the FP drains being far too high. Sometimes I lose all my force to an ENTIRE clip of E11 whilst holding block. This should be at least two--and by the way gunners have far too much ammo: because these FP drains are so low, I have seen players with enough ammo to kill TWO BLOCKING Jedi during a round.

Swingblock is a 'strong' mechanic, sure. If done right you kill the gunner, but it requires a huge amount of skill. What if you flinch? All the gunner needs is 100% accuracy on a strafing target. This is ridiculously easy for any level of ability. Why is the Jedi having to jump through hoops by clicking left click, right click, A DIRECTIONAL BUTTON AND THEN HAVING TO SWING OUR MOUSE REAL FAST? You seriously mean to say that having gone through all that effort to land the first swing, we have to do it all again if they hit us?

Learning to aim is easy. Face it. This is MBII. This isn't some special needs game like quake where alleged 'pros' are struggling to get ~60% accuracy with a hitscan weapon.

I can tell you are a new Jedi player and not an expert like me because what you suggest would turn the system that Jedi players have taken years to master on its head.

You've disgraced the Jedi Council and I'm kicking you out of my duelling clan.

As a Jedi main I am already struggling with the FP drains being far too high. Sometimes I lose all my force to an ENTIRE clip of E11 whilst holding block. This should be at least two--and by the way gunners have far too much ammo: because these FP drains are so low, I have seen players with enough ammo to kill TWO BLOCKING Jedi during a round.
This is hardly a generalized example of how saberist actually plays on open. First of all being a jedi main and still struggling? What the fuck have you been doing while not applying yourself playing one of the easiest classes. I'm not going to tell you how saberist should be played but I do have a lot of experience with it and fact of the matter is, saberist can tank anything thrown at it in reasonable amounts, you can choose your battles far better than any other class, simply due to rinse and repeat nature of fp regeneration. Fine, then you found yourself in a 1v1 situation that you thought you could handle, but the gunner was far more accurate than you with your 1-swing instakill weapon; the rationale is you got far too cocky, did you even try forcepowers? - It's a rhetorical question, as the saberist kit is far over packed with things that can kill gunners in 1v1 with no huge complications.
Sometimes I lose all my force to an ENTIRE clip of E11 whilst holding block.
Speaking of high' E-11 fp drains, I know for a fact that E-11 right now is at the lower end of weapons that even sustain draining fp, unless someone has god-like accuracy or the saberist plays like he doesn't need to conserve fp. I'm not going to address your complaint about ammo, for some weapons it is ridiculously bloated i.e clone rifle; some are totally undersupplied i.e arc's m5. In a pinch M5 just rips off your ammo while you do nerf ball damage with the snipe mode, points well spent.

However ammo is not the direct issue that you are trying to portray as being a reason why saberists suck in your opinion, instead the main error in your example lied in your decision to block and wait until you are out of fp and be vulnerable, because a gunner would struggle more with accurate shooting when the jedi is not blocking but moving.
I have seen players with enough ammo to kill TWO BLOCKING Jedi during a round.
Regarding the anecdotal evidence of 2 blocking jedi dying to gunners? Heh well nothing to say here at all, except one of my anecdotal evidence of a jedi steamrolling through 5-6 gunners in 3 seconds. An image of blocking jedi dying to gunners doesn't really say much about anything other than their levels of skill.

Why you need to stop being a jedi main immediately: learn other classes for their weaknesses and strengths, you will improve your awareness through learning what their capabilities are and how to respond to their actions.

From a saberist and gunner main of 13 years of experience.

A lot of people nonetheless actually think exactly as Crusader posted. also as Descartes said:
"Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company." Not to mean that hasn't already happened..

But do those people care about gameplay, or winning?

Because 1 good Jedi can solo an entire team of 15 players in open right now.

In all seriousness, if you care about winning you will play the saberist class, so what are we talking about here. Ofcourse most jedi players are newbies that flood the servers hence the class seems shite for lots.

"What are we talking about"

Wellll... it seemed odd to me to have an fp counter, flinch and knockback feature, but also demand on top of it that a jedi who swings must take damage too. So we were discussing why we cant let Jedi super swingblock.

The vets who know more than me (politely) explained why my concern was dumb. So the discussion really already ended.

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
You're already under the misconception that the increased knockback would be in addition to flinch. The direction was going with what was tested in the gunner betas however long ago where it was replacing flinch with knockback that was normalized (e.g. it's not depending on damage for most weapons and thus wouldn't be affected by any amount of damage reduction).

Also, if you're trying to waddle up to an SBD or Deka and rely on swingblock then that's already a pretty big mistake right now (pending adjustments to SBD).

As far as why it's kind of a silly idea, saberists in melee range are basically fully committed (or should be). If you aren't relying on force powers to CC enemies, then you need to rely on footwork/countering off of being shot/distractions from teammates/etc to land the swing without being killed. If you're not in a position to do that, then....why should you get the kills on the gunner or be safe while swinging around?

Last edited:
That's a lot of good info. If stagger/flinch is going to be removed, then there wouldn't be a reason to add super swingblock at all because they shouldn't swing unless they're in range anyways, and if they do, they should be punished for it.

As for SBD adjustments (and changing topics since you're here) have you guys considered adding cortosis 2 back? I know a lot of people want to reduce how powerful SBD is, but I always felt having a very effective anti-Jedi class was the right call.