Shitty TD suggestion

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
TD should have a (super?)push shockwave outside of the actual instadeath explosion radius.

just 'cause

(actual arguments: it's a little goofy to have a literal fine line between bunch-o-damage and no-effect, and it's also a bit goofy to have a big fuckin explosion of death that doesn't have a shockwave at all. Although the "area-vaporization ball of doom" thing sorta works as a sci-fi thing I guess. As if it just superheats an area without causing an explosion.)

(but imagine getting just out of the Deadly Radius of a TD and getting sent flying a bit nevertheless. I think that'd be pretty cool. Like people who were miles outside the WWII Nukes who nevertheless got thrown across the room by the shockwave.)

(that being said, TD is already chaos-inducing and ridiculously dangerous so this would probably be overkill)

(it doesn't have to be a superpush. A regular push or some regular grenade knockback with no damage would be fine.)

Last edited:

k4far

Banned
Donator
Termal Detonator is a weapon of mass destruction as it is. The shockwave, it could disable nearby machines for a moment and drain nearby people of ammo - Bounty Hunter would need to be extra careful.

...Seems like too much. It can vaporize whole team already.... Definitely no need for an improvement.

Last edited:

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
TD's didn't used to always kill people who were on the very edge of the blast. In older builds it had damage falloff, but I think it was changed to do full damage in the entire area at some point as I haven't seen anyone survive on the edge in literally years. If you were just barely touching the very, very edge of the blast as a you could survive. Momentarily. Before you were sent flying into a wall at mach 5. Unless you were a STR3 wook.

I wouldn't mind seeing that changed back. Even though it was silly, it was extremely rare and very amusing.

Last edited:
TD's didn't used to always kill people who were on the very edge of the blast. In older builds it had damage falloff, but I think it was changed to do full damage in the entire area at some point as I haven't seen anyone survive on the edge in literally years. If you were just barely touching the very, very edge of the blast as a you could survive. Momentarily. Before you were sent flying into a wall at mach 5. Unless you were a STR3 wook.

I wouldn't mind seeing that changed back. Even though it was silly, it was extremely rare and very amusing.
Ofc I don't have the code but I would say edge of the radius does about 250 dmg. Survived it a few times with Health 2 Wookiee.

That was recently so I don't think the code has changed.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
TD has been unchanged since the graphics were changed to be a nice expanding glowing orb.

It still has damage fall-off and the deals knockback damage on people who survive. Essentially a superpush. Generally only wookiees get to experience this.

I would wager that full HP SBDs and maybe max armor BH/Mando/ARC could survive the very edge of the blast and get thrown the fuck back to their deaths. Would love to try that out :D

I do think the Thermal is currently in a nice place and giving it more power would be unwarranted.

I would wager that full HP SBDs and maybe max armor BH/Mando/ARC could survive the very edge of the blast and get thrown the F**k back to their deaths
95% certain they die. I've never survived a td with any other class than wook.

Maybe sbd with the anti sniper armor and 200 hp could tank it?

Never survived it outside of wook as well, and I'm pretty sure the canonical idea of TD is that it just evaporates everything in it's radius, which would then imply it had a pulling effect rather than a pushing effect... However the wiki just flat out says:
The result of the explosion was an expanding particle field that could atomize any material that did not conduct heat or thermal energy within the fixed blast radius; typically five to six meters, though some had an even greater radius. Custom grenades could have a blast up to 100 meters. Unlike other grenades, a thermal detonator's blast would only go as far as its blast radius. After that, the blast field would collapse, and anything even slightly beyond the blast radius would be left unharmed.

TL;DR, TD is both gud, and canonically accurate.

k4far

Banned
Donator
Random thought. Why we can not have 3 slightly different variants of Thermal Detonator?

1. The classic,
2. One with increased blast so it would push nearby people and deal lesser damage kinda slight crowd control - cheapest.
3. One with bigger area of effect thus harder to avoid - the most expensive.

Last edited:

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Add a multi-TD throw where you throw 3 TDs in different directions plz
Yes, throw one forwards as usual, one in the complete opposite direction (backwards, at your team), and one straight up on top of yourself.

We need this feature.

also @LanceOfLonginus your citation totally invalidates my complaint, gg

Maybe add lots of dummy TDs which are the same as the normal ones except they don't deal any damage? Throw them at the enemies and see them run.

Better yet, throw a TD but have it set so it doesnt go off till you press a button, watch the jedi/sith play one hell of a game of TD tennis

Better yet, throw a TD but have it set so it doesnt go off till you press a button, watch the jedi/sith play one hell of a game of TD tennis
Nice idea for a map. Make a map with the TD court walled off by four walls. At the beginning of each round a TD appears falling down in the middle. At both sides there is 1 Jedi, and they have to Push the TD until it touches one of them detonating that player.