Saber Throw

I was wondering if it is possible to make recalling your lightsaber after throwing it have a range limit similar to the movies (like 20 feet?), and collide with walls/objects which would make the saber drop where it hits?

If that is possible, I think it would be neat to have the saber throw do more like a blue swing on impact. That would make it much more worth using, but also add risk to it so you can't just throw it and run behind a few walls and wait for it to come back.

MB2's Saber Throw just doesn't even make sense. It can still be useful against someone who is low on hp and running away though ( aside from them sometimes blocking it somehow if they are a Saberist... ). I have no idea if saber throw should even do blue swing damage, it'd have to be balanced in a different way. Saber Throw with high damage would just get abused against gunners, current Saber Throw is almost useless except in rare circumstances. Bleh.

I don't even play jedi and I noticed that thing just tapping me does like 10 damage, not really worth a jedi to disarm themselves for 10 dmg.

Maybe make the throw animated and slower? I dunno... would be neat to make it effective but also risky.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Revamping saber throw is something I'd like to see some day. I've had (balanced compared to base) proposals for it over the years.

Saber throw is kinda one of those cool finishers you pull off for a super stylish kill. It'd be good to see it changed if it doesn't result in jedi sitting behind their gunners and cover and throwing their saber out every 10 seconds or so, even if they couldn't have any walls between them and the saber to get them back.

At the very least saber throw could have hit detection that isn't all over the place

I think it should be bumped to 80 base damage without any resistance and have a cooldown so you cant just spam 80 damage throws

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Well, the current saber throw is like it is because of balance changes to it in the past.

From a logical stand-point, it doesn't make sense that Jedi are unable to boomerang their lightsaber like in the movies, since they are supposed to be controlling it with the force, but it turns out that balancing a skill like saberthrow isn't very easy considering the fact that Jedi/Sith are primarily a melee class with a few buyable ranged skills.

In order for this to work in open, you'd have to have the boomeranging ST as a buyable skill, where cost can balance it out along with maybe a few requirements. Perhaps you'd need defense 3 and deflect 3 and then buying the ST would cost just enough that you wouldn't be able to buy push 3, only push 2. That way, you could have it deal a decent amount of HP dmg, but use a high amount of FP and continue the drain over time. Perhaps you could make it do Damage per sec instead of hitting once. That way, if you aim and control it you could hold the saberthrow in an enemy for a second or two and kill him at the cost of all your FP. when FP runs out while you're saberthrowing you drop the saber and aren't able to get it back for a few seconds.

Shooting the thrown lightsaber could make it drop to the ground, but the jedi would be able to immediately pull it to himself without the Cooldown incurred by low FP saberdrop.

But is all of this trouble really necessary? It's not like the ability is a crucial part of the jedi/sith class. It's more like a cool side-gimmick that can be used for the occasional trick/kill-steal.

How about a basejka-like saber throw, but make it move towards where you are aiming, so you can't just hold throw and duck behind a wall or box. Give it its own force power back, and level 1 acts as the current saber throw. If it hits a wall, it falls. Successful hits go right back to your hand along with a cooldown. Yeah, totally balanced, maybe.

^ cause being able to insta kill soldiers,clones, et, and commander as a jedi acriss the map would be balanced guys
well it has a cooldown and leaves you open so its basically a jedi equalivalent to the mandolorian rocket, plus its easy to dodge and has horrible hit detection it wouldnt be used too often and would often be a suicide throw in an attempt to kill before killed

Preston

Nerd
well it has a cooldown and leaves you open so its basically a jedi equalivalent to the mandolorian rocket, plus its easy to dodge and has horrible hit detection it wouldnt be used too often and would often be a suicide throw in an attempt to kill before killed
Just, just no. Jedi does not need a buff for saber throw. And using its horrible hit detection as an excuse to make the damage quadrupled isnt a good argument

Re-create Keshire's saberthrow where it acted as a spear throw and could stick to walls. The dmg was about the same but it could stick to walls, while on!

It added a new dimension in that you could trick gunners into thinking you were behind a certain corner/spot and then wham bam, come up from behind and swish them.

Limiting the range you can recall the saber would fix a lot of the abuse that might happen I'd think. If you throw it far away, you shouldn't be able to get it back without getting close to it. If you throw it then hide behind cover, you should have to stay out of cover while recalling it back.

Right now anyone who uses it just throws the saber and runs, then it flies through 4 walls and lands in their hand from 300 feet away.

i use saber throw as a "he's over there bud" or a "i want to moderately tk you for 30 damage instantly" and nothing else

the terrible hitbox makes me think it should just be taken out of the game until an actual use for saber throw is implemented, or the hitbox is fixed