Saber Lock?

So yeah saber lock, I have come to this idea adding saber lock in one of the upcoming builds? My idea is to saber lock when you parry but not always happen due to the nature of parrying. So like whoever clicks more wins the saber lock just like in Movie duels 2? Let me know some ideas and if you think this is dumb or not Lol.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
yes this is dumb. saber lock means you are more susceptible to gunner fire. also, what would be the outcome of the win lose? instant kill? doesnt sound 2 gud 2 me

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
Click spam contests aren't fun or skillful.

Besides, anyone can just get an autoclick script that clicks 100 times per second. Win every saber lock you ever come across. Until you meet someone else with an autoclick script. Then you'll be stuck in a saber lock for 5 minutes.

Hi
Click spam contests aren't fun or skillful.

Besides, anyone can just get an autoclick script that clicks 100 times per second. Win every saber lock you ever come across. Until you meet someone else with an autoclick script. Then you'll be stuck in a saber lock for 5 minutes.
Good thinking.. Hm

Pretty sure it was in B16? And even then no one really liked it. It's a nice cinematic thing but doesn't translate well to a multiplayer mod

This idea has been suggested on the forums multiple times over the years. It just wouldn't work with MB2 though.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
I think it's in OJP? You can maybe download that and try for yourself how utterly ass it is to play with. In OJP you can fight vs bots so just do that and see the horrific shite mechanic in action. Sounds cool on paper, looks cool, but it's bad in actual gameplay.

It's only used to record scenes but hard to play it as main game with those weird "mechanics"...

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Saber locks could work, even in terms of practical gameplay. Though of course not as they are implemented in the original basejka or jk2, or OJP enhanced. For example, a lock could occur in a very specific situation such as a parry (cancel-out) that also happens to be a saber/saber collision, and/or a parry where both parties are swingblocking... and once the lock is initiated the first party to re-press attack instantly wins the lock (instead of a button press spam mechanic like in basejka or jk2), with the effect being a stagger for the other party or even a disarm in certain circumstances, or other effects, whatever.

My primary concern with the saber locking mechanic, let alone the concept, is how exploitable it could be in conjunction with a multitude of other factors. There are a plethora of questions that first must be addressed before even considering implementing this mechanic:

1) Will saber blocking take BP?
a) If so, how much BP will be taken and how is that going to be calculated?
b) Will the amount of BP drained be affected by saber skills/attributes/point investments?

2) How will the tangibility of the players during the clash be affected during battles/duels?
a) Does each player receive invincibility?
~ If so, how will this new mechanic be balanced in order to make it not easily exploitable in consideration of other players?
b) If not, how would players compensate in particularly chaotic environments such as ones with the presence of lamers?
c) Would a successful player that has won the clash instantaneously kill the target?
~ If not, what would happen to the target upon defeat?

3) What prevents a player from immediately clashing with the target and interrupting skillful duelists, thereby abusing the mechanic?
a) How would exploiters of this mechanic be handled?
b) Would there be an option to back out of a clash?
c) If certain styles get advantages over clashes, what stops an abuser from spamming unready targets with a clash?

These are but a few questions of mine concerning this proposed mechanism. It is not that I necessarily disagree with the implementation of a saber locking mechanic (I would support more development of dueling in general), but that there are other areas of concern for the developers that should be looked at, such as balancing maps and dueling, and having the developers focus on an entirely new mechanic would take time away needed to fix aforementioned issues.

Last edited: