Saber changes 2018 edition

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I believe the upcoming Saber vs Gun changes are being done very well by Tempest & the mb2 team and that's great. We can expect a refreshing patch in that regard.

Which leaves us with slightly more complicated, and controversial, Saber vs Saber gameplay tweaks. I'm not sure what is the state on that, there are multiple versions of it internally.

Regardless i wish to restate what i believe are core directions that need to be taken, and elaborate a little bit on them, as well as discussing a few more, less crucial tweaks. All these tweaks take the current public build as reference.

Core directions:
  • Either remove ACM and ACC entirely, or:
    • Revert ACM to a similar state to pre-v1.1: fast styles start gaining ACM at 8 ACC, medium styles 6 ACC, strong styles 4 ACC. Each ACM point gives a 1.3x multiplier to all BP drains (so 1 ACM = 1.3x, 2 ACM = (1.3)^2, 3 ACM = (1.3)^3 etc., the max being 9 ACM = (1.3)^9 = 10.6 - for the record in the old system 9 ACM had a 12x multiplier and the progression was harsher like 1.5x, 3x etc.).
    • ACC is strictly only gained (+1) and lost (-1) on bodyhits (first bodyhits of a chain only). Due to fast styles being different (blue is faster, cyan was FA-only) compared to the old system, they should have the single exception of losing 2 ACC when bodyhit by medium or strong styles.
  • Remove all perks, meaning that the differences between styles in all situations should be only ever be the stance animation, AP, BP, HP dmg, swing animations & speeds, chaining differences (max swings in a chain and chaining direction restrictions), and ACM as described above. Nothing else, nothing tied to mblocks nor parries nor PBs nor semi-PBs nor NB nor force powers nor being knocked down or anything.
  • Reintroduce old chaining direction restrictions (minimum of 3 quadrants for Red and Cyan, 2 quadrants for all other styles).
  • Replace perks with more extreme AP/BP differences, similar to the old system (pre-v1.1). In short, the AP/BP numbers for styles should be along the lines of: Yellow 12/56 (unchanged from old system), Blue 6/60, Cyan 8/52, Red 18/50 (great AP without nudge, and still decent BP), Purple 25/35 (harder to PB than red because of faster starting swings and softer chaining restriction, devastating AP, horrible BP, just like the old system but less extreme - it was 30/30), Duals 11/54 (powerhouse with a slight BP weakness), Staff 10/64 (tank with still decent power). These are somewhat crucial, much like removing ACM, in order to encourage style switching again.
  • Parries deal 20% of bodyhit damage, semi-PBs 50%, NBs 20% (if NB is introduced). They should all use the same calculations as bodyhits and just apply a factor to it, so that all situational modifiers are taken into account (for example if A and B are parrying each other, but A is walking and B running, B will deal less BP dmg because running swings are weaker).
  • Holding mouse 1 drains 4 BP per second (i.e. 1 BP per 250ms, just a simple drain activated when pressing mouse 1 with a 250ms debounce timer, not tied to swings or anything, only tied to pressing mouse 1), replacing current swing drains. This brings back the skill requirement to tap mouse 1 in order to optimize your BP.
  • Reduce overall BP regeneration and increase overall BP drains. Meaning compared to current standards, so that BP drains are more crippling and lasting, and fights quicker and harsher. Can't say an accurate number as i'm not coding and testing, but BP regen should be 1.5x lower than current at most, and BP drains something like 1.3x. The current BP regen if i'm not mistaken is 5BP per 400ms for Defense 2 and 3BP per 400ms for Defense 1: so it should be 4BP and 2BP respectively.

Less critical tweaks but still important (mix of my own ideas and ideas taken from sev's original post in I haven't played MBII consistently for 3 years, here's why. that i believe are great):
  • Remove anything related to perfect parry.
  • I know some people don't like the idea, but i see little reason not to allow semi-PB in all types of interrupts and also while running, especially if overall swing drains are going to be quite high and regeneration low. It purely increases the skillcap and allows you to further outskill people 1vX.
  • Mblocks having an instacounter is good as a flavor to increase the skillcap but the instacounter should have no bonus damage, and also the mblock shouldn't stop the attacker's chain.
  • Short jumps with +use should cost no BP. Sev's idea, i think it subtly favors more jumping which would actually be great, as mb2 already totally discourages it in saber duels.
  • Some more of sev's changes. I'm unsure what the current public values are, but crouching should definitely at least reduce your dmg by 50% and increase your dmg taken by 50%, if not more. For jumping attacks there should be a risk vs reward factor, taking 30% more dmg while in the air but dealing 10% more dmg too.
  • Running attacks should deal at least -20% dmg, swingblocks normal dmg and walking non-swingblocks 10% more dmg. I know sev wants swingblocks to deal more dmg than non-swingblocks but i don't think anyone can agree with the reasoning behind that; yes theoretically speaking it takes more mechanical skill to swingblock, but the idea of swingblock is tied with "a more careful attack" which protects you against slap and mblock. For above average duelists where people have no trouble with the pure mechanics of swingblocking, it's actually a skillful decision-making flavor to purposely choose to not swingblock when you know you don't have to fear a slap or a mblock.
  • Finally i would like to see the point cost system changed so that jedi/sith are forced to buy yellow as their first style. This allows in particular to decrease the overall costs, each style could be 6 points instead of 8. Yellow itself should be 6 points, remember how in the old system you had both yellow and slow blue (useful for chasing other saberists and taking BP damage) for only 8 points. Overall i'd make Medium styles 6/4/4, Fast styles 6/0/4, Strong styles 6/0/4, provided that you are forced to buy medium styles lvl 1 to unlock fast styles and strong styles.

If i were the one coding, i would have a ton of smaller tweaks including more technical and non-visible things, but there is no point to detail these things as a mere spectator, the one implementing the changes has to choose and test these things.

The tweaks above are more general things that i believe would improve the system by a tremendous margin, regardless of what details are under the hood. And i'd like to believe i'm not alone in liking these general directions.

Going backto the subject:
I really would like to see the styles equal. So people stop bitching about dual spam, staff, cyan and blue. I believe that 1.3 was pretty balanced when it comes to styles excluding cyan and red.
In general this crap is getting boring. Everywhere yellow. Open mode, yellow, duel mode yellow. Please do something about the styles cost and usefulness of the other styles.

Bullet points:
- ACM should be gone. More bp damage and much faster regen for obvious reasons. Skilled player could take def 1 and still be able to regenerate while saving 12 points.
- I think the deflect arc should be same for every style. Why? because sometimes you don't want to deflect with staff but to dodge to avoid fp drain.
- Rework duals. It's shit in current state. The style is ridiculous...
- Rework red. It's shit in current state. Make it like 1.3.
- Please remove that retarded stagger after mblock from staff. In general rework or remove perks completely.
- Rework purple. Why dont you make it faster and remove that stupid perk? Make it like Kreia's fast purple from original old Dxun FA map.

And Stassin. Please. Do not start from that Beta stage. Scrap it and start from 1.3 or 1.4 which were stable builds. This is not stable nor cool.
Why make another Frankenstein???????

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
It's fine, tempest's branch has many, many good things on it, be it code improvement, duel mode features, good sabering gameplay features, and i'm just scratching the surface. In the end i just need to do a bunch of simplifications and some redesigns, it's actually going to be pretty fast now that i've started.

You may not even like what i'll do, i dunno, but yeah removing perks is part of it. And the most crucial part will be to redesign the AP/BP of styles and make it alot more like the old v0 systems, with far more differences between styles. Currently the blocking power of all styles is almost the same, with the maximum relative difference being of 8% between red and blue, and although the attack powers are much more different it still pales in comparison to the old system.

k4far

Banned
Donator
Looking forward to see:
  • considerable slap delay,
  • staff perk not applying to all styles,
  • body hits on failed MBlock,
  • chaining blue and cyan fixed (I can max my ACM by bashing horizontal swing like some retard),
  • ACM not pilling from spam? (reverting to pre 1.1 sounds good if Achilles and Sev approve of this),
  • Increased BP drains and reduced regeneration.

Highly dislike idea of removing perks, don't you dare!
"Holding mouse 1 drains 4 BP per second" - awful idea.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
Looking forward to see:
  • considerable slap delay,
  • staff perk not applying to all styles,
  • body hits on failed MBlock,
  • chaining blue and cyan fixed (I can max my ACM by bashing horizontal swing like some retard),
  • ACM not pilling from spam? (reverting to pre 1.1 sounds good if Achilles and Sev approve of this),
  • Increased BP drains and reduced regeneration.

Highly dislike idea of removing perks, don't you dare!
"Holding mouse 1 drains 4 BP per second" - awful idea.
If you fail an mblock the enemy already gets a bodyhit unless you pb

k4far

Banned
Donator
If you fail an mblock the enemy already gets a bodyhit unless you pb

as a body hit I understand my saber cutting him in half so if he fails to mblock and pb he would end up cut in half, simple and fun