Reworking Dodge

I'm curious what other people think about current Public and Open Beta dodge. I'd also like to know how everyone feels about the design of Dodge and whether it could possibly be reworked in some way.

I'm curious what other people think about current Public and Open Beta dodge. I'd also like to know how everyone feels about the design of Dodge and whether it could possibly be reworked in some way.
I think they have the right idea with dodge, but it definitely needs to be reworked.

Not sure how they could rework it honestly, as a mechanic it's just rather silly - you press class special 1 and for two seconds you're immune to enemy fire. Dodge is fine if you've got room to bait the dodge then back off and let the timer run out but if you get caught in a fight with a commander at close range you're likely to either take heavy damage or die without much possibility of retaliation if the commander's aim is on point, especially if they've got a T-21.

I've seen some CE7 lads do some nasty stuff with dodge, far too strong on public at the moment. The only thing I could think of is base the dodge chance on range, so if you dodge a shot at point blank it drains far more than dodging shots at long range, rather than just being based on a timer.

k4far

Banned
Donator
Removal or as Tempest said reverting dodge to former state and stop protecting legs.

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
- No dodging leg shots (animation doesn't even match this). It's already less damage and actually provides a way to hit someone during their ultra instinct being activated.
- Higher damage shots should drain more of the dodge bar
- Optionally: Have all levels give the same amount of the dodge bar but determine the recharge rate (should be for short bursts in any case)

- No dodging leg shots (animation doesn't even match this). It's already less damage and actually provides a way to hit someone during their ultra instinct being activated.
- Higher damage shots should drain more of the dodge bar
- Optionally: Have all levels give the same amount of the dodge bar but determine the recharge rate (should be for short bursts in any case)
Or make dodge a passive to evade 1 saber or blaster hit per X unit of time.

Dodge? Should only work with pistols and in melee while standing still. And headshots fired within...idr range can not be dodged. Make that idr apply to gunners dodge! So they can be dodged from a distance, but not up close. Huhu.

t(-_-)t

Dodging blaster fire effected by distance? It's like, a totally new concept. I, genius.

Best dodge rework is to remove it from the game and put in something else :)

EDIT: How come some random non force sensitive gunner class can dodge when jedi/sith cannot!?
Uhhh, they can. If you turn on sense 3, you dodge sniper fire while it's active. Anything further than this would be overpowered.

I abuse it myself but think it should be removed, a mechanic that makes you practically invincible isn't fun to play against at all. Also remove the sense 3 dodge. It would need to be replaced with something else though, which is a lot of work

You can cancel an ion blob altogether with dodge and I'm guessing you can probably do the same with a standard blob. 'Nuff said.

Seriously though, what I liked about the old dodge (hold on, don't insult me yet) was that it was meant to counter the omnipresent snipers and was ineffective against other gunners. If it weren't for snipers being so effective due to so many maps having very long and narrow corridors with little cover to no cover, I'd say dodge should be removed altogether. However, given that I'm assuming snipers won't be noticeable reworked, I think something along the lines of the previous anti-sniper dodge could still be useful to make rounds faster for the standard gunners.

Personally, though that could definitely be severely broken in the hands of a good player (looking at you Appo), what about giving the current version of dodge to arc? I'd say arc is one of the least played classes due to dual pistols being absolutely garbage (aiming is horrible with duals and the secondary fire is unreliable due how random it is), M5 being rather slow/standard, and the lack of any real advantage in general. Ironically enough, for the one class that's supposed to be based around agility, I'd say that only arcs lack any real evasive ability. Apart from the special roll forward, the other rolls are absurdly slow (side special roll in particular is just amazingly bad), and jumping does not really offer you a real advantage close-up.

Again, as Appo has shown, some players can make arc work arc with, imo, some serious skills by learning to stay accurate when movin relatively fast in a game that has delayed shots, which is a pretty high entry barrier.

Also, I just thought about it, I think repulse jedi/sith could also use that ability given that they have no defensive options at the moment against gunners (apart from lightning for sith, and pull if you're really good).

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
You can cancel an ion blob altogether with dodge and I'm guessing you can probably do the same with a standard blob. 'Nuff said.

Seriously though, what I liked about the old dodge (hold on, don't insult me yet) was that it was meant to counter the omnipresent snipers and was ineffective against other gunners. If it weren't for snipers being so effective due to so many maps having very long and narrow corridors with little cover to no cover, I'd say dodge should be removed altogether. However, given that I'm assuming snipers won't be noticeable reworked, I think something along the lines of the previous anti-sniper dodge could still be useful to make rounds faster for the standard gunners.

Personally, though that could definitely be severely broken in the hands of a good player (looking at you Appo), what about giving the current version of dodge to arc? I'd say arc is one of the least played classes due to dual pistols being absolutely garbage (aiming is horrible with duals and the secondary fire is unreliable due how random it is), M5 being rather slow/standard, and the lack of any real advantage in general. Ironically enough, for the one class that's supposed to be based around agility, I'd say that only arcs lack any real evasive ability. Apart from the special roll forward, the other rolls are absurdly slow (side special roll in particular is just amazingly bad), and jumping does not really offer you a real advantage close-up.

Again, as Appo has shown, some players can make arc work arc with, imo, some serious skills by learning to stay accurate when movin relatively fast in a game that has delayed shots, which is a pretty high entry barrier.

Also, I just thought about it, I think repulse jedi/sith could also use that ability given that they have no defensive options at the moment against gunners (apart from lightning for sith, and pull if you're really good).

Just my two cents.

You seem to severally underestimate the power of a Arcs.

In overall design, it's supposed to be a parralel to Mando. A very mobile and agile class with the choice of a main blaster rifle with an optional scope, a pair of pistols and some unique gadgets.

Giving it dodge is silly since Arc already has Dex 3, which is basically a version of dodge that actually requires skill. Movement is something that just takes practice and patience, which is just like playing every other gunner class.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180521-231157~2.png
    Screenshot_20180521-231157~2.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

k4far

Banned
Donator
Nice out of context manipulation Tylenol.

I agreed with @Supa about removing dodge and I don't mind seeing Tempest change it to how it used to be in the past. It does not mean I am against participating in this discussion here which you are showing me as with that quote lol, You dick! I do see a reason for this discussion since the majority of Developers already agreed dodge needs to change and they even have a plan how to go about it.

Nice out of context manipulation Tylenol.

I agreed with @Supa about removing dodge and I don't mind seeing Tempest change it to how it used to be in the past. It does not mean I am against participating in this discussion here which you are showing me as with that quote lol, You dick! I do see a reason for this discussion since the majority of Developers already agreed dodge needs to change and they even have a plan how to go about it.
It's just a meme. :(

Reactions: SK5

Just my two cents.

Honestly, I don't want dodge on ARC for one reason alone.

I enjoy that surviving gunfire and avoiding hits as ARC takes skill, if they replaced it with a one button system where the skill ceiling is defined by pressing the dodge button fast enough to avoid two seconds of gunfire, I'd fall out of love with it so quickly that I don't think I could keep playing MB2 in those circumstances lol.

As far as ARC goes though pistols are actually meta, they have shit animations but the bounce is amazing and the dps/force drain on them is crazy good, they're basically better in every way because they're also cheaper but I use the m5 for aesthetic reasons/I have a DC-15S mod for the M5.

If anything though - give a reworked dodge (only protects against sniper/long range shots) to Mandalorian as that class feels really limited once you run out of fuel, just don't do it until the EE-3 scoped is reworked from an instant kill death machine to something like a burst fire weapon.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't want dodge on ARC for one reason alone.

I enjoy that surviving gunfire and avoiding hits as ARC takes skill, if they replaced it with a one button system where the skill ceiling is defined by pressing the dodge button fast enough to avoid two seconds of gunfire, I'd fall out of love with it so quickly that I don't think I could keep playing MB2 in those circumstances lol.

As far as ARC goes though pistols are actually meta, they have shit animations but the bounce is amazing and the dps/force drain on them is crazy good, they're basically better in every way because they're also cheaper but I use the m5 for aesthetic reasons/I have a DC-15S mod for the M5.

If anything though - give a reworked dodge (only protects against sniper/long range shots) to Mandalorian as that class feels really limited once you run out of fuel, just don't do it until the EE-3 scoped is reworked from an instant kill death machine to something like a burst fire weapon.
Giving it to Mando would be just as bad. The only reason why dodge on ET's and Hero's seems plausible was because it kinda of fit lore wise. I'd suggest just keeping dodge for Hero since it's still a one life class, and reworking ETs into some sort of unique advanced CQC training, where the player would have to use it and use manuevers with skill.

Reactions: SK5