Questions on Making and Testing a Map in MBII

Hi all,

I joined this community as a sporadic player a few months ago, but I'm finding myself captivated by the idea of mapmaking. I'm trying to learn the basics for how this works, including how to port a test map I've created into MBII. The first problem seems to be that almost any tutorial that has been linked to is either incomplete or removed.

Just as a proof of concept, I'm trying to make a very simple duel map (literally just a cube room) and import it into MBII to see what it's like to load and run it. From what I've read, I need the following things:
  1. The map, compiled into a .bsp file (test1.bsp)
  2. An .arena file so that MBII shows the map in the menu (test1.arena)
Here's my .arena file
Code:
{
map            "test1"
longname        "Test Map 1"
fraglimit        10
type            "MB"
}
Now, with both these files packed into a .pk3 file in the MBII directory with the .bsp in a "maps" folder and the .arena file in a "scripts" folder, the map DOES show up in MBII but does not load - trying to create a game with the map causes the game to return to the main menu immediately.

I've also seen that a .siege file is necessary, so I copied one from this tutorial and named it test1.siege. Then I packed the .siege file into the "maps" directory. This does not change the failure to load the map in MBII.

Looking around, it seems that maybe Full Authentic files are required for MBII to run the map as well? But some of the maps already in MBII, such as Cloud City, don't seem to contain .mbch files anywhere. To further add to my confusion, none of the standard maps seem to have .siege files either.

As you can guess, I'm pretty confused. Are there any tutorials, maybe on JKHub, or even FAQs that deal with the basics of porting a new map into MBII? It's also possible that I need certain things placed in the map itself - but only Lindsey's tutorial (the link above) seems to even touch upon that subject.

I'd really appreciate any help.

Upvote 0

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Hey!

In the tutorial on Lindseys website you can change the UseTeam value for both teams from Samplemap_Rebels, Samplemap_Imperials to something found in MBAssets3.pk3/ext_data/mb2/teamconfig for initial testing purposes.

We have been slowly moving the team files into MBAssets3 so that we can update them without causing a large download. All maps have had them moved in there already but we only delete the originals once we update the map.

You can find a more complete list of references and stuff for MB2 maps here: Tools

The only thing you really need to get started though is the .siege and info_player_siegeteam1, info_player_siegeteam2 spawns. It should work with just those.

Hey!

In the tutorial on Lindseys website you can change the UseTeam value for both teams from Samplemap_Rebels, Samplemap_Imperials to something found in MBAssets3.pk3/ext_data/mb2/teamconfig for initial testing purposes.

We have been slowly moving the team files into MBAssets3 so that we can update them without causing a large download. All maps have had them moved in there already but we only delete the originals once we update the map.

You can find a more complete list of references and stuff for MB2 maps here: Tools

The only thing you really need to get started though is the .siege and info_player_siegeteam1, info_player_siegeteam2 spawns. It should work with just those.
Thank you! I'll try to make the import work again when I get the chance. I'll let you know if I have other questions :)

Lindsey

Movie Battles II Team
I copied one from this tutorial and named it test1.siege.

Blargggggh I really do apologize that you had to go there, I thought that old site had been consumed by the cesspools of free web hosting years ago @_@

I will get an updated version of those tutorials out soon, I came out of retirement for one more map so I had to relearn a few things so definitely want new mappers to get rolling quicker with fewer questions XD

Thanks for going to the effort of making something for the mod, I look forward to playing it!

Lindsey

Movie Battles II Team
The issue isnt Radiant as much as it is JKA's scripting system for siege maps :p

So when I try to load the map, it now actually starts to load! However, once it's done loading an error message pops up saying "Couldn't find spawn point." This is true whether I try duel mode or open.

I'm assuming my map is missing something - the map is currently just a cubic room with 6 info_player_siegeteam1 objects and 6 info_player_siegeteam2 objects and a light source. I also have a .siege file that says this:

Code:
//This file should never exceed 16384 bytes.

Teams
{
    team1 Rebels
    team2 Imperials
}

mapgraphic "gfx/mp/mplevels/samplemap/samplemaplayout"
missionname  "Test Map 1"

roundbegin_target ""
//this is a global target, it will be fired off if there is one when the round begins (this happens
//when there is at least 1 player on each team active)

//All message strings, like message_team1, wonround, etc. can be striped references by having the first char as @.

Rebels
{
    RequiredObjectives 1
    Timed 300
    UseTeam "DeathStar_Rebels"                       

TeamIcon    "gfx/2d/mp_rebel_symbol_3"
    TeamColorOn    "1 0 0 1"
    TeamColorOff    ".7 0 0 1"

Objective1
    {
        goalname "ACCOMPLISH: Defend yourselves!"
        final -1
        message_team1 "We have survived the attack"
        message_team2 "The rebels still are alive!"
        objdesc "ACCOMPLISH: Fend off the Empire's attack!"
        objgfx "gfx/mp/mplevels/samplemap/rebelobjective1"
    }

Objective2
    {
        goalname "ACCOMPLISH: Get to the chopper!"
        final 0
        message_team1 "We got to the chopper!"
        message_team2 "The rebels got to the choppa!"
        objdesc "ACCOMPLISH: Get yourselves to the choppa!"
        objgfx "gfx/mp/mplevels/samplemap/rebelobjective1"
    }

wonround "We have Escaped the Empire"     //Printed to this team if they won the round.
    lostround "The Empire killed us!"                     //Printed to this team if they lost the round.
    roundover_sound_wewon ""
    roundover_sound_welost ""
    roundover_target "siegeend"
    attackers 1                                     //this actually does not affect the mission, but the bot AI will use the knowledge to decide on how to act.

briefing "Fend off the Imperials and get to the chopper!" //Displayed on the mission briefing menu.
}

Imperials
{
    RequiredObjectives 1
    UseTeam "DeathStar_Imperials"
    TeamIcon    "gfx/2d/mp_imp_symbol_3"
    TeamColorOn    "0 0 1 1"
    TeamColorOff    "0 0 .7 1"

Objective1
    {
        goalname "ACCOMPLISH: Kill the Rebels!"
        final 0
        message_team1 "We were defeated!"
        message_team2 "We have Killed the Rebel scum"
        target ""
        objdesc "ACCOMPLISH: Kill the Rebels"
        objgfx "gfx/mp/mplevels/deathstar/empireobjective1"
    }

Objective2
    {
        goalname "ACCOMPLISH: Prevent the Rebels from escaping in the chopper"
        final 1
        message_team1 "The Imperials prevented our escape!"
        message_team2 "We stopped the scum from getting to the chopper!"
        objdesc "ACCOMPLISH: Prevent the Rebels from escaping"
        objgfx "gfx/mp/mplevels/sample/empireobjective2"
    }

wonround "The Rebels have been Captured"
    lostround "Lord Vader will not be Pleased"
    roundover_sound_wewon ""
    roundover_sound_welost ""
    roundover_target "siegeend"
    attackers 0

briefing "Find and eliminate the Rebel group"
}
Just in case someone suspects the problem is in this file instead.

Thanks guys, your quick replies have already been super helpful.

EDIT: I mistakenly said the code was an .arena file but it was the .siege file.

FURTHER UPDATE: Adding in a single info_player_start object into the map allowed me to spawn in. I'm not sure if that's something I should have done at first or if it's a stopgap and bad solution though :D

Last edited:

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
info_player_start should handle the starting point for the spectator camera but I thought it wasn't required (and would just teleport it to another spawn point). Whoops sorry!